Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 527

post #7891 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

I haven't tried EQ TMRaven yet, but I would like to. In his post TMRaven made HE400EQFinal2.e-q file available for download. Is it possible to upload it directly to Electri-Q? I can't find the way to do it (normally Electri-Q saves settings to fxp file)?

 

Anyway I suppose it will make HE-400 (already quite similarly sounding to LCD-2) sound even more like LCD-2, but with more air and punch as it is without EQing.

 

I think you load the EQ file in the Electri-Q foobar plugin by clicking the M button then Import Preset.

post #7892 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

I haven't tried EQ TMRaven yet, but I would like to. In his post TMRaven made HE400EQFinal2.e-q file available for download. Is it possible to upload it directly to Electri-Q? I can't find the way to do it (normally Electri-Q saves settings to fxp file)?

 

Anyway I suppose it will make HE-400 (already quite similarly sounding to LCD-2) sound even more like LCD-2, but with more air and punch as it is without EQing.

 

If u have 1.8 or higher version of Electric-Q than as cheuh mentioned it's just "M" button in right bottom corner and than Presets - Import Preset - Choose File.

 

In 1.7 Electric-Q isn't this import option supported :(

 

Btw if you are talking about "HE400EQFinal2.e-q" how do u like it? TMRaven got actually quite similar EQ just with more "dots". Have to try it today too.

post #7893 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

 

I think you load the EQ file in the Electri-Q foobar plugin by clicking the M button then Import Preset.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flisker View Post

 

If u have 1.8 or higher version of Electric-Q than as cheuh mentioned it's just "M" button in right bottom corner and than Presets - Import Preset - Choose File.

 

In 1.7 Electric-Q isn't this import option supported :(

 

Btw if you are talking about "HE400EQFinal2.e-q" how do u like it? TMRaven got actually quite similar EQ just with more "dots". Have to try it today too.

Thanks, I will try to do it.

 

Edit:

I've tried this EQ preset. It indeed makes the sound of HE-400 close to LCD-2's. The music is gentler and smoother sounding, the treble is not harsh. However there is also some loss of air/openness and impact. Depending on the kind of music I would choose version with or without the EQ preset. For electronic I prefer the sound to stay unchanged.


Edited by korzena - 2/25/13 at 5:21am
post #7894 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

 

Thanks, I will try to do it.

 

Edit:

I've tried this EQ preset. It indeed makes the sound of HE-400 close to LCD-2's. The music is gentler and smoother sounding, the treble is not harsh. However there is also some loss of air/openness and impact. Depending on the kind of music I would choose version with or without the EQ preset. For electronic I prefer the sound to stay unchanged.

 

Thanks for the comparisons!

post #7895 of 18083

So guys I got Magni & Modi today ... first got pretty mad when Magni was doing laud crazy noise in headphones without music at all.

 

Than noticed slightly moved volume knob which probably touched some other electrical component, so I just moved it back to the middle of hole and it works fine ... here in CZ. 

 

I have to take back my previous post about HD650, heard 2 songs so far and what I found is that those are definitely not "drivable" by FiiO E11. But with Magni and Modi it's pretty different story.

 

Will post update on HE-400 in few hours. 

post #7896 of 18083

I would be scared to try to replace the HE-400 with something "better". At this point there is little but tradeoffs to be made.

 

To spice things up a bit recently, and after somewhat wasted efforts to "flatten" response a bit more and bring out the bass, I opted for a simple EQ tweak to boost the low-lows and tame the highs. The midrange is, to my adjusted ears, about right, though I had tried several times before to remove the 1 khz hump and boost the 2-3khz region a tad:

 

 

This has actually sounded pretty awesome, despite the fact that I needed to run a -12 dB gain to avoid distortion. For those interested, the curves can be made with "low shelving" - which is rather similar to a straight up high or low-pass.

 

Basically, I am just waiting for Thom Yorke's new CD to come in the mail, and Steven Wilson. Mostly what I need is some new music to obsess over!

post #7897 of 18083

^^ so you actually want more bass? 

post #7898 of 18083

Which way do the 400's lean after burn in?

Do they mellow or become more aggressive?

post #7899 of 18083

The HE-400s have the right quantity of bass. It's the extension that's the problem and the EQ can't really fix that. D2000s I had were definitely better at bass. 

post #7900 of 18083

HE-400 extends supremely well for what it is, even compared to a D2000.

post #7901 of 18083
I can understand his preference for moar bass presence. That's why I prefer the D7000. It fills out the sound more.
post #7902 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Duke View Post

Which way do the 400's lean after burn in?

Do they mellow or become more aggressive?

They do not mellow or become more aggressive. There is no burn in that changes the sound. You may adapt to the sound and perceive it to lean one way or the other, but that's your brain, not the headphones. Whatever you've read to describe the sound will apply during hour one and hour 500.

post #7903 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I can understand his preference for moar bass presence. That's why I prefer the D7000. It fills out the sound more.

Well that's fine obviously. I like a bit more bass but only when I'm listening to something bass heavy such as dubstep. But It's not necessary at all, because the extension is so good.

 

Usually I don't like it that much, what I disliked about the velours were the three 'islands' of sound, bass-mids-treble. Both the bass and treble were boosted, and the seperation is so good, that the sound was a bit incoherent for me. 

post #7904 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

The HE-400s have the right quantity of bass. It's the extension that's the problem and the EQ can't really fix that. D2000s I had were definitely better at bass. 

 

 

Come again?

 

HE-400 is almost perfectly linear until 20hz. 

post #7905 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

^^ so you actually want more bass? 

 

I also use use EQ with boosted low bass basshead.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**