Has anyone heard both the Sennheiser HD 700/800 and the HE-400 in a comparison? The newest Senn's driver technology is interesting. I don't have $1,000 or more for headphones, but I am curious about which are 'better'.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9917 of 167024/21/13 at 8:00am
Yes I did, out of the three I like HD700 the best. HE400 have recessed mid for my taste, HD800 is too hot (maybe it's due to my dac/amp but I don't want have $2K dac amp setup to match it) and HD700 sounds just perfect for my taste.
Senn's phone are also more comfortable to wear.post #9918 of 167024/21/13 at 8:35am
HD700 doesn't employ the same tech as the HD800, which isn't new tech anyways. I've only had a brief time with the HD700. In short, it's like the anti-HE-400. Whereas HE-400 is most withdrawn in the 5khz area, HD700 has the biggest peak imaginable in the 5khz area. It makes it waaaay too aggressive for my tastes, and really sibilant as well. The earpads are also pleather/leather? and not as big as the HD800. I prefer the HD800's comfort to HD700.
Edited by TMRaven - 4/21/13 at 9:03ampost #9919 of 167024/21/13 at 1:13pmAfter what I've read of the HD700 and so many negative reviews on it, that's one headphone I know I will never try.
There just shouldn't be an emphasis in the upper midrange. It's positively grating .
The Koss ESP950 is in that price range, and there are people who prefer that over even the HD800 and HE500/HE6.
Im about to get them on loan, and from what I've been reading, they seem to be the it cans for that price range, even coming with it's own amp.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:17pmpost #9920 of 167024/21/13 at 1:39pmpost #9921 of 167024/21/13 at 1:47pmLooks? I don't argue that. They aren't pretty. But sounds?
I haven't heard of one person be anything but impressed by them. The SR407 also looks and feels like crap, but that sound I assure you is basically on par with high tier dynamics. Helps with the knowledge of knowing that it sounds the same (same drivers) as the SR507 which costs $1000 itself.
Koss has a no questions asked lifetime warranty, so that's another thing to feel good about the ESP 950.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 1:49pmpost #9922 of 167024/21/13 at 2:19pmpost #9923 of 167024/21/13 at 2:30pmpost #9924 of 167024/21/13 at 3:05pmpost #9925 of 167024/21/13 at 3:07pmpost #9926 of 167024/21/13 at 3:14pm
And they definitely do have a classic studio can look, with huuge earpads. Wonder why the bass rolls off so much even when they have 7 inch drivers.
How much do they weigh? If they were rather light, I feel as though I'd put them off too easily as too plasticy.
When they go on sale for around 700 though, that's like the best deal ever.post #9927 of 167024/21/13 at 8:58pmpost #9928 of 167024/21/13 at 9:01pmConsidering you get basically a distortion free, clear as a bell electrostat with it's own amplifier... $700 is quite a deal. I'm willing to bet the closest 'stat alternative would be the SR-407 with SRM-252S that I'm currently demoing, and that combo is near if not at $1000.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/21/13 at 9:03pmpost #9929 of 167024/21/13 at 9:06pmQuote:I know, if I had the money I might pick one up, I was just saying how most people spend an upwards of one thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine pennies on their headphones...Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Considering you get basically a distortion free, clear as a bell electrostat with it's own amplifier... $700 is quite a deal. I'm willing to bet the closest 'stat alternative would be the SR-407 with SRM-252S that I'm currently demoing, and that combo is near if not at $1000.post #9930 of 167024/21/13 at 9:51pm
I'm starting to appreciate its look more and more, plus I found out that it weighs 352g, making it around the same weight as the HD800. That's a nice weight in my book, not something light and and fragile feeling like the HD600/650.
Plus look at this FR against the Orpheus (red).
It's damn near linear except for that bass rolloff and treble above 10khz.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 1 minute ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 2 minutes ago
- › best under $200 over-ear headphones for my needs 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Speakers or monitors for audiophile experience? 3 minutes ago
- › Should I buy a Philips SHO5300BK ?? 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 4 minutes ago
- › iriver AK120 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude