New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 103

post #1531 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

 

These aren't hard and fast.  Balanced mode expand the soundstage and clarity, works for some tracks (e.g. large classical works), meh for other (e.g. trance/amine) so it really depends.  But since the balance card's SE mode isn't materially inferior to the minibox, I don't feel the need to keep it together with, or keep it over, the balanced card.  I think the decision comes down to if you'd plan on getting the RE600 or balanced cable(s) for your other IEM/CIEMs.  If you are absolutely sure you aren't going balanced, minibox would save you a couple hundred RMB.

I agree. I love the airiness and soundstage on the balanced mode, but the mids suffer. I keep going back and forth on Balanced vs SE...

post #1532 of 2941

Where is the EQ option? I'm thinking of EQing up the mids a bit...

post #1533 of 2941

I don't think there is one...

post #1534 of 2941
That's a shame. Hm801 has eq but the quality is awful.. Back to single ended mode for me then. That being said balanced works great on some phones eg my um3x, with very forward mids.
post #1535 of 2941
Double post
Edited by jelt2359 - 8/19/13 at 5:36am
post #1536 of 2941
Just received my 901. Box looks and feels impressive. The device feels pretty cheap however I would sacrifice that for good quality audio. Put in my sd card music loads up fine no issue there. Boy I just hope the sound quality will improve out of the box my Combo of HTC one and Fiio E12 is certainly on par with it. Using hd 600s with the standard amp card. Hope I have made the right decision. There is certainly a lack of power to my mind. Manual doesn't exactly inspire confidence either cheaply printed and not very thorough. Please tell me that it will sound different in twenty hours otherwise I'll have to say goodbye
post #1537 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsreference View Post

Just received my 901. Box looks and feels impressive. The device feels pretty cheap however I would sacrifice that for good quality audio. Put in my sd card music loads up fine no issue there. Boy I just hope the sound quality will improve out of the box my Combo of HTC one and Fiio E12 is certainly on par with it. Using hd 600s with the standard amp card. Hope I have made the right decision. There is certainly a lack of power to my mind. Manual doesn't exactly inspire confidence either cheaply printed and not very thorough. Please tell me that it will sound different in twenty hours otherwise I'll have to say goodbye

Maybe get the balanced card, seems everyone is saying the standard one sounds the worst. Also you need to burn it in for a few days.
post #1538 of 2941

Thought I'd share my brief thoughts on this combination - firstly yes it's bulky. With that out of the way, sonically I do prefer the signature of the TUR-06 amp than the balance out of the HM-901. With warm bassy earphones like the FitEar MH335DW and TO GO! 334, the TUR-06 amp seems to even out and make the overall signature a little more tonally balanced.

 

The balanced amp module in HM-901 (when used in SE mode) is somewhat warmer and doesn't seem to suit headphones/earphones that are already naturally warm (unless one likes warm signatures in the first place).

 

With the combination below I find I get a big even signature with a large hall-styled soundstage.

 

post #1539 of 2941
The balanced amp is warm sounding? Anyone could tell me which card sounds more neutral?
post #1540 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

The balanced amp is warm sounding? Anyone could tell me which card sounds more neutral?

My take is that the balanced amp board bring out whatever sig the hp/iem inherently have and make it more prominent rather than having a strong bias or coloration itself. The higher output generally make notes fuller and may be perceived as lusher/warmer. However I did not find any of the iem/minibox/balanced board warm or mid centric as say the 801. I still find ak120 a bit warmer than 901 with any of these board, which in turn warmer than dx100.

In fact I am hoping to get a warmer/more mid centric board, or just a vastly different sig for some tube type or LP type sig etc. The current offerings from hifiman are more similar than different to own multiple of them.
post #1541 of 2941
Thanks kkcc, as I do not find the ak120 excessively warm with current firmware, I should be fine.
post #1542 of 2941

External battery charger and line out cable now available at HeadDirect web store.


Edited by OddJobs - 8/19/13 at 9:59am
post #1543 of 2941
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJobs View Post

External battery charger and line out cable now available at HeadDirect web store.

 

Wish they would make one for the HM801 battery.

post #1544 of 2941
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post

That's a shame. Hm801 has eq but the quality is awful.. Back to single ended mode for me then. That being said balanced works great on some phones eg my um3x, with very forward mids.

HM801 had EQ with some older firmware versions, but not with the latest firmware.

post #1545 of 2941
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

Anyone tried JH16s with the HM901 yet and if so are they a good match?  Thanks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


Yes and yes.

 

Thanks and thanks.  What amp do you have?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear