Just picked these up today about an hour ago. Out of the box, they sound quite good. Not to far from the D2000s, for me. On the iPod they sound great on active mode. Amped with my Shanling PH-100, on passive mode, they sound quite good as well, but have had a couple of odd sound drop outs. Haven't tried noise canceling yet.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I am on my last straw... Last post on 7/20/12 at 8:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So what is wrong with this 3-way headphone review from Oz? K550 vs Spirit One vs PSB M4U2 Last post on 7/7/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- PSB M4U 2 cracking. Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Synergy of hifi m8 DAC/AMP and PSB M4U cans Last post on 10/30/13 at 8:49am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- PSB M4U 2 White - SOLD Last post on 11/28/13 at 8:47pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
a-JAYS Five Quick Review Thanks to JAYS for the sample. Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/695893/jays-a-jays-five-review Brief: JAYS notice that there are phones not made by...
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
PSB M4U 2 - Page 21post #301 of 51912/30/12 at 2:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 51912/31/12 at 5:02pmpost #303 of 5191/3/13 at 6:57ampost #304 of 5191/3/13 at 9:46amQuote:
Based on a couple of themes in this thread, the M4U 1 with an amp seems the way to go. Based on my A/Bs, the noise cancellation of the 2s is far inferior to the Bose QC15s and my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7Bs, and the ANC hiss is BAD. They're also far less portable and it seems like sitting in a plane is not going to be why these are bought. Rather, sitting at home where, as a number of posts have pointed out, the frequency distribution does not sit well with the ANC response, which peaks in the mid-range and so happens to fit well with eg engine noise. But they sound best in non-ANC active mode, ie they need amping. So the 1s seem like an outstanding passive phone but the 2s seem to fall a bit between two stools. Given the do-over, I would go for the 1s and fund an amp with the saving. Just my 2c based on a couple of A/Bs. And personally, I do find them squeezing my pinneas where the other two sit well clear.post #305 of 5191/3/13 at 1:43pmpost #306 of 5191/3/13 at 5:02pm
^but the way I see it based on reviews, the internal amp of the M4U2 is very decent. It's just like paying USD100 for the amp (let's just say the cancellation goes in for free) and its very convenient since its already internal. Unless the M4U1 can sing with the likes of FiiO E6?post #307 of 5191/4/13 at 12:34am
Absolutely, so it's horses for courses; whether you'd use an amp on another set, whether you'd want controls on an amp, the ability to drive off the dock outlet of an iPod etc. There is a weight consideration, of course. It's arguably minor; 362g plays 340g, but you're already way up there (eg on my airplane portability point, the Bose--obviously a very different phone--is 192g and you're lucky to be allowed to carry on the M4U case :-). And yes the noise cancellation is a very secondary consideration; as the curves show, the electronic component of it is gone completely by 1000Hz; you get the passive component with the 1s as well, obviously. As I said, this suits plane noise well, which puts the 2s' ANC mode between two stools, in my view. But it's individual preference and in whatever form is chosen, it's a rocking non-ANC headphone.
post #308 of 5191/4/13 at 2:49amQuote:Originally Posted by wportre
Based on a couple of themes in this thread, the M4U 1 with an amp seems the way to go. Based on my A/Bs, the noise cancellation of the 2s is far inferior to the Bose QC15s and my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7Bs, and the ANC hiss is BAD. They're also far less portable and it seems like sitting in a plane is not going to be why these are bought. Rather, sitting at home where, as a number of posts have pointed out, the frequency distribution does not sit well with the ANC response, which peaks in the mid-range and so happens to fit well with eg engine noise. But they sound best in non-ANC active mode, ie they need amping. So the 1s seem like an outstanding passive phone but the 2s seem to fall a bit between two stools. Given the do-over, I would go for the 1s and fund an amp with the saving. Just my 2c based on a couple of A/Bs. And personally, I do find them squeezing my pinneas where the other two sit well clear.
Very personal I think. I will be using them on planes, probably without a separate amp for convenience. Though I understand your view as well. I think for the difference I would still go for the 2's as it's not that much cost and it gives you more flexability.
Also on a weight topic. I took the batteries out of mine (needed them for an xmas present!) and I have not replaced them yet as I am using the Fiio to amp and enjoying the weight loss! Makes a considerable difference, more than expected at least!post #309 of 5191/4/13 at 5:10ampost #310 of 5191/4/13 at 6:55pmSo I bought a set locally. Like them so far but today I was hooking them up to an E11 I got in the mail. As I was putting them on, I heard a crack. Yup, the band has a small crack now. I figured buying them this late in the game I'd be ok but that wasn't the case. The place I bought them from is trying to pawn me off on to PSB. I was hoping they'd swap them. Now I'm trying to decide if I should deal with PSB or just tell them to F off and return them. How has the turn around been from PSB? Pretty quick? Are the new ones much better? Kinda pissed that the store is trying to get me to go through PSB instead of taking care of it.post #311 of 5191/4/13 at 7:24pmQuote:
Better to return them for exchange, then tell them to F off
The store should swap them for you. The dealer where I got mine exchanged them...twice. And they let me wait for the M4U1 to arrive, then they exchanged for that. They made me a very happy camper.post #312 of 5191/4/13 at 7:54pmQuote:
They say they have a 30 day no hassle return policy, no question. Yet they want me to go through the manufacturer. Doesn't seem like no hassle to me. My only concern with exchanging it is I'd imagine my odds of getting old stock are high since it happened once. Not sure that's the best route. Might just return it and look at other options.post #313 of 5191/4/13 at 9:34pmpost #314 of 5191/5/13 at 6:26am
Well it's a very sad day for me. After almost 8 months, my pair have just cracked on the plastic headband, going straight across the band. The grip on my head is gone and the headphones will need to be replaced. I will be contacting PSB I guess. I no longer live in the city where I bought them so I expect PSB should be the route I go.
Hopefully it will be a quick turn-around.
- PSB M4U 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 9 seconds ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 50 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 51 seconds ago
- › Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X... 1 minute ago
- › RHA's running a MA750 and MA600 review programme 3 minutes ago
- › New Fostex HP-V1 Portable Amp 4 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 8 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables feedback thread 8 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.6 9 minutes ago
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe