I experienced no distortion with the HDVA600/HD800 combination but the way modern music production goes, you can find distortion even on recordings that are mastered well. Grain was noticeable I think for there was an obvious lack of fluidity I was expecting to hear. It also caused smearing of finer instrumental detail because human vocals are not that delicate and are usually more processed. Not to say it will bother everyone but I did find the amplifier a bit lacking in that respect. If it sounds good to you though, then there is no problem:)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Jitter we all have it. How does it sound when we make it better ? Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:54pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Naim DAC-V1 & Sennheiser HDVD800 Last post on 2/24/14 at 5:21pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Would the HD700s be a good addition to existing HDVD800, HD800 and HD650 setup? Last post on 1/10/14 at 12:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- s Last post on 11/18/13 at 12:06am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Toys for Boys Last post on 2/28/14 at 6:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip). Build/Design: I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much...
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
First off my gear is HeadRoom Micro DAC and Amp.(I don't see how people get by without the crossfeed circuit on older rock recordings) Out of the rather cheap box the high-end was brittle and harsh...
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Thanks for the photo and info.
This is very unique as I don't know of any headphone amp that uses 300B's and can drive headphones in OTL mode.
Do you know how they matched the impedance with 300B's directly coupled to headphones?
The only OTL headphone amps I know of use the 6AS7G/5998 family of tubes.
Well, 300B tubes are very fine indeed. These tubes were intended for audio use so their inherent levels of hum are low but I haven't found them necessarily the best tubes for headphone amplifiers. With proper bias values, the 6H30 are unmatched in my experience. My reference amplifier uses one per channel and a single ECC88 but that's a discussion for some other thread. Until they see it, most people aren't even aware that it's a tube amplifier because it exhibits no flaws that go hand in hand with tube designs. It's built on what is known as the Megahertz criteria and is linear up to almost 1.2MHz. While there are no obvious advantages to this approach, the high frequency and ultra high frequency range is perfect on the oscilloscope. Still, it took several years to design such a thing and it was expensive from the start.
WOW. I am so upset i cannot demo this amp here in the USA now.
your explanation and detail is fantastic, if this combo is even near what you say its worth the money for sure. And you knowing the source you are listening to makes all the difference.
great detail and i am sure there is at least one person who is envious of you right now ...
I not sure if I should go for the HDVD800 or go for the Violectric V200 and DAC V800.
They're just about as expensive, I like the looks of both of them. The Violectric DAC seems to have more options when it comes to re-sampling and what not.
Sound quality of course matters most, I own the HD800 and prefer neutral, realistic sound above everything else. I will probably be able to demo the HDVD800, but I don't think I'll be able to demo the Violectric gear. I'm currently using a FiiO E10 Olympus which sounds way better than on-board sound. But even the €300 CD Player in the store just had that sense of depth and realisticness that the E10 doesn't have. I won't demo any of them until I have the money, I don't want to be suffering by going back to the E10 when I demoed the real stuff. Have any of you guys tried both?
I would really appreciate a comparison between the HDVD800 and the Violectric gear.
Does anyone know why these amps HDVD600 and 800 are still so hard to find?
Is it the usual MAC marketing trick?
Or a more serious problem?
Really this delay disturb me and I think I am going to consider the new Bryston BHA-1.
By the way, could someone compare the old Orpheus from Bryston to the Senn HD800?
Could be of some interest.
Have a nice day.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › The Woo Audio 2 10 seconds ago
- › PX100-II Review | Appreciation Thread 37 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 50 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 57 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Jam Band Newbie needs neutral advice 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 2 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 3 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by BenF
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude