I experienced no distortion with the HDVA600/HD800 combination but the way modern music production goes, you can find distortion even on recordings that are mastered well. Grain was noticeable I think for there was an obvious lack of fluidity I was expecting to hear. It also caused smearing of finer instrumental detail because human vocals are not that delicate and are usually more processed. Not to say it will bother everyone but I did find the amplifier a bit lacking in that respect. If it sounds good to you though, then there is no problem:)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Do you know what happened to the HDVA 600? Last post on 10/20/14 at 5:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Divine Moments in Music Last post on Yesterday at 9:59 am in Music
- Burson Conductor vs Sennheiser HDVD800: Amp/DAC for HD800 Last post on 5/30/14 at 5:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP! Suggestions for Sennheiser HD800 - HDVD800 or WA22? Last post on 4/15/14 at 8:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Beyerdynamic amp A2 Last post on 9/30/14 at 12:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Thanks for the photo and info.
This is very unique as I don't know of any headphone amp that uses 300B's and can drive headphones in OTL mode.
Do you know how they matched the impedance with 300B's directly coupled to headphones?
The only OTL headphone amps I know of use the 6AS7G/5998 family of tubes.
Well, 300B tubes are very fine indeed. These tubes were intended for audio use so their inherent levels of hum are low but I haven't found them necessarily the best tubes for headphone amplifiers. With proper bias values, the 6H30 are unmatched in my experience. My reference amplifier uses one per channel and a single ECC88 but that's a discussion for some other thread. Until they see it, most people aren't even aware that it's a tube amplifier because it exhibits no flaws that go hand in hand with tube designs. It's built on what is known as the Megahertz criteria and is linear up to almost 1.2MHz. While there are no obvious advantages to this approach, the high frequency and ultra high frequency range is perfect on the oscilloscope. Still, it took several years to design such a thing and it was expensive from the start.
WOW. I am so upset i cannot demo this amp here in the USA now.
your explanation and detail is fantastic, if this combo is even near what you say its worth the money for sure. And you knowing the source you are listening to makes all the difference.
great detail and i am sure there is at least one person who is envious of you right now ...
I not sure if I should go for the HDVD800 or go for the Violectric V200 and DAC V800.
They're just about as expensive, I like the looks of both of them. The Violectric DAC seems to have more options when it comes to re-sampling and what not.
Sound quality of course matters most, I own the HD800 and prefer neutral, realistic sound above everything else. I will probably be able to demo the HDVD800, but I don't think I'll be able to demo the Violectric gear. I'm currently using a FiiO E10 Olympus which sounds way better than on-board sound. But even the €300 CD Player in the store just had that sense of depth and realisticness that the E10 doesn't have. I won't demo any of them until I have the money, I don't want to be suffering by going back to the E10 when I demoed the real stuff. Have any of you guys tried both?
I would really appreciate a comparison between the HDVD800 and the Violectric gear.
Does anyone know why these amps HDVD600 and 800 are still so hard to find?
Is it the usual MAC marketing trick?
Or a more serious problem?
Really this delay disturb me and I think I am going to consider the new Bryston BHA-1.
By the way, could someone compare the old Orpheus from Bryston to the Senn HD800?
Could be of some interest.
Have a nice day.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 23 seconds ago
- › The Stax SR-507 Appreciation Thread 33 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Mint Ultrasone Edition 5 for sale 2 minutes ago
- › Fischer DBA-02 MKII - Impressions and review thread: CK10 threatened! 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)