Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 545

post #8161 of 18311

Oh, okay. Is head-direct on amazon considered an official distributor? And if not, how do I find one?


Edited by InCreD1Ble - 3/4/13 at 8:45am
post #8162 of 18311
Thread Starter 

^^ Yes.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

HI guys, 

I got a question about the HE-400 cabe. See, here is the thing, i want to get 2 cables (one short and flexible and one long).

1 for travel, 1 for home.

 

So i did that, but unfortunatelly i missed to realize how fragile the connectors to the HP are.

 

So far im only using the long original canare, to make sure i dont break the connectors, but is there a way to have a safer, more effective connector half way so i can switch from one cable to another on the fly, keeping it safe?

 

The idea is to have one stiff cable at home and one flexible cable on the go, and alternate from one to another.

 

I dont know if im explaining myself well :D.

 

 

post #8163 of 18311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I've mailed a pair of version 1 jergpads to purrin over at Changstar actually, he is still in the listening phase and won't be measuring them until later. He said he likes the sound it brings at least subjectively.

 

It'd be interesting to see the CSD in conjunction with the THD measurements.

 

It's a shame that what he'll be measuring the version 1, as the v2.0 (which I posted a couple of days ago) is IMO even better-sounding (see Part III and IV of that guide, those are new).

 

Do keep this in mind though, and I quote purrin on this: "No guarantee of any measurable differences, but this doesn't always happen with subjective impressions."

 

 

 

Sure, here are how my v2.0 jergpads look like atm. The version 2 is much more robust and less likely too fall apart than v1, because I took a few hints from some users who did v1 in their creative ways, and there is far less need to just cut everything apart now with the newest protocol to modding them.

 

 


Glad to hear that you are getting the pads tested. Also sounds as though there is room for a follow-up to see if 2.0 is any better.

 

I am sometimes harsh on the objective/subjective line but lately have been fiddling with my car, and I am reminded how important a lot of non-audio aspects are to good sound. The door rattling may not show up in the measurements, but they will drive you nuts. I am just not willing to knife up my pads for hope of a better sound without some "proof" that an impact will be made. I have similar ambivalence toward buying tons of dynamat for my car in the expectation that it will really be more quiet. In some cases, sure. In others, what a waste.

 

Also, the velours are just good to my ears - better than the pleather despite only making a fairly slight measured change.


Edited by MrMateoHead - 3/4/13 at 9:02am
post #8164 of 18311

I'm curious about the measurements as well.  Keep us posted.

post #8165 of 18311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

So I love these headphones for just about every genre ... Except rock. A lot of rock, classic rock, alternative rock and metal just sound very hollow. Lethargic. Incomplete. I'm sure a big part of that is the way that most popular rock music is mixed but I know it can sound good on some headphones. Something fast and aggressive. I wonder if it might be time to finally check out Grados. Though I've always been under the impression that they're not suited for big heads like mine.

I'm in a similar boat as you (and also looking for a closed headphone) so I've decided to give the Mad Dogs a try.  I'll probably be picking it up in the next few weeks.

post #8166 of 18311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post


Glad to hear that you are getting the pads tested. Also sounds as though there is room for a follow-up to see if 2.0 is any better.

 

I am sometimes harsh on the objective/subjective line but lately have been fiddling with my car, and I am reminded how important a lot of non-audio aspects are to good sound. The door rattling may not show up in the measurements, but they will drive you nuts. I am just not willing to knife up my pads for hope of a better sound without some "proof" that an impact will be made. I have similar ambivalence toward buying tons of dynamat for my car in the expectation that it will really be more quiet. In some cases, sure. In others, what a waste.

 

Also, the velours are just good to my ears - better than the pleather despite only making a fairly slight measured change.

I hear ya brother, investing time and effort cutting into an untouched product is gonna give some people hesitation.

 

Purrin's measurements-to-come will consist of FR, CSD, and hopefully THD. The FR and CSD will show any relative shifts in frequency response compared to velours and ideally stock pleathers too. The CSD will in addition show the decay data, which may or may not be useful (as it cuts off around 500 Hz, and the plots of 500-1000Hz in waterfall tend to be a mess anyway). If THD is also measured, it could show how the harmonic distortion is laid out between the modded pads vs the 2 stock pads.

 

Another big consideration is the degree of sensitivity with measurements. Some of you might recall recent studies that showed that human hearing exceeds the sensitivity and complexity of the most advanced acoustic measurements, so even small changes in measurement could amplify to very drastic changes to the acute ear (case in point: purrin's HE400 velour vs pleather measurements, vs perceived differences).

 

These will all be done on his HE500s, of course. I think he got rid of his HE400s, but relative pad-based changes could be extrapolated.


Edited by jerg - 3/4/13 at 9:37am
post #8167 of 18311
Just an update: Head-direct is covering the damaged wires under their warranty and sending me new wires. Yay for good customer service!
post #8168 of 18311

I wonder whether I got a faulty pair or not..

 

I bought my pair around juli 2012 from head-direct, I've got the Version 2, I guess. I read somewhere that they've got an update d version, am I right? I'm saying this because I think mine isn't performing as it should.

 

I'm using velour pads on them, running through a fiio e11,LOD I ipod classic with 320 kbs mp3's (from what.cd). When I put the fiio at around '3' (slightly less), I hear this imperfection, high pitch or instruments are not smooth, like it's vibrating. It makes it appearance around '3' volume on the fiio, at around '2' it disappears.

 

So I'm wondering whether it's my source or the HE 400, I also get it at high levels wish my HD 25 's. I thought the 'imperfection' was due to HD25', not being high-end enough. So I thought the HE400 wouldn't show it, but it does. Reading through others reviews I haven't really seen anyone mention this. Maybe they uses a better source, or they used a new and better version or mine is faulty. Halp

post #8169 of 18311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faab View Post

I wonder whether I got a faulty pair or not..

 

I bought my pair around juli 2012 from head-direct, I've got the Version 2, I guess. I read somewhere that they've got an update d version, am I right? I'm saying this because I think mine isn't performing as it should.

 

I'm using velour pads on them, running through a fiio e11,LOD I ipod classic with 320 kbs mp3's (from what.cd). When I put the fiio at around '3' (slightly less), I hear this imperfection, high pitch or instruments are not smooth, like it's vibrating. It makes it appearance around '3' volume on the fiio, at around '2' it disappears.

 

So I'm wondering whether it's my source or the HE 400, I also get it at high levels wish my HD 25 's. I thought the 'imperfection' was due to HD25', not being high-end enough. So I thought the HE400 wouldn't show it, but it does. Reading through others reviews I haven't really seen anyone mention this. Maybe they uses a better source, or they used a new and better version or mine is faulty. Halp

What you described sounds like a piece of hair or dust particle stuck to the diaphragm surface. Take off the earpads and the grills, and scrutinize the driver membrane surfaces, also blow some wind on them to try to sweep out debris that might be hidden from sight.

 

Also could be something faulty with your audio chain; try the HE400s out of different amps / your PC etc instead around the same volume, and see if you can reproduce the thing.

post #8170 of 18311

Alright, I'll try and do that as soon as I can. The only amp I got though, is the fiio and the highest fidelity sound output I got is the iPod I guess (or my laptop; HP 8570w). I've got an exam this week and I'm moving to a new dorm. Will post back here 😉

post #8171 of 18311

So for the past week I was running the HE-400s out of a DAC only (no amp). Today I got my Fiio E12 which puts 850 mW at 32 ohms. I'm not noticing all that much change in the quality of the sound, but I am increasingly noticing the treble. The treble adds a lot of sibilance and sharpness to vocals and hi-hats and things like that. Sounds unclean, almost distorted. I'm not liking this sound and I think that may be the nail in the coffin for the HE-400s for me.

 

However, I noticed with the amp the sound responds a lot better to EQing. I bump the treble down through foobar2k -8 db or so from 10-20 khz and it sounds a lot better. Meh, not sure if that's enough to keep me with the 400s. 

 

So my setup as it stands:
 

PC --> Hifimediy Sabre 32 --> Fiio E12 --> HE-400s


Edited by jiggahwhat - 3/4/13 at 3:07pm
post #8172 of 18311

Anybody knows how well does HE-400 work with Woo Audio WA6 ? I am deciding whether to buy Lyr or WA6 for HE-400 and HD650. Lyr should be great for both but I am not sure about HE-400 and WA6. Every info would be great ;)

post #8173 of 18311
Thread Starter 

I would go with the lyr. tongue.gif

post #8174 of 18311

Guys, I'm tempted to kinda skimp on the DAC/AMP on the HE-400 since I'm quite convinced that it will sound good from cheap stuff as well. I am really tempted to buy this DAC/AMP from HA info: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190785547272?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

 

Anyone got any idea on this please? Would really appreciate some feedback!

post #8175 of 18311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay567 View Post

Guys, I'm tempted to kinda skimp on the DAC/AMP on the HE-400 since I'm quite convinced that it will sound good from cheap stuff as well. I am really tempted to buy this DAC/AMP from HA info: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190785547272?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

 

Anyone got any idea on this please? Would really appreciate some feedback!

It definitely has more than enough power (700mW at 32Ohm), so sure, try it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**