Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PSB M4U 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSB M4U 2 - Page 22

post #316 of 535

All this talk is making me nervous. The plastic band is cosmetic, isn't it, with a steel spring underneath? Yet you have lost grip? (I have visions of a bandage solution, like something out of "The Mummy"...) Is it a structural, as opposed to a cosmetic, problem? And is there any way of telling the age of stock from the serial number? I am nervous because I have a big head and the phones do sit tight (the cover of the driver sits high and the cups are soft; comfort is an issue for me.)
 

post #317 of 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wportre View Post

All this talk is making me nervous. The plastic band is cosmetic, isn't it, with a steel spring underneath? Yet you have lost grip? (I have visions of a bandage solution, like something out of "The Mummy"...) Is it a structural, as opposed to a cosmetic, problem? And is there any way of telling the age of stock from the serial number? I am nervous because I have a big head and the phones do sit tight (the cover of the driver sits high and the cups are soft; comfort is an issue for me.)
 


As far as I can tell, there is steel underneath, but the plastic mold seems to apply much of the clamping force. The snap went completely accross the band so it wasn't just a "crack". I think it's definitely structural. My pair was a "first-run" or close to it. I bought them in April...Serial #: 17010-100950. I'll see what PSB says, hopefully I'll get that e-mail today...

 

I wonder what Serial numbers the "newer" revisions are? I wonder if they made a distinction?

post #318 of 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnB4Guy View Post


As far as I can tell, there is steel underneath, but the plastic mold seems to apply much of the clamping force. The snap went completely accross the band so it wasn't just a "crack". I think it's definitely structural. My pair was a "first-run" or close to it. I bought them in April...Serial #: 17010-100950. I'll see what PSB says, hopefully I'll get that e-mail today...

 

I wonder what Serial numbers the "newer" revisions are? I wonder if they made a distinction?


mine are a month or so old. Serial is 17010-207089

 

So I'd figure they are quite new

post #319 of 535

My 2nd set have developed the 'popping' in NC mode (whilst walking) that my first set did. This time in the left ear. Dagnabit. I hope this is completely coincidental as I like these phones. No one else seems to be complaining of this, so either 1) It is my ears causing it! 2) No-one else uses NC or 3) No-one else is bothered by it biggrin.gif

post #320 of 535
Can any one recommend a desktop amp/dac (in one or two units) for use with the m4u's? They are great but if anything I miss a bit of sparkle up top, a more communicative midrange and the bass can be a litltle overpowering. I considered the dragonfly, but I'm afraid it will not be a good match..
post #321 of 535
Budget is around $250. I currently have the uDac1, but it does not work with my work machine (pops and crackle) and I'm not crazy about the sound.
post #322 of 535

 It may be something to do with that mute function on the M4U2s, which only kicks in in noise cancelling mode. When I release mine, the "wobble" on the drivers is really alarming; feels like they're moving a huge distance. So does swapping cables have any impact? And I'm sure you have and apologies if this is annoying but just to be thorough, you've eliminated other steps in the chain? (Mainly using different players?)
 

post #323 of 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wportre View Post

 It may be something to do with that mute function on the M4U2s, which only kicks in in noise cancelling mode. When I release mine, the "wobble" on the drivers is really alarming; feels like they're moving a huge distance. So does swapping cables have any impact? And I'm sure you have and apologies if this is annoying but just to be thorough, you've eliminated other steps in the chain? (Mainly using different players?)
 

Were you referring to my problem? If so thanks for the advice. I've tried walking with NC without any cable or source connected and have the same. I have the say the issue is currently much less obvious than the first set, and may well be caused by the leather pads or plastic making a noise which is picked up by the inbuilt microphones. It also seems intermittent on this set. I'll have to investigate more.

post #324 of 535

@JimBob

 

I had pops & cracks and to my shame realized that it must be the combination of my abundant ear hair and the M4U's! Try walking with the can's in passive mode and not connected to anything.. Or maybe that's not your issues really :-)

post #325 of 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by sune View Post

@JimBob

 

I had pops & cracks and to my shame realized that it must be the combination of my abundant ear hair and the M4U's! Try walking with the can's in passive mode and not connected to anything.. Or maybe that's not your issues really :-)

Classic! It doesn't happen in unconnected, passive mode - At least I can't hear it, but I'll seek out ear hairs just in case biggrin.gif Hopefully that is the case as I do like these headphones.


Edited by JimBob1971 - 1/9/13 at 6:53am
post #326 of 535

@JimBob: yes, I was referring to your issue. Sorry. On the same note, you're in the UK, so it's unlikely, but have you ruled out static discharge of some sort?

post #327 of 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wportre View Post

@JimBob: yes, I was referring to your issue. Sorry. On the same note, you're in the UK, so it's unlikely, but have you ruled out static discharge of some sort?

Hi again. It sounded like something mechanical rather than electronic but was only happening in NC mode. Weirdly the issue has gone now. At least I haven't noticed it in the last few days so perhaps I jumped the gun a bit. Thanks for your help.

post #328 of 535

I  recently purchased a pair of PSB M4U 2s and they sound much better than the Bose QC15s.

Unfortunately, the Active and Noise Cancelling modes make listening to them impossible. Turning on the power creates very noticable static. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing such static.

I have confirmed that the static is caused by the headphones themselves. The static is still present after disconnecting the cables, meaning that it's not outside electrical interference causing it.

There is also popping present when Active or Noise Cancelling is activated. I hear a pop in both speakers every 0.75 seconds.

The static and popping are only drowned out by turning the volume up to levels I am uncomfortable listening to. Currently, I am stuck using the passive mode, disappointing for a pair of headphones I bought for traveling.

Is the static normal? PSB support wasn't much help.

post #329 of 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchy View Post

I  recently purchased a pair of PSB M4U 2s and they sound much better than the Bose QC15s.

Unfortunately, the Active and Noise Cancelling modes make listening to them impossible. Turning on the power creates very noticable static. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing such static.

I have confirmed that the static is caused by the headphones themselves. The static is still present after disconnecting the cables, meaning that it's not outside electrical interference causing it.

There is also popping present when Active or Noise Cancelling is activated. I hear a pop in both speakers every 0.75 seconds.

The static and popping are only drowned out by turning the volume up to levels I am uncomfortable listening to. Currently, I am stuck using the passive mode, disappointing for a pair of headphones I bought for traveling.

Is the static normal? PSB support wasn't much help.

I've owned two pairs and didn't notice any noises in the first, however I only had them a few days. On the second pair I can sometimes hear noises in the right ear when in NC that sound like some sort of discharge. However, it is VERY quiet and can only be heard in a very quiet room. I wouldn't hear it with any sound on. I haven't experienced anything like the static you mentioned. Although I did hear a weird, cool panning sound when standing next to a microwave biggrin.gif

 

I had a popping in the first set, right ear, but I think it was mechanical in nature. Only happened when I walked (cable unconnected, so not that) with NC on. It didn't happen every 0.75 seconds. The set that replaced it didn't have that problem.

post #330 of 535

@searchy: they sound faulty although I suppose you could try fiddling with seating batteries etc. Agree on the better sound than QC15s. If by static you mean hiss, it bothers me too but I only get it on NC. On NC, it is enormous to my ears and far worse than QC15 or ANC7b. However fairly low music masks it; no deafness-inducing levels. I do not get the popping phenomena you describe so overall yours sound like a dud..
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PSB M4U 2