Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 10/20/13 at 12:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Help! Colorfly C4 pro and hifiman 901 which one is better? Last post on 10/24/13 at 2:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- WTB: Colorfly C4 32GB or Ibasso DX100 Last post on 9/12/13 at 10:18pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- xduoo X3-B High-end- DAP Last post on 9/24/13 at 6:59am in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe better...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
HM-901 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 252910/20/12 at 9:07pmQuote:
Judging from what Headfi members say (and there are more than five owners) The Terra Player is THE single best sounding portable device.. Check it out properly before being dismissive..post #18 of 252910/20/12 at 10:23pmpost #19 of 252910/21/12 at 12:21pmQuote:
Not many folks know what is inside an iPod or iPhone, but a lot of them buy one (or more) anyhow!post #20 of 252910/21/12 at 2:08pmpost #21 of 252910/21/12 at 5:57pmThread Starter
... and neither the iPod nor the iPhone cost any where near $1000.
I'm hanging on to my HM801 until we have enough proof that the HM901 is worth the extra expense (if the price really ends up around $1000).post #22 of 252910/22/12 at 4:44pm
801 sounds really good to my ears with IEMs that are on the colder side of the spectrum. DX100 is very neutral, great soundstage, great power, good bass control, extremely neutral mids and smooth high (on 1.1.7). So far dx100 sounds better than 801 IMO (with the right surgery, of course. JH16 sounds much better on 801 than dx100)
I heard 901 sounds like a 801 with better treble extension (obviously). So that means, if you don't like mid forward DAC, 901 won't be your taste either.
So I am pretty interested in getting one since it's relatively more neutral, smaller, better design, longer battery (hopefully).
And hifiman please make the UI bug free!post #23 of 252910/22/12 at 6:39pmpost #24 of 252910/22/12 at 6:46pmQuote:
Not true at all. Try purchasing an iphone unlocked that will cost you around $700 and probably more for a newer model. So it's not so far-fetched at all.post #25 of 252910/22/12 at 6:48pmQuote:
Yeah its known already but that doesn't mean it will sound double as good or even better. Implementation is where it's really gonna count. Until there are several reviews that point to the Hifiman sounding better than the DX100 I'm gonna remain skeptical. Plus if there are any UI issues at all I'll just skip it. At least from what I am hearing it is slightly better sounding than the original 801 with more extension to the treble. That alone doesn't mean it will sound better than the DX100. We'll have to see.post #26 of 252910/23/12 at 5:52am
I'm curious about the 901 (and would buy it), but I'm growing impatient as time goes on.
I remember Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's “FlipStart” from 2003-4. The FlipStart was suppose to be THE portable device solution. It was suppose to quickly start in Pocket PC (CE) mode on an outer screen, but also had a full Windows OS capability by "flipping" it open. Various reviewers had gotten their hands on test units and there was talk and leaks for years. It was finally released toward the end of 2007 after the iPhone came out (and no one cared anymore).
HifiMAN can sit on its thumbs for only so long before either that ESS Sabre DAC becomes common or the community concludes that solutions similar to the PP6 and JH3a are preferable (and few care anymore). We'll see. So far the 901 (like the FlipStart) is vaporware.post #27 of 252910/28/12 at 7:03pmQuote:
What's the advantage of using 2 dacs instead of one if your are not using them to produce a balanced output?
(I have the same question for portable dacs like the Ibasso D12)
For me it's a substation increase in price without being so obvious for me the advantage, at least this is my impression. My question is not about the perceived increase on SQ, but what are the roots of such increase in technical basis.post #28 of 252910/28/12 at 7:09pm
I think the Hifiman has the ability to produce balanced output so that may be the reason for it. Not sure if it's able to do that stock though without purchasing the more pricy amp? In that case if you are right then it's kinda wrong and is adding and extra cost to an already expensive purchase (nickel and dimming).
post #29 of 252910/28/12 at 11:45pmpost #30 of 252910/29/12 at 6:40am
My Iphone 5 - 32 gig was £600 ( $930) and it sounds worse than a Clip.
$999 is a good price point for a hi end player, if it is bug free, and sounds better than the 801
I've spent more on cables.
never understood why such large memory is commanded here??, I have a bag of SDs and Micro SDs to use with my Hm-601 or Studio-v both into a Voyager. I never run out of music.
I bet by the time it hits the UK it'll be £999 ie $1550 plus docking station that I would never use.
It will probably have no decent dealer support in the UK if it goes wrong.
So I am looking for a used HM-801
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Sennhesier HD201 with built in powered preamp and single sided cable 42 seconds ago
- › Headphones for EDM/Video editing 1 minute ago
- › Why not beats by Dre? 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 4 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude