Has anyone heard both the Sennheiser HD 700/800 and the HE-400 in a comparison? The newest Senn's driver technology is interesting. I don't have $1,000 or more for headphones, but I am curious about which are 'better'.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
Heir audio was once thought to be the next king of IEMs. Rave reviews was floating everywhere online. The air around these IEMs were so enticing that one who has never heard them would be drawn to...
I have to say, as introduction: I'm not an audiophile, just an "enhanced" user with more than 20 years of analogic and digital listen. I use mainly portable devices, some Fii amplifier, and I...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9917 of 153074/21/13 at 8:00am
Yes I did, out of the three I like HD700 the best. HE400 have recessed mid for my taste, HD800 is too hot (maybe it's due to my dac/amp but I don't want have $2K dac amp setup to match it) and HD700 sounds just perfect for my taste.
Senn's phone are also more comfortable to wear.post #9918 of 153074/21/13 at 8:35am
HD700 doesn't employ the same tech as the HD800, which isn't new tech anyways. I've only had a brief time with the HD700. In short, it's like the anti-HE-400. Whereas HE-400 is most withdrawn in the 5khz area, HD700 has the biggest peak imaginable in the 5khz area. It makes it waaaay too aggressive for my tastes, and really sibilant as well. The earpads are also pleather/leather? and not as big as the HD800. I prefer the HD800's comfort to HD700.
Edited by TMRaven - 4/21/13 at 9:03ampost #9919 of 153074/21/13 at 1:13pmAfter what I've read of the HD700 and so many negative reviews on it, that's one headphone I know I will never try.
There just shouldn't be an emphasis in the upper midrange. It's positively grating .
The Koss ESP950 is in that price range, and there are people who prefer that over even the HD800 and HE500/HE6.
Im about to get them on loan, and from what I've been reading, they seem to be the it cans for that price range, even coming with it's own amp.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:17pmpost #9920 of 153074/21/13 at 1:39pmpost #9921 of 153074/21/13 at 1:47pmLooks? I don't argue that. They aren't pretty. But sounds?
I haven't heard of one person be anything but impressed by them. The SR407 also looks and feels like crap, but that sound I assure you is basically on par with high tier dynamics. Helps with the knowledge of knowing that it sounds the same (same drivers) as the SR507 which costs $1000 itself.
Koss has a no questions asked lifetime warranty, so that's another thing to feel good about the ESP 950.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:49pmpost #9922 of 153074/21/13 at 2:19pmpost #9923 of 153074/21/13 at 2:30pmpost #9924 of 153074/21/13 at 3:05pmpost #9925 of 153074/21/13 at 3:07pmpost #9926 of 153074/21/13 at 3:14pm
And they definitely do have a classic studio can look, with huuge earpads. Wonder why the bass rolls off so much even when they have 7 inch drivers.
How much do they weigh? If they were rather light, I feel as though I'd put them off too easily as too plasticy.
When they go on sale for around 700 though, that's like the best deal ever.post #9927 of 153074/21/13 at 8:58pmpost #9928 of 153074/21/13 at 9:01pmConsidering you get basically a distortion free, clear as a bell electrostat with it's own amplifier... $700 is quite a deal. I'm willing to bet the closest 'stat alternative would be the SR-407 with SRM-252S that I'm currently demoing, and that combo is near if not at $1000.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 9:03pmpost #9929 of 153074/21/13 at 9:06pmQuote:I know, if I had the money I might pick one up, I was just saying how most people spend an upwards of one thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine pennies on their headphones...Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Considering you get basically a distortion free, clear as a bell electrostat with it's own amplifier... $700 is quite a deal. I'm willing to bet the closest 'stat alternative would be the SR-407 with SRM-252S that I'm currently demoing, and that combo is near if not at $1000.post #9930 of 153074/21/13 at 9:51pm
I'm starting to appreciate its look more and more, plus I found out that it weighs 352g, making it around the same weight as the HD800. That's a nice weight in my book, not something light and and fragile feeling like the HD600/650.
Plus look at this FR against the Orpheus (red).
It's damn near linear except for that bass rolloff and treble above 10khz.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Legendary synergy? 19 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 LA/SoCal Regional Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014,... 47 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) 2 minutes ago
- › WTS: Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X GPU 2 minutes ago
- › Lightning Cables - Official and Custom (welcomed). 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by HPuser9083
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe