Great source for the HE-400 if you're interested in trying out tubes - http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 585post #8761 of 153543/16/13 at 7:33pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8762 of 153543/16/13 at 10:16pmQuote:
Agreed although I like her song Shadows more. I bought about half of her album a couple months ago. I'm hoping with her next album she pulls away from the wubwubwub a bit.
Edited by FuzzyD - 3/16/13 at 10:20pmpost #8763 of 153543/16/13 at 10:42pmpost #8764 of 153543/17/13 at 2:55amQuote:Originally Posted by InCreD1Ble
Why do some people say that pairing a tube amp with these headphones isn't the best idea? I have a tube amp atm (Aune T1) and the sound I get is very satisfying, pleasant and transparent. at 16 dB gain I can turn up the volume to unbearable levels. What would be the improvement(s) if I got myself a SS amp?
You have a SS amp with a tube buffer DAC...post #8765 of 153543/17/13 at 5:14amThread StarterQuote:
Huh? The connector on the cup to connect the cable? They are all gold.post #8766 of 153543/17/13 at 7:47ampost #8767 of 153543/17/13 at 8:02am
Yes they can fit extreme metal due to their fast response. 32nd bass drum notes are nicely defined and do not overlap with each other due to the driver's transient response. But even drivers are fast, they don't lack power as long as you feed them right. Plus the cymbals really shine. Though "too underground" or "low-budget" albums may seem sibilant or harsh. For what it's worth, HE-400 is my best headphone to listen The Faceless albums providing I'm on a quiet enviroment. They're just sick!post #8768 of 153543/17/13 at 8:02am
Yes, yes and yes. I find extreme metal to be the toughest genre of all three, just because it's so jammed with instruments and sounds. Without a good seperation and a very high resolution in sound you miss out on a lot. The HE-400 has excellent seperation and resolution so this genre fits it perfectly.post #8769 of 153543/17/13 at 8:58am
I did a quick check, going back and forth between the RS-1s (with flat pads), and the HE 400s (with velour pads.) Same material, same amp. I had to turn the volume up for the HE400s, as the RS-1s are more sensitive. Other than that, the same testing parameters. What I hear is, the HE-400s are more lush, more bass, way bigger sound stage. The stereo sound comes from behind my ears all the way to the front (mono). The RS-1s are more brittle sounding, and the stereo sound is right at your ears, and in the middle of your head for mono. The biggest difference I hear is, the HE-400s sound like speakers, not headphones. The sound comes from out around your head. The only "con" is, the weight. The HE-400s are heavy--440 grams or 14.5 ozs. They feel like they weight four or five times as much as the RS-1s. The weight is going to take some getting use to. The sound is not--they sound great!
Edited by Oldandslow - 3/17/13 at 9:27ampost #8770 of 153543/17/13 at 9:12am
You get used to the weight quite fast. I'm not a big guy, weigh only about 66 kg. But the weight isn't an issue. My hair can get a bit flattened out by the headband though :ppost #8771 of 153543/17/13 at 9:23amQuote:
Same with one of the connectors on my HE-500.post #8772 of 153543/17/13 at 9:30am
I tried this phone for a few days, had it on loan from a friend.
I must have been expecting too much, I suppose....my first listen to a planar magnetic phone.
They just did not have the wow factor that I was expecting, that plus the weight send me back to my RS1i's pretty quickly
My RS1 seemed a lot more fun, made the guitars sing way more and the 9 oz. weight was much more comfortable.
I am glad that I tried them though...they are a great looking phone.post #8773 of 153543/17/13 at 9:40amQuote:
If I could suggest, don't use just the HifiMAN HE-400 as a basis towards all orthos or HifiMAN headphones. Based upon your one sentence, I could direct you towards the HE-4 and you'd be quite surprised. The HE-4 is lighter, but has a different, detailed high end when compared to the HE-4. I've been a major Grado fan in the past. However, I've heard and owned so many other headphones since then, I can no longer put a Grado on and enjoy them. I never thought I'd ever be in that position because Grado used to mean so much to me.
[crap: this is post 4,001 - so much for retaining my post count at a nice, even number.]post #8774 of 153543/17/13 at 10:29ampost #8775 of 153543/17/13 at 10:42amQuote:
Congrats bud, the 400s were my recent bday self-gift as well.
Might want to check if Moon actually has them available tomorrow. I called to ask a shipping question after I placed the order last week and they were sold out, frustrating when a company's website doesn't reflect what's in stock. I paid a little more but ended up getting it straight from Head Direct.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Haven't found it yet 1 minute ago
- › Audiophiles - Listening to music or to gear? 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe