A chip amp being perfect for the HD800 will be quite a revelation. Next thing you know I'll find out the earth has two moons, aliens built the pyramids and I'm actually a clone of myself.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Naim DAC-V1 & Sennheiser HDVD800 Last post on 2/24/14 at 5:21pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Would the HD700s be a good addition to existing HDVD800, HD800 and HD650 setup? Last post on 1/10/14 at 12:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- s Last post on 11/18/13 at 12:06am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Toys for Boys Last post on 2/28/14 at 6:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HD800 + Headamp GS-X MK2 + ? DAC / HD800 + HDVD800 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:28am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Sennheiser press release stated:
"... the amplifier is equipped with a high-quality Burr-Brown digital/analogue converter that converts digital audio data into analogue signals with a resolution of 24 bits and a sampling rate of up to 192 kHz."
So that will narrow the list of suspects down somewhat.
Well, you're getting a two in one in this regard. DAC and amp.
This is an interesting product from Sennheiser for me, because I'm not all that interested in it, and I like Sennheiser products. But I also like tubes, so maybe that plays a part. I'm more interested in the chance Senn will put out cheap XLR cables for their 600 to 800 line up (which come to think of it will need three different end connectors, so dumb of them). But this thing had better be something very special for them to sell well, at least to those in the know. Which I'm going to guess is only a small percentage of Sennheiser's purchasers, so, more power to em.
Lol, I was wondering the same thing.
I guess it's safe to say the signature won't be anything alike.
I am not sure of this , at the BURR BROWN site there are right now impressive dacs with impressive specs working even with 32 bits .
I have the feeling that they started to use a fresh quality component inside , instead of using an already obsolete and antique dac for their ultramodern amplifier .
The 800 already has a balanced cable - it's only the jack plug that unbalances it.
That's pretty much the most important part. Most people aren't going to solder on 4 pin XLRs themselves...
CanJam@RMAF 2012 is right after the supposed launch and I'd bet that Sennheiser will be at the show to display the new amp, along with most likely the HD700, and maybe other new stuff. More info on RMAF including date & location: http://audiofest.net/2012/index.php
CanJam@RMAF is a major event/show for the Head-Fi audience. Anyone even a little bit interested in headphones should make it out to that event. Start saving up now if you need to.
Ooh, I might actually be able to come to this one.
I have to go over and visit Grace Design in Boulder this year, so I might just do it at the same time - we'll see......
Sennheiser a "one product category"? You must be joking!
● Aviation Headsets (with and without Active Noise Reduction)
● Radiomicrophones (from inexpensive, up to West End / Broadway systems that sell for about £8,000 / $13,000 per channel)
● Infra-Red transmission systems (both domestic and commercial)
● Conference systems (both wired and wireless)
● Microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann - some of the best on the planet - from inexpensive stage mics up to £10,000 digital mics)
● AES42 digital microphones (Sennheiser and Neumann)
● Optical Microphone
● Studio Monitors (Neumann/Klein+Hummel) - these are active designs with built-in top end amplifiers
● Ultrasonic loudspeaker (for visitor attractions that focusses the sound to a small point)
● Tour Guide Systems
● GuidePORT cordless installed tour guide system for visitor attractions
● Older neumann badged products include Cutting Lathes (for LPs) and Mixing Consoles
● Plus other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.
So they certainly have the expertise in very top end amplifier design.
"One product, my ........."
But not a new field of expertise for Sennheiser/Neumann who already have a patented 28-bit ADC design and make some of the best digital microphones around. As well as making digital radio systems, digital conference systems, digital tour guide systems, etc.
Headphones are just a tiny bit of Sennheiser's expertise.
It seems there is a large lack of knowledge if you think of Sennheiser as just a headphone company.
I think this is primarily for those people that want to leave no doubt that their amp pairs perfectly with their headphones. Despite it being a little difficult to find a good match for the 800, I think there are a lot of amps that go well with Senns. Also, for some reason I've never felt comfortable paying more for an amp than the cost of my primary phones.
Plus - the quality of the DAC comes, in a large part, from the analogue part immediately after the chip.
You can get vastly different DAC quality from different manufacturers using exactly the same chip.
Pretty much. With modern chips implementation is everything. It's not just the output stage either.
With the same DAC chip just routing the PCB traces improperly is the difference between between a jittery mess with an audible noise floor and perfection beyond what human ears can discern. A top of the line Sabre could be rendered inferior to an old TI all-in-one 27xx by a few mistakes. I'd assume that Senn would go through a few PCB revisions and get those kinds of things ironed out instead of just slapping together a design, giving it a quick listen, and then sending it off to mass production.
Also, John. Use the Multi quote button.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › The Basshead Club 11 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › High Bit-Rate Streaming Service? 4 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › One of the Most Iconic Artists of All Time in Pristine... 5 minutes ago
- › Is burn in real or placebo? 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 8 minutes ago
- › FS: Audio Technica AD2000 (non x version) 9 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude