Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Owner of AH-D5000 needing some help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Owner of AH-D5000 needing some help

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I just bought and ah-d5000. I need some suggestions for the following:

 

1. Good case. Am surprised that for the price it did not come with a case:(

 

2. Good amp. Am currently using a portable e7. I am wondering what better amp i can use for it. budget is 200 bucks nothing more.

 

3. Any customization to make d5000 even better. I heard about lawton audio. Is it worth it? At least level 1? how about the beyerdynamic head band?

 

Thanks guys!

post #2 of 13

1. Beyer make a great semi soft case that fits perfectly for my denon's. I think that bhphoto and sweetwater carry it.

 

2. The d5k does not need a lot of amp. Just quality. My denon runs nice with the diminutive fiio e10. I you must spend more, I really like the audio gd products. The nfb-12 is just in your budget but you would have to kick in the shipping. There are lots of amps out there and people tend to have the own personal favorites. Look at the used forum here for a better deal.

 

3. You might consider some after market pads but really I wouldn't get crazy with mods yet. Keep them for a six months or a year and then revisit that idea. You might want to sell them six months from now for something newer/better and they'll be much easier to sell without the mods.

 

 

good luck!!

 

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

1. Beyer make a great semi soft case that fits perfectly for my denon's. I think that bhphoto and sweetwater carry it.

 

2. The d5k does not need a lot of amp. Just quality. My denon runs nice with the diminutive fiio e10. I you must spend more, I really like the audio gd products. The nfb-12 is just in your budget but you would have to kick in the shipping. There are lots of amps out there and people tend to have the own personal favorites. Look at the used forum here for a better deal.

 

3. You might consider some after market pads but really I wouldn't get crazy with mods yet. Keep them for a six months or a year and then revisit that idea. You might want to sell them six months from now for something newer/better and they'll be much easier to sell without the mods.

 

 

good luck!!

 



Thanks for your great answer.

 

do you think hippocase is better than beyer? am leaning towards hippocase for the simple reason that it seems more durable and it has more padding.

post #4 of 13

Yea, that's a great case. No problem with that choice

 

 

thanks...

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by qohelet View Post

I just bought and ah-d5000. I need some suggestions for the following:

 

1. Good case. Am surprised that for the price it did not come with a case:(

 

2. Good amp. Am currently using a portable e7. I am wondering what better amp i can use for it. budget is 200 bucks nothing more.

 

3. Any customization to make d5000 even better. I heard about lawton audio. Is it worth it? At least level 1? how about the beyerdynamic head band?

 

Thanks guys!

 

I use pelican cases for my headphones. Great protection and extra room for your source, cables, etc. Size you'll want will depend on your own wants and needs.

 

The E7 will do you just fine. If you want to upgrade I suggest the E11 or E17. I say the E11 because it's cheap, relatively small and just a good portable amp.
 

 

post #6 of 13

I am interested in this as well; would the large Hippocase be required (for Denon D2000s)

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider469 View Post

 

I use pelican cases for my headphones. Great protection and extra room for your source, cables, etc. Size you'll want will depend on your own wants and needs.

 

The E7 will do you just fine. If you want to upgrade I suggest the E11 or E17. I say the E11 because it's cheap, relatively small and just a good portable amp.
 

 



how about e7 and e9 combo?

 

what's the size of your pelican? is it too bulky? i heard that lcd-2 travel case is also good. i hope you can post a picture... i wanna see...:)

post #8 of 13

My Pelican case is the iM2050

 

524  524 524

                      My setup                       I recessed a small square for            The case is about 5" thick

                                                                 a better fit

 234234

            The foam on the headband is not

       original...so much more comfortable now

 

 

As for the E7&E9 combo, I don't think you'd really benefit from it. You're still using the E7 as the DAC but just getting a bigger amp. The E9 can power headphones above 300ohms, way above what you need. I say stick with what you got, save that money for something later,otherwise just go and get the E17.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

I am interested in this as well; would the large Hippocase be required (for Denon D2000s)


If you prefer the hippocase, the large one would be it. It's 60 bucks.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

1. Beyer make a great semi soft case that fits perfectly for my denon's. I think that bhphoto and sweetwater carry it.

 

2. The d5k does not need a lot of amp. Just quality. My denon runs nice with the diminutive fiio e10. I you must spend more, I really like the audio gd products. The nfb-12 is just in your budget but you would have to kick in the shipping. There are lots of amps out there and people tend to have the own personal favorites. Look at the used forum here for a better deal.

 

3. You might consider some after market pads but really I wouldn't get crazy with mods yet. Keep them for a six months or a year and then revisit that idea. You might want to sell them six months from now for something newer/better and they'll be much easier to sell without the mods.

 

 

good luck!!

 


D'you know which case in particular you used? I'm looking for one as well

 

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by qohelet View Post

I just bought and ah-d5000. I need some suggestions for the following:

 

1. Good case. Am surprised that for the price it did not come with a case:(

 

2. Good amp. Am currently using a portable e7. I am wondering what better amp i can use for it. budget is 200 bucks nothing more.

 

3. Any customization to make d5000 even better. I heard about lawton audio. Is it worth it? At least level 1? how about the beyerdynamic head band?

 

Thanks guys!


1. I have two cases.

  • The first I use when I have to transport my DT 770, HD 600, D7000. This case is somewhat hard (I can stack lightweight objects on it), but you don't want to throw it around. There isn't a ton of room for where the cable attaches to the earcups, but it doesn't look like it stresses that attachment either. I bought mine a while ago, but this is similar to what I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-Case-Beyerdynamic-DT-770-880-990-DT880-/251039523916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a731f244c

 

2. I use my FiioE9 with my D7000's and I've read that they pair real well together. I don't have much to compare it too, but I like the sound for what the amp costs. I've been reading up quite a bit on the Little Dot I+ hybrid amp, as it is designed for low impedance cans. I might try this out, or simply stick with the E9.

 

3. Have fun with the stock D5000 for a while. If you find that you are missing something, then look into upgrades (ie. if you find the headband uncomfortable, then look for alternatives).

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmohammed43 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

1. Beyer make a great semi soft case that fits perfectly for my denon's. I think that bhphoto and sweetwater carry it.

 

2. The d5k does not need a lot of amp. Just quality. My denon runs nice with the diminutive fiio e10. I you must spend more, I really like the audio gd products. The nfb-12 is just in your budget but you would have to kick in the shipping. There are lots of amps out there and people tend to have the own personal favorites. Look at the used forum here for a better deal.

 

3. You might consider some after market pads but really I wouldn't get crazy with mods yet. Keep them for a six months or a year and then revisit that idea. You might want to sell them six months from now for something newer/better and they'll be much easier to sell without the mods.

 

 

good luck!!

 


D'you know which case in particular you used? I'm looking for one as well

 


I just bought a hippocase a couple of days ago from jaben. I'll be making a mini review once i get it:)
post #13 of 13

The affordable Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp works well with the D5000 & 7000.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Owner of AH-D5000 needing some help