or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE800 IEM's - Page 206

post #3076 of 5934

Probably gonna snag these soon. No good deals in Canada... might buy them used. Retail in Canada is 1k and I can find them used for $400 on headfi lol

post #3077 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsan View Post

I ended up returning these today. Don't get me wrong though. It wasn't because I was not satisfied with it by any means. It was either these or the HD800s, and the latter obviously blew these out of the water. I hate to see these go, but they are truly, from a technical standpoint superior to all IEMs I've tried so far. I recommend them to absolutely anyone who wants a comfortable, stylish, and above all, amazingly clear and natural sounding IEM. I'm really, REALLY sad to see these go. I fell in love with them from my first listen. :'(

Guess I'll see you guys around. smily_headphones1.gif

Shame you couldn't keep both. I am lucky to own both but in need of an appropriate amp for the HD800 when funds permit. 

 

IE800 are superb for travelling. HD800 for home. 

 

A mate of mine has custom s535, listened to my IE800 and couldn't go back to his. I don't think they have been inserted back into his ears since. Sad moment for him, and one I wasn't expecting at all. Yes, i'd hope for a difference but not on the scale he stated. 

post #3078 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post
 

Probably gonna snag these soon. No good deals in Canada... might buy them used. Retail in Canada is 1k and I can find them used for $400 on headfi lol

Buy. Best IEM's i've heard yet. $400 is a steal. 

post #3079 of 5934

ie800 are just amazing..

 

for your hd800 the best cheap amp that i got it working at full potential and sounds great is matrix m-stage hpa2. it was one of the best i tried, but i am a solid state amping guy!

post #3080 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro83 View Post

Buy. Best IEM's i've heard yet. $400 is a steal. 

I auditioned them today, they are pretty good. A little different than my SE846. The guy was saying that newer batches have softer cables, can anyone confirm?
post #3081 of 5934
I just got a warranty replacement and the cable feels softer, but it could also be because my old ie800`s had hardened cables... Of note, the old ie800 had the same cable above and below the y-split, but on the new ones the top cable is a bit thinner, you can tell because there is now a gap between the cable and strain-relief which wasn`t there before. Both cables are however very supple and hopefully the new one`s won`t harden over time (ironically hardened below the y-split on my old ie800`s).
post #3082 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjsoo View Post

I just got a warranty replacement and the cable feels softer, but it could also be because my old ie800`s had hardened cables... Of note, the old ie800 had the same cable above and below the y-split, but on the new ones the top cable is a bit thinner, you can tell because there is now a gap between the cable and strain-relief which wasn`t there before. Both cables are however very supple and hopefully the new one`s won`t harden over time (ironically hardened below the y-split on my old ie800`s).

The IE800's cable has been impreoved by Sennheiser one or two years ago so the newer versions shouldnt get the hardening cable issue anymore. Still, the cable gets pretty stiff in winter.

post #3083 of 5934
The ie800 I recived from Amazon a few weeks ago has serial number starting with 161xx on the leather case.. Is this like really old stock?
post #3084 of 5934

Mine is 182xx and I bought it in December (from an authorized dealer who told me that it was the latest batch).

post #3085 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiChris View Post
 

Mine is 182xx and I bought it in December (from an authorized dealer who told me that it was the latest batch).


I have received warranty replacements directly from Sennheiser on both sides of 2xxxx. My most recent, as of November, is 23xxx and is very supple above and below the Y. I don't have a gap at the strain relief.  

post #3086 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

 

To me, their most striking limitation is that their small drivers don't quite sound as effortless and authoritative as e.g. the EX1000's 16mm drivers. Has nothing to do with bass tuning btw, the EX1000 are actually less bassy than the IE800, but sound more effortless and authoritative in my book.

 

Excellent observation James.....and this is relevant with so many other IEM's out there.  This probably comes more into play when you turn it up.  IE800 does NOT distort but you just sense that you are eeking out every smidgeon of power to project the sound (opposite of effortless).

 

The IE800 is so dang small.  Almost hard to take out of your ears.  Why didn't they just use a larger standard 13mm driver?  Would have solved both issues and still kept it reasonably small.

 

But don't get me wrong.  I am a HUGE fan of IE800.  It does WAY more right than wrong. 


Edited by Spyro - 3/8/15 at 3:23pm
post #3087 of 5934

Seems there is obvious difference to push ie800 with and without amplifier. Both are 16 ohm, ie800 seems harder to push than ie80.

What's best tips for ie800?

Thanks!

post #3088 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangian View Post
 

Seems there is obvious difference to push ie800 with and without amplifier. Both are 16 ohm, ie800 seems harder to push than ie80.

What's best tips for ie800?

Thanks!

ie800 has it's own tips, i don't think you can use 3rd party tips.

 

ie80 and ie800 both need the same amping. ie800 might be easyer to drive though. my ie8 need a lot of power to sound good. ie800 needed less power.

post #3089 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by skerry2006aj View Post
 

ie800 has it's own tips, i don't think you can use 3rd party tips.

 

ie80 and ie800 both need the same amping. ie800 might be easyer to drive though. my ie8 need a lot of power to sound good. ie800 needed less power.


Is it because it's new? But my ie80 is so easy to drive! It's easier than 800 and so much easier than kef m200.

post #3090 of 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangian View Post
 

Seems there is obvious difference to push ie800 with and without amplifier. Both are 16 ohm, ie800 seems harder to push than ie80.

What's best tips for ie800?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangian View Post


Is it because it's new? But my ie80 is so easy to drive! It's easier than 800 and so much easier than kef m200.

 

You have to look at impedance and sensitivity to know how easy / hard IEMs are to drive.

 

Both the IE80 and IE800 have 16 ohms impedance. However, the IE80 have 125db sensitivity and the IE800 only 103db, therefore the iE800 need more volume to sound as loud as the IE80.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: