It's not that HE-400 is bad for classical music, it's just that I think there are other headphones better suited for the genre. But frankly, I've not listened to a lot of classical stuff with these, so I can't say for sure.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 614
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Does HD650 have better dynamics / treble detail extraction / tactile bass / openness or clarity compared to HE400? Nope; at best they are on par, if not worse, in those specific attributes.
HD650s exceed HE400 in timbre, refinement, and neutrality, but IMO those are not enough to make them better for classical music. Jazz/vocal music perhaps.
OK-I know this has been addressed ad nausea, but I am still curious.
I listen to a lot of aggressive rock, metal and punk. But, I also like classical, jazz, folk, new age and electronic ambient.
I have Grados which I adore for my heavy rock oriented music.
If I wanted to look at something for non rock genres particularly biased toward larger sound stage for symphonic music which is an area Grados are notoriously lacking, is the HE 500 the slam dunk better choice over the 400?
I will be going to a meet next month, but thought I'd pose the question.....
Jazz and Electronic sound great on the HE-400.
I've tried with a friend's HD-650 on the same setup and didn't hear the “...twaack...”
I've also lent my setup to another friend who tested on his CD transport and separate DAC. He also heard the “...twaack...” sound occasionally.
I'm suspecting the problem could be with the driver.
The “...twaack...” sound appears to be random. Would happen one day then nothing for the next few days. No particular song makes the “...twaack...” sound.
All the music files are either 24bit /96kHz from HD Tracks or ripped to lossless FLAC files from CD.
I think I know what you mean about that sound, I experience it too. It happens when I pause or unpause while sound is playing from my headphones. The louder the music, the louder the twack. For example that 30Hz wav file someone posted a few pages back, if I pause and unpause I hear a pretty loud twack sound. I'll see if I can record it and post it here.
Yeah I too thought it was something along those lines, it's no biggie imo.
Anyway here's what it sounds like on my headphones, ignore the rustling in the background. You can clearly hear the thud when I pause and unpause.
To me, the treble peak overshadows the real sound of details. I don't like the treble of the HE-400, it does not seam realistic. That is a dealbreaker for me
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 38 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 44 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-IM02 VS FAD Heaven V 4 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 5 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 9 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 by RubxQub
- › Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by wormsdriver
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by trevorburnham
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › HeadRoom Little With More Power Supply by Mshenay
- › beyerdynamic T50p by gotak
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Tom22
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)