or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 123

post #1831 of 2865
Definetly you are right - the music is what matters. And indeed for me balancing the flavours of the gear makes the good meal (or sound). And a lot of the fun i find in the hifi hobby........
So thanks for the nice conversation and have a good time with the music you a hearing!
Edited by Blink66 - 1/16/14 at 1:34pm
post #1832 of 2865

well, you too~

 

I am getting an GS-X + M7 soon.(Maybe not for the GS-X)

Hope I will not toss my HDVD800 away.........

The GS-X and M7 is actually for my future possible planars, but if they can make my HD800 sing better, might as well use them too.

post #1833 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink66 View Post

After six month of listening to the HDVD 800 i would like to say that in my opinion it's a perect match for the Hd800. And that statment includes the integrated dac. I think it's colored in a way that perfectly fits the HD 800. That means the given transparancy and clearity of the Hd800 always feels comfortable using the HDVD and never too mutch. Bass is also filled up a bit but still very controlled and deep. Using different dacs i alway came back to the internal dac ( m2tech young with external accu, audio gd, etc.) In certain aspects this dacs may sound better - but all in all the HDVDs dac gives me more fun and ist still detailed and spacy. I think it fits the headphone better then other do. And when you begin to think about prices its cheap cause you get a top usb implementation. ......but of cause just my opinion.

 

I am glad you are enjoying the HDVD 800. But is it not a perfect match for the HD 800. It is a poor one in my opinion at the price. The amp is NOT that transparent and clear. As I noted in a previous post in this thread, it was very badly outperformed by the Auralic Taurus. On several tracks it sounded congested (I gave the example of Dark Side of the Moon which many have at home). Sometimes one can trade poor transparency for beautiful tone or musicality etc. But that is not the case of HDVA 600. Granted I listened to it without the DAC, but I used a Nagra CD which in principal should not have under performed the DAC in the HDVD 800. The Auralic is a bit more expensive, but worth every cent over the HDVA 600. 

 

On a head to head with Graham Slee Solo Ultraliner (not the latest Diamond version) which is much cheaper, the HDVA also seemed unimpressive as well (although we were listening to Sennheiser's music choice and not my own, so a less authoritative comparison than in the case of my Auralic comparison.  

 

Its beautiful, and its branded Sennheiser. But don't be swayed by that. It is far, far from perfect in my experience.

post #1834 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Pedro View Post

I am glad you are enjoying the HDVD 800. But is it not a perfect match for the HD 800. It is a poor one in my opinion at the price. The amp is NOT that transparent and clear. As I noted in a previous post in this thread, it was very badly outperformed by the Auralic Taurus. On several tracks it sounded congested (I gave the example of Dark Side of the Moon which many have at home). Sometimes one can trade poor transparency for beautiful tone or musicality etc. But that is not the case of HDVA 600. Granted I listened to it without the DAC, but I used a Nagra CD which in principal should not have under performed the DAC in the HDVD 800. The Auralic is a bit more expensive, but worth every cent over the HDVA 600. 

On a head to head with Graham Slee Solo Ultraliner (not the latest Diamond version) which is much cheaper, the HDVA also seemed unimpressive as well (although we were listening to Sennheiser's music choice and not my own, so a less authoritative comparison than in the case of my Auralic comparison.  

Its beautiful, and its branded Sennheiser. But don't be swayed by that. It is far, far from perfect in my experience.

Thanks for that information Seed Pedro. So i will give the Auralic Taurus a listen somtime. But keep in mind that it's always a subjektiv view when you think some gear is absolutly better - it's allways in YOUR ears.
post #1835 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

If the burson is a well built amp it will sound identical to the HDVD800 and all other well built solid state amps. So the decision comes down to price / looks/ connectivity.

 

Seems people forget the intentionally high output impedance (43 ohm) of HDVD800/600. It will never sound identical to most low impedance amps.

post #1836 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

Seems people forget the intentionally high output impedance (43 ohm) of HDVD800/600. It will never sound identical to most low impedance amps.
This is true, I thought it made more of a difference than it actually does with the 300ohm senns. Subjectively I found it to sound slightly tilted in favour of mid bass, in some basic blind tests it's much harder to say this had an obvious effect. If it was 100 ohm output I think it would be obvious but 43 is right on the point of really having an effect on damping with high impedance phones.
post #1837 of 2865

Hi James,

 

If I'm not wrong you used to have an hpa v200, now that amplifier should be with low output impedance and really precise measurements, but on the "warm" side (so it's not transparent, isn't it?). Could you please tell me if you then decided to go for the senn just for his (absolutely) better look? I received a nice offer on that product and, if there is any room for improvement with that amplifier,  I'm  kinda tempted to try it (but I don't like the way it can be converted to a different voltage).

Thank you

 

T.

post #1838 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascrown View Post

Hi James,

If I'm not wrong you used to have an hpa v200, now that amplifier should be with low output impedance and really precise measurements, but on the "warm" side (so it's not transparent, isn't it?). Could you please tell me if you then decided to go for the senn just for his (absolutely) better look? I received a nice offer on that product and, if there is any room for improvement with that amplifier,  I'm  kinda tempted to try it (but I don't like the way it can be converted to a different voltage).
Thank you

T.
Hi, when I had the v200 I a/b a lot with the O2 and it sounded identical at same volume. I did buy the hdvd800 for its looks and size because the v stack took up a lot of room and the O2 looks ugly. I actually thought the hdvd800 sounded better than both the O2 and v200 to start with but I didn't a/b them .I was just happy with it ,it was the new toy honeymoon period smily_headphones1.gif since then i always assumed it was the 43 ohm output making that slight difference . I then decided recently to a/ b with the O2/ odac and it sounded identical. Wasn't really a surprise . The 43ohm output should only have a very small effect on damping . Basically all 3 of these Amps/dac combos sound fantastic and I would recommend any if them. I know which one looks best though wink.gif
post #1839 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink66 View Post

Sorry driggs - my statment was not meant as an answer to your question. No Burson Conducter heared here.....
But if you own a HD800 the HDVD800 is a good choice because its simply tuned to let the HD800 sound just fine - it compensates some "faults" of this headphone (sometimes a bit harsh, slim bass) without adding new ones. Maybe the Conductor is a more universal amp? But that's just guessing.
Main reason for my reply in this forum was my opinion that the dac of this amplifer is underrated and doesn't deserve all that bashing.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Giskard View Post
 

Yes, as a matter of fact and the conclusion is interesting. I still maintain that HDVA600 (and HDVD800) are good amplifiers. It is perhaps the DAC in the HDVD800 that is slightly lacking, even though it is not critical, behind the amplifier section. The Burson amplifier is not as transparent or as assertive in it's presentation and that is what bothers me with Burson somewhat and just the Conductor model. I lacks some brutality and attitude which to be politically correct, means it lacks some dynamic attack. The Sennheiser is better in that respect. However, I will say that the Burson built-in DAC is slightly more resolving and dynamic even though not by much. With HD800, the HDVD800 would be a better choice. 

 

Even if there are better choices out there, something better would also be more expensive.

 

Thanks Blink66 & R Giskard...  I am so curious about hearing the HDVD800 with the HD800's and the only reference point is my Burson Conductor...

post #1840 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Pedro View Post
 

 

I am glad you are enjoying the HDVD 800. But is it not a perfect match for the HD 800. It is a poor one in my opinion at the price. The amp is NOT that transparent and clear. As I noted in a previous post in this thread, it was very badly outperformed by the Auralic Taurus. On several tracks it sounded congested (I gave the example of Dark Side of the Moon which many have at home). Sometimes one can trade poor transparency for beautiful tone or musicality etc. But that is not the case of HDVA 600. Granted I listened to it without the DAC, but I used a Nagra CD which in principal should not have under performed the DAC in the HDVD 800. The Auralic is a bit more expensive, but worth every cent over the HDVA 600. 

 

On a head to head with Graham Slee Solo Ultraliner (not the latest Diamond version) which is much cheaper, the HDVA also seemed unimpressive as well (although we were listening to Sennheiser's music choice and not my own, so a less authoritative comparison than in the case of my Auralic comparison.  

 

Its beautiful, and its branded Sennheiser. But don't be swayed by that. It is far, far from perfect in my experience.

I don't consider Dark Side of the Moon to much of a test.  I dragged it out some time back and it was terribly muddy through my HD800. This is an old recording, from the 60s and was meant to be mainly a head trip back then for people my age  back then, most of whom had cheap crappy systems.  The best cans then were Koss, which suck by today's standards.

post #1841 of 2865

PF fanatic here. Their music still sends me on a head trip....

Try listening to the 2011 Remaster of DSOTM on CD. Sounds great!

Yeah, the original record sounds like poop. It was released in 1973.

post #1842 of 2865
I have 5 different versions of DSOTM and none of them are what I would call "high fidelity." It doesnt take any pleasure away from the album, its just that I would never use it as "demo material" unless I was demonstrating how superior modern recordings sound... wink.gif
post #1843 of 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I have 5 different versions of DSOTM and none of them are what I would call "high fidelity." It doesnt take any pleasure away from the album, its just that I would never use it as "demo material" unless I was demonstrating how superior modern recordings sound... wink.gif


I only have one DSOTM version which is the "XX" i.e. 20th anniversary edition.

It can be found for around $4 used :

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Side-Moon-Anniversary/dp/B000008JGJ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

 

I have no other comparison and it's not some fancy gold disc but for my lowly ears this disc sounds pretty amazing.

Do you have this one too and are not satisfied with the sound ?

post #1844 of 2865
No, I dont have that version.

I have the original CD release, the original SACD release, the original MFSL Half-Speed mastered LP, the 30th Anniversay LP, and of course, a pre-recorded cassette for rocking with my Walkman.
Edited by palmfish - 1/28/14 at 3:25pm
post #1845 of 2865

Oh man, one of my FAVORITE SACDs! That and Wish You Where Here are prized pieces in my multichannel audio collection!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier