About the same for me. I have to do more listening to really tell. So if I couldn't tell right off the bat. Then it's works for me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productGrado Reference RS2 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 4/18/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 4/18/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 4/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones that play great WITHOUT expensive audio system Last post on 6/23/13 at 8:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones+DAC setup 2000USD Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone + AMP and DAC for Metal and Electronic Last post on 12/1/12 at 7:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
First off my gear is HeadRoom Micro DAC and Amp.(I don't see how people get by without the crossfeed circuit on older rock recordings) Out of the rather cheap box the high-end was brittle and harsh...
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
HE-500 Review and Shoot out. - Page 44post #646 of 8461/1/13 at 1:02pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #647 of 8461/1/13 at 1:04pmpost #648 of 8461/2/13 at 5:04amQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Check these out.
Thanks for sharing the link / information. The only immediate issue that I notice is how far down the mini XLR connector hangs with the cup mod. I do remember where other members were asking for an angled XLR connection, similar to what is used on the Audeze (recent versions.) However, the options on the linked site are truly a way create a custom HifiMAN that is somewhat unique. Nice.
However, when I see the Fostex / Paradox offerings, I cringe when their price gets up above $600.00. While I like the Fostex modified headphones, I don't like them that much where I'd spend that kind of dough on them. Tweaking and applying mods to them is nice, but there are so many more headphones I'd rather have when it comes to listening enjoyment.post #649 of 8461/10/13 at 2:16ampost #650 of 8461/11/13 at 8:52pmQuote:
Those are He-6. and they are mines, all mines. :-)post #651 of 8461/12/13 at 2:44ampost #652 of 8461/12/13 at 8:38am
So I may be crazy, but during burn in did anyone's HE500 get brighter, I ran the cans over night on pink noise, and I almost swear they are bit more shouty/edgy today then yesterday, could be in my head, just thought I would pick others brains.post #653 of 8461/12/13 at 9:02am
That strange, just the opposite i find my HE500 out of the box is very bright, the treble is pretty forward reminds me a lot of DT880/600 ohm but not as forward as the mids (vocal), and the bass is good but not to tight though. After 2-3 days of use (normal use no weird noise used) the sound becomes more balanced, the treble is began to take a step back and began to sound more natural, the mids starting to open up, and the bass start to tighten up and start to extends deep
Now my HE-500 is the most balance sounding headphone in my listpost #654 of 8461/12/13 at 9:19am
It could be in my head, they were anything but bright to me out of the box, so smooth I actually didn't like the sound for about 30 min while I adjusted, but I am coming from a Magnum/Grado tonal balance.post #655 of 8461/18/13 at 10:14am
Quick question for anyone that is using just the Lyr and the HE-500, how far is your volume knob?
Mine is about in the 1pm-2pm range, is that normal? Quieter recordings I do turn it up a bit more. I just want to make sure I don't have a faulty Lyr.post #656 of 8461/18/13 at 10:39amQuote:
I think I'm closer to 10-11 o'clock, but I'll have to wait until I get home from work to double check. Could just be the difference in the level of our respective inputspost #657 of 8461/18/13 at 11:04ampost #658 of 8461/18/13 at 11:41amQuote:
I installed foobar2000 because I kept hearing about it. I have to admit it is very modular. But I couldn't use it for ONE reason : you can class the files by date created. So when im downloading new music on 1 big folder, I cannot listen to the latest easily. NB: its really date created that works, and not date modified or added, because these 2 get written when importing files so are not reliable.
Edited by musiclife - 1/19/13 at 3:16pmpost #659 of 8461/18/13 at 11:56ampost #660 of 8461/18/13 at 12:21pmThread Starter
- HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 1 minute ago
- › sell hd600 1 minute ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 2 minutes ago
- › $350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and... 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for new iem/earphone under 150$. Mostly metal music. 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Bob Dylan albums - Itunes vs. everything else. 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude