It's not that HE-400 is bad for classical music, it's just that I think there are other headphones better suited for the genre. But frankly, I've not listened to a lot of classical stuff with these, so I can't say for sure.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 614
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Does HD650 have better dynamics / treble detail extraction / tactile bass / openness or clarity compared to HE400? Nope; at best they are on par, if not worse, in those specific attributes.
HD650s exceed HE400 in timbre, refinement, and neutrality, but IMO those are not enough to make them better for classical music. Jazz/vocal music perhaps.
OK-I know this has been addressed ad nausea, but I am still curious.
I listen to a lot of aggressive rock, metal and punk. But, I also like classical, jazz, folk, new age and electronic ambient.
I have Grados which I adore for my heavy rock oriented music.
If I wanted to look at something for non rock genres particularly biased toward larger sound stage for symphonic music which is an area Grados are notoriously lacking, is the HE 500 the slam dunk better choice over the 400?
I will be going to a meet next month, but thought I'd pose the question.....
Jazz and Electronic sound great on the HE-400.
I've tried with a friend's HD-650 on the same setup and didn't hear the “...twaack...”
I've also lent my setup to another friend who tested on his CD transport and separate DAC. He also heard the “...twaack...” sound occasionally.
I'm suspecting the problem could be with the driver.
The “...twaack...” sound appears to be random. Would happen one day then nothing for the next few days. No particular song makes the “...twaack...” sound.
All the music files are either 24bit /96kHz from HD Tracks or ripped to lossless FLAC files from CD.
I think I know what you mean about that sound, I experience it too. It happens when I pause or unpause while sound is playing from my headphones. The louder the music, the louder the twack. For example that 30Hz wav file someone posted a few pages back, if I pause and unpause I hear a pretty loud twack sound. I'll see if I can record it and post it here.
Yeah I too thought it was something along those lines, it's no biggie imo.
Anyway here's what it sounds like on my headphones, ignore the rustling in the background. You can clearly hear the thud when I pause and unpause.
To me, the treble peak overshadows the real sound of details. I don't like the treble of the HE-400, it does not seam realistic. That is a dealbreaker for me
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Speaker placement for a corner desk 8 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 19 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 32 seconds ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 52 seconds ago
- › DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 1 minute ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 2 minutes ago
- › Bass heavy Recommendations IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)