Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 559

post #8371 of 20258

I would like to add, that around 2 kHz (+/-) is very important for our understanding of speech. I don't remember the source I got it from, but the upper mids are definitely not irrelevant vocal-wise.

post #8372 of 20258

The LCD2 might be the one I'll get when I have my home system all setup but I'm loving the HE-400.  I've always been a huge IEM person and would often defend them against headphones but I don't see that happening much anymore.

post #8373 of 20258

Just wanted to pop in and say that my HE400 has, like a fine wine, gotten better with age and use. I've sold my Matrix amp, which barely had enough power to drive these sufficiently on gain of 20 (400mw @ 50 Ohms). I have a V90 on the way which I believe will power these phones quite authoritatively.

 

For now, I am going to run the V90 from the Audioengine DAC D1 to my Macbook.

 

Thing is, seems my Macbook can only output 96khz sample rate out of the optical. Are there any other products I can add to my rig to get it up to 24/192? I've done a lot of reading but ended up more confused than when I started. It's not imperative, just something I'd like to do.

 

Next on my shopping list is a DAC by either Yulong or AudioGD using the warm W8741. Any suggestions as to DAC's would save me an awful lot of reading, so if you have one, maybe even to sell, I'd be happy to hear from you.

 

etys still rule, just not as much lately :)
 

post #8374 of 20258
Quote:

I auditioned both for several days on my personal time-- which is more than say comparing at a meet or at a store, and I personally think the HE-400 comes close to LCD2.

If I may turn this into some sort of e-pen contest to see who has heard them longer...well have had both together for half a year as of this month. The 400s come close, and pretty darned close. So nothing but wholehearted agreement here.

 

YMMV, IMO, blah, blah, the usual fare.


Edited by TwinQY - 3/8/13 at 4:29pm
post #8375 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

If I may turn this into some sort of e-pen contest to see who has heard them longer...well have had both together for half a year as of this month. The 400s come close, and pretty darned close. So nothing but wholehearted agreement here.

 

YMMV, IMO, blah, blah, the usual fare.

Hi twinqy, do you find the vocals on the he-400 to be enjoyable compared to the lcd-2?  If you don't mind me asking of course.  I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can on this matter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I would like to add, that around 2 kHz (+/-) is very important for our understanding of speech. I don't remember the source I got it from, but the upper mids are definitely not irrelevant vocal-wise.

Could this be what your looking for?: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

post #8376 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

 

I don't know this. The J$ made all my hopes and dreams come true.biggrin.gif

Oh c***, I didn't mean it like that. I meant they aren't perfectly identical is what I meant.

 

I love mine, they're mah babies >:(

 

It's late...

post #8377 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I dunno but that just sounds like speculations without any real basis. 

 

In terms of variations between J$s, practically it is only cosmetic differences, which should not at all discernible constitute sound variations. The difference between J$s and other pads are overwhelmingly more drastic (completely different materials/dimensions/shapes/damping).

 

Maybe you could contact purrin and see if he is interested in measuring the J$ pads on HE500s or HE400s; the results could be compared against stock / jergpad measurements.

 

 

Measurements would be quite awesome. But I don't want to send away my pair. Maybe he has some?

post #8378 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Measurements would be quite awesome. But I don't want to send away my pair. Maybe he has some?

AFAIK he doesn't. If you (or anyone else with a burning curiosity as to what measurable effects J$s have) never send anything over for measurements, then it will always been subjective.

post #8379 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

AFAIK he doesn't. If you (or anyone else with a burning curiosity as to what measurable effects J$s have) never send anything over for measurements, then it will always been subjective.

But why? The pads aren't altered at all? As you just said, they should sound pretty much the same.

post #8380 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

But why? The pads aren't altered at all? As you just said, they should sound pretty much the same.

 

...I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. What pads aren't altered? What sounds the same?

post #8381 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

You guys certainly do sound like HE-400 apologists, especially when claims that the HE-400 is as good as the LCD-2 are thrown around. 

 

I'm convinced the HE-400 is a good, but flawed headphone. Vocals disappear behind the drums, hi-hats, and instruments when they clearly shouldn't. Sibilance is a frequent problem and treble balance is also an issue. The "thinness" of the overall sound is also a negative. Plus, the lack of decent bass impact with velours and a less-than-ideal subbass extension.

 

In the end the HE-400 is very technically adept but I don't think I can call it "musical". It doesn't make the music fun and engaging the way my D2000s did, for instance (and I'm sure there's a multitude of headphones that can be described as more musical in or around this price range). 

 

Jiggahwhat, please share with us what open-back headphone that you think isn't flawed, is more musical, and better than the HE-400 that is under $500? I'm looking for something with better bass, soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation. I am interested in trying them if you can point me in the right direction. LCD-2's retail for $1000 (too expensive for me), of course they are going to be better. D2000's are closed-back. From what I heard, those have recessed mids and can be fatiguing as well? Those and a few other headphones are going to have more bass impact because they are a closed-back design and not open.

post #8382 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

Jiggahwhat, please share with us what open-back headphone that you think isn't flawed, is more musical, and better than the HE-400 that is under $500? I'm looking for something with better bass, soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation. I am interested in trying them if you can point me in the right direction. LCD-2's retail for $1000 (too expensive for me), of course they are going to be better. D2000's are closed-back. From what I heard, those have recessed mids and can be fatiguing as well? Those and a few other headphones are going to have more bass impact because they are a closed-back design and not open.

Obvious answer would've been the HD650, wouldn't it? wink.gif

This one can usually do everything quite well and fits almost every headphone requirement.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewr View Post

Hi twinqy, do you find the vocals on the he-400 to be enjoyable compared to the lcd-2?  If you don't mind me asking of course.  I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can on this matter.

No. The HiFiMANs bring out more vocal clarity but the detail and richness isn't there. For other instruments/tones, definitely yes. It's lean planar mids done right. Not too lean like the HE-4, where it's transparent and clear enough but doesn't have enough detail as say the HE5-LE or 6, to make it fully cohesive.

post #8383 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Obvious answer would've been the HD650, wouldn't it? wink.gif

This one can usually do everything quite well and fits almost every headphone requirement.

 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with that smiley face lol.

 

M50's really? How is the soundstage and instrument separation on them? I thought I read somewhere that the HE-400's are completely in a different league compared to them?

post #8384 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with that smiley face lol.

 

M50's really? How is the soundstage and instrument separation on them? I thought I read somewhere that the HE-400's are completely in a different league compared to them?

You're right that there's sarcasm in there but it sure as heck isn't from the smiley face. *coughm50cough*

 

But to be serious the HD650 would do quite well.

post #8385 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with that smiley face lol.

 

M50's really? How is the soundstage and instrument separation on them? I thought I read somewhere that the HE-400's are completely in a different league compared to them?

He's being sarcastic with regards to M50s, but not with HD650s. 

 

 

You want:

 

"what open-back headphone that you think isn't flawed, is more musical, and better than the HE-400 that is under $500? I'm looking for something with better bass, soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation."

 

HD650s will be less flawed (if you consider HE400 colourations to be flaws), arguably more musical (if you prefer warm-neutral tonal balance), soundstage-wise it is a toss-up, bass / clarity / separation-wise HE400s are definitely better.

 

That is why there has never been a definitive answer for HE400 vs HD650, because neither is overwhelmingly better than the other.

 

 

 

 

If you want something that is a good compromise between HD650 and HE400 (achieves most of both headphones, but not quite), try Mad Dogs.

 

If you want something that takes the best of HD650s and HE400 and is something better altogether, HE500s.


Edited by jerg - 3/8/13 at 7:15pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**