Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 667

post #9991 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

Thanks Kothganesh

 

BTW another question.

 

The PYST RCA is for connecting the Magni to the Modi right?

To connect the magni/modi to the macbook pro, do I need to buy the USB PYST as well?

 

Thanks

For the connect from the laptop to the Modi (I guess you will go laptop -->DAC --> Amp), you will need the USB PYST.

post #9992 of 18107

aha, well, unfortunately im out of town in a hotel until friday night!!!! stuck with a fiio e17, needless to say, it looks like the shure 840+e17 may go back up for sale, hope the dac destroyer plus sx727- which has been redone by the way, out of my desktop, will sound better. Oh and plus the velour changeout too! I really really really want to like these

post #9993 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

i sure hope these drastically change with the velours, i just put them on for the first time, going latop-foobar2000-fiio e17 on gain 12 and 0 eq, and am absolutely dissapointed in the lack of everything.

 

If they lack everything then you need to turn volume up.  :P

post #9994 of 18107

haha ya, well at 60 on a fiio e17, craaaaaazy distortion, no good

post #9995 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

haha ya, well at 60 on a fiio e17, craaaaaazy distortion, no good

Are you seriously running +12 gain at 60/60 vol on E17, through the HE400? What are you trying to turn them into loudspeakers?

post #9996 of 18107
Not that I was listening at 60, but I kept upping the volume because the dynamics and detail, even the soundstage, that everyone raves about just was not there at all. Like I said, just off a 45 minute listen, I think the hd598s just out class these. I really hope they grow on me, and scale well, because the sx727 and dac destroyer + pc, make my shures even sound alot better, I need to try that asap. I wanted to wait and get used to these on the pleathers, but I don't know if I can take it, I need to see what the velours do, and really hope they take these where I want them to go. I had/have big plans for these if they change with time, brain burn in. Wood surrounds and sliders, nice grills, rich comfy sheepskin headband. And so on and so fourth. I have heard that some felt the same as me, so I suppose I just need time. I just find it odd that the hd598s impressed me so much more, but I suppose the e17 could be my weak link, and people here just have overhyped it as a viable source. But, I am fairly new to this field, so I'm probably just wrong all together, or inexperienced shall I say. I love the journey to end game, but my god it is stressful!
post #9997 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

haha ya, well at 60 on a fiio e17, craaaaaazy distortion, no good

Strange.

When i run my FIio E17 with the HE-400 on max volume i only get distortion in some songs.

What is your source? What sort of music you listen to? Are you sure both the Fiio and the HE-400 are legit?

post #9998 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Are you seriously running +12 gain at 60/60 vol on E17, through the HE400? What are you trying to turn them into loudspeakers?

No I got to about 50, what's odd is, I have noticed that through USB out, on my laptop my volume is lower, but, my desktop is always louder, I've checked the USB port specs and they're the same between the two, but there is absolutely a noticeable difference between pc and laptop with the e17. I wish I was at home so I could run the desktop and my pioneer.
post #9999 of 18107
Definitely legit, the e17 was brand new from amazon, the he400 is from headamp. I ran only flac through them, and tracks I know very very well.
post #10000 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Not that I was listening at 60, but I kept upping the volume because the dynamics and detail, even the soundstage, that everyone raves about just was not there at all. Like I said, just off a 45 minute listen, I think the hd598s just out class these. I really hope they grow on me, and scale well, because the sx727 and dac destroyer + pc, make my shures even sound alot better, I need to try that asap. I wanted to wait and get used to these on the pleathers, but I don't know if I can take it, I need to see what the velours do, and really hope they take these where I want them to go. I had/have big plans for these if they change with time, brain burn in. Wood surrounds and sliders, nice grills, rich comfy sheepskin headband. And so on and so fourth. I have heard that some felt the same as me, so I suppose I just need time. I just find it odd that the hd598s impressed me so much more, but I suppose the e17 could be my weak link, and people here just have overhyped it as a viable source. But, I am fairly new to this field, so I'm probably just wrong all together, or inexperienced shall I say. I love the journey to end game, but my god it is stressful!

What kinds of music do you judge headphones by? HE400 is objectively more coloured than HD598s, so if you innately prefer a more neutral sound (especially in the midrange~treble balance) it would make a lot of sense that you prefer the Senns. I would say the planars have an upper hand in dynamics and detail compared to bread-and-butter dynamics like the Senn HD5/6XXs, but just have different rather than "better" soundstage presentation. 

 

Overall there are a ton of subjective preferential factors involved here that influence how you feel about the HE400's sound. It is a very capable 'phone, but it carries quirks with it.

post #10001 of 18107
Well, like I said, I need to try these on a different source all together, as well as get used to their signature. Also, I need to change to velours. I would like to spend a few days with the pleathers though, just so I know what differences I hear. I also have been awake for 20 hours, and worked/drove a lot today, my ears may just be tired. As far as music goes by for judgment, I always go to Alice in chains MTV unplugged album
post #10002 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Well, like I said, I need to try these on a different source all together, as well as get used to their signature. Also, I need to change to velours. I would like to spend a few days with the pleathers though, just so I know what differences I hear. I also have been awake for 20 hours, and worked/drove a lot today, my ears may just be tired. As far as music goes by for judgment, I always go to Alice in chains MTV unplugged album

 

Good album for testing purposes. I'm pretty sure you'll notice the difference between the pleathers and velours no problem. With me when I first received my HE-400 I slapped on the velours first thing and used them that way for a few months. I then decided to check out the pleather pads for giggles, never again. They sounded really bad. Since then I've done the Jergpad mod and I don't feel the need to even go back to velour! Long story short, pads make a difference.

post #10003 of 18107

Someone needs to start selling the Jergpad; I'm too lazy to do it myself!

post #10004 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Well, like I said, I need to try these on a different source all together, as well as get used to their signature. Also, I need to change to velours. I would like to spend a few days with the pleathers though, just so I know what differences I hear. I also have been awake for 20 hours, and worked/drove a lot today, my ears may just be tired. As far as music goes by for judgment, I always go to Alice in chains MTV unplugged album

Its quite strange but yes, everyone has their own mind about sound.

Personally i changed the pleathers to some beyerdynamic velours and so far im dissapointed in the audio change. 

I think i prefered the pleather since for me, the velour makes them too bright (and in general it seems i dont like brightness).

 

As for different sources, i got the E17 and an asgard amp.

I definitly like it more on the asgard, but dont expect night and day diference. Rather a 15%-20% improvement in some areas.

 

I enjoy the HE-400 but its fatiguating for me most of the time, so i might need a more relaxed siganture for resting my mind after work... perhaps the HD600. We will see :D.

post #10005 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Well, like I said, I need to try these on a different source all together, as well as get used to their signature. Also, I need to change to velours. I would like to spend a few days with the pleathers though, just so I know what differences I hear. I also have been awake for 20 hours, and worked/drove a lot today, my ears may just be tired. As far as music goes by for judgment, I always go to Alice in chains MTV unplugged album


How loud do you listen? With 12 gain you shouldn't listen at more than 30 or so.

 

Regarding pleather and velours, I think you will notice no more than what might be a pleasant difference sound wise. Not night/day. Same goes with better amping.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**