I experienced no distortion with the HDVA600/HD800 combination but the way modern music production goes, you can find distortion even on recordings that are mastered well. Grain was noticeable I think for there was an obvious lack of fluidity I was expecting to hear. It also caused smearing of finer instrumental detail because human vocals are not that delicate and are usually more processed. Not to say it will bother everyone but I did find the amplifier a bit lacking in that respect. If it sounds good to you though, then there is no problem:)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HDVD800tagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations? Last post on 2/9/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Susceptible to Mobile Phone Interference ? Last post on 10/22/14 at 6:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 800 : Sennheiser HDVD800 or Woo Audio WA7 ? Last post on 10/24/14 at 6:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do you know what happened to the HDVA 600? Last post on 10/20/14 at 5:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Divine Moments in Music Last post on 3/11/15 at 3:37pm in Music
Thanks to FiiO for the loaner unit. If there is a brand other than Apple that is more well-known at Head-Fi than FiiO I’d be very surprised. A number of their products have become pretty...
T-Peos were kind enough to organize a T-Peos Altone 350 (I'll refer to it as A350) unit for a private head-fi Australian review tour . Previously, we arranged tour units via T-Peos (e.g. with...
This review is a summary section of In-Depth Review I posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions Please visit the link above for more...
Topping NX1 Australian Tour - DJScopeFirstly I'd like to thank @DMax99 for sending this awesome little portable headphone amplifier on a tour of Australia, and @H20Fidelity for helping out organise...
Specification Price: £385 Medical grade Silicone Full shell (can request different) Dual driver balanced armature 1.4m non removable cable. Kevlar reinforced clear cable. Ear impressions and...
Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Thanks for the photo and info.
This is very unique as I don't know of any headphone amp that uses 300B's and can drive headphones in OTL mode.
Do you know how they matched the impedance with 300B's directly coupled to headphones?
The only OTL headphone amps I know of use the 6AS7G/5998 family of tubes.
Well, 300B tubes are very fine indeed. These tubes were intended for audio use so their inherent levels of hum are low but I haven't found them necessarily the best tubes for headphone amplifiers. With proper bias values, the 6H30 are unmatched in my experience. My reference amplifier uses one per channel and a single ECC88 but that's a discussion for some other thread. Until they see it, most people aren't even aware that it's a tube amplifier because it exhibits no flaws that go hand in hand with tube designs. It's built on what is known as the Megahertz criteria and is linear up to almost 1.2MHz. While there are no obvious advantages to this approach, the high frequency and ultra high frequency range is perfect on the oscilloscope. Still, it took several years to design such a thing and it was expensive from the start.
WOW. I am so upset i cannot demo this amp here in the USA now.
your explanation and detail is fantastic, if this combo is even near what you say its worth the money for sure. And you knowing the source you are listening to makes all the difference.
great detail and i am sure there is at least one person who is envious of you right now ...
I not sure if I should go for the HDVD800 or go for the Violectric V200 and DAC V800.
They're just about as expensive, I like the looks of both of them. The Violectric DAC seems to have more options when it comes to re-sampling and what not.
Sound quality of course matters most, I own the HD800 and prefer neutral, realistic sound above everything else. I will probably be able to demo the HDVD800, but I don't think I'll be able to demo the Violectric gear. I'm currently using a FiiO E10 Olympus which sounds way better than on-board sound. But even the €300 CD Player in the store just had that sense of depth and realisticness that the E10 doesn't have. I won't demo any of them until I have the money, I don't want to be suffering by going back to the E10 when I demoed the real stuff. Have any of you guys tried both?
I would really appreciate a comparison between the HDVD800 and the Violectric gear.
Does anyone know why these amps HDVD600 and 800 are still so hard to find?
Is it the usual MAC marketing trick?
Or a more serious problem?
Really this delay disturb me and I think I am going to consider the new Bryston BHA-1.
By the way, could someone compare the old Orpheus from Bryston to the Senn HD800?
Could be of some interest.
Have a nice day.
- Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 35 seconds ago
- › Philips a5 pro by armin van Buuren. BNIB 3 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 3 minutes ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 4 minutes ago
- › Ibasso DX90/ Fiio X1/ or Sony NWZ A17 5 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 7 minutes ago
- › La Figaro 339 8 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid Impressions and Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Currawong
- › T-Peos Altone 350 Hybrid 3 driver IEM by svyr
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by earfonia
- › Topping NX1 Earphone Headphone Portable Stereo MP3 Amplifier by DJScope
- › Minerva Mi-Performer Pro Silicone Custom IEM by CantScareMe
- › Sony MH1 Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphones by sbcontt
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by originalsnuffy
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by matinsoroudi
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Mellowship
- › Bauhn Noise Canceling Headphones by rensin
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2