New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pm limit for newbee - Page 3  

post #31 of 48

Well at least I'm getting more posts here lol!  I agree with some of what you said boweii006, but you talk about spam etc without addressing what I had said about being a member of many other forums with no pm limitations and NEVER having had a problem with spam, particularly from one member over and over.  I'm interested to hear your experience/opinion on that.  You seemed to focus your reply on not changing the rules to suit a minority few(which seems like a presumption in itself because unless you run the site how would you have an empirical way of knowing how many people like me use the site a lot but don't post much).  I think if you re-read my post you'll note that I wasn't asking for the regulations to be changed but rather better info. about them. If you look back at  people's posts about it, one of the things they seem most upset about is that they had no idea that the pm limits even existed.  Why not have a very clear FAQ about the regs, very simple and effective.  Reading back over your posts boweii006 I see that you mentioned something like 10 posts being sufficient to attain a higher pm limit.  The fact that I had to learn it from you is more my beef.  Why not improve a site when it's an easy thing?  I can see merit on both sides as far as whether there should be pm limitations or not and if so how they should be implemented, and as such agree that changing that may or may not be considered a site 'improvement' depending on your point of view.  Surely though, a membership FAQ that clearly defines all the ins and outs would be a simple and effective improvement wouldn't it?  Hmm, maybe even a post tally along with a tally showing how many pms you have available to you.  What do you think?

post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrahams View Post

Well at least I'm getting more posts here lol!  I agree with some of what you said boweii006, but you talk about spam etc without addressing what I had said about being a member of many other forums with no pm limitations and NEVER having had a problem with spam, particularly from one member over and over.  I'm interested to hear your experience/opinion on that.  You seemed to focus your reply on not changing the rules to suit a minority few(which seems like a presumption in itself because unless you run the site how would you have an empirical way of knowing how many people like me use the site a lot but don't post much).  I think if you re-read my post you'll note that I wasn't asking for the regulations to be changed but rather better info. about them. If you look back at  people's posts about it, one of the things they seem most upset about is that they had no idea that the pm limits even existed.  Why not have a very clear FAQ about the regs, very simple and effective.  Reading back over your posts boweii006 I see that you mentioned something like 10 posts being sufficient to attain a higher pm limit.  The fact that I had to learn it from you is more my beef.  Why not improve a site when it's an easy thing?  I can see merit on both sides as far as whether there should be pm limitations or not and if so how they should be implemented, and as such agree that changing that may or may not be considered a site 'improvement' depending on your point of view.  Surely though, a membership FAQ that clearly defines all the ins and outs would be a simple and effective improvement wouldn't it?  Hmm, maybe even a post tally along with a tally showing how many pms you have available to you.  What do you think?

There aren't or isn't a big spam problem here, in my time here, I have only seen about 3 and they were reported by us users and dealt with in a business day.

 

@Jude And Currawong:

 

 

I give my thanks.

 


But the fact remains that it does happen and this is just a small preventary thing to help stop it from happening. If you live in a flood zone, why not buy flood insurance? Well, we here are on the internet which is all spam terriority and can lead to spam so why deal with it when it happens, by first implementing a stopper? The number of people affected by this are really small. And from the looks of it, its usually people looking to sell and go or buy and go. Not exact Head-Fi's target psycho-graphic. 

 


 

 

Quote:
 You seemed to focus your reply on not changing the rules to suit a minority few(which seems like a presumption in itself because unless you run the site how would you have an empirical way of knowing how many people like me use the site a lot but don't post much).

You're right, I don't. I have little info on this sites data so it was persumptious of me. Anyhow, Currawong already stated that this site is more for discussion and people to post and get ideas out and learn. Anything you need to talk about in pm can usually be posted. Why keep it sealed in a pm? When you can post it and let everyone know what the question was (there are no stupid questions here.....almost none.) so that others can find it and learn. So following that train of thought, most people should already have say 30 posts even if they are a lurker. This is based of my own personal observations where only a select few minority of long time lurkers will not get even that many posts. But then again, there are exceptions of course. A buddy and thread member (of another) here on HF joined in 2002 and has sparsely 200 or so posts. So yeah, there is that.

 

Well, we can talk all day long but the ability to rectify the situation is easily within reach of anyone. 

post #33 of 48

There are a number of reasons why one might want to keep something 'sealed' in a pm, such as a negotiation for a purchase which could include personal information etc.  I could poke holes in your theories about how many posts lurkers may/may not or should/should not have but as you mentioned we could talk all day and that's not really the point of this forum is it?  Hopefully though, our conversation has been noticed by a moderator and they may see fit to at least review their regs.  And hopefully our next discussion is about what counts: headphones!  Thanks for helping me get my post count up though-lol! :) 

post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrahams View Post

There are a number of reasons why one might want to keep something 'sealed' in a pm, such as a negotiation for a purchase which could include personal information etc.  I could poke holes in your theories about how many posts lurkers may/may not or should/should not have but as you mentioned we could talk all day and that's not really the point of this forum is it?  Hopefully though, our conversation has been noticed by a moderator and they may see fit to at least review their regs.  And hopefully our next discussion is about what counts: headphones! Thanks for helping me get my post count up though-lol! smily_headphones1.gif 

And just think..... Those 6 posts could have been about what counts: headphones!
post #35 of 48

If you just take a minute of your time and go visit the fu**ing BUMP thread, you'll quickly realize how to overcome your newb limitation. biggrin.gif

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

If you just take a minute of your time and go visit the fu**ing BUMP thread, you'll quickly realize how to overcome your newb limitation. biggrin.gif

 

Geez, thanks for the constructive advice.  I should have just talked to you in the first place, all would have been good :p

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrahams View Post

 

Geez, thanks for the constructive advice.  I should have just talked to you in the first place, all would have been good :p

Ah man, I just noticed that thread got locked. LOL

 

You should have listened to me! Because now you're out of luck. Seeing as you only have 7 posts. tongue.gif

post #38 of 48

Seeing as how this is in the members section, you could just bump it. HEck , complaining about the pm limit is a bump in itself.

post #39 of 48
I have already had a couple goofy threads shut down (byeee bump thread frown.gif) so im not looking to start any more... But I wonder if anyone has even done a list the top ten most useless threads. I'm pretty sure I woulda had number one for the "bump this thread" thread, But I am sure this would be a close 2nd along with the "you know you are an audiophile" thread.
post #40 of 48
No offense, but I wouldn't sell anything to someone with less than 10 posts.
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

No offense, but I wouldn't sell anything to someone with less than 10 posts.

I go for at least 100 posts. And If I am buying, I look for 500+.

 

Junior Head-Fiers with 0 trader feedback. Puts a big damper on things.

post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

No offense, but I wouldn't sell anything to someone with less than 10 posts.

None taken :).  I've got over 300 transactions on ebay(a relatively small portion are audio relayed though).  As a seller I wouldn't be/haven't been particularly concerned personally with number of feedback or in this case posts because it's usually the buyer that takes all the risk.   As a buyer though I agree, I'm much more wary.  On other sites that I belong too(I'm an avid cycllist and buy/sell gear etc using a classified section of a site I belong to) or local calssified ad sites such as kijiji,  I wouldn't dream of buying from someone with little or no history without coming up with some sort of way of feeling protected.  C.O.D is an option that I've used but there is the risk that if for some reason the buyer doesn't honour it, you're out the shipping costs.  Plus, I guess theoretically the item in the box could be either not as described or maybe not even in it :p.  I usually ask someone to create a 'buy it now' ebay auction and then I just buy it on there feeling protected by ebay/paypal.  As an aside, I think I may be ready to actually post something directly audio related as I successfully came up with a way of fitting some monster ear tips to some future sonics atrio 5 mg7's that I purchased on canuck audio mart and am quite pleased with the outcome :)

post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrahams View Post

None taken :).  I've got over 300 transactions on ebay(a relatively small portion are audio relayed though).  As a seller I wouldn't be/haven't been particularly concerned personally with number of feedback or in this case posts because it's usually the buyer that takes all the risk.   As a buyer though I agree, I'm much more wary.  On other sites that I belong too(I'm an avid cycllist and buy/sell gear etc using a classified section of a site I belong to) or local calssified ad sites such as kijiji,  I wouldn't dream of buying from someone with little or no history without coming up with some sort of way of feeling protected.  C.O.D is an option that I've used but there is the risk that if for some reason the buyer doesn't honour it, you're out the shipping costs.  Plus, I guess theoretically the item in the box could be either not as described or maybe not even in it :p.  I usually ask someone to create a 'buy it now' ebay auction and then I just buy it on there feeling protected by ebay/paypal.  As an aside, I think I may be ready to actually post something directly audio related as I successfully came up with a way of fitting some monster ear tips to some future sonics atrio 5 mg7's that I purchased on canuck audio mart and am quite pleased with the outcome :)

Going through ebay could work but that would require the seller to boost up his item cost or have the buyer bid at the right price. Because ebay takes a cut.

post #44 of 48

Yeah, it's not a perfect solution but it works well in situations where both parties want to feel secure and one or both are willing to absorb some ebay fees to do so.  You actually do it as a 'buy it now' so there is no bidding, the buyer just clicks on buy it now at the agreed upon price.  The only thing that you have to do is coordinate it so that the buyer knows exactly when the seller lists it so that he can be the one to actually buy it and not another random e-bayer :P.  I've done this over the phone where the seller calls me right as he's listed it.  I actually did this once as a seller too on a fairly big ticket item(some motorcycle hard bags) and we agreed on a price including shipping etc, then I called him as I listed it, he clicked on 'buy it now' and voila.  Worked well and we both felt protected :D

post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

It may be annoying and inconvenient, but it works, and best to make a few inconvenient than exploit many members and sponsors.

 

I know that you and I have discussed this 'ad nauseum' already but I felt compelled to respond.  I think that for the most part people here who can potentially become long-term members in good standing are complaining about the limit and the lack of info. about it, but more importantly discussing ways to improve the system WHILE maintaining the security etc of long-standing members like yourself.  So just basically saying that it works for you and other long term or members with sufficient posts doesn't really add anything to the discussion.  On the contrary I believe that it almost comes across as arrogant and non-inclusive.  Isn't the point of a forum for a bunch of people with similar interests to gather in a spirit of comraderie?  Just saying :P......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked