Btw, for anyone interested in buying the alpha pads for the HE400 but wants to know how they sound: I'll probably get a chance to audition them next week :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 627post #9391 of 153854/4/13 at 12:01pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9392 of 153854/4/13 at 12:17pmQuote:
I auditioned mine at AVSF in San Francisco on Van Ness. Antonio and Randy are both super awesome. But please note that they are not too happy about having you use their premises if you don't intend on purchasing from them. And I echo their sentiments.post #9393 of 153854/4/13 at 12:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by absolutk
I auditioned mine at AVSF in San Francisco on Van Ness. Antonio and Randy are both super awesome. But please note that they are not too happy about having you use their premises if you don't intend on purchasing from them. And I echo their sentiments.
Well of course, as long as they aren't overcharging over there, if the he400 is to my liking ill take it home. Do they let you bring your own setup? I just would like to bring ny laptop and e17post #9394 of 153854/4/13 at 12:24pmpost #9395 of 153854/4/13 at 12:37pmQuote:
Doesn't come cheap though.post #9396 of 153854/4/13 at 12:41pm
As soon as I can afford the he 400 or 500, that is the first thing I've always planned on making, may not come out as well as Martin's the first time, but I've wanted to woody the hifiman from the first time I saw the he400.post #9397 of 153854/4/13 at 12:45pmQuote:
You should definitely document the process with photos or videos, it'd be fascinating for the rest of us who have no carpentry/artisan skills.post #9398 of 153854/4/13 at 1:22pmQuote:
That looks awesome, I just want to touch them one timepost #9399 of 153854/4/13 at 1:25pmpost #9400 of 153854/4/13 at 1:32pmpost #9401 of 153854/4/13 at 2:23pmQuote:
Sounds like a plan! Oh, the things I would do with a good CNC router/lathe and some free time...one day.
I'd be interested - they are apparently pretty comfy.post #9402 of 153854/4/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
If there's any chance that you'll be making a 3D model for the CNC, it'd be great to collaborate on it. I'm thinking of getting a TechSHop membership and it might be super helpful.post #9403 of 153854/4/13 at 2:58pmQuote:
No Cnc, freehand on a lathe. I'll be testing myself.that's for sure...its just something I want to do, it may take me a long long time to get it right, but I will.post #9404 of 153854/4/13 at 3:03pmQuote:
Love the passion and dedication. Keep us apprised :)post #9405 of 153854/4/13 at 3:33pmFirst impressions with HE-400 + Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband (for comfort):
Comfort level absolutely skyrockets. Treble seems tamer than even the velours, female vocals don't seem as lacking and the soundstage becomes ridiculous. Seems like there's less bass though, oddly.
Edit: Actually the bass is debatable so far. Some songs it seems a bit muddier but other times it seems like it's more accurate due to the decrease. Might be the songs I'm using though.
Wondering if I should return the Mad Dogs and get the Alpha Pads; ~$75 investment, bringing HE-400 total to $490 (due to shipping + velour pads on headdirect, which was the only site that had it in stock at the time).
Though there does seem to be a bit of a heat issue with the Alpha Pads on the HE-400; there is no heat issue with the Mad Dogs oddly.
Edited by AyeVeeN - 4/4/13 at 3:45pm
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 19 seconds ago
- › Do audio differences exist between capacitors? 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 1 minute ago
- › KRK G3 Rokit 5 + HRT Music Streamer II...ear fatigue - what to do? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum 4 minutes ago
- › 4 pin XLR to 1/4 adapter...something special or grab on from fleabay? 4 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 5 minutes ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 5 minutes ago
- › upgrade headphones first, or go ahead and get dac/amp stack? 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe