Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 114

post #1696 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
 

Unbalanced inputs are converted to balanced? So there's no reason to use an outboard phase splitter to convert unbalanced RCA signal to balanced XLR? 

 

I rember hearing axel grell say that an unbalanced input connected to the hdvd800 would be converted to a symmetrical one.

post #1697 of 2070

Hot Diggity!

post #1698 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
 

Unbalanced inputs are converted to balanced? So there's no reason to use an outboard phase splitter to convert unbalanced RCA signal to balanced XLR? 


Sorry, I haven't been able to get on the forum often these days (managed to get a new job. Yay!)

 

If I understand your question(s) the answer(s) are yes :-)

 

The HDVD800 is a fully balanced system from the DACs all the way through to the headphone jacks and XLR outputs (there are no RCA outputs). The RCA inputs are split into an active balanced configuration INTERNAL to the HDVD800 where it is then fed through the selector switch into the balanced amplifier stream.

 

By the way, the unbalanced RCA inputs are also unique in that they have a level control on the rear of the HDVD800 so that they can be matched volume wise to other inputs like the DAC or the other digital inputs

 

Oh, and as far as the unbalanced output jack on the front of the unit goes, they are basically just using one side of each balanced channel's  output.


Edited by wisemanja - 12/6/13 at 5:43pm
post #1699 of 2070

Thanks for the reply Wisemanja! Since I have a DAC (Benchmark DAC2 HGC), I decided to go for the HDVA 600 and I just got it yesterday. Using balanced HF cables from Q-audio for my HD800s and so far so good.  Too early to do any comparisons to the DAC2's headphone amp, but I'll give the HDVA 600 a few tens of hours of run-in over the weekend and then start doing some serious listening.

 

BTW, if anyone in the states is interested in either of these Senn products, I got mine @ Crutchfield and they have a 60-day return policy, so plenty of time to try and no risk if it doesn't turn out to be everything your heart desired!

post #1700 of 2070

Bookmark my new site Audio360.org because we will have something very nice to go with your HDVA 600 and HDVD 800.  I can't give more details right now, but I already have it in my hands so we are not far from public release.

Reply
post #1701 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 

Bookmark my new site Audio360.org because we will have something very nice to go with your HDVA 600 and HDVD 800.  I can't give more details right now, but I already have it in my hands so we are not far from public release.

 

:OOOOOOO

post #1702 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Bookmark my new site Audio360.org because we will have something very nice to go with your HDVA 600 and HDVD 800.  I can't give more details right now, but I already have it in my hands so we are not far from public release.
If it's the K812, it's available in stores now.
post #1703 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post


I believe it was $369.00 plus shipping.

They quoted me $379.95.  Have to think about all this upgrade stuff.

post #1704 of 2070
javascript:;Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post


I believe it was $369.00 plus shipping.

Somebody called HI-Fi Spot in Hong Kong is selling a 6m balanced cable for the Senns 800 for $338.00 on ebay.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221311350275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

Does anybody know anything about this?  If I get one I will need more than the 3m offered by Sennheiser.  I need at least 15 feet; 20 would be better. 

 

Any experience with this seller or this product?  Should be looked

 

~~ SHIPPING 6M-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD800-with-Balanced-XLR-4pins-Neutrik-PLUG Mouse over image to zoom Have one to sell? Sell it yourself Details about 6M Upgrade Cable For SENNHEISER HD800 with Balanced XLR 4pins Neutrik PLUG Seller information hifispot168 (6344 ) 99.3% Positive feedback Follow this seller See other items Visit store: Ebay Stores HIFI SPOT AdChoice- opens in a new window or tab Item Information Item condition: New Quantity: Error icon 4 available / 1 sold Price: US $338.00 Buy It Now Add to cart 1 watcher Add to list Add to collection Free Shipping New Condition BillMeLater Spend $99+ and get 6 months to pay Subject to credit approval.See terms Shipping: FREE ePacket delivery from Hong Kong | See details International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Item location: HIFI SPOT, Hong Kong Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions Delivery: Estimated between Tue. Dec. 24 and Fri. Jan. 3 Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 7 business days. Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing. Payments: | See details Returns: 14 days money back or item exchange, buyer pays return shipping | Read details Guarantee: | Learn more Get the item you ordered or get your money back.into and discussed.

post #1705 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Pangaea View Post
 
javascript:;Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post


I believe it was $369.00 plus shipping.

Somebody called HI-Fi Spot in Hong Kong is selling a 6m balanced cable for the Senns 800 for $338.00 on ebay.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221311350275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

Does anybody know anything about this?  If I get one I will need more than the 3m offered by Sennheiser.  I need at least 15 feet; 20 would be better. 

 

Any experience with this seller or this product?  Should be looked

 

~~ SHIPPING 6M-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD800-with-Balanced-XLR-4pins-Neutrik-PLUG Mouse over image to zoom Have one to sell? Sell it yourself Details about 6M Upgrade Cable For SENNHEISER HD800 with Balanced XLR 4pins Neutrik PLUG Seller information hifispot168 (6344 ) 99.3% Positive feedback Follow this seller See other items Visit store: Ebay Stores HIFI SPOT AdChoice- opens in a new window or tab Item Information Item condition: New Quantity: Error icon 4 available / 1 sold Price: US $338.00 Buy It Now Add to cart 1 watcher Add to list Add to collection Free Shipping New Condition BillMeLater Spend $99+ and get 6 months to pay Subject to credit approval.See terms Shipping: FREE ePacket delivery from Hong Kong | See details International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Item location: HIFI SPOT, Hong Kong Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions Delivery: Estimated between Tue. Dec. 24 and Fri. Jan. 3 Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 7 business days. Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing. Payments: | See details Returns: 14 days money back or item exchange, buyer pays return shipping | Read details Guarantee: | Learn more Get the item you ordered or get your money back.into and discussed.

Seller is reliable (I got 2.5 HD800 cable from him), the cables are good, the actual manufacturer is Zy Cable. 

Liked the price, build and performance, ordered HD650 cable also made by Zy from Shenzen Audio (it's cheaper there), just received it. No complaints.

You can search for "Zy Cable" name on this board if you want to do more research, from what I've read it's a well known in China cable builder, not one off DIY.

post #1706 of 2070

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask, but is there a CAD file for the HDVD800? 

 

I'm attempting to make a stand for a friend, and it would be helpful to have more then a box to work with.

 

Edit: Spelling is tough.

post #1707 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXAce View Post

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask, but is there a CAD file for the HDVD800? 

I'm attempting to make a stand for a friend, and it would be helpful to have more then a box to work with.

Edit: Spelling is tough.

Huh? Your spelling is fine. Your only error is the use of "then" instead of "than." wink.gif
post #1708 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


Huh? Your spelling is fine. Your only error is the use of "then" instead of "than." wink.gif

Whoops, that too. Oh well.

post #1709 of 2070

Does the DAC do any re-sampling? And does the volume control affect the XLR analog outputs? (I guess the obvious answer is "yes," but I wanted to make sure.) I've been looking for something that might be able to replace my DacMagic Plus.

post #1710 of 2070
The volume control does not effect the XlR output. It sis NOT a preamp. Sorry. Of course it does almost all dac do. Dsd is converted to PCM forropcessing now beyond that I do not know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier