Has anyone heard both the Sennheiser HD 700/800 and the HE-400 in a comparison? The newest Senn's driver technology is interesting. I don't have $1,000 or more for headphones, but I am curious about which are 'better'.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes I did, out of the three I like HD700 the best. HE400 have recessed mid for my taste, HD800 is too hot (maybe it's due to my dac/amp but I don't want have $2K dac amp setup to match it) and HD700 sounds just perfect for my taste.
Senn's phone are also more comfortable to wear.
HD700 doesn't employ the same tech as the HD800, which isn't new tech anyways. I've only had a brief time with the HD700. In short, it's like the anti-HE-400. Whereas HE-400 is most withdrawn in the 5khz area, HD700 has the biggest peak imaginable in the 5khz area. It makes it waaaay too aggressive for my tastes, and really sibilant as well. The earpads are also pleather/leather? and not as big as the HD800. I prefer the HD800's comfort to HD700.
Edited by TMRaven - 4/21/13 at 9:03am
There just shouldn't be an emphasis in the upper midrange. It's positively grating .
The Koss ESP950 is in that price range, and there are people who prefer that over even the HD800 and HE500/HE6.
Im about to get them on loan, and from what I've been reading, they seem to be the it cans for that price range, even coming with it's own amp.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:17pm
I haven't heard of one person be anything but impressed by them. The SR407 also looks and feels like crap, but that sound I assure you is basically on par with high tier dynamics. Helps with the knowledge of knowing that it sounds the same (same drivers) as the SR507 which costs $1000 itself.
Koss has a no questions asked lifetime warranty, so that's another thing to feel good about the ESP 950.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:49pm
And they definitely do have a classic studio can look, with huuge earpads. Wonder why the bass rolls off so much even when they have 7 inch drivers.
How much do they weigh? If they were rather light, I feel as though I'd put them off too easily as too plasticy.
When they go on sale for around 700 though, that's like the best deal ever.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 9:03pm
Considering you get basically a distortion free, clear as a bell electrostat with it's own amplifier... $700 is quite a deal. I'm willing to bet the closest 'stat alternative would be the SR-407 with SRM-252S that I'm currently demoing, and that combo is near if not at $1000.
I'm starting to appreciate its look more and more, plus I found out that it weighs 352g, making it around the same weight as the HD800. That's a nice weight in my book, not something light and and fragile feeling like the HD600/650.
Plus look at this FR against the Orpheus (red).
It's damn near linear except for that bass rolloff and treble above 10khz.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 40 seconds ago
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 1 minute ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003i + Comply Tips 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 8 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)