New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 139

post #2071 of 2947
mine plays m4a fine. i have a ton of m4a files since I recently just migrated from an ipod classic to an AK120, then now to an HM901. Havent had any problems at all.

I am on firmware 1.08 as of now
Edited by eargo - 9/7/13 at 5:50am
post #2072 of 2947

Thank you - is the AK120 as good as the HIFIMAN HM901 in sound terms. I wish I had bought the AK120  now due to the issues

I have had - I may send it back to them.

post #2073 of 2947
I swapped in my extreme pro card that I use in my dslr, and the speed is marginally faster- not enough for it to make a difference so im back to the cheap ones for the 901.

I hope they really refactor their firmware code and optimise it better for speed.
post #2074 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsimpson6994 View Post

Thank you - is the AK120 as good as the HIFIMAN HM901 in sound terms. I wish I had bought the AK120  now due to the issues
I have had - I may send it back to them.

In my opinion, both the AK120 and the HM901 are very good sounding. Slightly different tonality, with the HM901 having a slightly more aggressive sound compared to the AK120. AK120 is a bit warmer and smooth sounding. The AK120 benefits greatly from external amping. I used the AK120 with my 2stepdance and its a big improvement over the internal amp of the AK120.
post #2075 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post

I swapped in my extreme pro card that I use in my dslr, and the speed is marginally faster- not enough for it to make a difference so im back to the cheap ones for the 901.

I hope they really refactor their firmware code and optimise it better for speed.

What's the read speed of the two cards you compared?

post #2076 of 2947

great.Its the most expensive player I've yet seen but customers seem to love it nevertheless.

21.gif

post #2077 of 2947

Sorry it's the standard that has been withdrawn - the balanced is OK - Does your ARTWORK SHOW ?

post #2078 of 2947

Its the stock fault not the balanced  - mine was swapped  

post #2079 of 2947

yep I am thinking of an AK120 - the battery is better as a start on no problems with buggy interface 

post #2080 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsimpson6994 View Post

Sorry it's the standard that has been withdrawn - the balanced is OK - Does your ARTWORK SHOW ?

Yes it does but there are a few issues with it. The player will not read embedded artwork on FLAC files, however if I put a cover.jpg in the same folder it works.

The real problem I see is you have not had a chance to critically enjoy the 901's sound. I think once you get past this hump, you will be pleasantly surprised just how wonderful sounding this player is (even compared to the AK120, kkcc had both for many moons, the 901 is the one he constantly reaches for).
post #2081 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

What's the read speed of the two cards you compared?

The regular one has no brand it just says 32gb smily_headphones1.gif

The sandisk pro extreme can read at 90mb/s.
post #2082 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

Yes it does but there are a few issues with it. The player will not read embedded artwork on FLAC files, however if I put a cover.jpg in the same folder it works.

The real problem I see is you have not had a chance to critically enjoy the 901's sound. I think once you get past this hump, you will be pleasantly surprised just how wonderful sounding this player is (even compared to the AK120, kkcc had both for many moons, the 901 is the one he constantly reaches for).

I may sell my ak120 or get the rwak120s/b mod. dx50 took its place as the sleek looking/pocketable/long battery life/good sounding standalone dap role.....

bartsimpson6994 if 901 (ess9018) type sound doesn't work for you and your preference is the wolfson, make sure you try the dx50 before coughing up the dough for ak120..... esp if you don't plan on using it for usb dac and dsd files... may save you a few coins!
post #2083 of 2947

Yes thanks for that the DX50 looks amazing - better than the AK100 - I also own a Fii0 X3 which sound great ideal for the Gym at only £!59 -

 

I also have a very old Nationite Sflo 2 with dual dacs with a very dodge UI but it also sounds very very good.

post #2084 of 2947

I finally got an answer from Head-Direct:

 

The read speed of the HM-901 is 35MB/s.

 

This explains why a faster card will give shorter scan times.

However, cards with faster than the specified speed won't yield any faster scan times.

post #2085 of 2947

What is better, the balanced amp card or a dedicated portable amp (Pico Power, RSA, ALO, etc)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear