New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 143

post #2131 of 3128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
Not good enough for HE-400 but sounds great with HE-6  :confused:

That's either because we hear things differently or that the HE-6 simply is a better headphone - or that it has better synergy. Having had the HE-400 (but no longer), I would say (to me) it's more likely to be the SQ of the HE-6 that makes it pull ahead and then the sound signature secondly. I don't find HE-6 bass-weak with the Balanced amp, however, this is only first impressions of course. But surely - it won't play LOUD with HE-6.

post #2132 of 3128

how do you guys rate the LOD of 901? I understand that most of you prefer to swap amp card to achieve different SS, but I am just bit paranoid to receive a faulty card... so I may pursue different amp iso amp card... just for fun, not necessity...

 

thanks.

post #2133 of 3128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post
 

That's either because we hear things differently or that the HE-6 simply is a better headphone - or that it has better synergy. Having had the HE-400 (but no longer), I would say (to me) it's more likely to be the SQ of the HE-6 that makes it pull ahead and then the sound signature secondly. I don't find HE-6 bass-weak with the Balanced amp, however, this is only first impressions of course. But surely - it won't play LOUD with HE-6.

 

I nearly ordered the hifiman TRRS cable for my HE-6 but decided not to bother at the last minute,

What desktop amp are you using to power your HE-6?

 

I tried the LOD stright into my TEAC amp, which I used with my HE-6 and thought it sounded superb, slightly cleaner that the internal DAC of the 501DA.

post #2134 of 3128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

 

I nearly ordered the hifiman TRRS cable for my HE-6 but decided not to bother at the last minute,

What desktop amp are you using to power your HE-6?

 

I tried the LOD stright into my TEAC amp, which I used with my HE-6 and thought it sounded superb, slightly cleaner that the internal DAC of the 501DA.

I use Burson Soloist and Audio-gd Master 6 (7W in 50 Ohm).

post #2135 of 3128

I can't see myself using the HE-6 as portable when on the move but you got me curious. The HE-500 should also sound great....

post #2136 of 3128

I have a few firmware issues with the player -

 

Won't play AAC/ M4A files 

 

No sound - but a reset sorts this 

 

No artwork unless its an MP3

 

Why did they release this with so many bugs ??

 

More testing please HIFIMAN 

post #2137 of 3128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsimpson6994 View Post
 

I have a few firmware issues with the player -

 

Won't play AAC/ M4A files 

 

No sound - but a reset sorts this 

 

No artwork unless its an MP3

 

Why did they release this with so many bugs ??

 

More testing please HIFIMAN 

We agree that there are several bugs that needs to be fixed.

 

However, so far I think the sound is sublime - no less, and this is the "reason d'être" for this DAP. Haven't tested it against my HM-801 yet though. And I really like the form factor: size and weight.

 

I have encountered some bugs, that are firmware related, but I expect these to be fixed sooner or later. One issue, which most likely isn't firmware-related (and this disturbs me), is that channels are reversed - both in single ended mode and line out, but not with balanced output. If it  was reversed from all output options I wouldn't be so surprised or worried.

 

Software bugs that I have encountered (kernel 2.9 and UI 1.080):

 

Tagging:

1. Various artists - albums are listed as one album per artist(!) This really should be fixed ASAP.

2. Not all album art is shown (with jpg-file in album folder)

3. When selecting Genre all tracks in that genre is shown in one long list with all track no. 1 first, then all track no. 2 etc. When selecting Genre, we should be able so see a list of albums in that genre where we then can select which album to play. 

 

Firmware:

1. In the beginning of tracks the first sound is often missing / cut off (when selecting a new song).

2. When skipping to next track, the last few seconds of the currently playing track is played and then the new track is played just fine. This is annoying, but not a huge problem, just odd.

 

-

And then a whish: I'd like to see more of the album art. Now it's cut off in top and bottom and a big grey "shadow" covers the upper half of it.

post #2138 of 3128

Yes I agree with although those issues -  Why didn't they bring out a finished article like the Fiio x3 perfect device 

but it sounds no where near as good as the 901 

 

Come on  HIFIMAN solve the issues !!!!!!

post #2139 of 3128

Most people agree it sounds superb but the sluggish UI and problems with tagging sadly take some of the enjoyment away.

Navigating 128gb of music is very cumbersome. This DAP really need some kind of search function and a more fluid/smoother list scrolling.

Compilations appearing as different albums is really bugging me and I would also wish to have artist displayed when navigating through albums.

Many people complain about the  buggy DX50 but I found it a joy to use compared to  the HM-901, which doesn't feel right.

I really hope Hifiman is hard at work to improve the user experience.

Personally I would completely redesign the UI as there is nothing I like about it, but yes, you get incredibly  close to the sound of a very good desktop setup in a very small package.

Come on Hifiman, get working! :D

post #2140 of 3128

I Agree with all your comments . The 901 is amazing when it comes to packing out the sound but the UI is crap and not well thought out.

 

I also own a Fiio X3 with is fault less and only £159 . Which I use on my travels - if that had dual Dacs it would give the 901 a run for its money.

 

Come on HIFIMAN  -

 

Less have a bug free device 

 

Less have decent Firmware

 

Less have an inspiration UI 

 

If you need some guidance buy and play  with the AK120 it gives you a run for your money !!!!! 

post #2141 of 3128

The track details overlaid on top the album artworks, when they are displayed, is also lame. Same with the pointless animations that try hard but fail to look cool. No need to reinvent the wheel, just stick with what works and is functional.


Edited by zenpunk - 9/12/13 at 3:09pm
post #2142 of 3128

Honestly I haven't encountered much problems with my 901 besides M4As not playing properly, but I love it all the same. I can work around the problems I guess :)

post #2143 of 3128

Personally my 901 has been working just fine, no problems at all. I must be lucky :p

post #2144 of 3128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

We agree that there are several bugs that needs to be fixed.

However, so far I think the sound is sublime - no less, and this is the "reason d'être" for this DAP. Haven't tested it against my HM-801 yet though. And I really like the form factor: size and weight.

I have encountered some bugs, that are firmware related, but I expect these to be fixed sooner or later. One issue, which most likely isn't firmware-related (and this disturbs me), is that channels are reversed - both in single ended mode and line out, but not with balanced output. If it  was reversed from all output options I wouldn't be so surprised or worried.

Software bugs that I have encountered (kernel 2.9 and UI 1.080):

Tagging:
1. Various artists - albums are listed as one album per artist(!) This really should be fixed ASAP.
2. Not all album art is shown (with jpg-file in album folder)
3. When selecting Genre all tracks in that genre is shown in one long list with all track no. 1 first, then all track no. 2 etc. When selecting Genre, we should be able so see a list of albums in that genre where we then can select which album to play. 

Firmware:
1. In the beginning of tracks the first sound is often missing / cut off (when selecting a new song).
2. When skipping to next track, the last few seconds of the currently playing track is played and then the new track is played just fine. This is annoying, but not a huge problem, just odd.

-
And then a whish: I'd like to see more of the album art. Now it's cut off in top and bottom and a big grey "shadow" covers the upper half of it.

I have found that if the album art "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" is less than 230x230 pixels in size it displays as full size square as opposed to a cropped rectangle!
post #2145 of 3128
Yet another firmware issue!

Now that I have a full 128GB of music on my card, I can't llay any songs in all songs mode, When I click a track it just stalls every time. If i go from artists mode while a track is playing to all songs and try to play a track the previous song just keeps playing and the screen stalls on the stuck selected track.

I think i'll re-install the firmware or delete every file in my albums that is not a track or cover art.

HM-901.... Gorgeous sound!
Currently el-crappo UI (must be honest).
Really hoping all these irritating bugs are ironed out soon!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear