A chip amp being perfect for the HD800 will be quite a revelation. Next thing you know I'll find out the earth has two moons, aliens built the pyramids and I'm actually a clone of myself.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:10 pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Recommendations? Last post on 2/9/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Susceptible to Mobile Phone Interference ? Last post on 10/22/14 at 6:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 800 : Sennheiser HDVD800 or Woo Audio WA7 ? Last post on 10/24/14 at 6:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do you know what happened to the HDVA 600? Last post on 10/20/14 at 5:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
As part of the OPPO PM3 loaner program I had a chance to evaluate the PM3's for a few days. Overall, I was very impressed with the packaging, build quality and finish. The brushed aluminum is...
COMPANY: Sennheiser MODEL: HD598 COST: $299 CAD - $250 USD – Note: often on sale for much less TYPE: Open, Dynamic, Over-Ear DRIVER SIZE: 40mm neodynium FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 12 Hz – 38.5...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Sennheiser press release stated:
"... the amplifier is equipped with a high-quality Burr-Brown digital/analogue converter that converts digital audio data into analogue signals with a resolution of 24 bits and a sampling rate of up to 192 kHz."
So that will narrow the list of suspects down somewhat.
Well, you're getting a two in one in this regard. DAC and amp.
This is an interesting product from Sennheiser for me, because I'm not all that interested in it, and I like Sennheiser products. But I also like tubes, so maybe that plays a part. I'm more interested in the chance Senn will put out cheap XLR cables for their 600 to 800 line up (which come to think of it will need three different end connectors, so dumb of them). But this thing had better be something very special for them to sell well, at least to those in the know. Which I'm going to guess is only a small percentage of Sennheiser's purchasers, so, more power to em.
Lol, I was wondering the same thing.
I guess it's safe to say the signature won't be anything alike.
I am not sure of this , at the BURR BROWN site there are right now impressive dacs with impressive specs working even with 32 bits .
I have the feeling that they started to use a fresh quality component inside , instead of using an already obsolete and antique dac for their ultramodern amplifier .
The 800 already has a balanced cable - it's only the jack plug that unbalances it.
That's pretty much the most important part. Most people aren't going to solder on 4 pin XLRs themselves...
CanJam@RMAF 2012 is right after the supposed launch and I'd bet that Sennheiser will be at the show to display the new amp, along with most likely the HD700, and maybe other new stuff. More info on RMAF including date & location: http://audiofest.net/2012/index.php
CanJam@RMAF is a major event/show for the Head-Fi audience. Anyone even a little bit interested in headphones should make it out to that event. Start saving up now if you need to.
Ooh, I might actually be able to come to this one.
I have to go over and visit Grace Design in Boulder this year, so I might just do it at the same time - we'll see......
Sennheiser a "one product category"? You must be joking!
● Aviation Headsets (with and without Active Noise Reduction)
● Radiomicrophones (from inexpensive, up to West End / Broadway systems that sell for about £8,000 / $13,000 per channel)
● Infra-Red transmission systems (both domestic and commercial)
● Conference systems (both wired and wireless)
● Microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann - some of the best on the planet - from inexpensive stage mics up to £10,000 digital mics)
● AES42 digital microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann)
● Optical Microphone
● Studio Monitors (Neumann/Klein+Hummel) - these are active designs with built-in top end amplifiers
● Ultrasonic loudspeaker (for visitor attractions that focusses the sound to a small point)
● Tour Guide Systems
● GuidePORT cordless installed tour guide system for visitor attractions
● Older neumann badged products include Cutting Lathes (for LPs) and Mixing Consoles
● Plus other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.
So they certainly have the expertise in very top end amplifier design.
"One product, my ........."
But not a new field of expertise for Sennheiser/Neumann who already have a patented 28-bit ADC design and make some of the best digital microphones around. As well as making digital radio systems, digital conference systems, digital tour guide systems, etc.
Headphones are just a tiny bit of Sennheiser's expertise.
It seems there is a large lack of knowledge if you think of Sennheiser as just a headphone company.
I think this is primarily for those people that want to leave no doubt that their amp pairs perfectly with their headphones. Despite it being a little difficult to find a good match for the 800, I think there are a lot of amps that go well with Senns. Also, for some reason I've never felt comfortable paying more for an amp than the cost of my primary phones.
Plus - the quality of the DAC comes, in a large part, from the analogue part immediately after the chip.
You can get vastly different DAC quality from different manufacturers using exactly the same chip.
Pretty much. With modern chips implementation is everything. It's not just the output stage either.
With the same DAC chip just routing the PCB traces improperly is the difference between between a jittery mess with an audible noise floor and perfection beyond what human ears can discern. A top of the line Sabre could be rendered inferior to an old TI all-in-one 27xx by a few mistakes. I'd assume that Senn would go through a few PCB revisions and get those kinds of things ironed out instead of just slapping together a design, giving it a quick listen, and then sending it off to mass production.
Also, John. Use the Multi quote button.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › New - Cowon Plenue S 21 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 41 seconds ago
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 1 minute ago
- › Nura: Headphones that learn and adapt to your unique hearing 2 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-SR5BT: Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ATH WS99BT Discussion & Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions 5 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...