I experienced no distortion with the HDVA600/HD800 combination but the way modern music production goes, you can find distortion even on recordings that are mastered well. Grain was noticeable I think for there was an obvious lack of fluidity I was expecting to hear. It also caused smearing of finer instrumental detail because human vocals are not that delicate and are usually more processed. Not to say it will bother everyone but I did find the amplifier a bit lacking in that respect. If it sounds good to you though, then there is no problem:)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 9:34 am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Recommendations? Last post on 2/9/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Susceptible to Mobile Phone Interference ? Last post on 10/22/14 at 6:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 800 : Sennheiser HDVD800 or Woo Audio WA7 ? Last post on 10/24/14 at 6:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do you know what happened to the HDVA 600? Last post on 10/20/14 at 5:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Thanks for the photo and info.
This is very unique as I don't know of any headphone amp that uses 300B's and can drive headphones in OTL mode.
Do you know how they matched the impedance with 300B's directly coupled to headphones?
The only OTL headphone amps I know of use the 6AS7G/5998 family of tubes.
Well, 300B tubes are very fine indeed. These tubes were intended for audio use so their inherent levels of hum are low but I haven't found them necessarily the best tubes for headphone amplifiers. With proper bias values, the 6H30 are unmatched in my experience. My reference amplifier uses one per channel and a single ECC88 but that's a discussion for some other thread. Until they see it, most people aren't even aware that it's a tube amplifier because it exhibits no flaws that go hand in hand with tube designs. It's built on what is known as the Megahertz criteria and is linear up to almost 1.2MHz. While there are no obvious advantages to this approach, the high frequency and ultra high frequency range is perfect on the oscilloscope. Still, it took several years to design such a thing and it was expensive from the start.
WOW. I am so upset i cannot demo this amp here in the USA now.
your explanation and detail is fantastic, if this combo is even near what you say its worth the money for sure. And you knowing the source you are listening to makes all the difference.
great detail and i am sure there is at least one person who is envious of you right now ...
I not sure if I should go for the HDVD800 or go for the Violectric V200 and DAC V800.
They're just about as expensive, I like the looks of both of them. The Violectric DAC seems to have more options when it comes to re-sampling and what not.
Sound quality of course matters most, I own the HD800 and prefer neutral, realistic sound above everything else. I will probably be able to demo the HDVD800, but I don't think I'll be able to demo the Violectric gear. I'm currently using a FiiO E10 Olympus which sounds way better than on-board sound. But even the €300 CD Player in the store just had that sense of depth and realisticness that the E10 doesn't have. I won't demo any of them until I have the money, I don't want to be suffering by going back to the E10 when I demoed the real stuff. Have any of you guys tried both?
I would really appreciate a comparison between the HDVD800 and the Violectric gear.
Does anyone know why these amps HDVD600 and 800 are still so hard to find?
Is it the usual MAC marketing trick?
Or a more serious problem?
Really this delay disturb me and I think I am going to consider the new Bryston BHA-1.
By the way, could someone compare the old Orpheus from Bryston to the Senn HD800?
Could be of some interest.
Have a nice day.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › Chicago area Headphone Meet - January 28th 2017 "ChiUniFi" 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 1 minute ago
- › FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240... 1 minute ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 2 minutes ago
- › Do you guys think I need a DAC with my Valhalla 2? 2 minutes ago
- › Help! Advice needed 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear