Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP Last post on 3/9/15 at 12:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 3/31/14 at 11:51am in Portable Source Gear
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 10/20/13 at 12:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space? Last post on 1/19/14 at 7:32pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
These headphones are a steal for the msrp price (don't mind that I got a killer deal). I haven't heard any headphone come close to achieving the textures achieved by the PSBs. The chunkiness...
I bought this headphone as part of a search for an birthday present for my little brother (going for that brother of the year award, he deserved it). I tested and listened to the DT 770 pro 32 ohm...
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
HM-901 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Judging from what Headfi members say (and there are more than five owners) The Terra Player is THE single best sounding portable device.. Check it out properly before being dismissive..
Not many folks know what is inside an iPod or iPhone, but a lot of them buy one (or more) anyhow!
... and neither the iPod nor the iPhone cost any where near $1000.
I'm hanging on to my HM801 until we have enough proof that the HM901 is worth the extra expense (if the price really ends up around $1000).
801 sounds really good to my ears with IEMs that are on the colder side of the spectrum. DX100 is very neutral, great soundstage, great power, good bass control, extremely neutral mids and smooth high (on 1.1.7). So far dx100 sounds better than 801 IMO (with the right surgery, of course. JH16 sounds much better on 801 than dx100)
I heard 901 sounds like a 801 with better treble extension (obviously). So that means, if you don't like mid forward DAC, 901 won't be your taste either.
So I am pretty interested in getting one since it's relatively more neutral, smaller, better design, longer battery (hopefully).
And hifiman please make the UI bug free!
Not true at all. Try purchasing an iphone unlocked that will cost you around $700 and probably more for a newer model. So it's not so far-fetched at all.
Yeah its known already but that doesn't mean it will sound double as good or even better. Implementation is where it's really gonna count. Until there are several reviews that point to the Hifiman sounding better than the DX100 I'm gonna remain skeptical. Plus if there are any UI issues at all I'll just skip it. At least from what I am hearing it is slightly better sounding than the original 801 with more extension to the treble. That alone doesn't mean it will sound better than the DX100. We'll have to see.
I'm curious about the 901 (and would buy it), but I'm growing impatient as time goes on.
I remember Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's “FlipStart” from 2003-4. The FlipStart was suppose to be THE portable device solution. It was suppose to quickly start in Pocket PC (CE) mode on an outer screen, but also had a full Windows OS capability by "flipping" it open. Various reviewers had gotten their hands on test units and there was talk and leaks for years. It was finally released toward the end of 2007 after the iPhone came out (and no one cared anymore).
HifiMAN can sit on its thumbs for only so long before either that ESS Sabre DAC becomes common or the community concludes that solutions similar to the PP6 and JH3a are preferable (and few care anymore). We'll see. So far the 901 (like the FlipStart) is vaporware.
What's the advantage of using 2 dacs instead of one if your are not using them to produce a balanced output?
(I have the same question for portable dacs like the Ibasso D12)
For me it's a substation increase in price without being so obvious for me the advantage, at least this is my impression. My question is not about the perceived increase on SQ, but what are the roots of such increase in technical basis.
I think the Hifiman has the ability to produce balanced output so that may be the reason for it. Not sure if it's able to do that stock though without purchasing the more pricy amp? In that case if you are right then it's kinda wrong and is adding and extra cost to an already expensive purchase (nickel and dimming).
My Iphone 5 - 32 gig was £600 ( $930) and it sounds worse than a Clip.
$999 is a good price point for a hi end player, if it is bug free, and sounds better than the 801
I've spent more on cables.
never understood why such large memory is commanded here??, I have a bag of SDs and Micro SDs to use with my Hm-601 or Studio-v both into a Voyager. I never run out of music.
I bet by the time it hits the UK it'll be £999 ie $1550 plus docking station that I would never use.
It will probably have no decent dealer support in the UK if it goes wrong.
So I am looking for a used HM-801
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 1 second ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015 1 minute ago
- › Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing... 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399 4 minutes ago
- › New Releases 2015 - No Records Released Before 2015 5 minutes ago
- › GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 8 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 8 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2