Okay thanks for the insight :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productGrado Reference RS2 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 4/18/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 4/18/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 4/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones that play great WITHOUT expensive audio system Last post on 6/23/13 at 8:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones+DAC setup 2000USD Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions Last post on Today at 1:46 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone + AMP and DAC for Metal and Electronic Last post on 12/1/12 at 7:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
HE-500 Review and Shoot out. - Page 49post #721 of 8466/4/13 at 12:11pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #722 of 8466/4/13 at 2:06pm
I've been trying to figure this out too. I can say that I can't really tell the difference between the O2/ODAC and the ASUS Essence One with my HE500s. However, I don't have the WAU16-1000 or WAU16-2400 wall wart for the O2/ODAC.post #723 of 8466/6/13 at 5:14pm
Really if you are going to get the HE-500, you got to budget for another 500 bucks for an amp. And a little cheaper if you want a DAC.
The cost of both my amp and DAC alone were more than the headphones themselves.
O2 amp just doesn't have the power to drive them. Then again I sort of swear by tube amps.
Maybe you can budget for cheaper, but I think the Lyr is a great bang for the buck and pairs very nicely with these cans.post #724 of 8466/6/13 at 10:07pmpost #725 of 8466/7/13 at 5:07amQuote:
I found that out myself also..and now upgraditus really got me...and my wallet is bleeding more then u can imagine..but that new amp someone is building me will be out of this world and one of a kind and specificly built to drive a he6 (my phone for next year).
.its completely basic..built to only give best sound quality no flashy lights,switches or displays (amp will have dac included also)..no on-off switch, only 1 input (usb), only two outputs in front (dual 3pin xlr & 1/4), transformer will be in seperate housing to make room for the 5watts into 50ohm which is connected to the main housing by 4 pin xlr...in front only 1 knob (for volume..black oak).. It will be my endgame amp...if my wife knew how much i spent on this amp i would be talking with a high pitched voice for the rest of my life
Oops...just wanted to make a point that i started out last year with a humble matrix mstage and a he300! And now see what happened..a life threatening situation headfi-itus is so deadly
So i beg u..stay with ur o2 and ur he300.... If u go up the audio ladder..u will only find pain and misery
Or am i missing the point? Is it really possible that spending a lot of money on ur rig could give u a smile u take with u until u die? Mmmmmmm hard dilema..
Edited by hifimanrookie - 6/7/13 at 5:12ampost #726 of 8466/7/13 at 7:28ampost #727 of 8466/7/13 at 1:35pmQuote:
Yup - it's on sale now for $189. A steal..post #728 of 8466/7/13 at 11:14pmpost #729 of 8466/8/13 at 1:14ampost #730 of 8466/8/13 at 9:29ampost #731 of 8466/8/13 at 6:38pmpost #732 of 8466/8/13 at 9:23pmQuote:
I'll be interested to hear your impressions.post #733 of 8466/8/13 at 9:42pmpost #734 of 8466/8/13 at 10:34pmQuote:
I have both the Lyr and Magni (no Modi though). The HE-500 retains the same character and tonality with both amps. However, the Lyr has obvious improvements to soundstage imaging/separation and bass performance. With the Magni I felt as though all the individual components of a song were massed into one with little to no separation. It was very difficult to differentiate locations of individual instruments or sounds. The Lyr was a huge improvement in this regard; immediately I noticed that each instrument seemed physically separated from the others making it very easy to pick out a single one and follow it through the track. Directional imaging improved greatly, especially the center stage, which was all but nonexistent with the Magni. Bass performance was also greatly improved, giving the HE-500 that visceral punch that the Magni just wasn't able to provide. And you can't forget the smooth tube sound the Lyr brings to the table, added to the HE-500's already silky character, it just makes it wonderfully musical without sacrificing any detail. Lyr is an improvement in every regard over the Magni. IMO, of course. Whether it's worth the extra $$, that's for you to decide.post #735 of 8466/8/13 at 10:58pmThat's quite a difference. The most important to me with everything you describe would be imaging and separation of instrument. I might have to stick with the he500 with the magni and modi until I have enough to buy the lyr. I just hope that it would sound good enough for me to judge it against the he400 to make a sound decision if I like them more. this is getting tricky for me. Boo!
Thanks for the input at least I know what I'm up against.
- HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos,... 19 seconds ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 1 minute ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 1 minute ago
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 3 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 5 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...