or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait! - Page 15

post #211 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzman View Post
 

thanks, guys for your posts, so i didn't have to post myself :bigsmile_face:.  I am impulsive, and bought the 5813s for myself before having heard them, based on input from a co-worker who had heard the earlier version of them.....

 

I may be biased in terms of the sonic presentation I like, but I am not posting favorably about these so my company can sell more of them.  Besides, if they do not sound the way I say they do, or if I mis-describe them, it would hurt both my credibility and sales, as Music Direct has a very liberal return policy. I've also posted very favorably about some JVC iems that MD does not sell, and will not be selling anytime soon that I know of.

 

 

I am glad that I bought these, and still dig them very much. I hope others enjoy them as well.  My earlier comments about these were as much to describe how I evaluate gear as they were about the 5813s in particular, and to call-out people who comment about things they have not heard themselves, or who make inappropriate critical remarks that could be unjustifiably damaging to others.

 

Didn't mean to imply you were deliberately doing anything. We all have bias. I'm just excited that joker has a pair. He doesn't grade by sig has immense experience and has the same fav as me so he has my trust. 

 

I never commented on the sound so I don't understand that remark at all and I didn't damage you in any way by stating a simple fact. My explanation to Eric should have put it any doubt to rest. 

 

For me, I get lost in good music and it seems to slowdown where there's so much gong on that it transcends time. Sort of enhanced time for me. I can understand wanting evenings to last longer.:smile:

 

I would definitely recommend anyone interested to visit Music Direct. Great service.


Edited by goodvibes - 9/28/13 at 8:10pm
post #212 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

 

The only thing I find odd with that is that when I really like something, music transcends time, transports me and seems to play longer. More experience to be had.

They sound like they're quite good if a a bit warm. I think Joker has a pair for review. Will be nice to get an unbiased take.

I spent 30 minutes with the 5813s and compared them with ASG-2s and K3003s. I thought they were too warm (to my taste), a bit too discrete on the treble side, and they sounded a bit cavernous, probably due to the empty space behind the driver (I prefer my soundstage a bit closer to me).

Take it with a grain of salt since the demo unit was brand new and would certainly need a bit more burning. These IEMs certainly present music differently but this wasn't for me.

 

I could also appreciate the quality of the materials used to make the cable and the IEMs, but it was too much on the heavy side (IEMs felt heavy, and the cable really too heavy and rigid while walking).

post #213 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
 

I spent 30 minutes with the 5813s and compared them with ASG-2s and K3003s. I thought they were too warm (to my taste), a bit too discrete on the treble side, and they sounded a bit cavernous, probably due to the empty space behind the driver (I prefer my soundstage a bit closer to me).

Take it with a grain of salt since the demo unit was brand new and would certainly need a bit more burning. These IEMs certainly present music differently but this wasn't for me.

 

I could also appreciate the quality of the materials used to make the cable and the IEMs, but it was too much on the heavy side (IEMs felt heavy, and the cable really too heavy and rigid while walking).

 

Yeah, it changes a lot with burn-in (especially the treble). Surprised you didn't like the spaciousness in sound, but we all have our sound preferences. I haven't heard the K3003, but of those universals I have heard it's tops for  me. It doesn't sound as warm either with proper burn-in. It is heavy, I agree, but doesn't stop me from loving the sound.

post #214 of 438

I'm a big believer in break in as well but thanks for the input. I'm quite curious to hear these at some point. Probably not for me as I'm big on ergonomics for portable stuff but that's me. I consider myself something of a purist but don't like the carry a brick or dislodging earphone thing. Very personal and it will be fine for another. By the way, FZ and I are all good and like I said, Music Direct is a great place to shop.


Edited by goodvibes - 9/29/13 at 4:02pm
post #215 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Yeah, it changes a lot with burn-in (especially the treble). Surprised you didn't like the spaciousness in sound, but we all have our sound preferences. I haven't heard the K3003, but of those universals I have heard it's tops for  me. It doesn't sound as warm either with proper burn-in. It is heavy, I agree, but doesn't stop me from loving the sound.

+1 i love the sound more and more, specialy on high gain of my dx50.
Until now I cant find the right words to describe EM5813 in a review.
post #216 of 438
I found them very boomy out of the box and lacking any good qualities, and after 10 hours they really changed drastically. Now after 200 hours they have changed a little more, but the first 10 hours saw most of the change. I love the 5813 but they don't fit my ears very well. :-(
post #217 of 438

My enjoyment of the 5813s is based on using the blue tips, and being very methodical about insertion depth and angle.  I almost always use my 901 for playback, but also play them via my Cowon X7, and my Galaxy S3.  They make me happy with all of them, more so with some than others.

 

They are heavy and the cord is a bit thick/stiff, so it is important to dress the cable properly, and use the clip....  they can require the occasional nudge to maintain what I consider to be their magical sonics.  When they are properly seated/positioned, the sound stage becomes massive, coherent, and fleshed out - it simply pops into focus -- if you;ve heard it, you know what I mean.  They are more sensitive to positioning than any other iems i have tried before.  

 

None if this is to suggest that everyone will love them, or prefer them over other things.It is simply a suggestion to people currently trying them - and I'd love it if you would share your findings on this-- jiggle them around a bit and see what happens....

 

 

Thanks!

post #218 of 438
I just insert them as deep as I can, hahaha...
post #219 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzman View Post
 

My enjoyment of the 5813s is based on using the blue tips, and being very methodical about insertion depth and angle.  I almost always use my 901 for playback, but also play them via my Cowon X7, and my Galaxy S3.  They make me happy with all of them, more so with some than others.

 

They are heavy and the cord is a bit thick/stiff, so it is important to dress the cable properly, and use the clip....  they can require the occasional nudge to maintain what I consider to be their magical sonics.  When they are properly seated/positioned, the sound stage becomes massive, coherent, and fleshed out - it simply pops into focus -- if you;ve heard it, you know what I mean.  They are more sensitive to positioning than any other iems i have tried before.  

 

None if this is to suggest that everyone will love them, or prefer them over other things.It is simply a suggestion to people currently trying them - and I'd love it if you would share your findings on this-- jiggle them around a bit and see what happens....

 

 

Thanks!

 

Makes me wonder if something like decored Shure olives may help. They might be a bit daunting on in and out or have the wrong sig but if the fit is good, it may hold them securely. I haven't been a fan of comply due to bass and treble truncating but maybe it's the phones I've tried them with. The olives seem less influential on the sound and work well with midcentric units. I probably have some if you want to try.

post #220 of 438

As much as I love the sound from my EM5813's, I just can't get a good fit that is consistent. Additionally the microphonics with the headphone cable is quite annoying. Unfortunately I will be selling my pair to fund something else.

post #221 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

 

Makes me wonder if something like decored Shure olives may help. They might be a bit daunting on in and out or have the wrong sig but if the fit is good, it may hold them securely. I haven't been a fan of comply due to bass and treble truncating but maybe it's the phones I've tried them with. The olives seem less influential on the sound and work well with midcentric units. I probably have some if you want to try.

 

I've used them with the appropriate Complys - and a number of other tips - not sure if my olives are big enough (typical male anxiety, I suppose),  but keep coming back to the stock blue tips.  I'll attempt shure-gery over the weekend and give a listen.  thanks for the idea.

post #222 of 438

It's why I said decored olives. That firm plastic bit comes out. They then will be a bit loose instead but the pressure between it and your ear will often hold it well enough. I'd be hoping for a solid fit without as much sig as a comply. Shot in the dark but it's worked for me on others before. 

post #223 of 438

I am using the Ortofon tips. Works very well and more comfortable than the stock double flanges for me.

 

Did not do a comparison on the impact it has on sound as I am still breaking in the Cardas EM5813. So far, it is a very nice to listen to iem. It is taking up all my head time.

post #224 of 438

My impressions of the EM5813. I posted this on another thread, but I figured it may be useful here as well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

 

 

 

Cardas EM5813 Ear Speakers

 

 

 

 

As far as I know, this iem has been in development for quite some time and, after numerous delays, it's finally been released to the market.

 

There have been some very mixed impressions about it from members here, and from other audio sites I sometimes browse. As such, I'm pretty grateful for the opportunity to hear them myself.

 

 

Firstly, this is a rather impressive looking phone. The shell is of a brassy colour not very dissimilar to the Piano Forte VIII; the cable is quite thick and inspires a good deal of confidence in the build quality, and the strain reliefs look capable enough to handle the load of the cable. All is fine and dandy...until you place them in your ears for the first time. I have pretty bad driver flex on this pair upon every single insertion attempt. I don't know if this has killed IEMs over time, but it's certainly not pleasant to experience. The second issue comes from the cable. I haven't encountered one this unwieldy since the original Tralucent silver cable. It's thick, heavy, and very microphonic. I found myself sitting still as a rock when listening to the EM5813 just to avoid any sudden movements that would make the cable growl at me. I tried to listen to it yesterday while folding laundry, but I quickly gave up and reached for my ASG-2. Overall, it's a fine looking iem, but incredibly impractical.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Cardas cable (on the right) compared to the stock CIEM cable used by the ASG-2 and FA-4E XB.

 

 

 

 

The Y-splits.

 

 

 

 

The ASG-2's earpieces feel almost half the weight of the Cardas'

 

 

 

 

 

SO SHINY AND PRETTY!!!

 

 

 

 

 

My initial impressions were not exactly favorable, so it was recommended that I let them burn in some more. I've left them on my clip+ all weekend, and switched to the Auvio large tips.

 

 

The overall signature is what I'd describe as very warm and sweet. The focus here is obviously in the mid-bass and lower mids. The treble, while extended with good timbre, is quite recessed. What this leads to is a sound that I consider overly dark. The biggest thing I can't get over is a sort of fuzz with vocals that sets off my claustrophobia after a while. The actual soundstage is not small, but that quality in the vocals and overall sound signature reminds me of a room like this:

 

 

 

ep+jungle+room2.JPG

 

 

 

This tuning makes me not want to listen to most of my library. Combine this with the excess mid-bass, and I don't think I'd keep these around very long if they were mine. *Now, in the sake of fairness I want to point out that a lot of this might be due to the driver flex. However, I've tried to eliminate this possibility by using my sawed off complys and TS-500, both yielding the same type of sound. Maybe the Ear Mirrors don't exactly mirror my own ears.

 

 

 

Compared to the ASG-2:

 

 

Test Tracks and Gear:

 

iPod Classic 6th Gen -> Tralucent T1. This was my primary setup, but I confirmed my findings with the iPhone 4 and my desktop setup.

 

 

Tracks:

 

 

For Reasons Unknown - The Killers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Your Love - The Outfield

 

 

 

 

 

 

Move Your Body - Nina Sky

 

 

 

 

 

Only Love - Ben Howard

 

 

 

 

 

 

Valerie - Amy Winehouse (Back to Black version)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I started off with the Amy Winehouse song because I thought it would play most to the Cardas' strengths....and I was right. Something about Amy's voice song works really well here, and the electric guitar to the left is just having a grand old time. Amy's vocals are stark, yet smooth, but the background vocals exhibit the fuzz I mentioned earlier. I switch the ASG-2 and start laughing. The vocal intimacy is still there, but her voice is so much more clear, and the background vocals are much more defined and separated. There's also less mid-bass on the ASG-2, making the sub-bass tones of the guitar more articulated and less masked. The electric guitar has a taller soundstage to play around in. I can hear tiny inflections that are simply absent in the EM5813.

 

I hit next on the playlist, and Your Love starts playing. It's one of my favorite songs overall, and the G2 simply makes it come alive. Switching to the Cardas, the soundstage collapses in due to the extra warmth, and the fuzz is there again. One of my favorite parts of the song is around 1:30, where the toms on the drum set kick in. You can follow them from the right to the left side of the sound field. The ASG-2's extra soundstage height help with the imaging, and the extra treble presence gives better attack to the impact.

 

I use Move Your Body for bass performance sometimes and, with the ASG-2 as the baseline, the warmer nature of the EM5813 works better in its favor here. Though the ASG-2 has greater detail, separation, etc., the EM5813's more laid back treble allows for higher volumes than the ASG-2 can manage without sibilance. That adds up to more headroom for the bass. The EM5813 sounds more fun on this track.

 

Last was Ben Howard's Only Love. Again, the EM5813's midrange haze was a distraction. However, the extra warmth and intimacy was nice. Then I remembered I could open my ASG-2's bass port to achieve the same level of warmth without that haze. I also think I hear a bit of shoutiness in the Cardas. I'm also noticing some timbre issues due to its tonality, in that some instrument harmonics are screwy or missing due to the way the FR is skewed.

 

 

I really don't know what to say about the EM5813 as a package. It has its moments of brilliance, but the bad far outweighs the good to my ears. I have a feeling that the metal housing may have something to do with the way it sounds, as it has a (very small) trace of the Piano Forte's overall character (the tuning is drastically different though). I don't see it as a practical package, either in sonics or ergonomics.

 

 

 

post #225 of 438

I don't hear the Cardas in that manner at all. It's amazing how people can hear an earphone totally different.Then again, people loved the TF10 and I just didn't get it (or that dual-BA Fischer). Regardless, good detailed impressions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!