Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What would you do? (Classifieds Related)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would you do? (Classifieds Related) - Page 3  

post #31 of 40

Glad to know that your problem is over with and you can move on. Luckily I haven't had a problem yet. If a seller cut off communication without fixing the problem, I would definitely fight it out on paypal.

post #32 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

The seller has no obligation to provide tracking or insurance. You can specify you want it, and they should provide it in that case, but it's not like an added bonus. And even with insurance, I don't think it's right to pay more for the privelege of not destroying whatever's inside. It's a shipping company, if they can't ship properly they fail at the most basic definition of their job.

 

I don't agree with the above statement. You can be held liable if the package comes damaged or "supposedly doesn't arrive at all." This is why you have to cover your ass and make sure there is at least some form of tracking, especially when you are dealing with international shipping. Also making sure the package is well packaged as you can be held liable for this in the event the item is damaged in transit. If not paypal will leave you holding the bag and will pull the funds out of your account.

 

If anything you have to specify in your add that the buyer covers shipping costs (and insurance). Generally paypal serves as a means of insurance so as long as you have tracking on the item and the item is packaged well, paypal has no reason to screw either the buyer or seller.


Edited by lee730 - 4/20/12 at 3:47am
post #33 of 40
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

Are you sure you're not associated to/with vegeta?
You made quite a few broad gleaming generalized statements. And this train of logic: Saw video > Represents true subject matter [mailmen gone wild in their natural habitat of ye ole' u.s of a] > Must post in-sensitively on a predominately American forum = Big no-no.
Yes, I'm sure the usps has it's train of problems. But do you think the run of the mill worker will risk his job by purposely mishandling packages?
Obviously you offended quite a few with your useless post. Useless because it has nothing beneficial to the OP.
By the way did you conveniently ignore my queries earlier? Please familiarize yourself with the rules of the classifieds. Hint: It's in bold letters.
You're not helping your case.

 

You seem to be under the impression I really care about what you have to say. No, I had better things to do than to rush to the classified to read it. I understand big english word make brain hurt, but let me try the soft way: I don't hate Americans. Stop trying to turn this into a xenophobe argument, it's not and we both know it. Head-Fi is not predominantly American and if it were I couldn't care less. I don't like the American delivery companies I've dealt with, and I'm not going to say otherwise to tender to your patriotic self. I didn't dislike them for being American, but for being generally incompetent, their nationality was just an unimportant detail. Btw I'm done raising your post count, so you can have the last word.

As for the USPS worker not intending to be careless, was it divine intervention that made him give the finger to the camera and throw the package? It seemed pretty intentional to me. I don't care if he's had a rough day and he's a victim of corporate America, my orders don't have to suffer because of that, and it doesn't make it the seller's issue.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post

So you order a color 55" LCD from Amazon and it arrives in four pieces because the Fedex guy was having a bad day and tossed it from his moving vehicle while wannabe YouTube directors filmed him from concealed locations.  When you call to report that the TV doesn't work so well in four pieces Amazon tells you it's the shippers fault and you're on your own.  Is that OK by you?  Cause it sure isn't Amazon's fault that it arrived busted. 

 

Amazing, while disagreeing with me you were able to say pretty much the same I did. You're right, it's not Amazon's (the seller's) fault it arrived faulty. It's the FedEx guy's fault. That's been my point this whole time.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I don't agree with the above statement. You can be held liable if the package comes damaged or "supposedly doesn't arrive at all." This is why you have to cover your ass and make sure there is at least some form of tracking, especially when you are dealing with international shipping. Also making sure the package is well packaged as you can be held liable for this in the event the item is damaged in transit. If not paypal will leave you holding the bag and will pull the funds out of your account.

 

If anything you have to specify in your add that the buyer covers shipping costs (and insurance). Generally paypal serves as a means of insurance so as long as you have tracking on the item and the item is packaged well, paypal has no reason to screw either the buyer or seller.

 

Usually I get offered tracking options and I decline with 10$ orders. Let's say my order gets lost. I wouldn't PM the seller saying he's incompetent, it's the company's fault. Most european buyers for stuff under 50$ don't use tracking AFAIK to avoid insane shipping costs. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a tracking option available, but often people decline it, and they can't complaint to the seller afterwards since it was their choice.


Edited by LizardKing1 - 4/20/12 at 4:52am
post #34 of 40

I guess if they decline the insurance then it is on them (as long as there is some form of paper trail/email). I still wouldn't risk this myself unless it was as you said "a low valued item".
 

post #35 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

Amazing, while disagreeing with me you were able to say pretty much the same I did. You're right, it's not Amazon's (the seller's) fault it arrived faulty. It's the FedEx guy's fault. That's been my point this whole time.

 

 

The issue is simply not limited to who is at specifically at fault for the damage.  The issue is who is responsible for the specific loss, solely between the two engaged in the transaction, and entirely apart from any third parties involved.  The seller is always responsible.  Always.  End of story. No debate.  That is how eCommerce and shopping by mail, as well as any FOB shipping has always been, and always should be. See the policies of the two major person-to-person eCommerce sites that I posted as an example.  Actually just find me any one doing business in the United States that doesn't engage in business that relies upon shipping their product with such a policy as you seem to advocate, and I'll show you a business that will not last very long. I cannot speak for how business is done in Europe or Asia, but I'm sure glad it is not done as you seem to advocate. So you conveniently avoided answering any questions in that response, and just continued to chum the waters.... in that scenario I described you'd be just fine with receiving a TV in pieces and being left high and dry to sort it out with the shipper who actually broke the TV by yourself?  You would not expect Amazon to take care of that and ship you a replacement or refund your purchase ASAP?  And when you pursue the claim, and the shipper refuses to pay you because, they tell you, the factory packing for the TV was not up to their standards (frequently a claim with shippers in such disputes), are you going to be satisfied with that outcome?  I'm sure no one would....at least no one I know of. 

post #36 of 40

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your specific situation, but I believe implying it was convenient is a bit insulting. I would expect Amazon to pay for the damage in the sense of I expect it to rain now because dense clouds are forming, I don't think Amazon is responsible for breaking my TV, but I expect them to pay for it. If they didn't I wouldn't be enraged at them, since it was the shipping company's worker who broke it, not them. What I meant, and acknowledge as a communication fault on my part, is that I don't think it's Amazon's fault, which I now understand has nothing to do with being responsible. I should have been more clear about that distinction.

 

Recently I made a purchase for 1.54$ for an IEM case from a Hong Kong eBay seller. It's been a month and I didn't receive it (see, he wasn't American. Anyway it's the first time a HK shipping goes astray for me). If he had asked me if I'd like to place an order for another one I would, but he offered to ship another one. I accepted, although in my head from the moment he placed the package in the mail he has done his part. According to eBay's policy he is still responsible, but personally I don't find him guilty of someone else losing my package.

 

Hope I cleared that up and we can move on. I'm interested in knowing how this particular event will turn up.

post #37 of 40
Thread Starter 

Hey Lizard -  Yeah I really don't blame the seller for the damage, just the fact that he stopped communication was not really responsible IMO.  It could have been worse, such as if I never got the item but luckily he is not that kind of person. If you read back in my post #30 I also gave an update on the status of the situation.  Basically I got fed up with the thought of it all and sold the headphones -  thankfully with only a few bucks lost and 1 month later. They sound amazing but the fact that all this crap happened to me and I have a terrible OCD when it comes to these things just frustrated me to such a large degree, it's better they leave my hands LOL.


Edited by Mr.Sneis - 4/20/12 at 10:45am
post #38 of 40

@LizardKing1

 

I'm going to move on considering the OP has already sold off his pair of ad2000, and successfully settled the problem.

 

 

"You seem to be under the impression I really care about what you have to say."

 

You obviously have a hard time pin-pointing what I'm saying. And I don't personally blame you for that, as the fine nuances of language is a tricky thing.

But once again, you're views are flawed plain and simple. I would be happy to pick apart each and every single tantalizing statement you have made.

 

There's no use for defense. You have lost all respect from me and others with certain things you can't take back.

I never said you hate Americans. You insinuated that. Nowhere did I make a direct reference whatsoever.

 

"Generally incompetent"? You're just demonstrating your hypocrisy even more with the generalization. Have you been to the U.S? Seen them at work? Lived here? Or are you just basing that claim off of a video? Yes. A Video. That shows so much. Pathetic.

 

Patriotic self? Why thank you, I always considered myself patriotic. After all, I have served my country. Can you say the same?

 

By the way, I love this statement : "Head-Fi is not predominantly American and if it were I couldn't care less."

Way to contradict yourself and sound incoherent. You just said Head-Fi is not predominantly american, then negated that yourself with the " if it were".

 

This is sad. Period. It is your own problem for not reading the rules of the forum, and attempting to post on this thread with that ignorance.

post #39 of 40

Lol

post #40 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post

 

 

The issue is simply not limited to who is at specifically at fault for the damage.  The issue is who is responsible for the specific loss, solely between the two engaged in the transaction, and entirely apart from any third parties involved.  The seller is always responsible.  Always.  End of story. No debate.  That is how eCommerce and shopping by mail, as well as any FOB shipping has always been, and always should be. See the policies of the two major person-to-person eCommerce sites that I posted as an example.  Actually just find me any one doing business in the United States that doesn't engage in business that relies upon shipping their product with such a policy as you seem to advocate, and I'll show you a business that will not last very long. I cannot speak for how business is done in Europe or Asia, but I'm sure glad it is not done as you seem to advocate. So you conveniently avoided answering any questions in that response, and just continued to chum the waters.... in that scenario I described you'd be just fine with receiving a TV in pieces and being left high and dry to sort it out with the shipper who actually broke the TV by yourself?  You would not expect Amazon to take care of that and ship you a replacement or refund your purchase ASAP?  And when you pursue the claim, and the shipper refuses to pay you because, they tell you, the factory packing for the TV was not up to their standards (frequently a claim with shippers in such disputes), are you going to be satisfied with that outcome?  I'm sure no one would....at least no one I know of. 

 


He conveniently changed/ misconstrued the point you were trying to make.

Even though you were talking about liability and responsibility, it's apparently twisted to support his argument that the seller isn't at fault at all.

And it comes as no surprise that he's conveniently ignoring all the questions directed at him.

 

It's absolutely demoralizing how some people won't admit the error of their ways, bristling like it's a personal insult, when they're clearly wrong in some fashion.

 

Edit: I forgot to add. Should you even be posting on here lizard? When you don't even have any feedback whatsoever on the fs forums.

 

 


Edited by Sil3nce - 4/20/12 at 11:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What would you do? (Classifieds Related)