Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 126

post #1876 of 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascrown View Post

Hi,



 



I've seen here:



http://www.head-fi.org/t/701917/tokyo-headphone-festival-presented-by-fujiya-avic-october-26-27-2013-pictorial



that the hdvd is displayed with a lot of hd650, now question is, any of you has tried these together, or with the hd600? Do you think it's a good ("cheap") alternative to the hd800? Otherwise, what other headphones do you suggest?



 



Thanks


 


I am not, by a long shot, a technical expert in this field. But for what it's worth - I have lived with my HD650 for around 8 years and have always been happy with them. The last year I have made two upgrades in my headphone gear:
1. Bought a new amp, Sennheiser HDVD800 -> a huge step up in sound quality
2. Bought a new balanced (Q Silk) cable to my HD650 -> another solid improvement to the overall sound quality

All in all I am a happy camper with what I have now. Next up is probably to try the HD800 in this set-up, but they are too darn expensive for the moment where I live (Sweden). You used to be able to find them for a good price but since a year back you can not find them any cheaper at any dealer...
post #1877 of 2317

Just been trying the HDVD 800 with the new HD8-DJ's - sound is pretty good for closed backs, not up to the same level of detail as the HD800's obviously, but a bass rich sound that doesn't overshadow the mids & highs.

 

 

 

 

 

post #1878 of 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by uffeolby View Post

I am not, by a long shot, a technical expert in this field. But for what it's worth - I have lived with my HD650 for around 8 years and have always been happy with them. The last year I have made two upgrades in my headphone gear:
1. Bought a new amp, Sennheiser HDVD800 -> a huge step up in sound quality
2. Bought a new balanced (Q Silk) cable to my HD650 -> another solid improvement to the overall sound quality

All in all I am a happy camper with what I have now. Next up is probably to try the HD800 in this set-up, but they are too darn expensive for the moment where I live (Sweden). You used to be able to find them for a good price but since a year back you can not find them any cheaper at any dealer...

I've found a good amazon deal for the hd650 they should arrive soon, so I can try them with the dt 990 and see which one I like more.

Thank you for your feedback

post #1879 of 2317
If anyone thinks the DAC section of the HDVD800 sucks but still wants to use it I recommend to skip using the USB input and try the SPDIF or Toslink inputs instead.
I got the relatively reasonably priced Kingrex UD384 (yes I know the brand name sounds underwhelming) and use it as an USB to SPDIF converter linking it to the HDVD800 with far better results. The UD384 is so far in my experience the best way to tap my iPad Air or iPhone 5s digital out via the CCK (Apple camera kit adapter).

However, if you've got an external high-end DAC already with USB input I would just connect that to the analogue inputs of your HDVD800.
post #1880 of 2317

I'm seeing talk here again about the difference in sound between using balanced or unbalanced cables with the HDVD800. The differences that you hear have nothing to do with the cables.

 

For example. The stock cables on new pair of HD800 cans, and the special order "balanced" cables that Senheiser makes for the HD800 are the SAME EXACT cables! They are just terminated on a different style plug so that when you plug it into the HDVD800, you can use the AMPLIFIER in its fully balanced mode.

 

In unbalanced mode, the HDVD800's output voltage swing is X number of volts. In balanced mode it is 2X volts. That means 4 times the power can be delivered to the headphones by the amplifier in balanced mode than in unbalanced. There are other sonic advantages of the HDVD800 when run in balanced over unbalanced mode, but it's the difference in the AMP CONFIGURATION that makes the biggest difference in the sound.

 

In fact, I think that the unbalanced configuration of the HDVD800 is a tad bit enemic the way the amp is designed. After all it was designed to optimally run in balanced mode with both sets of electronics running together (in unbalanced mode one half of the amplifier's electronics sets unused).

 

That being said, running the HDVD800 in balanced mode will almost always sound better than unbalanced regardless of what type of cables you are using. Comparing headphones wired to the unbalanced output of the amp to headphones wired to the balanced output is comparing apples to oranges.

 

- Jeff

post #1881 of 2317
I own the hdvd800. And I own the hd800. It is the most neutral amp I own , and I have owned a boatload of really good amps.

Balance mode does sound better , but I think it's not that it's balanced it's that it has 4 times the power output. And unless we used a cal mic to set the volume to compare louder just sounds better. Now the dac is ok nothing special but does sound much better with the spidif and my offramp5. But the offramp 5 all in and the PSU too was about 2700. Now that's a long way to go to get better sound. I almost sold the the amp , but I have changed my mind. The amp is just too bright for me with the hd800. But a little EQ fixes it. Just like a little cutting the bass and adding a little upper mids and treble to the lcd3 does fixes them as well.

Al
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 2/7/14 at 4:24am
post #1882 of 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I own the hdvd800. And I own the hd800. It is the most neutral amp I own , and I have owned a boatload of really good amps.

Balance mode does sound better , but I think it's not that it's balanced it's that it has 4 times the power output. And unless we used a cal mic to set the volume to compare louder just sounds better. 

Al

 

After initially thinking there might be something else, I also feel it is likely just the difference in power. It is not always easy to level match things when listening.

 

At any rate, my first cable broke, so when it came to replacement I upgraded to balanced and paid the difference. Am enjoying, even though the cable seems very likely to be way over priced to me.

post #1883 of 2317

Well, I think for high impedance phones, balance is always better. Since the impedance is high, the double amped noise will not get in the way much. But with more power, you can supply more current to the phone so the bass will gets more juice.

However, if you have low impedance phones like TH900 or ED8, single ended output will be preferred. The high sensitivity of the driver makes the noise very easy to pop out.

 

All the above are general comment about good quality dedicated "Balanced" and "Single-ended" amps. Personally, the single ended output of the HDVD800 sound worse compare to my rpx-35 single ended amp. Hence, for amps that mainly designed for balance, they might cut some slacks on the single ended output.

post #1884 of 2317
Going from SE to balanced is four times the power. That is why it sounds different . I have a woo WA22. It sounds great with most headphones and the hd800. But in SE not so good a big change . The Mp Lso needs to be feed bal as well.

Al
post #1885 of 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by uffeolby View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascrown View Post
 

Hi,

 

 

 

I've seen here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701917/tokyo-headphone-festival-presented-by-fujiya-avic-october-26-27-2013-pictorial

 

that the hdvd is displayed with a lot of hd650, now question is, any of you has tried these together, or with the hd600? Do you think it's a good ("cheap") alternative to the hd800? Otherwise, what other headphones do you suggest?

 

 

 

Thanks

 


I am not, by a long shot, a technical expert in this field. But for what it's worth - I have lived with my HD650 for around 8 years and have always been happy with them. The last year I have made two upgrades in my headphone gear:
1. Bought a new amp, Sennheiser HDVD800 -> a huge step up in sound quality
2. Bought a new balanced (Q Silk) cable to my HD650 -> another solid improvement to the overall sound quality

All in all I am a happy camper with what I have now. Next up is probably to try the HD800 in this set-up, but they are too darn expensive for the moment where I live (Sweden). You used to be able to find them for a good price but since a year back you can not find them any cheaper at any dealer...

As an owner of both HD600 and HD800 I can say ( not using the HDVD 800 but my Creek amp) that after several months of using the HD800s I tried switching back to the 600s and was immediately cognizant of the drop in experience.. I didn't notice much difference when I first got the 800s but it really hit me between the eyes after I got used to them.  Going back to the 600s (I thought they might be better for solo piano) I experienced a drop in depth and substance on everything.  The piano sounded thinner with less meat; let's face it, everything sounds meatier through the 800s. 

 

I imagine you can repeat the experience with any decent amp; just guessing of course.  The point is, 600s, (and probably 650s) are not a cheap substitute for 800s.  Secondly, the longer you become acquainted with something, the faster you notice the difference between the original and a substitute.

post #1886 of 2317
Our ears can detect the change in a a b testing
But if you just used the hd600 for a day or so
They would sound fine. Given the hd800 do get fatiguing after a while
Of playing. They both have there purpose

Al
post #1887 of 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Our ears can detect the change in a a b testing
But if you just used the hd600 for a day or so
They would sound fine. Given the hd800 do get fatiguing after a while
Of playing. They both have there purpose

Al

Which proves that we can get used to anything and even come to like it if we aren't sampling another example of the same kind of thing.  Holds true for cigarettes, beer, whatever.  Once you get used to one sample, it comes to be your favorite, or rather your perception of what is good and right will change with repeated sampling of the same thing. And  I never find the HD800s to be fatiguing,  Never found the 600s to be fatiguing after extended listening either.   My points are repeated exposure breeds familiarity and after considerable experience with the 800s I don't think I will ever find the 600s to be anything near their equal.

post #1888 of 2317
Yes but only if you go back and forth.
Example I have several sets of IEMS.
I rotate them weey. So when I go form say the fitear tg 334
Made custom to let's say the jh16 fp
There is an immediate change but it lessons and goes away
In a short period of listening. The same is true
Of how loud we listen. If I lower the volume it stinks but in a short while
It's fine.
Now I like JOHNNY blue. And if I go black yuck
Bu after a couple who can tell. LOL

al
post #1889 of 2317

You know that human only have limited number of hair cells. And if you use some region extensively, eventually they will be worn off.

Hence, two years ago I find my HD800 a bit hot on many pop and rock songs.Now, I I just think it is fine and there is no sonic energy cause my ear pain anymore.

 

Some say it is because it got burned in, some say it is because my music source is getter better. I just think, my ear has been ruining already so I will have the same hearing ability as those sennheiser sound engineers who will be old and probably half deaf already~~~

post #1890 of 2317
Why don't you have your ears checked. And do your ears ring after listening to music ?

Al
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier