It's not that HE-400 is bad for classical music, it's just that I think there are other headphones better suited for the genre. But frankly, I've not listened to a lot of classical stuff with these, so I can't say for sure.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
Heir audio was once thought to be the next king of IEMs. Rave reviews was floating everywhere online. The air around these IEMs were so enticing that one who has never heard them would be drawn to...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 614post #9196 of 153143/31/13 at 12:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9197 of 153143/31/13 at 12:35pmpost #9198 of 153143/31/13 at 12:50pmThread Starterpost #9199 of 153143/31/13 at 1:01pm
Does HD650 have better dynamics / treble detail extraction / tactile bass / openness or clarity compared to HE400? Nope; at best they are on par, if not worse, in those specific attributes.
HD650s exceed HE400 in timbre, refinement, and neutrality, but IMO those are not enough to make them better for classical music. Jazz/vocal music perhaps.post #9200 of 153143/31/13 at 1:05pmpost #9201 of 153143/31/13 at 3:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by markm1
OK-I know this has been addressed ad nausea, but I am still curious.
I listen to a lot of aggressive rock, metal and punk. But, I also like classical, jazz, folk, new age and electronic ambient.
I have Grados which I adore for my heavy rock oriented music.
If I wanted to look at something for non rock genres particularly biased toward larger sound stage for symphonic music which is an area Grados are notoriously lacking, is the HE 500 the slam dunk better choice over the 400?
I will be going to a meet next month, but thought I'd pose the question.....
Jazz and Electronic sound great on the HE-400.post #9202 of 153143/31/13 at 8:53pmQuote:
I've tried with a friend's HD-650 on the same setup and didn't hear the “...twaack...”
I've also lent my setup to another friend who tested on his CD transport and separate DAC. He also heard the “...twaack...” sound occasionally.
I'm suspecting the problem could be with the driver.
Stevepost #9203 of 153143/31/13 at 8:55pmpost #9204 of 153143/31/13 at 9:09pmQuote:
The “...twaack...” sound appears to be random. Would happen one day then nothing for the next few days. No particular song makes the “...twaack...” sound.
All the music files are either 24bit /96kHz from HD Tracks or ripped to lossless FLAC files from CD.
Stevepost #9205 of 153144/1/13 at 12:19ampost #9206 of 153144/1/13 at 1:06ampost #9207 of 153144/1/13 at 1:13amQuote:
I think I know what you mean about that sound, I experience it too. It happens when I pause or unpause while sound is playing from my headphones. The louder the music, the louder the twack. For example that 30Hz wav file someone posted a few pages back, if I pause and unpause I hear a pretty loud twack sound. I'll see if I can record it and post it here.post #9208 of 153144/1/13 at 1:18ampost #9209 of 153144/1/13 at 1:24amQuote:
Yeah I too thought it was something along those lines, it's no biggie imo.
Anyway here's what it sounds like on my headphones, ignore the rustling in the background. You can clearly hear the thud when I pause and unpause.post #9210 of 153144/1/13 at 2:58amQuote:
To me, the treble peak overshadows the real sound of details. I don't like the treble of the HE-400, it does not seam realistic. That is a dealbreaker for me
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Please help, headphones for alternative/rock 1 minute ago
- › Altmann Tera Player — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion 1 minute ago
- › TF10 CIEMs with Custom Cable Ready for Reshell 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 1 minute ago
- › Best headphones for Classical music? 2 minutes ago
- › AKG k550 VS Akg q701 vs DT990 sound signature 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 2 minutes ago
- › Edifier E 25 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 3 minutes ago
- › which headphones is the best for travel 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe