I wish my wife would go to bed... We're watching American Idol "together" and I'd love to be anywhere else with my headphones and that new DACMini... I just downloaded a bunch of new Muisc too...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 10/29/13 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 534post #7996 of 151812/26/13 at 11:01pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7997 of 151812/27/13 at 12:06ampost #7998 of 151812/27/13 at 12:48amQuote:Originally Posted by stereolab
After months of mulling over headphone debate, I finally ordered and subsequently received my HE-400 on Saturday. Although I do enjoy the HE-400 sound, I am not sure these cans are a $400 upgrade over my Senn HD-595 (IMO). Undoubtedly my expectations were too high from the outset, but I figured I'd be a bit more impressed given the step up in headphone tiers. Hopefully in time I will learn to appreciate my new purchase.
Have you got a good amp? I noticed relativly big changes from unamped to E17 and then again to Asgard amp.
Its ofc subjective but if you can try them out with a good amp.post #7999 of 151812/27/13 at 1:01amQuote:
Dead right. When my HE-400 came, I attached it to my ipod eagerly. After listening to the sound (or lack of it), I wanted to throw out the HPs. I then got the Bifrost/Asgard 1 and enjoying every moment of it.post #8000 of 151812/27/13 at 1:06am
I've been setting up my iPod for use in my new car through the aux jack, converting most of my music to ALAC and AAC, so since I have my iPod right here next to my HE400 I decided to try them out. The HE400 actually sounds really good from the iPod! It's a really old Nano 2nd gen too. Of course dynamics suffer because volume doesn't get loud at all, but it still sounds like an HE400 which is pretty damn good still.post #8001 of 151812/27/13 at 1:20am
With a lack of decent amping, they sound great, but the problem is that since the volume is significantly lower, some freceuncies (bass mostly) overshadows other sounds.
I have found that since i use the asgard with my Fiio E17 as a dac (optical in bypassing Fiio AMP from my Creative X-fi Titanium), there are new sounds i have not been able to notice from lets say, my cowon/E17.
Also another thing shocked me when using the asgard over the fiio E17: The headphones sound a lot more open.
I thought they sounded "perfect" from my fiio E17 before but now i feel they sound like a closed can compared to the Asgard :D.
Im not sure if i am describing it right thou.
I am planning to get a Sennheiser HD600 as a complement for the HE-400, but im not sure yet on those or some other cans :D.post #8002 of 151812/27/13 at 1:32am
It's not an all in one.. but very very close:
The ODAC+ Lake People G109 amp. The G109 is very neutral, dynamic, and possesses extremely smooth highs (pairs wonderfully with the HD800). The G109 delivers nearly 2 watts @ 50 ohms. It can drive IEMs with grace and nuance (very low output impedance).. and orthos with power and control.
In my desktop rig: ODAC fed to the TubeDAC-11.. the TD-11's tube output runs to the LP G109... the HE-400 sounds heavenly. I can't decide if I like the HE-400 or the HD800 more in this setup.. both sound phenomenal. I'd consider it my end game rig actually & would put it up against anything under $1K. Can't imagine upgrading unless I want to drop serious cash on a BHSE or ECBA. An excellent tube that synergizes well with the HE-400 ( in this rig) is the Holland-made, Amperex 6922 "Orange Globe." Robust, textured bass.. slightly forward, liquid mids (a signature of the "Amperex" sound).. and smooth, crisp treble.
That being said.. I love the ODAC & G109 alone, too & would be more than happy if that's all I had at my disposal (at the desktop). It's very powerful, transparent, smooth, open, and effortless.
Edited by FlySweep - 2/27/13 at 1:38ampost #8003 of 151812/27/13 at 1:45am
Would love to start using EQ to maybe get a bit more out of the bass but I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't understand the Hz or know what a rolloff is and truthfully I don't care. Would just like a little more impact.post #8004 of 151812/27/13 at 5:39amQuote:
It's generally just the first two bands on a simple graphic equalizer. If the equalizer doesn't have a limiter built in to prevent clipping make sure you lower the pre-amp the same amount.
A lot of people suggest dropping all the other bands instead, but this is a big no-no with graphic equalizers due to how inaccurate they are, that can turn the FR into a bumpy mess.post #8005 of 151812/27/13 at 8:28am
I was thinking about mentioning the Conductor earlier, but it is indeed top of the line and quite pricey - almost double the Lyr+Bifrost combo! I think one of the Audio-gd options (Compass 2, NFB-11.32, NFB-5.32, NFB-15.32) would be your best bet.post #8006 of 151812/27/13 at 8:40ampost #8007 of 151812/27/13 at 9:28ampost #8008 of 151812/27/13 at 9:29ampost #8009 of 151812/27/13 at 9:42amQuote:
With the right earpads, HE400s are very competent for mids-focused genres like vocals and rock. Seriously, my jergpadded HE400s actually sound a lot like HE500s with stock velours to my ears, except a bit rougher around the edges and a bit more spacious and fun-sounding.post #8010 of 151812/27/13 at 9:50amQuote:
when is v2.0 of the Jergpad coming out ?
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 8 seconds ago
- › FS/FT: Sennheiser HD-800 w/ Headphone Lounge Octa-Conductor OCC... 49 seconds ago
- › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! 1 minute ago
- › ELE DAC vs MacBook Pro internal DAC - virtually the same SQ? 2 minutes ago
- › Electrodynamic and electrostatic headphones now obsolete ? 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 8 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe