Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Dare I say Caring is Sharing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dare I say Caring is Sharing

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

Dare we speak of the evil that is "sharing" :O

post #2 of 40

I like how when you're young you're taught to share with others, and then when you get older and enter the "real world" you have to fight and struggle for survival in a world where everyone is taking advantage of each other and there's people blowing their noses with hundred dollar bills while 16,000 children die from starvation everyday.

post #3 of 40

That has always been the way in this world, sadly. Remember the phrase "survival of the fittest"? Only instead of the physically, predatory stronger ones that lives on, for humans it's the smarter, more devious ones that get to live "better". IMO.

post #4 of 40
Thread Starter 

I feel you there, I was referring more specifically to *cough* *cough* BIT TORRENT *cough* *cough*

 

but yea that is a good point... the issue [which we could makes this a political/ethical thing if we want I doubt the existence of trolls here [at least not in large numbers]]  any way the issue here is with governments... for example here in the US our government pays farmers to grow Excessive corn... this corn is then processed into Corn Syrup [which is not good for you] ... when I'm sure you could probably use all this extra corn to (I don't know) FEED PEOPLE? But the government probably wouldn't make any money off that so I'll keep dreaming (or keep my foot in my mouth ;3)

 

And back to my original thought if you do "share" you'll still need or want to purchase those nice High Quality tracks that are usually not freely floating around of there so I pay for plenty of music thank you!

post #5 of 40

Sharing through torrent, and other form of file-sharing services, are technically legal and nothing wrong with it. It's like sharing back to the old days of CDs and physical media, only now it's through the internet. It's when, IMO, it's being 'shared' to the whole wide world that it starts to hurt musicians, game developers, movie directors, etc. But it is quite hard to feel love for some of the more richer, successful game publisher, music label, etc., at least that's the case for me. And besides, pirating will always be there, no matter what the MAFIAA, game developers, or government do.

 

Personally, at least for games, I am buying them already, and if I can't afford it, I'll just wait for the inevitable Steam sales. As for music though... well, my teenage habit is quite hard to kick away. :D Moives I don't care anyways, as nothing truly interesting as anime, for me.

 

P.S. I'm now 20 smth, so money isn't too big of a problem with proper, tightly monitored budget.


Edited by jgray91 - 4/9/12 at 7:26am
post #6 of 40
Thread Starter 

Ahh do you really Live in Russia if so *bows* I love me some Russian Torrent communities! I have to keep Google translate open 24/7 but man those guys keep there stuff seeded! Also I believe Legal Sounds is Russian owned [that's why there stuff like .09cents] Still though SOPA has really screwed us over here in the States, I hear for you guys there's not much anti-piracy... just a 1-2% tax on electronic media related devices... which sounds more reasonable then wasting money trying to prevent "piracy" Still though everything everywhere has it's pro's and con's

 

& "sharing" goes I don't care to share Games, or Movies. Music is most of what I hunt for an the occasional Anime... although I got kicked out of my anime site due to my crappy upLoad Speed xD

So I need to either get a new Computer or a new MAC address xD

 

But jGray where do you like to get your Music and Anime From? I used BakaBT but again crappy upload speed got my kicked out... [or rather couldn't pay the electric bill to upload enough ;3]

post #7 of 40

I don't think I should openly discuss this so here comes some PMs.

post #8 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

That has always been the way in this world, sadly. Remember the phrase "survival of the fittest"? Only instead of the physically, predatory stronger ones that lives on, for humans it's the smarter, more devious ones that get to live "better". IMO.


This is true of the past, but right now nothing could be further from reality.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

I feel you there, I was referring more specifically to *cough* *cough* BIT TORRENT *cough* *cough*

 

but yea that is a good point... the issue [which we could makes this a political/ethical thing if we want I doubt the existence of trolls here [at least not in large numbers]]  any way the issue here is with governments... for example here in the US our government pays farmers to grow Excessive corn... this corn is then processed into Corn Syrup [which is not good for you] ... when I'm sure you could probably use all this extra corn to (I don't know) FEED PEOPLE? But the government probably wouldn't make any money off that so I'll keep dreaming (or keep my foot in my mouth ;3)

 

And back to my original thought if you do "share" you'll still need or want to purchase those nice High Quality tracks that are usually not freely floating around of there so I pay for plenty of music thank you!


The issue isn't governments, it's money itself. Money is a totally obsolete human invention that is now holding us back and  giving people reasons to screw each other over. Until we get rid of it, we will keep on living in the dark ages. The truth is, we could easily grow enough food to feed everyone on the planet. All we'd have to do is install a few wind turbines (one of many alternative energy technologies) and we could generate 40x the worldwide demand for electricity. But then they wouldn't be able to charge you an electric bill or get you to buy a Big Mac (then later in life you can pay them thousands for medical expenses). The electric car was invented in the 1800's! In the early 20th century somebody invented a light bulb that can last 100 years or more. Surprise surprise, neither of those things are in common use because you can't exploit people with them. Yup, there's no "profit" in ending hunger, curing disease, preventing crime, or doing anything that makes a shred of sense, but in reality we have the ability and technology to end (or at least start ending) all of those things.

 

Not totally off topic, because this is directly related to sharing media too ;) I'm a poor college student. There's no way I could ever afford to buy 100's of CDs. Does that mean I don't "deserve" or "have a right" to listen to the music I like? There's absolutely no reason why music, movies, games, or anything in this world has to "cost" anything, except that we make it so.


Edited by manveru - 4/9/12 at 5:35pm
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post
There's no way I could ever afford to buy 100's of CDs. Does that mean I don't "deserve" or have a right to listen to the music I like? 

You don't earn the right to have something because you want it.

 

post #10 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

You don't earn the right to have something because you want it.


Earning and rights are irrelevant. They don't exist. Nobody needs to "earn" anything. Nobody "owns" anything. Does anybody own the oxygen you breathe? Do you have to "earn the right" to have it? Those are just made up ideas that only serve to perpetuate the existence of a percentage of the population having an advantage over another. If I walked into a record store and asked for a CD, but they refused to give me one because I'm not going to "pay" for it, they just stole that CD from me.


Edited by manveru - 4/9/12 at 3:07pm
post #11 of 40

I don't understand how you could consider this CD as stolen. Surely the concept of theft is reliant on the made up ideas of both ownership and rights. 

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

I don't understand how you could consider this CD as stolen. Surely the concept of theft is reliant on the made up ideas of both ownership and rights. 

 

and physical objects....

post #13 of 40

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

I don't understand how you could consider this CD as stolen. Surely the concept of theft is reliant on the made up ideas of both ownership and rights. 


Yes, the example only makes sense under certain conditions. I apologize. I think maybe the way I structured my response wasn't quite clear. I also think it is correct to say that the concept of theft only exists under certain conditions. Of course, the necessity for such concepts is dependent on the availability of the object in question. If the object is scarce, then there will be stealing and ownership etc. In the case of music, it's not scarce. Digital copies can be distributed and copied to infinity. As for people who want physical media, I've never heard of a shortage before or there being some kind of lack in our ability to produce it, and it's my understanding that it's been on the decline since the advent of digital downloads anyway.

post #14 of 40
Thread Starter 

Mmm good conversation ^^

 

My point is though with regards to digital media... if you stick it in the Internet you give up your rights as well as what ever ownership you had over it... why BECAUSE IT'S ON THE INTERNET. Granted I understand copyright. If some one downloaded my music and attempted to sell it as their own... well clearly that's wrong. The same goes for people who download music off the Internet and sell it to their friends, same with movies games ect... granted some things are obtained with risks [music not being an incredibly high risk mind you] so I suppose some people would say "gatta factor in the risk I took, and the risk you avoided" so in that situation what ever [I buy my games movies ect...] 

 

In addition, I have MANY live Recordings of GREAT bands and they are GREAT performances but... my recordings even at .flac [which many are crummy 192kps if im lucky] never compare to actually being there in person, so Concerts merchandise and Hard Copy CD's and Vinyls [physical things] are what make the artist the money, here's a prime example

 

I got a good bit of N-Type off the interwebs...  half of it is 128kps crap so when I can afford to BUY High Quality... I'm certainly going to!

 

In addition to the lack of food, it's the government my friend WHY because the government wants money :D. Money=power & vice versa, generally poor people don't win elections... simply because they don't have the funds to compete with richer candidates, but either way you look at it money makes the world go round... while it holds back technological advancements and what not so :/ you win some you lose some I guess

 

Still great to hear some good conversation

 

Also, yea Physical Audio Recordings are dying <.< and well worth buying! Hopefully 10 years from now, all these dime a dozen pop stars will be all digital, leaving Music stores with only good music to sell physical copies of. [Also our spell checker sux >.>]

post #15 of 40

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

 

In addition to the lack of food, it's the government my friend WHY because the government wants money :D. Money=power & vice versa, generally poor people don't win elections... simply because they don't have the funds to compete with richer candidates, but either way you look at it money makes the world go round... while it holds back technological advancements and what not so :/ you win some you lose some I guess


I think you're missing my point earlier :) Money doesn't make the world go round. It's food, water, air, and resources that make the world go round. If all the money in the world suddenly vanished tomorrow, would the human race go extinct? Would they starve to death because they couldn't buy food at the supermarket? No of course not, because everything we need to survive and enrich our lives would still be there. Money doesn't actually do or represent anything; it's completely disconnected from our physical reality or anything that truly matters. By holding back technological advancements and creating war, poverty, and disease and what not, money is driving the world into the ground.


Edited by manveru - 4/10/12 at 12:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Dare I say Caring is Sharing