Okay thanks for the insight :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productGrado Reference RS2 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 4/18/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 4/18/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 4/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones that play great WITHOUT expensive audio system Last post on 6/23/13 at 8:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones+DAC setup 2000USD Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone + AMP and DAC for Metal and Electronic Last post on 12/1/12 at 7:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Disclaimer: This unit was part of a tour held by Justin at Headamp.com. As the second in the tour to hear these headphones, it likely was not properly burnt in. I thank Justin for giving me the...
Bought them today for 20€ to use them till i get the bose mie2i and try out how this type of headphone would be like. the sound is okay to watch dvds on you notebook but just muddy if you want...
HE-500 Review and Shoot out. - Page 49post #721 of 8466/4/13 at 12:11pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #722 of 8466/4/13 at 2:06pm
I've been trying to figure this out too. I can say that I can't really tell the difference between the O2/ODAC and the ASUS Essence One with my HE500s. However, I don't have the WAU16-1000 or WAU16-2400 wall wart for the O2/ODAC.post #723 of 8466/6/13 at 5:14pm
Really if you are going to get the HE-500, you got to budget for another 500 bucks for an amp. And a little cheaper if you want a DAC.
The cost of both my amp and DAC alone were more than the headphones themselves.
O2 amp just doesn't have the power to drive them. Then again I sort of swear by tube amps.
Maybe you can budget for cheaper, but I think the Lyr is a great bang for the buck and pairs very nicely with these cans.post #724 of 8466/6/13 at 10:07pmpost #725 of 8466/7/13 at 5:07amQuote:
I found that out myself also..and now upgraditus really got me...and my wallet is bleeding more then u can imagine..but that new amp someone is building me will be out of this world and one of a kind and specificly built to drive a he6 (my phone for next year).
.its completely basic..built to only give best sound quality no flashy lights,switches or displays (amp will have dac included also)..no on-off switch, only 1 input (usb), only two outputs in front (dual 3pin xlr & 1/4), transformer will be in seperate housing to make room for the 5watts into 50ohm which is connected to the main housing by 4 pin xlr...in front only 1 knob (for volume..black oak).. It will be my endgame amp...if my wife knew how much i spent on this amp i would be talking with a high pitched voice for the rest of my life
Oops...just wanted to make a point that i started out last year with a humble matrix mstage and a he300! And now see what happened..a life threatening situation headfi-itus is so deadly
So i beg u..stay with ur o2 and ur he300.... If u go up the audio ladder..u will only find pain and misery
Or am i missing the point? Is it really possible that spending a lot of money on ur rig could give u a smile u take with u until u die? Mmmmmmm hard dilema..
Edited by hifimanrookie - 6/7/13 at 5:12ampost #726 of 8466/7/13 at 7:28amFor under $200 you can get an amp that will take the bass and soundstage to another level for the 500s. It would require a speaker taps cable to XLR.post #727 of 8466/7/13 at 1:35pmQuote:
Yup - it's on sale now for $189. A steal..post #728 of 8466/7/13 at 11:14pmpost #729 of 8466/8/13 at 1:14ampost #730 of 8466/8/13 at 9:29ampost #731 of 8466/8/13 at 6:38pmpost #732 of 8466/8/13 at 9:23pmQuote:
I'll be interested to hear your impressions.post #733 of 8466/8/13 at 9:42pmpost #734 of 8466/8/13 at 10:34pmQuote:
I have both the Lyr and Magni (no Modi though). The HE-500 retains the same character and tonality with both amps. However, the Lyr has obvious improvements to soundstage imaging/separation and bass performance. With the Magni I felt as though all the individual components of a song were massed into one with little to no separation. It was very difficult to differentiate locations of individual instruments or sounds. The Lyr was a huge improvement in this regard; immediately I noticed that each instrument seemed physically separated from the others making it very easy to pick out a single one and follow it through the track. Directional imaging improved greatly, especially the center stage, which was all but nonexistent with the Magni. Bass performance was also greatly improved, giving the HE-500 that visceral punch that the Magni just wasn't able to provide. And you can't forget the smooth tube sound the Lyr brings to the table, added to the HE-500's already silky character, it just makes it wonderfully musical without sacrificing any detail. Lyr is an improvement in every regard over the Magni. IMO, of course. Whether it's worth the extra $$, that's for you to decide.post #735 of 8466/8/13 at 10:58pmThat's quite a difference. The most important to me with everything you describe would be imaging and separation of instrument. I might have to stick with the he500 with the magni and modi until I have enough to buy the lyr. I just hope that it would sound good enough for me to judge it against the he400 to make a sound decision if I like them more. this is getting tricky for me. Boo!
Thanks for the input at least I know what I'm up against.
- HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › WTB: Alessandro MS2 3 minutes ago
- › How to hook up my speakers to my receiver? (with amp and switch).... 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 7 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Positional audio for new guys. 7 minutes ago
- › 2 days in Tokyo - looking for HighEnd HiFi shops 7 minutes ago
- › IEM recommandation for mobile use 7 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)