Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier - Page 95

post #1411 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

Can you give me some examples of how these super dacs translate 1 and 0s into electrical signals better. Using the HDVD dac as a comparison. I'm interested now in all the extra engineering that makes them better. I am clearly misguided and I need educating.

That is a trap. I told you politely exactly where you are wrong and now you want to play a brigand. If I had been rude, you'd play a man of honour and take umbrage. I have no stomach for games. 

 

I suggest you take part in a simple DIY project and perhaps learn the basic elements of D-A convertors. If you were any closer, I'd suggest you to apply for some classes in electrical engineering department (they are free and everyone is welcome) ,y colleague does at the University. Alternatively, you might want to find some articles online. They are also free and some deal with basic elementary thematic that should be simple enough for a non-professional. You might also like buying some sort of DIY kit and assemble your own convertor. Cheap ones can be had for less than 10 pounds. Those will be 8 bit convertors (kike the ones in your water heater) but should serve their purpose of introducing you to what everyone here calls a DAC. 

 

Cheers!

post #1412 of 2308
Quote:rsung

A noob question for anyone here... Instead of buying a whole new cable with a 4-pin XLR connector for my HD800 to replace the current cable that has the 1/4" connector, can I buy an extender cable like this, which has a 1/4" socket on one end and a 4-pin XLR male connector on the other? Thanks in advance.

You should have the XLR connector closest to the headphone, and then the XLR to TRS adapter.

The reason is that the XLR connector has the returns from the drivers separated, whereas they are connected in the TRS connector.

Foe single ended having the returns connected is no problem.

Having the returns connected in a balanced circuit could cause real problems.

post #1413 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Giskard View Post

That is a trap. I told you politely exactly where you are wrong and now you want to play a brigand. If I had been rude, you'd play a man of honour and take umbrage. I have no stomach for games. 

 

I didn't see anything beyond the usual (paraphrasing here) "your gear is crap, you're deaf, or both."

 

se

post #1414 of 2308

Going to have to side with R Giskard on this one, there is no way there is NOT a distinguishable difference between DACs. I've run the gamut cheap and spendy and while I would say some DACs are more similar than different, there are clear changes in the sounds for better or worse.

post #1415 of 2308

This argument comes back to the old arguments:-

Those who can't hear a difference accuse those who can of confirmation bias.

Those who can hear a difference say that those who can't have tin ears.

 

Let's agree to accept the fact that both sides are telling the truth that their experience is real.

Let's also agree to let the others' experiences be just as real as ours even if it is different to our own.

post #1416 of 2308
I couldn't agree more Wink. I shouldn't of retaliated to Giskards post regarding my thoughts on DACs. I took it the wrong way and I should of just accepted that we have a different approach/experiences in this hobby.
post #1417 of 2308
Thread Starter 

 

Finally........the cables are real.


Edited by PhilW - 8/23/13 at 5:29am
post #1418 of 2308
I'm so annoyed that I cancelled my pre order with custom cable! The retailer I have now pre ordered from is still awaiting stock . Face palm!
post #1419 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post




Finally........the cables are real.
what r ur 1st impressions of it,should get mine next week.
post #1420 of 2308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post


what r ur 1st impressions of it,should get mine next week.


I heard the cable at the Head-Fi meet in London and it does make a massive difference. I have not been able to open any of the cables we just received as they are all for our customers! Be prepared to wait till October now if you haven't already ordered.

post #1421 of 2308
I wonder why black connectors. Now they make/have two parts instead of one.
post #1422 of 2308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

I wonder why black connectors. Now they make/have two parts instead of one.


The cable connected in the pic is the standard cable as we don't have a shop XLR out yet! The XLR also has silver connectors.

post #1423 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

 

I didn't see anything beyond the usual (paraphrasing here) "your gear is crap, you're deaf, or both."

 

se

Really? Where from did you draw that conclusion? Didn't I say that HDVD800 is a capable piece of hardware? So regardless of your apparent fondness for catch-phrases, I see there's no real interest for learning on this thread. 

post #1424 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

I couldn't agree more Wink. I shouldn't of retaliated to Giskards post regarding my thoughts on DACs. I took it the wrong way and I should of just accepted that we have a different approach/experiences in this hobby.

Hi!

 

Think about  it this way. 

 

If you were a structural engineer like I am, we might be talking about two different approaches to building a cable-suspended bridge. You would say one thing and I would say something else. Okay! We should have different standpoints according to our own experience and proven industrial standards or just plain intuition. The part we would agree on is the cost. If something is more expensive, then it is more expensive for a good reason. Whther it be the environmental conditions like wind speed, soil instability or an earthquake risk. See my point here? That money has gone into additional research and quantity or quality of materials used. 

 

It is the same thing with electrical and chemical engineering. Providing the principles are sound and sane, it will inevitably cost more and it will show. I won't deny that there are some manufacturers out there that will sell you "hot water" like they invented it when in reality you will be buying something a lot less expensive. This time with a nicer packaging and shiny box. In serious design studios and engineering firms, no such thing can happen because you are, after all, legaly responsible for your work and the specifications have to conform to standards. No one will get killed if your amplifier stops working. But people might get hurt if the new 10 MW industrial generator becomes unstable because someone cut corners.

 

Why am I saying this? Well, the problem here is the cost. You see, if things like amplifiers cost a hundred times more than they do, people would be taking an advice from experts in order to make the right choice. The way things are, these things are affordable and for most people, acceptable. This inevitably means everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone is an expert, without a scientific degree and without a hefty sum of money. 

 

You folks are sometimes behaving like petuland children. If I made some criticism, I didn't make them to be mean but to tell you where you are wrong.

 

Cheers!

post #1425 of 2308
Can we at least agree that said bridge could be over engineered?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier