If it's what thing I'm learning from reading old posts, for sale threads, pricing reports, etc, on this page, it's that many high end headphones are increasing in price as time goes on. What is going on here? Across the board, headphones from Sennheisers to Beyerdynamics are more expensive today than they were 2-3 years ago. DT 990's? More expensive. HD 600's? More Expensive. These are just a couple of many examples I have found. What's the deal with this? I mean, the freaking 990's are almost 10 years old now. How in god's name is the price going up on them? Has there just been a complete and total lack of advancement in headphone technology in the last 5-10 years?
Related Forum Threads
- Recently got a set of these headphones Last post on 12/3/14 at 12:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Are all closed headphones ear warmers? Last post on 1/30/14 at 2:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best sounding cans with amazing bass? Last post on 5/30/13 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Website to buy headphones? Last post on 3/22/13 at 12:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How good are these headphones? Last post on 3/19/13 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
Why are headphones getting more expensive?post #1 of 444/14/12 at 10:43pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 444/14/12 at 11:04pmpost #3 of 444/14/12 at 11:10pmpost #4 of 444/14/12 at 11:12pmThread Starterpost #5 of 444/14/12 at 11:16pmpost #6 of 444/14/12 at 11:16pmpost #7 of 444/14/12 at 11:25pm
Stagnation of the market during the GFC depressing prices, companies riding out products and controlling their supply so as to not oversaturate the market, the very nature of the market itself as high end headphones are niche in nature, inflation, etc, etc, etc.post #8 of 444/14/12 at 11:28pmpost #9 of 444/14/12 at 11:30pm
Sennheiser has gotten "more expensive" because they've gone to an enforced MAP (the prices you see today for HD 600s and HD 650s is what SRP has been for years and years and years). Like Grado. Beyerdynamic prices normally dance all over the place. Like Denon. Based on the market.
As far as the overall trend towards more models at the $400+ mark, that's a bit more recent trend. And you can thank market researchers and more directly, Beats, for that one. Basically market research from a few years ago started showing that headphones as a market/segment were not only profitable, they were showing growth even during the recession. Even the super expensive models ($350+). So of course more people want into that. There's profits. (And I don't count Bose in here, because Bose has had a $150 and $300 offering since the proverbial beginning of time and it didn't seem to do anything either way years ago; usually they were just regarded as a bad value and written off relative to cheaper offerings).
It also gets screwy when you have Beats products (which have dominated market share) and you want to position your product as an "audiophile" offering, and not compete with them. That sees an upward trend too (pricing is part of marketing). Beats is also unique because they've changed headphones from being an A/V accessory into a fashion item - like shoes or jewelry. End result is you get models like the Beyerdynamic T70, a "mid-range" headphone with an SRP of $669. Even five years ago it would've been laughed off the market. But today, they let it get "discounted" to $399 or $499 and it sells. That's what happens when "bad" headphones are $299.
Inflation is only a small piece of the puzzle though - we aren't seeing huge inflation. And the prices of other durable goods haven't skyrocketed as a result. This is simply market exploitation - it's a new segment that happens to be returning huge profits, and consumers don't really seem to have an issue with a $400 headphone even if it performs as well as something that would've cost $30 or $50 or $80 as little as ten years ago. For example, does anyone remember the Sennheiser HD 485?
Of course, this isn't universal. Some manufacturers have absolutely resisted this upward trend. Examples include Koss, Bose, Grado, and Ultrasone. Sony changes models too often to really make a case for, but they haven't danced too far out of the $50-$250 range in a while (they always have "one" over that, but not their entire product line - this week it's the Z1000).
Edited by obobskivich - 4/14/12 at 11:33pmpost #10 of 444/14/12 at 11:39pmpost #11 of 444/14/12 at 11:48pmpost #12 of 444/14/12 at 11:57pmQuote:
Yea, just look at the damn IE800, that thing will probably revitalize the market with new innovations eh?post #13 of 444/15/12 at 1:14ampost #14 of 444/15/12 at 1:16am
I think "audiophile" has been so twisted and bastardized by marketing recently, it's just a meaningless nonsense word now (if everything is epic nothing is epic kind of argument). Since they turned HD into a nonsense term, they picked audiophile next.
- Why are headphones getting more expensive?
- Headphone Impedance
- › Fiio X1 or Fiio X3 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo vs iFi idac2, is the Hugo so much better? $1400 vs 300$? 4 minutes ago
- › Marantz PM-5005 6 minutes ago
- › Perfect-Seal CIEM Demo USA Tour (Now Starting!) 6 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO EX1 world tour--open for application now! 7 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go. 10 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2