Btw, for anyone interested in buying the alpha pads for the HE400 but wants to know how they sound: I'll probably get a chance to audition them next week :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 627post #9391 of 170474/4/13 at 12:01pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9392 of 170474/4/13 at 12:17pmQuote:
I auditioned mine at AVSF in San Francisco on Van Ness. Antonio and Randy are both super awesome. But please note that they are not too happy about having you use their premises if you don't intend on purchasing from them. And I echo their sentiments.post #9393 of 170474/4/13 at 12:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by absolutk
I auditioned mine at AVSF in San Francisco on Van Ness. Antonio and Randy are both super awesome. But please note that they are not too happy about having you use their premises if you don't intend on purchasing from them. And I echo their sentiments.
Well of course, as long as they aren't overcharging over there, if the he400 is to my liking ill take it home. Do they let you bring your own setup? I just would like to bring ny laptop and e17post #9394 of 170474/4/13 at 12:24pmpost #9395 of 170474/4/13 at 12:37pmQuote:
Doesn't come cheap though.post #9396 of 170474/4/13 at 12:41pm
As soon as I can afford the he 400 or 500, that is the first thing I've always planned on making, may not come out as well as Martin's the first time, but I've wanted to woody the hifiman from the first time I saw the he400.post #9397 of 170474/4/13 at 12:45pmQuote:
You should definitely document the process with photos or videos, it'd be fascinating for the rest of us who have no carpentry/artisan skills.post #9398 of 170474/4/13 at 1:22pmQuote:
That looks awesome, I just want to touch them one timepost #9399 of 170474/4/13 at 1:25pmpost #9400 of 170474/4/13 at 1:32pmpost #9401 of 170474/4/13 at 2:23pmQuote:
Sounds like a plan! Oh, the things I would do with a good CNC router/lathe and some free time...one day.
I'd be interested - they are apparently pretty comfy.post #9402 of 170474/4/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
If there's any chance that you'll be making a 3D model for the CNC, it'd be great to collaborate on it. I'm thinking of getting a TechSHop membership and it might be super helpful.post #9403 of 170474/4/13 at 2:58pmQuote:
No Cnc, freehand on a lathe. I'll be testing myself.that's for sure...its just something I want to do, it may take me a long long time to get it right, but I will.post #9404 of 170474/4/13 at 3:03pmQuote:
Love the passion and dedication. Keep us apprised :)post #9405 of 170474/4/13 at 3:33pmFirst impressions with HE-400 + Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband (for comfort):
Comfort level absolutely skyrockets. Treble seems tamer than even the velours, female vocals don't seem as lacking and the soundstage becomes ridiculous. Seems like there's less bass though, oddly.
Edit: Actually the bass is debatable so far. Some songs it seems a bit muddier but other times it seems like it's more accurate due to the decrease. Might be the songs I'm using though.
Wondering if I should return the Mad Dogs and get the Alpha Pads; ~$75 investment, bringing HE-400 total to $490 (due to shipping + velour pads on headdirect, which was the only site that had it in stock at the time).
Though there does seem to be a bit of a heat issue with the Alpha Pads on the HE-400; there is no heat issue with the Mad Dogs oddly.
Edited by AyeVeeN - 4/4/13 at 3:45pm
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Are Macs betters than PCs for high fidelity audio? 19 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 47 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 50 seconds ago
- › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO 56 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 56 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › WTS Earsonics SM2 v2,like mint condition,original box...120€. 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob