It's not that HE-400 is bad for classical music, it's just that I think there are other headphones better suited for the genre. But frankly, I've not listened to a lot of classical stuff with these, so I can't say for sure.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Yesterday
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 614
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Does HD650 have better dynamics / treble detail extraction / tactile bass / openness or clarity compared to HE400? Nope; at best they are on par, if not worse, in those specific attributes.
HD650s exceed HE400 in timbre, refinement, and neutrality, but IMO those are not enough to make them better for classical music. Jazz/vocal music perhaps.
OK-I know this has been addressed ad nausea, but I am still curious.
I listen to a lot of aggressive rock, metal and punk. But, I also like classical, jazz, folk, new age and electronic ambient.
I have Grados which I adore for my heavy rock oriented music.
If I wanted to look at something for non rock genres particularly biased toward larger sound stage for symphonic music which is an area Grados are notoriously lacking, is the HE 500 the slam dunk better choice over the 400?
I will be going to a meet next month, but thought I'd pose the question.....
Jazz and Electronic sound great on the HE-400.
I've tried with a friend's HD-650 on the same setup and didn't hear the “...twaack...”
I've also lent my setup to another friend who tested on his CD transport and separate DAC. He also heard the “...twaack...” sound occasionally.
I'm suspecting the problem could be with the driver.
The “...twaack...” sound appears to be random. Would happen one day then nothing for the next few days. No particular song makes the “...twaack...” sound.
All the music files are either 24bit /96kHz from HD Tracks or ripped to lossless FLAC files from CD.
I think I know what you mean about that sound, I experience it too. It happens when I pause or unpause while sound is playing from my headphones. The louder the music, the louder the twack. For example that 30Hz wav file someone posted a few pages back, if I pause and unpause I hear a pretty loud twack sound. I'll see if I can record it and post it here.
Yeah I too thought it was something along those lines, it's no biggie imo.
Anyway here's what it sounds like on my headphones, ignore the rustling in the background. You can clearly hear the thud when I pause and unpause.
To me, the treble peak overshadows the real sound of details. I don't like the treble of the HE-400, it does not seam realistic. That is a dealbreaker for me
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 minutes ago
- › The future of lossless formats 4 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 6 minutes ago
- › Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 6 minutes ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)