A chip amp being perfect for the HD800 will be quite a revelation. Next thing you know I'll find out the earth has two moons, aliens built the pyramids and I'm actually a clone of myself.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 5:07 am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Recommendations? Last post on 2/9/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Susceptible to Mobile Phone Interference ? Last post on 10/22/14 at 6:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 800 : Sennheiser HDVD800 or Woo Audio WA7 ? Last post on 10/24/14 at 6:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do you know what happened to the HDVA 600? Last post on 10/20/14 at 5:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
Not an audiophile, but here are my most notable impressions of these in ears: They're V-Shaped Natural, warm, accurate, true to life are not the words I'd use to describe these headphones....
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Sennheiser press release stated:
"... the amplifier is equipped with a high-quality Burr-Brown digital/analogue converter that converts digital audio data into analogue signals with a resolution of 24 bits and a sampling rate of up to 192 kHz."
So that will narrow the list of suspects down somewhat.
Well, you're getting a two in one in this regard. DAC and amp.
This is an interesting product from Sennheiser for me, because I'm not all that interested in it, and I like Sennheiser products. But I also like tubes, so maybe that plays a part. I'm more interested in the chance Senn will put out cheap XLR cables for their 600 to 800 line up (which come to think of it will need three different end connectors, so dumb of them). But this thing had better be something very special for them to sell well, at least to those in the know. Which I'm going to guess is only a small percentage of Sennheiser's purchasers, so, more power to em.
Lol, I was wondering the same thing.
I guess it's safe to say the signature won't be anything alike.
I am not sure of this , at the BURR BROWN site there are right now impressive dacs with impressive specs working even with 32 bits .
I have the feeling that they started to use a fresh quality component inside , instead of using an already obsolete and antique dac for their ultramodern amplifier .
The 800 already has a balanced cable - it's only the jack plug that unbalances it.
That's pretty much the most important part. Most people aren't going to solder on 4 pin XLRs themselves...
CanJam@RMAF 2012 is right after the supposed launch and I'd bet that Sennheiser will be at the show to display the new amp, along with most likely the HD700, and maybe other new stuff. More info on RMAF including date & location: http://audiofest.net/2012/index.php
CanJam@RMAF is a major event/show for the Head-Fi audience. Anyone even a little bit interested in headphones should make it out to that event. Start saving up now if you need to.
Ooh, I might actually be able to come to this one.
I have to go over and visit Grace Design in Boulder this year, so I might just do it at the same time - we'll see......
Sennheiser a "one product category"? You must be joking!
● Aviation Headsets (with and without Active Noise Reduction)
● Radiomicrophones (from inexpensive, up to West End / Broadway systems that sell for about £8,000 / $13,000 per channel)
● Infra-Red transmission systems (both domestic and commercial)
● Conference systems (both wired and wireless)
● Microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann - some of the best on the planet - from inexpensive stage mics up to £10,000 digital mics)
● AES42 digital microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann)
● Optical Microphone
● Studio Monitors (Neumann/Klein+Hummel) - these are active designs with built-in top end amplifiers
● Ultrasonic loudspeaker (for visitor attractions that focusses the sound to a small point)
● Tour Guide Systems
● GuidePORT cordless installed tour guide system for visitor attractions
● Older neumann badged products include Cutting Lathes (for LPs) and Mixing Consoles
● Plus other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.
So they certainly have the expertise in very top end amplifier design.
"One product, my ........."
But not a new field of expertise for Sennheiser/Neumann who already have a patented 28-bit ADC design and make some of the best digital microphones around. As well as making digital radio systems, digital conference systems, digital tour guide systems, etc.
Headphones are just a tiny bit of Sennheiser's expertise.
It seems there is a large lack of knowledge if you think of Sennheiser as just a headphone company.
I think this is primarily for those people that want to leave no doubt that their amp pairs perfectly with their headphones. Despite it being a little difficult to find a good match for the 800, I think there are a lot of amps that go well with Senns. Also, for some reason I've never felt comfortable paying more for an amp than the cost of my primary phones.
Plus - the quality of the DAC comes, in a large part, from the analogue part immediately after the chip.
You can get vastly different DAC quality from different manufacturers using exactly the same chip.
Pretty much. With modern chips implementation is everything. It's not just the output stage either.
With the same DAC chip just routing the PCB traces improperly is the difference between between a jittery mess with an audible noise floor and perfection beyond what human ears can discern. A top of the line Sabre could be rendered inferior to an old TI all-in-one 27xx by a few mistakes. I'd assume that Senn would go through a few PCB revisions and get those kinds of things ironed out instead of just slapping together a design, giving it a quick listen, and then sending it off to mass production.
Also, John. Use the Multi quote button.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › FS JVC HA-SZ1000, ATH-A900Z 54 seconds ago
- › Intona High Speed USB Isolator 1 minute ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Apple Music... Seriously? 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 4 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by micropixel
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Gemtune Urbanfun Hifi Dual-driver In-ear Headphones,Hybrid Balanced... by loomisjohnson
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...