- 287 Posts. Joined 2/2015
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I am on my last straw... Last post on 7/20/12 at 8:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So what is wrong with this 3-way headphone review from Oz? K550 vs Spirit One vs PSB M4U2 Last post on 7/7/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- PSB M4U 2 cracking. Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- An Interview with Paul Barton of PSB and NAD - Head-Fi TV Last post on 4/27/15 at 11:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Synergy of hifi m8 DAC/AMP and PSB M4U cans Last post on 4/8/14 at 9:10pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure 4ECs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Brainwavz continues to step up their game. This time it's in the realm of Bluetooth! The BLU-100 is a budget-priced IEM that is very well-designed and offers very good sound for anyone that needs...
Dont let these tiny guys disappoint you by looks. Plug them in and you wont believe your ears. These are that good, It sounds like large over ear headphones. I have owned many earbuds like...
PSB M4U 2 - Page 39post #571 of 5744/11/15 at 12:51amI also would like clarification if the m4u 1 does indeed sound better than the m4u 2. There is a cnet review that suggests that it does as well as I saw a post somewhere on the forum that Tyll from Innerfidelity also suggested the m4u 1 sounds better. I found a deal where I can get the m4u 2 for the same price as the 1. Not sure which one to go for if I decide to make the purchase
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #572 of 5744/13/15 at 2:21amI havent heard the M4U1 but i do own the M4U2 and love them. Really good sound in many ways. If the clamping force wasnt so strong id call them the perfect cans. I often wear a hooded sweatshirt though when wraring them which helps alleviate the clamping pressure.
But I would think the comparison made between the 1 and the 2 involved the 2 being in passive mode when being compared to the 1. Did mention if if the M4U2 was in passive mode during the comparison?
But the M4U2 has the integrated amp and i doubt the M4U1 can beat the M4U2's amp mode. Amp mode makes the great PSB sound come across just a bit better.
If you're being offered the 1 and the 2 at the same price you may want to audition the M4U2 in amp mode against the M4U1, which, can only play in passive mode.post #573 of 5744/13/15 at 6:08amThe comparisons between the M4U 1 & 2 were done in passive mode according to the cnet review on the 1. They said the differences were rather small though indicating more or less that the 2 sounded a bit "further away" than the 1.
ATM all the headphones I'm considering I have no way of auditioning before buying. I live quite far from any major city that would carry more specialized audiophile type equipment. I have to make the best educated guess on this one unfortunately.
Also can anyone confirm or deny that this would be a good can for mixing in a home studio? Do they do any masking of certain aspects of the souce material? How revealing are they? How do they respond to Eq and dynamics changes?
Edited by LNuneek - 4/13/15 at 6:12ampost #574 of 5745/3/15 at 7:00am
I have the PSB M4U 2, and I've spoken with the technical support staff at PSB, and they claim that the passive mode of the M4U 2 is identical in sound to the M4U 1, for what it's worth. Also The Wirecutter, which rated the PSB M4U 1 as the best headphone for $300, doesn't claim it sounds better than the M4U 2, and Lauren Dragan, the lead reviewer mentions that her "reference headphones" are the PSB M4U 2.
"If you often find yourself on planes, trains, and in the back of automobiles, you might consider paying an extra $100 for the noise-canceling M4U 2s, which are the same headphone with a built-in noise-canceling circuit that’s quite effective. These are my personal reference headphones (and the step up in our guide to the best noise-canceling over-ear headphones)."
Personally, I'm not an audiophile, and have never heard the PSB M4U 1s, but I enjoy the sound a great deal with my M4U 2s.
- PSB M4U 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › "The Lab" 9 seconds ago
- › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Whiplash Audio 6 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 6 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 7 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Courageousbo
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2