I do not like that FR chart, wish I didn't see it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCardastagged by System, 4/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- (price drop)JPS power AC+ and Cardas Clear USB,shipping included Last post on 2/3/15 at 12:33am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- Cardas EM5813 Ear Speakers Now Available Last post on 9/2/14 at 7:15am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- USB Cable popularity check Last post on 10/19/14 at 8:36am in Dedicated Source Components
- Cardas Audio Introduces The Cardas Clarifier iPhone App Last post on 4/5/13 at 3:37pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Lots of science-y type stuff on the Cardas web page Last post on 8/2/12 at 9:44am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
AK120II and Pono player combined review
Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait! - Page 6
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
This is well known technology. The Navy Seals have been secretly bending their rifle barrels into this shape for decades. It makes them completely silent (because the sound waves are emitted in a spiral thus never touching the inner ear membranes) and shots hit their mark with stunning accurancy.
Steve Guttenberg recently reviewed the EM5813 Ear Speakers. He says nice things about them, including that they flatter every genre of music.
I know, right?
Given the FR curves, you might just think a review would simply say, "these are very warm earphones." And they do go big with the bass, but he likes it that way... because of the way it is implemented. So obviously not a "neutral" implementation. Further these come with two set of tips, one of which (the blue ones) serves to reduce the bass -- but he sticks with the bass-heavy white tips.
What I enjoyed most is his comparison between these and the $1,099 Jerry Harvey JH13's. The JH13s give reference-level accuracy.... but it does seem he's fallen in love with the Cardas.
Interesting. In any event, his description certainly keeps them on my interest list.
I do wonder if we could get these Oregonians up to a Seattle headphone meet sometime. That would be grand.
Well first of all I want to thank you all for your patience.
The Cardas Audio EM5813 Model 1 Ear Speakers have been released and are shipping to Fine Cardas Audio Dealers everywhere this week. We are very pleased with the results and we are not alone. Steve G reviewed them for CNET this weekend.
Headfi Image.jpg 61k .jpg file
Below is the Press release that went out today:
Ear Speakers from Cardas Audio Now Available
Bandon, OR—June 24, 2013—After four years of research and development encompassing every part of the human hearing system, high-end cable manufacturer Cardas Audio has introduced an In-Ear Monitor (IEM) experience like no other that delivers transfixing musicality. After all, seeking to help talented musicians bring their art to the world accurately has been the driving force in Georges’ life, and the reason Cardas Audio was founded over 25 years ago. The EM5813 Ear Speakers are available now worldwide.
The human hearing system, musical chords, and the Cardas Audio EM5813 Ear Speakers are reflections of the Golden Ratio - closely related to the Fibonacci Sequence - George Cardas has based his cable and microphone designs on this age old mathematical sequence that naturally occurrs in nature, architecture, and art.
The EM5813 Ear Speakers mirror the human cochlea, and tympanic membrane, and the shape of the elegant copper plated brass body has been designed to work in symphony with the human hearing system. All the parts that make up the custom designed drivers are machined from proprietary solid bar stock metals in California. And all drivers are hand matched on each pair of Ear Speakers.
The Ear Speaker cable is made from Clear Light Headphone Cable, which is a miniature version of the Cardas Audio Clear cable, also made in California, using proprietary Cardas copper. A custom designed ultra-thin ear tip that ensures a precise and comfortable fit has been created by company founder George Cardas.
To view an animation detailing the design of the EM5813 Ear Speakers, please visit:
Availability: Now shipping
Suggested Retail Price: USD $425.00/each
About Cardas Audio
Since 1987, Cardas Audio has been manufacturing premium audio cables and component parts using ultra-pure materials, innovative Golden Ratio resonance control techniques and uniquely insightful solutions to transmission line problems. The legendary connections and craftsmanship at Cardas reflect George’s pursuit of perfection to this day.
They came in today. The box has been pictured; it's very nice and understated, like the leather carry bag that comes with them. I agree that the provided eartips leave a lot to be desired. There are two identical pairs of double flanged silicone tips, in clear and sky blue. I don't think it one size fits all as much as Cardas is deciding that their customers know what kind of tip works for them and they can't possibly accommodate everybody so screw it we don't play that game. Or something along those lines.
The cable is quite luxurious, but more than a bit unwieldy and surprisingly, really microphonic. If you've handled a Denon D2/5/7000 cable it's very similar in its unwieldiness.
The IEMs themselves are very shiny and have some real heft to them, like fine jewelry. But once in the ears they don't feel heavy, just in the hands.
As far as the sound goes, it was promising but quite dry and underwhelming with the provided eartips. So I dragged out my big box of tips, along with the unopened Monster sampler, and did the same thing that I usually do: pilfer a pair of Sony Hybrids from my backup CK10s and bam!.. done; the box and the sampler will now go back to wherever they came from. The dryness is definitely gone, and the mids have filled out nicely but I will reserve further judgement until I become more accustomed to them.
I will say that they have exceptional ambiance, or soundstage, and that even though I'm not a big burn in guy the provided instructions have some pretty explicit burn in instructions so I will probably give their recommended procedure a shot.
I'm listening to the Ear Speakers out of a PHA-1 with an iPod Classic and a Silver Dragon USB LOD, standard ALAC rips.
Edited by grokit - 7/9/13 at 6:19pm
The bass is definitely there. It's very present and extended and well-textured/detailed, but not as punchy as my FX700. Much smoother I would say, quite different.
edit: They sound pretty good straight out of my Nano as well, but they seriously ramp up with the Sony.
Edited by grokit - 7/9/13 at 8:19pm
- Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 27 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 39 seconds ago
- › UE 10 Pro Custom IEM - reference-quality from Ultimate Ears 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 3 minutes ago
- › F/S AlgoRhythm Picollo DAC/Amp Combo *MINT* 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio 6 minutes ago
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3