Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Most Overrated Drummers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Overrated Drummers? - Page 11

post #151 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I know...that's why I put in the "smile.gif". But as they say, every joke has a half truth. tongue.gif

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

May as well make a statement like Lennon was the worst guitar player in the Beatles!  And compared to McCartney and Harrison, maybe he was. wink_face.gif

As you know, guys like Clapton and Beck and the guys in Yes think The Beatles sound incredible.

 

As you can probably guess, I am a drummer myself, and I have a phenomenal amount of respect for all those great rock drummers who pick exactly the right notes and licks to make the band, the song, the singer, the guitar solos sound fantastic.

post #152 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

May as well make a statement like Lennon was the worst guitar player in the Beatles!  And compared to McCartney and Harrison, maybe he was. wink_face.gif

As you know, guys like Clapton and Beck and the guys in Yes think The Beatles sound incredible.

 

As you can probably guess, I am a drummer myself, and I have a phenomenal amount of respect for all those great rock drummers who pick exactly the right notes and licks to make the band, the song, the singer, the guitar solos sound fantastic.

No worries...many of my good friends are drummers. I'm a trumpet player (well used to be before engineering became my day job and the kids showed up).

 

Funny, my all time favourite guitar solo on a Beatles LP was not performed by a Beatle (Clapton of course).

post #153 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

No worries...many of my good friends are drummers. I'm a trumpet player (well used to be before engineering became my day job and the kids showed up).

 

Funny, my all time favourite guitar solo on a Beatles LP was not performed by a Beatle (Clapton of course).

 

BTW, I stole a quote from Joe Perry;

he's the guy who said "none of use are virtuosos, but we sound fantastic together".

I'm paraphrasing, but I though that was such a great quote, and basically sums up a lot of great Rock bands.

post #154 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

BTW, I stole a quote from Joe Perry;

he's the guy who said "none of use are virtuosos, but we sound fantastic together".

I'm paraphrasing, but I though that was such a great quote, and basically sums up a lot of great Rock bands.

True, but many like Led Zeppelin and Rush are/where all brilliant musicians too.

post #155 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

True, but many like Led Zeppelin and Rush are/where all brilliant musicians too.

 

Yep, that's why I qualified it with "a lot of great rock bands".

Once you get past Entwhistle, I'm not too sure if anyone in The Who was a virtuoso.

Zep? All virtuosos.

Rush; the name sounds familiar, but I can't really place them.

post #156 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

Yep, that's why I qualified it with "a lot of great rock bands".

Once you get past Entwhistle, I'm not too sure if anyone in The Who was a virtuoso.

Zep? All virtuosos.

Rush; the name sounds familiar, but I can't really place them.

Rush? Like one of the top 3 or 4 selling all time rock bands. you're kidding right?

 

I consider Townsend a guitar virtuoso and Moon one of the greatest drummers there ever was.

 

Zep...Page, Plant Bonham...'nuff said.

post #157 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Rush? Like one of the top 3 or 4 selling all time rock bands. you're kidding right?

 

I consider Townsend a guitar virtuoso and Moon one of the greatest drummers there ever was.

 

Zep...Page, Plant Bonham...'nuff said.

 

I'm kidding.redface.gif

I've probably seen Rush 20 times!  Mostly in the 70s and early 80s

First time I saw them was at my high school, before the first album was even released.

Second time I saw them they opened up for Nazareth.  I thought they would be fantastic if they had a better drummer.

Third time I saw them they finally had Neal in the band.......biggrin.gif

Unfortunately they used to have Max Webster open up for them all the time, it got to the point where I hated Webster and still do.

Last time I saw them was on the Snakes tour in Kingston, ON.

 

Greatest drummer of all time.......Tony Williams!

post #158 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

I'm kidding.redface.gif

I've probably seen Rush 20 times!  Mostly in the 70s and early 80s

First time I saw them was at my high school, before the first album was even released.

Second time I saw them they opened up for Nazareth.  I thought they would be fantastic if they had a better drummer.

Third time I saw them they finally had Neal in the band.......biggrin.gif

 

 

Awesome! 

post #159 of 176

You know...I'm going to put another underrated drummer out there. 

 

Danny Carey is an amazing drummer who I've never seen get credit as being 'great' because he's often overshadowed by the awesomeness that is Maynard.

post #160 of 176

He's not overshadowed by anyone.

 

Nor is he under rated.  Well know awesome.

 

 

 


Edited by Eee Pee - 9/27/12 at 9:48pm
post #161 of 176

I think he's in my tops (top 10 easily, maybe 5) ever. Never see him on most lists like that. It's unfortunate.

 

His ability to never drop into the 'same as the last verse' drumming is what amazes me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

He'a not overshadowed by anyone.

 

Nor is he under rated.  Well know awesome.


Edited by MorbidToaster - 9/27/12 at 9:40pm
post #162 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

He's not overshadowed by anyone.

 

Nor is he under rated.  Well know awesome.

 

 

I spy Fostex, haha.

post #163 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

I'm kidding.redface.gif

I've probably seen Rush 20 times!  Mostly in the 70s and early 80s

First time I saw them was at my high school, before the first album was even released.

Second time I saw them they opened up for Nazareth.  I thought they would be fantastic if they had a better drummer.

Third time I saw them they finally had Neal in the band.......biggrin.gif

Unfortunately they used to have Max Webster open up for them all the time, it got to the point where I hated Webster and still do.

Last time I saw them was on the Snakes tour in Kingston, ON.

 

Greatest drummer of all time.......Tony Williams!

 Ha!  We are same age.  I, too, saw them 20+ times during that era.  Some double billings with Kansas for $12 for whole show.  Max Webster 2X in 1975-76.  But from Roll The Bones forward I started losing interest.  Recordings were terrible and the music lacked creativity.  Personal favorites are 2112, Moving Pictures, Hemispheres


Edited by Spyro - 9/28/12 at 6:34pm
post #164 of 176

Giggity

 

post #165 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

 Ha!  We are same age.  I, too, saw them 20+ times during that era.  Some double billings with Kansas for $12 for whole show.  Max Webster 2X in 1975-76.  But from Roll The Bones forward I started losing interest.  Recordings were terrible and the music lacked creativity.  Personal favorites are 2112, Moving Pictures, Hemispheres

I remember I also saw Rush with various Canadian bands: Chilliwack, Wireless, FM who I much preferred to Webster.

 

For me, I thought they started to loose it around the Grace Under Pressure, etc. era. It sounded too 80's.

 

I though Snakes & Arrows was a return to form, i.e. "good old fashioned" progressive rock, er I mean, more progressive rock.  But Snakes is terrible recording, Brick walled compression.

 

Test For Echo didn't really move me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Most Overrated Drummers?