What was the documented benefit of the felt Wayne?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 499post #7471 of 170462/17/13 at 8:49am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7472 of 170462/17/13 at 9:23am
I'm not sure. However, now that others have indicated that the HE-6 felt was a pre-production version. However, here is how the HE-5LE was implemented. As to benefits, changes - improvements, or not, it is about a $1.00 cost, for materials. The only thing lost is time.
Also, while I did sell my pair of HE-400s, I didn't leave the HifiMAN family. The HE-4 model was purchased yesterday and the HE-5LE was paid for today. The HE-4 headphones are in my home now. The HE-5LE will arrive later this week. I'm reluctant to share too many observations between the HE-400 and the others as this process will take a bit of time to start to document these variations. Also, while my HE-400 was sold, I do have access to a pair of HE-400s for all side-by-side comparisons.post #7473 of 170462/17/13 at 9:55amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I can say that after having spent some good hours with the LCD2 that is has the best bass AND mids I have heard to date. HE-400-like bass but better, and HD650-like mids but better. Yup. Treble is it's weak point, but treble is the least important part of sound for me now. More treble would take away from either the bass or mids, so I'm perfectly happy as is.
A shame about it's aesthetics, price, and comfort (not too bothersome, assuming vegan pads noticeably help). It's definitely a headphone I would be happy with alone if it was the only one I owned. The Annie feels like heaven after using the LCD2 though. They STILL continue impress me even after using the LCD2. I'm sure the HE-400 does to (I prefer the HE-400 over the Annie for music).
Vegan pads are similar to velour no? So im guessing that would help a lot. Im like you in that I can't stand leather anymore, velour/vegan is the way to go.post #7474 of 170462/17/13 at 10:09amQuote:
I agree with jerg here.
IMO the LCD-2.2 can sometimes sound like your listening to them in a closet. They can be very congested at times. Treble / highs are the LCD-2.2s weak point no question IMO. The LCD-3s fixed this and the LCD-3s in turn sound more balanced with the same level bass as the LCD-2.2s. At $1K more than the LCD-2.2s this is not an option for most.
Here comes the HiFiMans. Most of the HE-Xs excel in treble and the bass and mids are more in line with the treble. Maybe not the He-400s - can have too much treble at times. The HE-6, HE-5LE, and the HE-500s all have a better balanced sound IMO over the LCD-2.2s. If bass is your thing then yes the LCD-2.2s are for you - if you don't mind a congested sound when compared to HiFiman headphones.
The LCD-2.2s are pretty darn seductive I must say. However, on some Jazz trumpet passages ie.. (Miles Davis) just sounds extraordinary on the HiFimans and the LCD-2.2 sound less appealing in this case, IMO. To be clear Miles on the HE-400s may not work for some.
Edited by preproman - 2/17/13 at 10:28ampost #7475 of 170462/17/13 at 11:01ampost #7476 of 170462/17/13 at 11:33amQuote:
I had to "fix" your statement a bit. I don't imply that the HE-400 is bad in any way. However, once you get to hear some of their other offerings, just watch those Benjamins start flying out of your wallet.post #7477 of 170462/17/13 at 11:33ampost #7478 of 170462/17/13 at 11:41ampost #7479 of 170462/17/13 at 11:52ampost #7480 of 170462/17/13 at 12:04pmQuote:
Analyze the sound with and without E9k, and adjust accordingly.post #7481 of 170462/17/13 at 1:31pmpost #7482 of 170462/17/13 at 1:35pmpost #7483 of 170462/17/13 at 1:38pmQuote:
That's pretty loud. With +12 gain, I usually keep volume on E17 under 30 for HE400, and under 35 for HE500. I do replaygain on all my archived music also.post #7484 of 170462/17/13 at 1:42pm
So I've had a few days with the HE-400, and I have to say, it's a bright headphone. Not overly harsh or sibilant, but it's not exactly a headphone I'd relax to and listen to for hours at a time. I'm already thinking about turning these over and going for the HE-500s.
It's not bright with the pleathers but the velours are much better in mids and detail and things like that (less muddy bass) that I don't think pleather HE-400 is worth it.
These kinds of headphones make a single track sound very good but it can be taxing over the course of a full-length album.post #7485 of 170462/17/13 at 1:44pmQuote:
That's only when I'm Rocking out. I usually listen at about 30-35 when I'm just relaxing.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Help with a few options (HE400 vs. 2900 vs. X1 - - Lyr vs. ALO Pan Am) 1 second ago
- › Searching Earbud or Portable Headphone ~50€ 4 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 19 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 35 seconds ago
- › Diving into the headphone world! => Help 45 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 53 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob