Has anyone heard both the Sennheiser HD 700/800 and the HE-400 in a comparison? The newest Senn's driver technology is interesting. I don't have $1,000 or more for headphones, but I am curious about which are 'better'.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Hi All, I have done a video review of Hifiman HM901. Thanks for watching :)
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes I did, out of the three I like HD700 the best. HE400 have recessed mid for my taste, HD800 is too hot (maybe it's due to my dac/amp but I don't want have $2K dac amp setup to match it) and HD700 sounds just perfect for my taste.
Senn's phone are also more comfortable to wear.
HD700 doesn't employ the same tech as the HD800, which isn't new tech anyways. I've only had a brief time with the HD700. In short, it's like the anti-HE-400. Whereas HE-400 is most withdrawn in the 5khz area, HD700 has the biggest peak imaginable in the 5khz area. It makes it waaaay too aggressive for my tastes, and really sibilant as well. The earpads are also pleather/leather? and not as big as the HD800. I prefer the HD800's comfort to HD700.
Edited by TMRaven - 4/21/13 at 9:03am
There just shouldn't be an emphasis in the upper midrange. It's positively grating .
The Koss ESP950 is in that price range, and there are people who prefer that over even the HD800 and HE500/HE6.
Im about to get them on loan, and from what I've been reading, they seem to be the it cans for that price range, even coming with it's own amp.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:17pm
I haven't heard of one person be anything but impressed by them. The SR407 also looks and feels like crap, but that sound I assure you is basically on par with high tier dynamics. Helps with the knowledge of knowing that it sounds the same (same drivers) as the SR507 which costs $1000 itself.
Koss has a no questions asked lifetime warranty, so that's another thing to feel good about the ESP 950.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:49pm
And they definitely do have a classic studio can look, with huuge earpads. Wonder why the bass rolls off so much even when they have 7 inch drivers.
How much do they weigh? If they were rather light, I feel as though I'd put them off too easily as too plasticy.
When they go on sale for around 700 though, that's like the best deal ever.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 9:03pm
Considering you get basically a distortion free, clear as a bell electrostat with it's own amplifier... $700 is quite a deal. I'm willing to bet the closest 'stat alternative would be the SR-407 with SRM-252S that I'm currently demoing, and that combo is near if not at $1000.
I'm starting to appreciate its look more and more, plus I found out that it weighs 352g, making it around the same weight as the HD800. That's a nice weight in my book, not something light and and fragile feeling like the HD600/650.
Plus look at this FR against the Orpheus (red).
It's damn near linear except for that bass rolloff and treble above 10khz.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! 19 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 22 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 49 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › 9/13/14 Lawrence, Kansas Headfi meeting Impression. 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones fast and slow 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 4 minutes ago
- › Vintage Orthodynamic Yamaha HP-1 [European] 5 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › beyerdynamic DTX 350 p Portable Headphones by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)