Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500 Review and Shoot out. - Page 56

post #826 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico88 View Post
 

I did that mod.

It simply looks sublime. One of your best works thus far!

post #827 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico88 View Post
 

I did that mod.

Wonderful work! That looks amazing.

post #828 of 846

+1 ... that looks awesome! Care to share the process?

post #829 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico88 View Post
 

I did that mod.

Nice work!  Do you do mods for others?  

post #830 of 846

I am considering trying the HE-500, but my concern is I will be moving sideways as my D7000s are quite nice. Has anybody owned these two headphones with enough time to offer a comparison? Hopefully having owned them close together or at the same time. I love my 7000s, but I also really like trying new sound signatures. Where do you HE-500 lovers think I will gain with the 500 over the 7000, and what might I be giving up? My other concern is that my Auditor supplies plenty of voltage, it is a voltage swing monster, but with my DT880 600ohm (now gone and in Hawaii) I found the need to turn the amp up to 3 oclock often to get enough volume. I see that the HE-500 isn't very efficient as compared to dynamic cans, but will the lower ohm rating make a difference? I remember reading that the sensitivity of the headphone is more important in determining how easily it can be driven, more important than the resistance. Thoughts are quite welcome.

post #831 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post

I am considering trying the HE-500, but my concern is I will be moving sideways as my D7000s are quite nice. Has anybody owned these two headphones with enough time to offer a comparison? Hopefully having owned them close together or at the same time. I love my 7000s, but I also really like trying new sound signatures. Where do you HE-500 lovers think I will gain with the 500 over the 7000, and what might I be giving up? My other concern is that my Auditor supplies plenty of voltage, it is a voltage swing monster, but with my DT880 600ohm (now gone and in Hawaii) I found the need to turn the amp up to 3 oclock often to get enough volume. I see that the HE-500 isn't very efficient as compared to dynamic cans, but will the lower ohm rating make a difference? I remember reading that the sensitivity of the headphone is more important in determining how easily it can be driven, more important than the resistance. Thoughts are quite welcome.

Hi mate,

You're comparing Denon AH-D 7000 worth $1000 with the Hifi man HE-500 for approximately $699 ?
both cans are in the different league on its own I guess.

So far my experience with HE-500 is excellent, I can listen to more details in the live music recordings, instrument separations and also good bass punch.

I'm using it to listen to Rock & Metal music mostly, with just a couple of New age & Orchestra composition for easy listening.

if I were you, I'd aim higher with STAX of an upgrade as oppose to HE-500 which sounds like a downgrade to me. Unless.... someone can give different opinion :-)
post #832 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico88 View Post

HE-500 woody cup






it looks like Audeze to me :-)
very cool indeed.

Does it makes any different sonic signature or sound quality ?
post #833 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

I am considering trying the HE-500, but my concern is I will be moving sideways as my D7000s are quite nice. Has anybody owned these two headphones with enough time to offer a comparison? Hopefully having owned them close together or at the same time. I love my 7000s, but I also really like trying new sound signatures. Where do you HE-500 lovers think I will gain with the 500 over the 7000, and what might I be giving up? My other concern is that my Auditor supplies plenty of voltage, it is a voltage swing monster, but with my DT880 600ohm (now gone and in Hawaii) I found the need to turn the amp up to 3 oclock often to get enough volume. I see that the HE-500 isn't very efficient as compared to dynamic cans, but will the lower ohm rating make a difference? I remember reading that the sensitivity of the headphone is more important in determining how easily it can be driven, more important than the resistance. Thoughts are quite welcome.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 2:52am
post #834 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 


I run the th-600 and he-500 together on my tranquility dac and rudistor rpx-35 and highly recommend that combo. My rpx-35 is dual mono though and I run the he-500 out the high gain and the th-600 out of the low. I would say the difference between the 2 outputs is about 2 hours on the clock. If you run the d7k at noon then you should have no problem running the he-500 at 2 o'clock. I'm sorry but have no exp. with the dt880.

 

Personally I think you should keep both. I think that they make great compliments to each other. The he-500 has smoother mids and slightly less harsh treble but I love that th-600 and d7k bass.  The he-500 has the best treble out of many other 1k headphones. I would say that is biggest selling point. It's just spot on perfect to me.

 

Second it's the best all arounder out of many 1k headphones. The d7k is good with it's fun presentation. As a matter of fact after owning both the d7k and th-600 for quite sometime now I think that the d7k's "fun" might actually trump the th-600's more neutral presentation. The longer I have owned the th-600, the more genres I eventually put through it the more I come to the conclusion that this headphone really thrives in particular on electronic. Still I think the d7k gets bested here as well by the he-500.

 

Third I think you are picking a bad time to sell your d7k's. 600's and 900's are really cheap right now and I haven't seen anyone saying that the discount is going to be permanent. While you may have gotten a pretty penny a year ago for your d7k's I don't think you are looking at more than a few hundred, maybe $500, for your d7k's right now depending on condition, box, etc.


I have had two offers for $800 for my D7000 already. There are a number of people who realize that it is quite a special headphone. Mine were from the final year of production and they are pristine in every way. I wish I could keep both, but allocating that kind of money to a hobby is just not something I can do and remain married. Thanks for your extensive input, I really appreciate the thoughtful reply. Are you sure the TH-900 is cheap right now? I haven't seen it below $1300 as of yet. Cheers.

post #835 of 846

will my hifim8 be sufficient in running the he 500 even if i havent got around to getting balanced cables quite yet?

post #836 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 


I run the th-600 and he-500 together on my tranquility dac and rudistor rpx-35 and highly recommend that combo. My rpx-35 is dual mono though and I run the he-500 out the high gain and the th-600 out of the low. I would say the difference between the 2 outputs is about 2 hours on the clock. If you run the d7k at noon then you should have no problem running the he-500 at 2 o'clock. I'm sorry but have no exp. with the dt880.

 

Personally I think you should keep both. I think that they make great compliments to each other. The he-500 has smoother mids and slightly less harsh treble but I love that th-600 and d7k bass.  The he-500 has the best treble out of many other 1k headphones. I would say that is biggest selling point. It's just spot on perfect to me.

 

Second it's the best all arounder out of many 1k headphones. The d7k is good with it's fun presentation. As a matter of fact after owning both the d7k and th-600 for quite sometime now I think that the d7k's "fun" might actually trump the th-600's more neutral presentation. The longer I have owned the th-600, the more genres I eventually put through it the more I come to the conclusion that this headphone really thrives in particular on electronic. Still I think the d7k gets bested here as well by the he-500.

 

Third I think you are picking a bad time to sell your d7k's. 600's and 900's are really cheap right now and I haven't seen anyone saying that the discount is going to be permanent. While you may have gotten a pretty penny a year ago for your d7k's I don't think you are looking at more than a few hundred, maybe $500, for your d7k's right now depending on condition, box, etc.

 

 

Just as an update, I sold my 7000s for $800US and there was at least three ready to pay members so I am unclear where your information on the value of the D7000s was coming from. Regardless, all is good and for a time I am out of headphones and concentrating on my speaker based music listening. I intend to return in about 6 months to headphone use with likely a TH-900, or perhaps an HE-6.

post #837 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

 

 

Just as an update, I sold my 7000s for $800US and there was at least three ready to pay members so I am unclear where your information on the value of the D7000s was coming from. Regardless, all is good and for a time I am out of headphones and concentrating on my speaker based music listening. I intend to return in about 6 months to headphone use with likely a TH-900, or perhaps an HE-6.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 1:21am
post #838 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 


I forgot about the rarer more preferable 2012 ver. Those you can get a pretty penny for. My information came from the th-600 being $750 and the th-900 down to $1500. At least to me I would have to figure the d7k's price would drop in line with the th-series since most people consider them to be more preferable. Back when the 600 was $1300 and the 900 $2200 an $800 d7k was still a great deal, now not so much imo. The 2012 ver. is a different story though and my bad for forgetting.


No worries there, I didn't take offense as I am sure you weren't trying to be offensive at all. The general feeling that I have been able to deduce with regards to the D7000 versus the TH-600/900 issue is that even at $1500 new and about $1300 used for a TH-900, at $800 a person saves anywhere from $500-700, which is considerable. There seems to be a consensus that the D7000 brings a significant percentage of the sound quality of the TH-900, and is at least the equal of, if not the better of the TH-600. I came across some former 7000 owners who sold them only to realise that they had made a mistake and the extra scratch for the TH-900 was difficult to justify, certainly at the original price of $2000. All I can say is that based on my experience with the D7000 it strikes me as well worth the $800 and I expect the point of diminishing returns to progress steadily after spending almost double for a TH-900. Cheers.

post #839 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


No worries there, I didn't take offense as I am sure you weren't trying to be offensive at all. The general feeling that I have been able to deduce with regards to the D7000 versus the TH-600/900 issue is that even at $1500 new and about $1300 used for a TH-900, at $800 a person saves anywhere from $500-700, which is considerable. There seems to be a consensus that the D7000 brings a significant percentage of the sound quality of the TH-900, and is at least the equal of, if not the better of the TH-600. I came across some former 7000 owners who sold them only to realise that they had made a mistake and the extra scratch for the TH-900 was difficult to justify, certainly at the original price of $2000. All I can say is that based on my experience with the D7000 it strikes me as well worth the $800 and I expect the point of diminishing returns to progress steadily after spending almost double for a TH-900. Cheers.

The TH-600 is at least the equal and probably better than the D7000. That's the consensus around here.

post #840 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

The TH-600 is at least the equal and probably better than the D7000. That's the consensus around here.


Well as they say opinions vary. I myself can't speak from firsthand experience, but simply based on the extensive reading in the forums. Regardless, they are both excellent headphones and I am quite sure for some the D7000 is their flavour, and for others it will be the TH-600. No right or wrong answer, just personal preference. Cheers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500 Review and Shoot out.