or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 191

post #2851 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldcohso View Post

Is this a good buy for 1,900?

Hey. I paid about 2500$ for my HDVD800 - HD800 - CH800S back in the day. Bought it used from a Head Fi'er with 3 months use. No headphone stand included though. :)

 

It's a good price. If you don't like the HD800's brightness, there are some nice mods that i would do if i still had them. I prefer HD800S by a lot.

 

I hope that helps.

post #2852 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenR View Post

Hey. I paid about 2500$ for my HDVD800 - HD800 - CH800S back in the day. Bought it used from a Head Fi'er with 3 months use. No headphone stand included though. smily_headphones1.gif

It's a good price. If you don't like the HD800's brightness, there are some nice mods that i would do if i still had them. I prefer HD800S by a lot.

I hope that helps.
helps a lot, thank you. I plan to sell the HD800 separately, I purchased the HD800S for $1,000 new after an order mix up from an authorized dealer.
post #2853 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldcohso View Post


helps a lot, thank you. I plan to sell the HD800 separately, I purchased the HD800S for $1,000 new after an order mix up from an authorized dealer.

Wow, lucky you. I paid 1500€ for mine. The HDVD800 is a great pairing for the HD800/S, but you might want to upgrade the dac down the line. Still a good choice for the price and the amp part doesn't get much better.

post #2854 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by fapman View Post
Personally not raising my hopes that we will see the amp in 2016.

Sennheiser said the successor to the HDVD800 would be released in October 2016 and clearly that date slipped. Its interesting to see Sennheiser is tightening their relationship with TIDAL which will soon release MQA https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA/posts/10154643019119817. I'm astounded Sennhesier has not released this amplifier and it seems unlikely we will see it in 2016. 

post #2855 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDesign View Post
 

Sennheiser said the successor to the HDVD800 would be released in October 2016 and clearly that date slipped. Its interesting to see Sennheiser is tightening their relationship with TIDAL which will soon release MQA https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA/posts/10154643019119817. I'm astounded Sennhesier has not released this amplifier and it seems unlikely we will see it in 2016. 

You have been right before and this seems likely.  Personally, i would not care if they added support for MQA IF it doesn't hurt DAC-performance or compromise anything in the amplifier.

 

But if the MQA support compromises anything in the amplifier, then they are making the mistake adding that support to the amp.  

The competition is getting bigger and now we can get around 500-1000$ great amplifiers. (Schiit jotunheim for an example). There is no excuses, it has to be perfect when they finally reveal it. With or without MQA, perfect. 

 

We have to wait and see. We are lucky if we get it in early 2017... 1½ years after first appearance...


Edited by fapman - 11/1/16 at 2:19pm
post #2856 of 2865

Hey all,

 

Just picked up (2nd hand) the gear I had been lusting after and been out of reach for soooooooo long (waiting for the right deal to pop up on eBay at the right time)

 

HD800, HDVD800, CH800S - as good as new

 

Am totally over the moon.

 

I do have a quick query for the experts (am pretty raw/fresh on the experience, listening and knowledge)

 

The HDVD800 gets a lot of praise as a great AMP with a so/so DAC

 

I also have in my kit an AUNE S16 which (from the few reviews I've found) praise it as a great DAC (AK4495 chip) with a so/so AMP

 

My question is - would the AUNE DAC and the HDVD800 AMP be likely to work well (as good or better than the HDVD amp) or would I be best using the inbuilt HDVD amp?

 

I've got the AUNE hooked up the the HDVD800 via XLR's and to the PC via USB, running the balanced cables to the HD800.

 

Am basically asking - is the AUNE DAC likely to be an honestly decent DAC or just a "good for the price" DAC?

 

Yeah - I know - "Listen and decide for yourself" should be the thing I do, but am wondering if it's even worth considering using.

post #2857 of 2865

The built in DAC is wonderful on the HDVD800, I have A/B with several DAC and the differences are minor. Unless you plan on a Schitt Multibit down the road, I wouldn't worry about the DAC its more than serviceable, its very good.


Edited by Dionysus - 11/7/16 at 3:41am
post #2858 of 2865

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/12600#post_10774632 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

By approximate price give or take a few hundred - not in order of sound quality - and only in relation to HD800.

 

...

  1. HDVD600/800 - I had my doubts, but great match with HD800. very refined sound, but probably lacks the slam the better amps have. balanced mode a must for staging, layering, separation, openness. not an exceptional amp, but very solid choice considering price. HD800 is smooth with this amp. I found the amp circuitry to have its own sound which allows the benefit of using a variety of sources without too many differences. This is a good thing at the price level.

...

 

 

 

I've also tried various DACs with the HDVA 600 (same amp as HDVD 800 minus DAC) and there are barely any difference IMO.

post #2859 of 2865

Cheers guys,

 

I'll let my ears relax and listen, rather than my brain worry about stuff it read 

 

:)

post #2860 of 2865

Two words......     REMOTE CONTROL

That is missing with both the HDVD 600 and 800.  That is also why I will not buy these...

post #2861 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoondog View Post
 

Two words......     REMOTE CONTROL

That is missing with both the HDVD 600 and 800.  That is also why I will not buy these...

 

How many desktop amps come with a remote? you will be missing out on an excellent sounding solid state amps.

post #2862 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

 

 

I've also tried various DACs with the HDVA 600 (same amp as HDVD 800 minus DAC) and there are barely any difference IMO.

I beg to differ.  A DAC on my PHA3 is actually a little better than what inside of the HDVD800.  The HDVD800 DAC isn't bad but it is lacking the depth cue of better sounding DACs IMO.  The Oppo HA-1 also has a considerably better sounding DAC than that of the HDVD800.  As many would have agreed, the amp section is quite excellent actually.

post #2863 of 2865

I have given a lot of though about this Sennheiser's and TIDAL combination... And frankly to be honest, i am bit worried about what this can mean for the HDVD 820.... :( Maybe the reason was that they really wanted to make TIDAL partnership before releasing 820, to support MQA playback on the HDVD 820 (as @iDesign said)....

In the NYC Sennheiser store where you can demo HE-1 they are exclusively using TIDAL to playback the music. 


And the fact that Warner Bros entire catalogue has been processed by MQA in TIDAL, when other major companies follow (Sony etc) IT will (probably) become more major and bigger thing in general. 

New technologies don't necessarily mean bad thing. I think one reason why TIDAL signed deal with Sennheiser is that Sennheiser could add MQA support to their products? And TIDAL has been suffering lately compared to Spotify in sales. Maybe this MQA and Sennheiser deal could boost up their reputation?   Alltrough Schiit refuses to support MQA, it doesn't stop MQA from growing. 

 

I don't know. It doesn't really make sense to use MQA support in desktop amp. And HDVD buyers aren't really the group that MQA is targeted to. On the other hand, it doesn't really hurt anything to add it, IF they don't compromise the sound quality(?) *Looking at you HDVD 800's DAC*.....

REALLY wish Sennheiser knows what they are doing right now. Its all just punch of speculation before anything official comes out


Edited by fapman - 11/15/16 at 8:21am
post #2864 of 2865

This is quite "thing string" and usually we don't get Black Friday sales or atleast very rarely in the Summit-fi lineup. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

BUT.... 1 399$ WHAT?!!:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHBWWFW/ref=pe_154040_216670600_em_1p_1_ti

Never ever have i seen it go this down.

IF we are getting HDVD 820 soon, this is damn good indicator on that one... This might be misleading and i could be wrong, but i think the first indicator in the market is huge price drop to clear room for successor(?)

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HDVD-800-Headphone-Amplifier/product/B00BHBWWFW 


Edited by fapman - 11/25/16 at 2:34pm
post #2865 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by fapman View Post
 

This is quite "thing string" and usually we don't get Black Friday sales or atleast very rarely in the Summit-fi lineup. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

BUT.... 1 399$ WHAT?!!:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHBWWFW/ref=pe_154040_216670600_em_1p_1_ti

Never ever have i seen it go this down.

IF we are getting HDVD 820 soon, this is damn good indicator on that one... This might be misleading and i could be wrong, but i think the first indicator in the market is huge price drop to clear room for successor(?)

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HDVD-800-Headphone-Amplifier/product/B00BHBWWFW 


It is more likely that Amazon is simply discounting inventory that has been sitting around. I suspect HDVA 600 and HDVD 800 sales are at their lowest low. 


Edited by iDesign - 11/25/16 at 11:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier