Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Your favorite IEM you own/owned [Explain Why?]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your favorite IEM you own/owned [Explain Why?] - Page 3

post #31 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by delladood View Post


on a separate note to anyone.  What headphone would you guys recommend I get, based upon your favorite sound signature??? Every headphone I hear about is so main stream... examples: ie8, UM3X, W3, W4, UM2, SE535, ER4, IE80, ETC ETC.


 

A reshelled ER4! No one's thought of/done that yet, right? Though this is based on your already *sorta decided* preference for the ER4.

The only downside other than an even higher cost would probably be less isolation but it's better to be safe and be able to hear the idiot red SUV barreling towards you.

post #32 of 259


Get. A. Decent. Seal. With. Black. Foam. Tips  And. Insert. Them. Deep.

 

As in, the 90° bend should be flush with the dent between your earlobe and the little cartilage bit in front of it.  They don't thump, but they DO have a nice tight punch to them when used correctly. (Assuming I'm interpreting the phrase "punch" correctly)

 

Delladood, the Etys seem like exactly what you'd be looking for.  I've owned them for ages and love them - only shopping around now because I lost the bastids and want to try something new.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

No, they have NO PUNCH. NONE. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.

 

But they really put the detail "in your face." They are remarkably detailed, and it isn't just the detail retrieval that impresses, but the way the detail is presented. I can often hear the same detail in other high-end phones(Sony EX1000). but the ER4 makes details obvious.
 



 


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byakushiki View Post


 

A reshelled ER4! No one's thought of/done that yet, right? Though this is based on your already *sorta decided* preference for the ER4.

The only downside other than an even higher cost would probably be less isolation but it's better to be safe and be able to hear the idiot red SUV barreling towards you.

 

Plus the fact that the size/style of the ER4s make them great for things that most IEMs are rubbish at (ie being invisible and using under motorcycle helmets))


Edited by Dragunov-21 - 4/9/12 at 3:26pm
post #33 of 259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov-21 View Post


Get. A. Decent. Seal. With. Black. Foam. Tips  And. Insert. Them. Deep.

 

As in, the 90° bend should be flush with the dent between your earlobe and the little cartilage bit in front of it.  They don't thump, but they DO have a nice tight punch to them when used correctly. (Assuming I'm interpreting the phrase "punch" correctly)

 

Delladood, the Etys seem like exactly what you'd be looking for.  I've owned them for ages and love them - only shopping around now because I lost the bastids and want to try something new.

 


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byakushiki View Post


 

A reshelled ER4! No one's thought of/done that yet, right? Though this is based on your already *sorta decided* preference for the ER4.

The only downside other than an even higher cost would probably be less isolation but it's better to be safe and be able to hear the idiot red SUV barreling towards you.

 

Plus the fact that the size/style of the ER4s make them great for things that most IEMs are rubbish at (ie being invisible and using under motorcycle helmets))

 

Well the other thing that made me thinking of getting either shure, westone, or ety is the fact that they isolate.  I ride road bikes on the trails very frequently for hours at a time.  I need something that isolates and keeps me in the music.  Shure isolates great.  An accurate sound signature isn't my style, Its just the only type of headphone I dont own.  Im tossed up between the er4's, asg-1's and the UM3X.  Are they difficult to drive at all? Would I need an amp for the er4's.  I'm sure they would be great for my senior highschool and college days when trying to study without huge pounding bass in my ear... 
 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakushiki View Post


 

A reshelled ER4! No one's thought of/done that yet, right? Though this is based on your already *sorta decided* preference for the ER4.

The only downside other than an even higher cost would probably be less isolation but it's better to be safe and be able to hear the idiot red SUV barreling towards you.


Haha that would be rather expensive...  I know the etymotics isolate well, but so does shure, and etymotic er4.  As I stated in the recent quote, im torn up between the um3x, the ASG-1, and the er4p.  I've owned the HF3's when I first got into IEMs.  I was expecting some bass monster IEM with a similar sound to the all but crappy... *BEAST'S* BY DRE.  I feel like etymotic has a sound signature that nobody has been able to match.  They definitely weren't bass heavy, but they had tight accurate punch to say the least.  and EVERY detail was apparent and spot on.

 

post #34 of 259
Here's a thought. Instead of going for an IEM, check out the Shure SRH-940, amazing detail that surpasses all of the IEM's I have owned with a very large sound stage, excellent instrument separation, and bass that woul be right up your alley. They can be comfortably be driven from a portable source but get will take advantage of an amp, are pretty comfortable, and have decent isolation for a full size headphone.
post #35 of 259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

Here's a thought. Instead of going for an IEM, check out the Shure SRH-940, amazing detail that surpasses all of the IEM's I have owned with a very large sound stage, excellent instrument separation, and bass that woul be right up your alley. They can be comfortably be driven from a portable source but get will take advantage of an amp, are pretty comfortable, and have decent isolation for a full size headphone.


heres the disadvantage of being a 17 year old and a junior in highschool. My mom has NO idea that I purchase enough head phones to buy a new car. If she saw those, she would probably snap them over her knee.

post #36 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by delladood View Post



heres the disadvantage of being a 17 year old and a junior in highschool. My mom has NO idea that I purchase enough head phones to buy a new car. If she saw those, she would probably snap them over her knee.



That's too bad. My mom personally doesn't care a whole lot what I do with my money. She'll shake her head, but hey, it's a better hobby than drugs.

post #37 of 259
I have both the ER4S and final Audio design Heaven S. Up until the heavens arrived the ety's were my all time favourite in ear monitor. Amped well they certainly do have punch. Having said that I also own the triple.fi10's and after getting the etys I found the UE's all but unlistenable as they smear like crazy, bass is bloated and un detailed and overwhelms all the other frequencies I find. I did not realize this until getting the ety's.

Now then. If you want something with more bass depth and more clarity and accuracy I really recommend the final's. Now then. Some say the top end is harsh. I too found this until A, they burned in a little and B they got some good amplification. Straight out of a DAP they reveal all the badness of poor amplification and in built DAC I find. But give them a top notch source such as I have and they simply take your breath away!

I thought the ety's had detail but they don't really come close in comparison, likewise soundstage, true bass reproduction,emotion, PRaT are in abundance with the finals.

If though your just feeding them right from the DAP with anything other than lossless or FLAC or higher forget it. They will reveal all the flaws in the equipment and compression used!

Having said that I will never let my ER4S's go and will always recommend them and if I had not heard the finals I would be still listening in pure bliss to the ETY's!

To those who think the ETY's have no punch I say tosh! You simply have not heard them with decent amplification and source. They have plenty of punch but they reveal poor sources and amplification. If you find your etys not having enough punch look elsewhere for the issue as the etys are simply true to what is fed them. The finals even more so!

On a side not. I really wish people giving opinions would list three things. Amp if they are using one, Dap or source and lastly if digital then the compression rate they use.

I have so often seen authoritative comments here on headfi only to find out they come from people listening to 128kb tracks out of an ordinary dap that they have eq'd up to the hilt. This is crazy as the sound your commenting on is hard to quantify. First things first review with no eq as your thoughts are all but useless as a comparative to others as we cannot possible replicate the settings without the same EQ. At least if you do add your thoughts with whatever equipment used non eq'd we know what the basic sonic signature of the DAP will be to take that into allowance.

I have got to the point now that if the listening equipment used is not mentioned or not to be found in their signature I ignore completely their opinions, likewise if all the COWON owners chip in with thoughts if they have the EQ on I ignore those as well as it simply does not give a reliable idea as to sound quality!
Edited by ianmedium - 4/9/12 at 8:33pm
post #38 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman View Post



That's too bad. My mom personally doesn't care a whole lot what I do with my money. She'll shake her head, but hey, it's a better hobby than drugs.


That is so true, if my kid(s) have an IEM addiction, I'll probably give them some of mine :)
 

 

post #39 of 259

ER-4 is definitely the most analytic of the list, the SE425 are known to be so, however I don't find them to be very much analytic. 

post #40 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

ER-4 is definitely the most analytic of the list, the SE425 are known to be so, however I don't find them to be very much analytic. 


I also don't find the SE425 to be analytic. It's flat though.

 

post #41 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post


I also don't find the SE425 to be analytic. It's flat though.

 



Yeah, it is quite flat, though I personally find their highs lacking. 

post #42 of 259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post



Yeah, it is quite flat, though I personally find their highs lacking. 



I find them lacking in everything that makes a headphone sound decent.... Its just an overall "meh" headphone.  I think im actually going to keep my fxt90's and just buy a pair of ASG-1's.

post #43 of 259
It sure sounds like you want some treble :-) just not the piercing your skull kind :-). Personally I liked the Ety HF3 much more then the $400+ SM3 I had as the SM3 like the Shure SE425 and I believe 535 all have very tamed down treble. Have you looked at the MP4nation B2 or the new version Fischer DB2, or possibly the new VSonic GR01. All 3 will likely give you a detailed analytical sound with good treble and a bit more bass than the ETY HF series but not break the bank.
post #44 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by delladood View Post



I find them lacking in everything that makes a headphone sound decent.... Its just an overall "meh" headphone.  I think im actually going to keep my fxt90's and just buy a pair of ASG-1's.



I'm going to make a quick warning, the highs on the ASG-1 aren't your typical analytic highs, rather, they are on the lighter side, but do have good clarity (when audible) and sparkle, but not the best presence (they aren't in your face).  At times you do have to listen for them.  Detailing is give or take, they can do better in that regard.  Mids are analytical though, and definitely resemble Etymotic mids a lot (if you can AB them, you'll find some differences in the instrumentals).  The bass should also suite your needs. 

 

Also, I don't know if you're one to believe in burn in (brain, driver, ect), but I would burn these in at least 200 hours (to be safe) before you make any rash decisions on the signature.  They do change quite a bit. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 4/10/12 at 5:08pm
post #45 of 259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post



I'm going to make a quick warning, the highs on the ASG-1 aren't your typical analytic highs, rather, they are on the lighter side, but do have good clarity (when audible) and sparkle, but not the best presence (they aren't in your face).  At times you do have to listen for them.  Detailing is give or take, they can do better in that regard.  Mids are analytical though, and definitely resemble Etymotic mids a lot (if you can AB them, you'll find some differences in the instrumentals).  The bass should also suite your needs. 

 

Also, I don't know if you're one to believe in burn in (brain, driver, ect), but I would burn these in at least 200 hours (to be safe) before you make any rash decisions on the signature.  They do change quite a bit. 

 

I'm not very nitpicky about highs.  I can take them or leave them, as half the time they are not the main portion of the music I ride to.  The wind going 20mph pretty much takes all lows and highs and just cuts them out and leaves mids for the most part.  I'm not hypercritical about sound.  Some thing I cant stand.  but for the most part. im good with everything.  As far as burn in... The physics are there, and they arent there.  Everytime the magnets move, the diaphragm is flexed.  depending upon their flex limit, they shouldnt flex easier, or harder than they original did when first opened.  Brain burn in is 100% true.  Your ear will adjust to certain situations to perceive better.  Lets say your speaking to someone with a heavy accent. for the 1st month you wont understand a word they are saying.  In the next 2-3 months suddenly you can understand everything they say, and even carry on a conversation with them while they use words you aren't used to.  If you stand next a blaring amplifier your whole life in a rock concert, your ears will adapt and alter the sound and make it quieter to you(not to be confused with hearing loss/damage).  Adaptive and selective hearing... 

References: Physics, Audiology classes.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Your favorite IEM you own/owned [Explain Why?]