Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP Last post on 11/22/15 at 5:33am in Portable Source Gear
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 3/31/14 at 11:51am in Portable Source Gear
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 3/28/16 at 12:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space? Last post on 1/19/14 at 7:32pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
I first started with the ath a900x which i fell in love with. Recently they broke, and i did not have the money to purchases them again or the newer model. So i took a chance and got the a550z, for...
-Introduction- RHA is an interesting company. It has forged its own place within the audiophile world, making a name for itself based on the industrial design language of its products and the...
Welcome to the review of wireless + Wired High resolution in ear monitors Advanced Model 3. Disclaimer: This headphones were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
HM-901 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Judging from what Headfi members say (and there are more than five owners) The Terra Player is THE single best sounding portable device.. Check it out properly before being dismissive..
Not many folks know what is inside an iPod or iPhone, but a lot of them buy one (or more) anyhow!
... and neither the iPod nor the iPhone cost any where near $1000.
I'm hanging on to my HM801 until we have enough proof that the HM901 is worth the extra expense (if the price really ends up around $1000).
801 sounds really good to my ears with IEMs that are on the colder side of the spectrum. DX100 is very neutral, great soundstage, great power, good bass control, extremely neutral mids and smooth high (on 1.1.7). So far dx100 sounds better than 801 IMO (with the right surgery, of course. JH16 sounds much better on 801 than dx100)
I heard 901 sounds like a 801 with better treble extension (obviously). So that means, if you don't like mid forward DAC, 901 won't be your taste either.
So I am pretty interested in getting one since it's relatively more neutral, smaller, better design, longer battery (hopefully).
And hifiman please make the UI bug free!
Not true at all. Try purchasing an iphone unlocked that will cost you around $700 and probably more for a newer model. So it's not so far-fetched at all.
Yeah its known already but that doesn't mean it will sound double as good or even better. Implementation is where it's really gonna count. Until there are several reviews that point to the Hifiman sounding better than the DX100 I'm gonna remain skeptical. Plus if there are any UI issues at all I'll just skip it. At least from what I am hearing it is slightly better sounding than the original 801 with more extension to the treble. That alone doesn't mean it will sound better than the DX100. We'll have to see.
I'm curious about the 901 (and would buy it), but I'm growing impatient as time goes on.
I remember Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's “FlipStart” from 2003-4. The FlipStart was suppose to be THE portable device solution. It was suppose to quickly start in Pocket PC (CE) mode on an outer screen, but also had a full Windows OS capability by "flipping" it open. Various reviewers had gotten their hands on test units and there was talk and leaks for years. It was finally released toward the end of 2007 after the iPhone came out (and no one cared anymore).
HifiMAN can sit on its thumbs for only so long before either that ESS Sabre DAC becomes common or the community concludes that solutions similar to the PP6 and JH3a are preferable (and few care anymore). We'll see. So far the 901 (like the FlipStart) is vaporware.
What's the advantage of using 2 dacs instead of one if your are not using them to produce a balanced output?
(I have the same question for portable dacs like the Ibasso D12)
For me it's a substation increase in price without being so obvious for me the advantage, at least this is my impression. My question is not about the perceived increase on SQ, but what are the roots of such increase in technical basis.
I think the Hifiman has the ability to produce balanced output so that may be the reason for it. Not sure if it's able to do that stock though without purchasing the more pricy amp? In that case if you are right then it's kinda wrong and is adding and extra cost to an already expensive purchase (nickel and dimming).
My Iphone 5 - 32 gig was £600 ( $930) and it sounds worse than a Clip.
$999 is a good price point for a hi end player, if it is bug free, and sounds better than the 801
I've spent more on cables.
never understood why such large memory is commanded here??, I have a bag of SDs and Micro SDs to use with my Hm-601 or Studio-v both into a Voyager. I never run out of music.
I bet by the time it hits the UK it'll be £999 ie $1550 plus docking station that I would never use.
It will probably have no decent dealer support in the UK if it goes wrong.
So I am looking for a used HM-801
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 58 seconds ago
- › TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants... 3 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 4 minutes ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 5 minutes ago
- › Need help deciding if a Fiio X3 is worth it for my situation 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 5 minutes ago
- › 13th Calgary Head-Fi Meet - Postponed to October 16 (Sunday) 5 minutes ago
- › Expatinjapan review thread index 5 minutes ago
- › WTB: Ether C 1.1/Alpha Prime/TOTL Closed can 5 minutes ago
- › Want to Control Speakers/Sub and Headphones Through Separate Volume... 6 minutes ago
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › RHA T20 by Cinder
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...