What drummers do you think are overrated? Here's a few of mine:
1. Neil Peart - Seriously, what do people see in this guy? Just because he's in Rush doesn't make him good. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, but I at least have never seen/heard him do anything really impressive. Overall very forgettable.
2. John Bonham - It seems to me like there's a similar "he's good because he's in Led Zeppelin" syndrome going on here, BUT I actually hesitate a little to call him overrated. I think he does actually live up to his name for the most part. Waaaaaaay better than Peart. Still, I don't think he's quite as good as some people make him out to be.
3. ^Those were the ones I feel I see most often, but also pretty much anyone else who's from a famous or well-regarded classic rock or older prog rock band. Yes, some of them are really good for what they are, and some of them make fantastic music, but in several cases the fact that they often make "best drummers in the world" lists is kind of a joke.
4. Dennis Chambers - See this all the time too. Kind of a 50/50 thing for me. Sometimes he actually is really good, and some of the things he can do are absolutely jaw-dropping. In terms of musicality though, he has a tendency to be really boring and dry.
5. Thomas Lang - Same problem as Dennis Chambers, only bad 100% of the time. Very robotic and painfully boring. Yeah, he can go super duper fast and do flashy stick tricks...so what?
6. Terry Bozzio - I have a HUGE gimmicky drumset and all sorts of really cool exotic sounding cymbals. Do you like me now?
Also just noticed that this is my 666th post.
Edited by manveru - 8/12/12 at 3:13am