New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 144

post #2146 of 2755
I have had a full card with 128gb worth of music for many months and either I am lucky or you are very unlucky I NEVER had problems with it "stalling".

Good luck pal.
post #2147 of 2755

For me I would not say it is a cr..py Ui as I did look the UI that has been post over a year now and know what to expect. Those who think it's a bad UI should have done a little research into what they where buying instead of just buying because it is the latest and greatest.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597981/renewed-at-2012-03-12-the-new-hifiman-802-new-ui-named-tai-chi

http://www.hifiman.com/uidemo/

 

Yes it does have bugs that need to be worked out like most DAPs from small companies on this site and I am sure HiFiman will work out those bugs in time.

 

Just my 2 cents.

post #2148 of 2755

Mine came with a IEM card for free as the standard card had been withdrawn. The is card is well balanced and has great sound stage but I have not used anyother cards

I just compare it against my AK100

post #2149 of 2755

I agree the UI design is a question of taste in the end but I am sorry  those demo are very misleading as the present UI only vaguely look like it. Hopefully the demo represents Hifiman's final  goal.

post #2150 of 2755

Yes I understand what you say. I should have said it's a Porsche quality  player with a Ford Fiesta Dashboard.

'

post #2151 of 2755

My experience with the 901:

 

 - It sounds better than any other DAP and I have owned several top contenders

 - The UI is fine to me. Roll, click, select. The issue is more with the speed of  the UI when you have 128G. But not slower than the AK120 when both cards are filled

 - All my FLAC tags are recognized apparently

 

 - However, if you decide to use another way of navigating then by folder, it usually does not work...it is a bit messed up

 - I wish the now playing worked so I could know where I stopped last time

 - For me the only TRUE problem is that the UI is not stable. It can freeze at any time and require a reset

post #2152 of 2755

Personally I only use folders as some tags such as Album Artist are not properly recognised. I use Jriver to transfer music and it is pretty flexible in the way it can arrange folders structure on the Sd card.  I mainly listen to entire  albums so that's work pretty well for me.

I also wish the wheel was easier to turn and had some kind of grip or rubberised feel to it. I often press the middle button when spinning too fast.

post #2153 of 2755
Ditto. Folder nav 100% of the time.
post #2154 of 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

Ditto. Folder nav 100% of the time.

 

Me too, but because I have no other choice :)

post #2155 of 2755
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post
 

...

However, so far I think the sound is sublime - no less, and this is the "reason d'être" for this DAP. Haven't tested it against my HM-801 yet though. And I really like the form factor: size and weight.

 

...

 

Eagerly awaiting your comparison with the HM801!  Thanks LHP.

post #2156 of 2755
If Dr Fang Bian is listening please give us some FW update smily_headphones1.gif
post #2157 of 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post
 

Eagerly awaiting your comparison with the HM801!  Thanks LHP.

The 901 sounds so RIGHT. Not dark or bright and neither digital or analog. It sounds natural, effortless and assured.

 

Even though the 801 is a very, very good sounding DAP, it has it's limitations in terms of hardware: No amp card has even close to lower than 1 Ohm output impedance, at low level with highly sensitive IEMs there is channel imbalance, it won't play 88.2kHz files and some 44.1 and 48kHz 24bit files are played as 16bit (or is this a firmware issue?).

Just buy the HM-901 :L3000::D:p:veryevil:

 

I expect the HM-901 UI / firmware issues will be solved, as I earlier said.

 

A comparison will come up, but at the moment the "new toy" has it's time ...

post #2158 of 2755

What are the improvements in the UI version 1.081 beta over the 1.080 (besides the not so well DSD support) ?

Any drawbacks of the 1.081 beta?

post #2159 of 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post
 

What are the improvements in the UI version 1.081 beta over the 1.080 (besides the not so well DSD support) ?

Any drawbacks of the 1.081 beta?

 

1.081 beta's UI is faster than 1.080

post #2160 of 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsimpson6994 View Post

Mine came with a IEM card for free as the standard card had been withdrawn. The is card is well balanced and has great sound stage but I have not used anyother cards
I just compare it against my AK100
I got mine with the standard card and then bought the iem card. I did it cos currently I'm using the se535 and the se846 are on the way. I would say that the iem card sound more fluent and detailed with iems, meanwhile the standard card sound congested. The standard card sounds pretty good in low gain with iems but the iem card does it better. It's a better match. Of course if you're going to use full size cans the iem card is weak. But the reason to be of the iem card is the gain match with high sensitive iems.
Some have reported the balanced card sounding great with the se846 but I had no chance to compare them.
If you want to run full size cans I will recommend the standard card if you want longer battery life or you have low impedance cans.
Edited by fermelom - 9/14/13 at 2:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear