Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 628

post #9406 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeVeeN View Post

First impressions with HE-400 + Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband (for comfort):

Comfort level absolutely skyrockets. Treble seems tamer than even the velours, female vocals don't seem as lacking and the soundstage becomes ridiculous. Seems like there's less bass though, oddly.

Edit: Actually the bass is debatable so far. Some songs it seems a bit muddier but other times it seems like it's more accurate due to the decrease. Might be the songs I'm using though.

Wondering if I should return the Mad Dogs and get the Alpha Pads; ~$75 investment, bringing HE-400 total to $490 (due to shipping + velour pads on headdirect, which was the only site that had it in stock at the time).

Though there does seem to be a bit of a heat issue with the Alpha Pads on the HE-400; there is no heat issue with the Mad Dogs oddly.

Sounds promising :)

post #9407 of 18107

Doing a little comparison of the HE-400 and my new HD600 they do sound nothing alike which is what I was expecting and counting on because I wanted a more laid back signature with the HD600 compared to the HE-400.

 

I was wanting to see if the HD600 could compete with the HE-400's detail and while the HD600 had more detail than I was expecting from a lot of the review I've read they still didn't have the micro detail of the HE-400 which has as much detail as many of the balanced armature IEM's I had that are known for being detailed.  Now the treble on the HD600 was another surprise to me as its quite crisp and detailed but again the HE-400 is just a bit better with more of the micro detail though quite a few people would probably prefer the 600's highs over the HE-400.

 

Bass again is better on the HE-400 with more impact and depth but the bass on the HD600 is natural and neutral which works with the over all sound of the HP.

 

Lastly we come to the mids (I'm not going to get into soundstage as both a spacious and good) which I give to the HD600 but it was closer than I was liking because the HD600 is known for their mids.  The 600's mids are smooth, forward and detailed with very clean sounding vocals and in the HE-400 the lower mids are more forward but then the upper mids take a step back all the way tell the lower treble come in but it doesn't hurt the sound and I like it with many of the more energetic trance on house I listen to.

 

Ok I'm done now biggrin.gif

post #9408 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeVeeN View Post

First impressions with HE-400 + Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband (for comfort):

Comfort level absolutely skyrockets. Treble seems tamer than even the velours, female vocals don't seem as lacking and the soundstage becomes ridiculous. Seems like there's less bass though, oddly.

Edit: Actually the bass is debatable so far. Some songs it seems a bit muddier but other times it seems like it's more accurate due to the decrease. Might be the songs I'm using though.

Are these impressions before or after break-in? That bass starts to free up a LOT after a few hundred hours of break in.

post #9409 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

 

No, they aren't overcharging. To the contrary, their pricing on most other components are below MSRP. However, be prepared for local sales tax. And if you're nice enough, you may get a 2-5% break on the price :)

 

I'm sure they'd be happy to let you bring your own equipment. 

post #9410 of 18107
Alpha Pads vs Velours (Pads compared TO velours)

Note that my sound preference (mainly treble fatigue) may be heavily biased towards Alpha Pads due to the increased comfort whereas the velours fatigue me due to jaw clamp, but I do think most of my points are fairly correct.

For CERTAIN: Increased soundstage. Female vocals no longer sound nasally-ish. Highs are more tame (tested this on one specific song). Wish I could make a frequency response graph so I can be certain on some things, like bass. Can't tell if its muddier, if it decreased, or it increased. It is still colored though (if I compare them to my ES3X which are known for its Westone signature aka neutral but emphasized mids). Headphone sounds more full overall though.

Test songs:

Piano sounds more natural (due to the improved mids). Sounds like I'm in the theaters / the director of the orchestra due to improved sound stage. Bass sounds more full, the bass (at certain parts of the song) actually RESONATES, which I can hardly notice in the velours. Resonates as in it's as if someone hit the bass drum without dampening it (though on some bass drums that gives a muddied effect. Not so with this, I don't think. It's hard to tell).


Simply put, vocals sound much better. Much more forward. When they do that sound thing that makes her voice echo, it sounds like it's actually at a distance rather than coming from the driver (don't take this as the bible though. It still does sound like you're wearing headphones. I have yet to experience a headphone that doesn't give me that impression). Voice is also no longer sibilant at the parts where they were with the velours, especially when she extends notes.


I tested the treble with this song. Simply put, not as ear piercing.


This is the one song I don't understand. Bass sounds weaker whereas the other songs it sounded stronger. The ramping up of the bass also isn't as apparently (where the bass hits and goes up like 20hz). With this song though I noticed her voice was no longer nasally.


Has to be my favorite vocal trance song. Any HP I listen to HAS to do this song justice. Mids no longer nasally and are no longer thin sounding. Cymbals resonate and decay into the background realistically, whereas the velours sounded more artificial. There are a few sibilant parts with the velours ("an endlesSS mySStery"), no longer bothers me with Alpha Pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutk View Post

Are these impressions before or after break-in? That bass starts to free up a LOT after a few hundred hours of break in.

I'd say they went through about 50 hours of pink noise so far. That was with the Alpha Pads though, not the velours. Some parts seem muddier, but what's weird is that they don't bleed into the vocals or everything. Might just be me being used to the velours at first. And then again, in other songs the impact is decreased. ?!

They look ridiculous with the Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband by the way. Looks pretty stock, not so pretty modded.

I can ABSOLUTELY SAY though that I no longer feel a bit light-headed due to fatigue with the Alpha Pads. Whether that's due to jaw clamp or the excess treble with the velours, I don't know.
Edited by AyeVeeN - 4/4/13 at 4:53pm
post #9411 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

Doing a little comparison of the HE-400 and my new HD600 they do sound nothing alike which is what I was expecting and counting on because I wanted a more laid back signature with the HD600 compared to the HE-400.

I was wanting to see if the HD600 could compete with the HE-400's detail and while the HD600 had more detail than I was expecting from a lot of the review I've read they still didn't have the micro detail of the HE-400 which has as much detail as many of the balanced armature IEM's I had that are known for being detailed.  Now the treble on the HD600 was another surprise to me as its quite crisp and detailed but again the HE-400 is just a bit better with more of the micro detail though quite a few people would probably prefer the 600's highs over the HE-400.

Bass again is better on the HE-400 with more impact and depth but the bass on the HD600 is natural and neutral which works with the over all sound of the HP.

Lastly we come to the mids (I'm not going to get into soundstage as both a spacious and good) which I give to the HD600 but it was closer than I was liking because the HD600 is known for their mids.  The 600's mids are smooth, forward and detailed with very clean sounding vocals and in the HE-400 the lower mids are more forward but then the upper mids take a step back all the way tell the lower treble come in but it doesn't hurt the sound and I like it with many of the more energetic trance on house I listen to.

Ok I'm done now biggrin.gif

Here's my experience: I had the HD-600's but sold them, as they were collecting dust after I bought the HE-400's. I agree the HD 600's have better mids and more upfront vocals than the HE-400's. However, I found the instrument separation on the HE-400's to be irresistible. I feel like I can hear a lot more detail because of it. The HE-400 can maintain that separation and detail even on the fastest and most complex songs. The HD-600 struggles in comparison. So we agree on micro detail as well. I also preferred the Grado like attack of the HE-400 treble, and the HE-400 bigger bass. Again, I think our opinions are pretty close. The HD 600's are more accurate but I prefer the coloration of the HE-400's. The HE-400's are just more enjoyable for me. Both are great phones. It's just a matter of personal preference, as to which is better.
post #9412 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutk View Post

Are these impressions before or after break-in? That bass starts to free up a LOT after a few hundred hours of break in.


Great to know.... I A|B'd them with my cheapo Superlux HD-662 (aka fat DT-770's) and the lux had more of everything.

I'm running mine through Isotek to speed up the break-in process.

post #9413 of 18107

Does the HE400 change with break in? I know it says 150 hrs., but that is a long time.  What changes are there?

post #9414 of 18107

I know Isotek sped up the break-in time of my first pair of cans the other month

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html

 

Quote from the review """""""" Does it work? To be mean to Rethm's stone-cold-outa-the-boxes Saadhanas, I leashed them up to a FirstWatt F3 driven direct from Ancient Audio's Lektor Prime CD player. No active preamp, no power triodes, brand-new Lowthers - if ever there was a recipe for leanness and thus, dire need for body, warmth and harmonic development, this what it. Two nocturnal sessions later, the DX55s already sang without asking for an extra injection of thermionic glow. Those familiar with these drivers will appreciate that nothing else needs saying to proclaim the IsoTek disc a complete success.


There's no way to know how many tedious hours of suboptimal music playback are saved, exactly, by spinning the IsoTek disc. """""

 

 

 

I also got this model of Beyer pads as an image on google images led to a thread on this forum and the modder suggested this older model velour

as being an exact fit for the HFM's. Wearing pleather is impossible where I am due to humidity.

Beyerdynamic EDT990V

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290884016485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649


Edited by Lohb - 4/4/13 at 9:02pm
post #9415 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBuck View Post


Here's my experience: I had the HD-600's but sold them, as they were collecting dust after I bought the HE-400's. I agree the HD 600's have better mids and more upfront vocals than the HE-400's. However, I found the instrument separation on the HE-400's to be irresistible. I feel like I can hear a lot more detail because of it. The HE-400 can maintain that separation and detail even on the fastest and most complex songs. The HD-600 struggles in comparison. So we agree on micro detail as well. I also preferred the Grado like attack of the HE-400 treble, and the HE-400 bigger bass. Again, I think our opinions are pretty close. The HD 600's are more accurate but I prefer the coloration of the HE-400's. The HE-400's are just more enjoyable for me. Both are great phones. It's just a matter of personal preference, as to which is better.

 

I totally agree with you on the separation and the imaging is also better on the HE-400.  The HE-400 is the technically better headphone but the HD600 has such a smooth sound that still has enough detail to make them just a joy to listen to for me and I'm glad I have both.

post #9416 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

Does the HE400 change with break in? I know it says 150 hrs., but that is a long time.  What changes are there?

Yes, it most certainly does. 150 hours isn't that much (~1 week) if you consider running it all day with any source. Since they're fantastic out of the box, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it while it's not sitting on the side breaking in. Break-in will make the sound open up a lot and will make your bass more detailed and articulate. Think of it as stretching. 

post #9417 of 18107
After 7000 hours, the HE400 sounds like the HE6. Just saying.
post #9418 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

After 7000 hours, the HE400 sounds like the HE6. Just saying.


funny biggrin.gif

post #9419 of 18107

After using the HD600 for most of the day since I I'm seeing how the HE-400 pair with the C3 and from the way this first mix sounds its a match made in heaven and to be honest with you I don't know if I'm going to keep the HD600.  Now its only been a day and odds are high that I do keep them I'm just trying to convey how damn good the HE-400 sounds.  

 

I really need to look into getting an ungraded cable for them, I'm thinking a silver plated copper cable because pure silver or gold for that matter I think will make the treble to bright but silver plated copper will give them a touch more crispness but the over all clarity among all frequencies will be improved.  Then again a pure good copper cable like 7N UP OCC that's shorter at around 4 or 5 feet would do the trick just fine to and depending on the plug a pure copper cable done right can also improve the clarity and quality a bit as well.


Edited by Techno Kid - 4/4/13 at 11:46pm
post #9420 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

After 7000 hours, the HE400 sounds like the HE6. Just saying.

 

Would have to agree with MLE on this one.eek.gif

 

Steve

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**