New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 83

post #1231 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

In which case, as I remarked earlier, customers get unnecessarily screwed.

That's no way to treat customers who have already waited far longer than their Chinese mainland counterparts.

Well there are a few ways to think about it:

1. I'm screwed as I'm a sucker and can't prevent myself from buying something that I feel would screw me over.

2. I know I want the balanced amp but can't wait to purchase it NOW with the standard amp. It's just an early adopter premium.

3. Assuming balanced board is extra $250 bringing the total to $1,249 I am buying the best sounding all-in-one DAP for $1,249. OH btw, I'm getting a free extra std board just to fool around with my other really low impedance or extra sensitive IEMs.

On the other 901 thread kenz just got happily screwed and find the std board already sounded better than his dx100+rx mk3 combo.... smily_headphones1.gif

And we aren't even sure if international distributors didn't have a choice on combo offering. As least the Japanese ones have and did offered. Best is to get your usual retailer to get you the combo you wanted if you are at all interested in buying and not getting screwed.
Edited by kkcc - 7/13/13 at 5:35am
post #1232 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

What's the sound quality like with the 'no amp' option?

 

Very low output impedance, I should imagine...popcorn.gif

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

I -think- and I've not tried this with my HM-901 yet...but no amp board means line out? Can anyone else confirm?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

From what i understand the international version is the standard amp is the default package.

 

The balanced amp is an additional accessory to be purchased.

 

I don't know if there is an international version. The way I see what Japan's Hifiman distributor (twctokyo) has offered, I'm tempted to say that Hifiman has offered a suite of options like a menu system to their distributors and it's up to them to decide what they want to bring into their countries for their local retailers.

 

In Japan's case, the aforementioned options had been decided since early this year and at least 2 retailers offer the same HM-901 package combinations. But from HF it seems the choices of boards are larger. I still don't know what this minibox is and how it's different from the other amp modules.

post #1233 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

I -think- and I've not tried this with my HM-901 yet...but no amp board means line out? Can anyone else confirm?

 

 

I don't know if there is an international version. The way I see what Japan's Hifiman distributor (twctokyo) has offered, I'm tempted to say that Hifiman has offered a suite of options like a menu system to their distributors and it's up to them to decide what they want to bring into their countries for their local retailers.

 

In Japan's case, the aforementioned options had been decided since early this year and at least 2 retailers offer the same HM-901 package combinations. But from HF it seems the choices of boards are larger. I still don't know what this minibox is and how it's different from the other amp modules.

 

Yes, there is. Mine smile.gif

 

It's the batch that's meant for out of China sale. And the package comes with the standard amp card. Balance card separate.

MiniBox amp still unavailable.

post #1234 of 2943

Where can I get hold of an english version of the HM901 manual. ALthough operating the unit is quite straight forward, would still like to know what is written in the manual.

post #1235 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

I -think- and I've not tried this with my HM-901 yet...but no amp board means line out? Can anyone else confirm?

 

 

Yes with no amp board it can do line out only via the LOD.

post #1236 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

 

Yes, there is. Mine smile.gif

 

It's the batch that's meant for out of China sale. And the package comes with the standard amp card. Balance card separate.

MiniBox amp still unavailable.

 

Well, at least Moon Audio is planning to carry the MiniBox amp, even though they don't have a date for it yet, but then again, for something so lightweight, I can foresee that many people may just order the MiniBox amp card direct from China (unless it was made available instead of the standard amp module, at point of sale of the HM-901, so as to make it economically worthwhile).

 

 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671571/new-hifiman-hm-901-high-fidelity-portable-music-player-now-in-stock-free-shipping-in-the-u-s-at-moon-audio-com#post_9612613

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drubrew View Post

We will have the Balanced card and the MiniBox card (which I dont know what this one is yet). I dont have a date yet. The balanced will be $299 and minibox will be $249.

 
post #1237 of 2943

As said earlier - the Minibox amp can be bought with the HM-901 alone. That is - you get the HM-901 with Minibox amp only - as one of several choices (in China).

post #1238 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

As said earlier - the Minibox amp can be bought with the HM-901 alone. That is - you get the HM-901 with Minibox amp only - as one of several choices (in China).

What is the Minibox as opposed to the other two cards?

post #1239 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

As said earlier - the Minibox amp can be bought with the HM-901 alone. That is - you get the HM-901 with Minibox amp only - as one of several choices (in China).

 

 

As said earlier, I'm not referring to China...

post #1240 of 2943
Is there enough juice from the balanced amp for the HE-6?

EDIT: Did a thread search, 447mw. Hmmm...anyone try it? I thought the HE-6 needed like 5Ws? Time to do some math, sigh.
Edited by Trogdor - 7/13/13 at 2:08pm
post #1241 of 2943
I have the Balanced amp for my HM-801 and it's 440mW. It sounds quite nice and I really enjoy the sound of that killer combo, but I wouldn't call it close to the full potential of the HE-6.
post #1242 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

Is there enough juice from the balanced amp for the HE-6?

EDIT: Did a thread search, 447mw. Hmmm...anyone try it? I thought the HE-6 needed like 5Ws? Time to do some math, sigh.

 

They is also supposed to be releasing a higher powered amp board (>6V) for full size cans.  It's being called U235 (as in the uranium!?) but no words on price/availability yet.  

 

On other note, I do read from erji the IEM board is being manufactured and may be available in China soon.  Overall info are still pretty vague and gathering info in various thread it seem This uses the IEM board would use "half the components" of the balanced board and is a single ended circuit.  Fang was mentioning the circuit board real estate freed up will be used for enhanced circuitry to improve tuning blah blah blah.  My read from all these amp board talk makes me believe from a power output and component quantity/cost perspectives:

 

U235 card > Balanced card (4x OPA 627, 4x BUF634) > Minibox card (3x OPA 627, 3x BUF634) >= IEM card (?? 2x of 627/634 ??)> Standard card  (1x AD8397)

 

Pricing would probably also reflect that.  

post #1243 of 2943

Not sure if it is in this or the other 901 thread, someone jokingly asked if it would drive passive speakers.  Well the dude who DIYed a discrete class A amp board (which he is also selling/sending samples to others) put up a vid showing his amp board does indeed drive a 5.5inch 8-ohm passive speaker with the 901:

 

http://translate.google.com.hk/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTgyNTY2MzQ4.html

 

(warning: the narration is in mandarin, no subtitles, crappy home-made video, speaker test starting around 4mins mark, akg k540 before that, and vid didn't show in Chrome for me, ok in IE)


Edited by kkcc - 7/13/13 at 4:17pm
post #1244 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

On the other 901 thread kenz just got happily screwed and find the std board already sounded better than his dx100+rx mk3 combo.... smily_headphones1.gif
 

 

biggrin.gif yeah. was wondering if my ears were screwed and did a few A/B between the HM-901 and DX100+MK3B stack.

but yea... the DX100+MK3B stack still sounded better over the HM-901 with standard amp, the trade off in sound is worth the size difference.

post #1245 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

They is also supposed to be releasing a higher powered amp board (>6V) for full size cans.  It's being called U235 (as in the uranium!?) but no words on price/availability yet.  

On other note, I do read from erji the IEM board is being manufactured and may be available in China soon.  Overall info are still pretty vague and gathering info in various thread it seem This uses the IEM board would use "half the components" of the balanced board and is a single ended circuit.  Fang was mentioning the circuit board real estate freed up will be used for enhanced circuitry to improve tuning blah blah blah.  My read from all these amp board talk makes me believe from a power output and component quantity/cost perspectives:

U235 card > Balanced card (4x OPA 627, 4x BUF634) > Minibox card 
(3x OPA 627, 3x BUF634) 
>= IEM card (?? 2x of 627/634 ??)> Standard card  (1x AD8397)


Pricing would probably also reflect that.  

kkcc, one last thing, are you just using the TRS 3.5mm into the balanced amp (TRRS) to drive a SE IEM (i.e. not using one of the rings)? That is what I *assume* but I want to confirm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear