or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 119

post #1771 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 


Well, as far as balance amp goes, they aren't many for the price range that is below $1600. The only two I know is BHA-1 and Schiit~~~

And the only reason I got the HDVD800 instead of BHA-1 is because I like the sound on HDVA600 more from my DAC1 compare to BHA-1.

I tired the one without the additional PSU so I am not sure how much better it will be~~

 

As far as pay for the look, I did pay for a pair of Ultrasone Edition 8, Never thought Beats looks good or sounds good~~~~~

 

I only get beats because I want to fit in to the general population. So people outside of my faculty will not realize I am a nerdy engineer student when I walk in campus~~~

 

P.S.

I think beast is a very good phone if you charge them 20 bucks.

post #1772 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHell View Post
 


Well, as far as balance amp goes, they aren't many for the price range that is below $1600. The only two I know is BHA-1 and Schiit~~~

And the only reason I got the HDVD800 instead of BHA-1 is because I like the sound on HDVA600 more from my DAC1 compare to BHA-1.

I tired the one without the additional PSU so I am not sure how much better it will be~~

 

As far as pay for the look, I did pay for a pair of Ultrasone Edition 8, Never thought Beats looks good or sounds good~~~~~

 

I only get beats because I want to fit in to the general population. So people outside of my faculty will not realize I am a nerdy engineer student when I walk in campus~~~

 

P.S.

I think beast is a very good phone if you charge them 20 bucks.

Not many around hear think that Beats sound good. Which engineering discipline are you studying?

post #1773 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Not many around hear think that Beats sound good. Which engineering discipline are you studying?


Since I know nyquist theorem, fourier transform, quantization step size and error relation and nyquist-shannon sampling theorem. I am also familiar with class A, Class B and Class AB amplification on BJT implementation and their efficiency and slew rate. And I do know how to make cable and wiring stuff on PCBs.......

 

(I do not treat Google like a god and uses windows and IE all the time.)

 

You should have a valid guess of what discipline I am in:P

post #1774 of 2869
@AlanHell
 
Not really. Nyquisti theorem, Fourier order transformations as part of partial differential calculation are subjects on many engineering classes, including information technology engineering, structural engineering and I could name a dozen other fields in which these principle have found their application. Even basic terminology like resitance and capacitance have found their theoretical application in point mechanics first, long before electrical engineering became a viable field. 

Edited by R Giskard - 1/3/14 at 8:37am
post #1775 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHell View Post
 


Since I know nyquist theorem, fourier transform, quantization step size and error relation and nyquist-shannon sampling theorem. I am also familiar with class A, Class B and Class AB amplification on BJT implementation and their efficiency and slew rate. And I do know how to make cable and wiring stuff on PCBs.......

 

(I do not treat Google like a god and uses windows and IE all the time.)

 

You should have a valid guess of what discipline I am in:P

Then you must know that Dual Slope Integration is not a social issue. Nice to see that someone in North America is still interested in EE.

post #1776 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHell View Post
 


 

 

Not to say that it sound the best, I am happy about the amp's resolution. DAC, not so much.

However, due to the low quality of DAC, it does put less stress on the high frequency and more emphasize to the low end. Which makes the HD800 perform quiet well on low quality pop musics itunes provide.

 

P.S.

I think sennheiser has the technology backbone of making good amps. The HE90 combo still have very important roll in the history of headfi. I admit when I first heard of the HDVD800, I am a bit disappointed about the DAC. But, if you look at the amp alone, I think nothing in the 1600 dollar price range can make the HD800 sounds as good.

 

Alan -> Unfortunately, the resolution of the amp is not particularly commendable, especially when I compared with the Auralic Taurus, which is more expensive than the HDVA 600 (apologies for confusingly calling it HDVD 600 in my first post), but not by much. In the US it is US$1600 vs US$ 1900. 

 

The HDVA 600 has the brand and the looks. And that is about it.

 

I do agree with you that Sennheiser should have the resources (witness the Orpheus they displayed in London) to put out an amp that does justice to the HD 800. Their first effort is poor to my ears.

 

Thomas -> I don't think there are any London dealers which carry both Auralic and Sennheiser. It was a special favour that the Sennheiser dealer had the amp shipped from the Auralic UK distributor. I can only surmise that he must have kept it around for a few days and perhaps it was then that you listened to it.

 

And you bought instead the HDVA 600 instead of the Auralic? All I can say to you is "Wow!". Perhaps with your Beyer the Sennheisser sounds best and I am happy for you. But with the HD 800 my experience was vastly different from yours. The Sennheiser was not even in the same category as the Auralic. And it was not only because the Auralic was noticeably more powerful than the HDVA 600.

post #1777 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Then you must know that Dual Slope Integration is not a social issue. Nice to see that someone in North America is still interested in EE.


lol, that is the problem actually. Since there are very few ppl in North America even understand the world "integration", it is very hard to be an EE here and not be treated as nerd........

 

I guess that is why V-Moda and BEATS are very popular here. Just because hip-hop is band limited from 4-400Hz, the FR of most of people's ear has also been put on with a psychological low pass filter. So, more bass it has, the larger sub-woofer dish it contains, the more voltage swing its outputs, define the more quality of the sound~~~~

This value comes to everything: my stock car audio, my stock phone headphone, my gaming headset, my guitar amp..... They are cheap, and they are very very very bassy. To a points that nothing else come out~~~~ I hate it!

 

It is like lots of people trying to put tube on an amp to roll of the highs and basses so the phone will sound "RIGHT". I mean, it just does not go right to me~~~ I believe that every single chain of my audio equipments should  have as flat FR as possible across all dynamic range. If I dislike the sound of the headphone, then it simply means I disagree with the sound engineer of that company about how "realistic" sound should be present on that specific product. The solution is simply switch to another phone and try it again. For all my experience, with any decent $200+ amps, the signature of the headphone will be revealed and at least 80% of its potential will be reached. If you hate it, a $10,000 amp is not gonna change 80% of the fact you hate it. Any added coloration and distortion to the amp is a betrayal of the term "high fidelity". I'd rather let the musician and the recording sound engineer decide what is the "Color" of the music piece. Other than fixing the "problem" on the receiving end so that ALL my musics will sound like one "Color".

 

It is proactive V.S reactive. You know where my vote goes to.....

 

Well, I think I go off topic pretty fast.... I will stop here.

I do wish there is more people knows EE here so at least I can have a way to explain my self to them~~~~

post #1778 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Pedro View Post
 

 

Alan -> Unfortunately, the resolution of the amp is not particularly commendable, especially when I compared with the Auralic Taurus, which is more expensive than the HDVA 600 (apologies for confusingly calling it HDVD 600 in my first post), but not by much. In the US it is US$1600 vs US$ 1900. 

 

The HDVA 600 has the brand and the looks. And that is about it.

 

I do agree with you that Sennheiser should have the resources (witness the Orpheus they displayed in London) to put out an amp that does justice to the HD 800. Their first effort is poor to my ears.

 

Thomas -> I don't think there are any London dealers which carry both Auralic and Sennheiser. It was a special favour that the Sennheiser dealer had the amp shipped from the Auralic UK distributor. I can only surmise that he must have kept it around for a few days and perhaps it was then that you listened to it.

 

And you bought instead the HDVA 600 instead of the Auralic? All I can say to you is "Wow!". Perhaps with your Beyer the Sennheisser sounds best and I am happy for you. But with the HD 800 my experience was vastly different from yours. The Sennheiser was not even in the same category as the Auralic. And it was not only because the Auralic was noticeably more powerful than the HDVA 600.


I cannot have any comments on it since HDVA600 is the most expensive amp I have currently owned. It sounds good to me because I have no other higher class reference I can compare it to. However, I got what you mean. And that is why my GS-X MKII is coming hopefully the end of this year~~~~

 

But I do think $300 is a difference that will result noticeable improvement in terms of sound quality. Not to mention sennheiser normally over charge their product, so the gap may be much bigger. At least for most of the time, you pay for what you got~~~

post #1779 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Giskard View Post
 


It is true, and I remember when I was taking some sound acoustic classes, my prof actually tell me how to convert mechanical and acoustic domains into a pure electrical domains and use electrical princeliness to solve them as a circuit easily. It also helps us to solve the wave equation in many controlled environment. 

 

I recall, in the from of calculation : capacitance is similar to mass, voltage is similar to velocity,  current is force, conductance is damping, etc~~~

 

I guess if you go to the advance calculus side, everything can be converted to math already.

 

I should say things like laplace transform, terms in analog and digital signal processing, IV characteristics of different type of  transistors, current mirror and current biasing sounds more like an EE other than  engineering in general~~

post #1780 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHell View Post
 


It is true, and I remember when I was taking some sound acoustic classes, my prof actually tell me how to convert mechanical and acoustic domains into a pure electrical domains and use electrical princeliness to solve them as a circuit easily. It also helps us to solve the wave equation in many controlled environment. 

 

I recall, in the from of calculation : capacitance is similar to mass, voltage is similar to velocity,  current is force, conductance is damping, etc~~~

 

I guess if you go to the advance calculus side, everything can be converted to math already.

 

I should say things like laplace transform, terms in analog and digital signal processing, IV characteristics of different type of  transistors, current mirror and current biasing sounds more like an EE other than  engineering in general~~

Isn't Voltage more like pressure or force (EMF - Electromotive Force) and Current is the amount of flow (coulombs per second) and Conductance the inverse of resistance. Damping is another story altogether and is used to prevent or reduce overcorrection, instability and oscillation.

post #1781 of 2869
post #1782 of 2869
I've posted the above video because I personally like the HDVD800 (and own it) but I don't think it's any better or worse than any other decent amp. They all sound the same unless designed to sound coloured. Same for dacs/ cables etc. I have my own reasons for buying the senn amp but I got it knowing these facts. I do think the 43 ohm output on the HDVD800 adds a very slight but of warmth in the mid bass but I've not blind tested myself against another transparent amp so it's probably placebo.
post #1783 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Isn't Voltage more like pressure or force (EMF - Electromotive Force) and Current is the amount of flow (coulombs per second) and Conductance the inverse of resistance. Damping is another story altogether and is used to prevent or reduce overcorrection, instability and oscillation.

I am stating it in the form of how they been calculated:

 

if you make velocity (v) = voltage (V or e); force (f) = current (i)

then, you can get

  mass(M) equation:                f = M dv/dt   (you can treat dv/dt as acceleration since it is velocity over time)

  capacitance(C) equation:      i = C dV/dt  (same thing)

  damping (B) equation:           f= B v

  conductance(G) equation:     i = G V

 

you can see, from a mathematical view, there is no difference between mass and capacitance, and damping to conductance.

So, if you draw the mechanical diagram of a very complex mechanical system, and transform them into a electrical circuit, you can actually solve them very easily using KVL and KCL~~~~~

 

Believe me, the first time I saw it, I have been below away like this is some sort of magic~~~~

post #1784 of 2869

also what you have stated is in the acoustic domain, which I believe also have a equivalence set up like

 

volume velocity = current

acoustic pressure = voltage

acoustic compliance = capacitance

acoustic resistance = resistance

post #1785 of 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

I've posted the above video because I personally like the HDVD800 (and own it) but I don't think it's any better or worse than any other decent amp. They all sound the same unless designed to sound coloured. Same for dacs/ cables etc. I have my own reasons for buying the senn amp but I got it knowing these facts. I do think the 43 ohm output on the HDVD800 adds a very slight but of warmth in the mid bass but I've not blind tested myself against another transparent amp so it's probably placebo.


I cannot find the difference in amp too, but the DAC does sound less detailed with less sound stage compare to my DAC1. I believe the DAC is the only thing I said I wish them to do better~~~~ No 24/192 over optical alone is not acceptable to me!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier