New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE800 IEM's - Page 41

post #601 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Really because I thought they were very detailed IEMs? Just the treble and bass were too much IMO.
 

Yeah, I don't know what Ultrazino is hearing. Judging from the words he used, it's seems pretty subjective and exaggerated. Maybe his pair were defective. Whatever.

We should keep the discussion related to IE 800. 


Edited by Mini0510 - 12/4/12 at 5:20pm
post #602 of 2141

Seems the ie eight hundreds has not lived up to the expectations at this point. Wish I had a chance to try it myself.

post #603 of 2141

I sure hope that Jaben in HK has these in stock. If so, I will hear them Monday.

post #604 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

I sure hope that Jaben in HK has these in stock. If so, I will hear them Monday.

If you do, please share your impressions. Thanks

post #605 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

No it's poor as in I can hear twice as many details with the UE900. Of course the V-shape drowns some details, but even with EQ, making the FX700 almost flat (bass -10, treble -8dB) obviously shows that the FX700 has a much poorer resolution.

 

Back when I borrowed a JH13 demo unit for a week, I A/Bed it to my own IEMs. The FX700 where the only dynamic driver based IEMs that had similar treble resolution. I don't EQ them, and of course mids and bass are not quite as good, but I don't think they miss out that much detail as your post would suggest.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

 

Understood. In fact, I was just trying to guess the sound quality rating out of 10 according to joker's reviews lol. He rated FI-BA-SS and FX700 both at 9.3. The AKG K3003 was rated at 9.6. I think the IE 800 is probably 9.4 or 9.5 based on what I've read.

 

But then again, IE 800 is about triple the price of FX700. Since, I'm already 90% satisfied with FX700's sound signature, I'm not dishing out triple the price of FX700 just for sound signature. Of course, I expect a slightly better sound quality/presentation as well.

 

and James, when you mentioned that AKGs impressed you right out of the box, and for IE 800, they didn't. Is the fit issues, the sibilance, etc that made the IE 800 not very impressive? Or it's the sound quality as well?

You didn't really criticize about the sound quality of IE 800.

 

Still waiting for your review!  biggrin.gif

 

I'd rather agree with joker's 9.3 for the FX700 than for the FI-BA-SS. In fact, he basically criticized the SS for being too transparent ("The texture and detail levels of the FADs are indeed very high and the resulting transparency is simply off the scale – even the CK10 sounds slightly veiled next to the BA-SS." and "This raises a question - is it possible that an earphone can be too detailed, too clear, and too transparent?"). Tbo, I feel that's a bit irrational, accusing a high-end phone of being too transparent, but ymmv.

 

Let's face it, the FX700 are pretty good value for those who're 90% satisfied with their sound signature, and the next 5% or so will be mercilessly subject to the law of diminishing returns.

 

Well, since you've been following the thread, it's no secret that I think the IE800's design is a case of missed opportunities, and I have much less of an issue with their sound quality than the former. However, you can't just look at one and disregard the other... here are some reasons why:

 

- Downward only cable design, pretty high microphonics and lack of an included shirt clip would make you think the IE800 are intended for stationary (home) use

- But sound signature is too bassy for a high-end home rig (by my standards) and much better suited for outdoor use

- A deeper fit will give you clearer and more transparent sound than a shallow fit (though at the risk of increased sibilance)

- However, you can't get a deeper fit with cable downward, due to the unfortunate design of their strain reliefs.

 

The K3003 impressed me right out of the box with both their design and sound quality. The IE800 are more like a love/hate affair for me, with decidedly more love for their sound than their design.

 

I'll have some of my loaners back before next weekend and hopefully find the time to post A/B impressions to the K3003 and EX1000. No promises for a full review, I'm afraid, anytime soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

I sure hope that Jaben in HK has these in stock. If so, I will hear them Monday.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

If you do, please share your impressions. Thanks

 

X2, looking forward to turn this into a discussion rather than a monologue. wink.gif


Edited by james444 - 12/5/12 at 5:10am
post #606 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

I'd rather agree with joker's 9.3 for the FX700 than for the FI-BA-SS. In fact, he basically criticized the SS for being too transparent ("The texture and detail levels of the FADs are indeed very high and the resulting transparency is simply off the scale – even the CK10 sounds slightly veiled next to the BA-SS." and "This raises a question - is it possible that an earphone can be too detailed, too clear, and too transparent?"). Tbo, I feel that's a bit irrational, accusing a high-end phone for being too transparent, but ymmv.

 

Let's face it, the FX700 are pretty good value for those who're 90% satisfied with their sound signature, and the next 5% or so will be mercilessly subject to the law of diminishing returns.

 

Well, since you've been following the thread, it's no secret that I think the IE800's design is a case of missed opportunities, and I have much less of an issue with their sound quality than the former. However, you can't just look at one and disregard the other... here are some reasons why:

 

- Downward only cable design, pretty high microphonics and lack of an included shirt clip would make you think the IE800 are intended for stationary (home) use

- But sound signature is too bassy for a high-end home rig (by my standards) and much better suited for outdoor use

- A deeper fit will give you clearer and more transparent sound than a shallow fit (though at the risk of increased sibilance)

- However, you can't get a deeper fit with cable downward, due to the unfortunate design of their strain reliefs.

 

The K3003 impressed me right out of the box with both their design and sound quality. The IE800 are more like a love/hate affair for me, with decidedly more love for their sound than their design.

 

I'll have some of my loaners back before next weekend and hopefully find the time to post A/B impressions to the K3003 and EX1000. No promises for a full review, I'm afraid, anytime soon.

 

Thanks for the info. Yes, I was bit skeptical about the rating for FI-BA-SS.

 

I prefer wearing downwards since I've been wearing IEM's like that for years now. I tried to wear FX700 around ear. I wear the left one right and right one left because the angle of the nozzle. Sounds the same to be though. Am I missing something? And isn't AKG supposed to be worn downward as well? or around ear as well?

and I like the bassy part of IE 800. wink.gif I'm used to the FX700 now.

 

I'm not sure about others, but I'm not looking toward a full review.

Just some A/B with IE 800, K3003, and FX700 for the bass/treble quantity/quality, soundstage, 3D.

I think another user asked for the comparison between EX1000.

 

IE 800 can be purchased from AccessoryJack for $730 and AKG K3003 can be purchased from World Wide Stereos for $1100.

Pretty big price difference. I'm leaning towards IE 800, but I just want to know how it compares to K3003 while disregarding the price.

post #607 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Back when I borrowed a JH13 demo unit for a week, I A/Bed it to my own IEMs. The FX700 where the only dynamic driver based IEMs that had similar treble resolution. I don't EQ them, and of course mids and bass are not quite as good, but I don't think they miss out that much detail as your post would suggest.

 

 

I'm not how sure they'd fair against the JH13 but for sure the FX700s have one of the most detailed trebles out there. I mean very detailed so I really don't see where he is coming from either. I mean I'm sure the UE900 is good. But man the TF10s just don't compare at all to the detail/resolution you get on the FX700. It just makes the TF10s sound so artificial and hollow. Now if the UE900 is suppose to be in the range of the TF10 then I just don't see its appeal. Just my .02 cents.

post #608 of 2141

I respect joker's reviews as much as anybody else around here, but disagree on some of his scores. To me the FIBASS are on another league compared to W4, yet W4 has a higher score. Same with EX1000.


Edited by tumburu - 12/5/12 at 1:58am
post #609 of 2141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

Yeah, I don't know what Ultrazino is hearing. Judging from the words he used, it's seems pretty subjective and exaggerated. Maybe his pair were defective. Whatever.

We should keep the discussion related to IE 800. 

 

Yes, it's not about the FX700. It's about you paying too much attention to review scores.

 

BTW, I've had James' FX700 here and I had two pairs of my own (still have one). I did A/B comparisons with W4, UE900, Heir 4.Ai, FA-3E, SE535, TF10, JH5, UE4 pro and some more.

The FX700 is a personal favorite of mine for over one year, but technically it cannot match multi-BAs. JVC's dynamic transducer moves too slow! This is trying to be as objective as a German can be. :P

 

Personally, I argue that the decay sounds realistic, but actually it's not. Decay is already on the recording so there's no need for an IEM to add decay to decay, so no, the JVC does not deserve a 9.3! Thrash Metal is really a problem, because then it gets really muddy - even worse without EQ and bloated bass. It's fun - but it's wrong. Yes, Joker can argue that he likes the sound just like me, but still the score has no meaning. So I don't get why you want to know Joker's review score of the IE800?!

 

Anyway, I think I made my point. It's my birthday, so I will find something better to do now. Have a nice day and enjoy your music! :)

Cheers!

post #610 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I'm not how sure they'd fair against the JH13 but for sure the FX700s have one of the most detailed trebles out there. I mean very detailed so I really don't see where he is coming from either. I mean I'm sure the UE900 is good. But man the TF10s just don't compare at all to the detail/resolution you get on the FX700. It just makes the TF10s sound so artificial and hollow. Now if the UE900 is suppose to be in the range of the TF10 then I just don't see its appeal. Just my .02 cents.

 

Hi, I agree with FX700 VS TF10.

But I don't get where you get your bias from UE900 from. They are nothing alike. Ue900 beats Heir 4.Ai and Westone 4 in terms of neutrality and is on par with resolution. At least that's what my ears say and ultimately they are the only ears I trust.

 

I also don't like the TF10, but I have to admit that the bass performance is nice. I fully agree on the artificial sound, though. However, this is NOT the case with the UE900.

post #611 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

 

Hi, I agree with FX700 VS TF10.

But I don't get where you get your bias from UE900 from. They are nothing alike. Ue900 beats Heir 4.Ai and Westone 4 in terms of neutrality and is on par with resolution. At least that's what my ears say and ultimately they are the only ears I trust.

 

I also don't like the TF10, but I have to admit that the bass performance is nice. I fully agree on the artificial sound, though. However, this is NOT the case with the UE900.


I disagree on the JVC sounding slow due to the transducer. In reality it is actually quite fast even when compared to BA. I do agree that BA generally are still faster but not as much as it is being made out to be. But I will agree that the bass quantity that the FX700 produces is what is giving you that slower decay. This is due to the emphasized bass covering the range and making the notes linger longer.

post #612 of 2141

Actually I equalized the bass (and treble) down by 10 dB when comparing. Hi-Hats just sound muddy in comparison, but whatever.

post #613 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

Actually I equalized the bass (and treble) down by 10 dB when comparing. Hi-Hats just sound muddy in comparison, but whatever.


A good example of what I mean is my former IE80s. After tap modding them and using silver cable they were a lot faster than previously. Music that was very busy and sounded slow before actually flowed quite well after the mod. The drivers were always fast just the mid bass was clouding everything. Note I didn't use EQ to achieve this. I haven't had much of any good results with EQ so I just stay away from it. One reason why I sold the FX700 because bass and treble are just too much on it. Only at very low listening were they neutral and I wanted more volume than that for general listening. I tried using EQ even on the EX1000 to get rid of the treble spikes. It just sounded lifeless and dull with the EQ.

post #614 of 2141

Well a review score should not consider using an EQ, mod or dragon silver cables that cost more than the product itself. So the 9.3 is rubbish when compared to W4 or UE900. That's all I wanted to say.

 

Anyway, I love my FX700 and I will keep them. But I don't consider them hifi.

post #615 of 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

Well a review score should not consider using an EQ, mod or dragon silver cables that cost more than the product itself. So the 9.3 is rubbish when compared to W4 or UE900. That's all I wanted to say.

 

Anyway, I love my FX700 and I will keep them. But I don't consider them hifi.


I still don't agree lol, but we all do hear things differently. My MDR-7550s are super neutral and I still feel the FX700s are just as detailed as them. I haven't had an opportunity to try out the W4 but from the multiple reviews and comments I've read on it I gathered I'd find them rather boring and dull so I never considered them as an option. To be honest none of these IEMs you mention may even be considered hifi to begin with (more so med-fi). More so when you move up to the higher end Custom IEMs/Universals or full size headphones do you really start getting into that territory.


Edited by lee730 - 12/5/12 at 3:41am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: