Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 493

post #7381 of 18618

Hey guys, i noticed my HE-400's started to sound lower as of late. It used to be impossible to listen to them at max volume, but now i'm thinking it could go even higher. Even sibilant songs that made my ears bleed are perfectly audible now.

 

Could it be that i'm becoming deaf? or is it really a headphone related issue? Or maybe the myth of Burn-in is not a myth at all...


Edited by Okamoto - 2/15/13 at 2:04pm
post #7382 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

Hey guys, i noticed my HE-400's started to sound lower as of late. It used to be impossible to listen to them at max volume, but now i'm thinking it could go even higher. Even sibilant songs that made my ears bleed are perfectly audible now.

 

Could it be that i'm becoming deaf? or is it really a headphone related issue? Or maybe the myth of Burn-in is not a myth at all...

Haha i have noticed that too, but with another headphone i don't if its me doing hearing dmg to my ear or something else, hope someone can clear this

post #7383 of 18618

Can't believe you guys EQ up the bass. HE-400 has way too much as it stands. The D2000 didn't have close to this much impact, I think it's overdone. 

post #7384 of 18618

I'm struggling mightily to change the pads on the HE-400. Managed to get them out but putting them back in is a nightmare. Any tips?

 

I got two out of the three hooks into the slot. The third one is impossible, wtf do I do?


Edited by jiggahwhat - 2/15/13 at 3:36pm
post #7385 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

I'm struggling mightily to change the pads on the HE-400. Managed to get them out but putting them back in is a nightmare. Any tips?

 

I got two out of the three hooks into the slot. The third one is impossible, wtf do I do?

look for the youtube video, rotate and pull the ring like a rubberband, should go right in. doesn't take a lot of pull to do this. looks daunting but it's very easy

post #7386 of 18618
Thread Starter 

Still waiting on the A2 amp. Today I setup the he400 on a vintage amp with speaker taps. basshead.gif All I can say is that this setup sounds much better than I expected. Where is wje when you need him!! rolleyes.gif

post #7387 of 18618

Denon D2000 vs Hifiman HE-400 (Unamped HE-400 For Now)

 

I’ve sold my D2000s so this review is largely based on memory. But I’m not biased and I was very willing to send these new headphones back if they weren’t adequate. It certainly seems as though many of these kinds of reviews are always very lavishing of praise towards the upgrade very hastily.

 

I became increasingly displeased with the D2000s fatiguing sound signature and disregard for midrange. The comfort was all right but I wanted some more clamping force for a better seal. I also wanted the colored bass-heavy sound signature to be toned down and tightened up a bit. Moreover, the midrange was not only recessed, but incredibly atonal. Vocals sounded tinny, machine-like, and the lively human flavor of a lot of melodic music was just missing. Perhaps most of all, listening to music was a very transient pleasure on the D2000s. I could listen to a single song and find it very engaging, but the treble peaks meant that it was rather uncomfortable to listen to the D2000 for longer than a half hour at a time. Particularly with the electronic music (house, techno, experimental, etc.) that I frequently listen to.

 

First, unamped impressions (waiting for new amp to arrive). Also w/ the pleathers at first, then velours.

 

Sound Quality: First thing that strikes me is that the D2000s had a lot more apparent clarity than the HE-400s. But this is almost entirely attributable to the D2000s exaggerated treble, which gives the illusion of greater clarity.

 

Also seems to me that the HE-400s have substantially more bass impact than the D2000s. I didn’t exactly want this much bass. I’m not a fan of bass impact at all. The D2000 was never this impactful but it always had bass presence and I liked that. Ideally the HE-400s would do the same (of course, the Denons are renowned for their bass quality).  

 

Interesting how the HE-400s totally expose when something has been ripped from vinyl. I’m listening to Four Tet’s DJ Kicks (one of the best all-around music compilations out there) and it’s clear that Showbiz and A.G.’s “Represent” was ripped from vinyl for this mix compilation.

 

I was expecting a fatiguing treble but this is warm as hell compared to the harsh D2000s. I listened closely and I think I can isolate that small frequency bit in the highs that shows up on all the response graphs, because there’s a sliver of treble that gets really sharp. Vocals can at times be sibilant [“Up Against the Wall” (Getaway Car Mix). This headphone makes it very easy to jack up the volume controls because the highs don’t get all piercing on higher volumes.

 

Now I replace to the velour pads. Still have only gotten two of the three hooks into the headphone cup, but I think it works the way it should. I wouldn’t say the mids have opened up so much as the bass has now been tamed. Much less impact and bloat and I think the bass has improved dramatically with this change. There’s a lot more treble overall with this new configuration but strangely it does not seem all that fatiguing, even at the high volumes I am playing at. I think the velour pads are an improvement because I hear a lot less of that boomy bass that reeks of low-end headphones.

 

Vocals are much better versus the D2000, because not only are they less recessed (still less than ideal perhaps) but I can hear the lyrics a lot better. There are many songs where prior I was not able to hear the lyrics intelligibly but now I can hear the vocal characteristics of the singer and the words much better.

 

Comfort: I guess it’s heavier than the D2000s but this doesn’t faze me in the slightest. I love the clamp on these. The D2000s would routinely fall off my head or shift around and I did not enjoy that. This has clamp and I don’t think it’s excessive (I’m on the lowest headband setting btw). The padding on the headband is just fine, but of course I don’t think you can really feel it unless you have a short haircut.

 

Build: The build of the headphone is great. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it really. The cable is thick and nice, but how god awful are the connectors? I’m fumbling around trying to screw these in, and you can’t stick your fingers in there to screw it in properly because of the cups. The D2000s cable was great in build quality but had the worst design ever. Cables would never manage to stay untangled for longer than 10 seconds. The cable tangled up on the D2000s so much I just stopped bothering trying to untangle it after the first week. 

 

Conclusion: The HE-400 removes a lot of the weaknesses of the D2000 while providing a similar level of performance. With the velour pads, the sound strongly resembles that of the D2000. But it boosts up the midrange and doesn't seem quite as harsh and fatiguing on the high-end. However, until I pair this with an amp, I’m not going make a final judgment on this headphone. 


Edited by jiggahwhat - 2/15/13 at 4:19pm
post #7388 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

Denon D2000 vs Hifiman HE-400 (Unamped HE-400 For Now)

 

I’ve sold my D2000s so this review is largely based on memory. But I’m not biased and I was very willing to send these new headphones back if they weren’t adequate. It certainly seems as though many of these kinds of reviews are always very lavishing of praise towards the upgrade very hastily.

 

I became increasingly displeased with the D2000s fatiguing sound signature and disregard for midrange. The comfort was all right but I wanted some more clamping force for a better seal. I also wanted the colored bass-heavy sound signature to be toned down and tightened up a bit. Moreover, the midrange was not only recessed, but incredibly atonal. Vocals sounded tinny, machine-like, and the lively human flavor of a lot of melodic music was just missing. Perhaps most of all, listening to music was a very transient pleasure on the D2000s. I could listen to a single song and find it very engaging, but the treble peaks meant that it was rather uncomfortable to listen to the D2000 for longer than a half hour at a time. Particularly with the electronic music (house, techno, experimental, etc.) that I frequently listen to.

 

First, unamped impressions (waiting for new amp to arrive). Also w/ the pleathers at first, then velours.

 

Sound Quality: First thing that strikes me is that the D2000s had a lot more apparent clarity than the HE-400s. But this is almost entirely attributable to the D2000s exaggerated treble, which gives the illusion of greater clarity.

 

Also seems to me that the HE-400s have substantially more bass impact than the D2000s. I didn’t exactly want this much bass. I’m not a fan of bass impact at all. The D2000 was never this impactful but it always had bass presence and I liked that. Ideally the HE-400s would do the same (of course, the Denons are renowned for their bass quality).  

 

Interesting how the HE-400s totally expose when something has been ripped from vinyl. I’m listening to Four Tet’s DJ Kicks (one of the best all-around music compilations out there) and it’s clear that Showbiz and A.G.’s “Represent” was ripped from vinyl for this mix compilation.

 

I was expecting a fatiguing treble but this is warm as hell compared to the harsh D2000s. I listened closely and I think I can isolate that small frequency bit in the highs that shows up on all the response graphs, because there’s a sliver of treble that gets really sharp. Vocals can at times be sibilant [“Up Against the Wall” (Getaway Car Mix). This headphone makes it very easy to jack up the volume controls because the highs don’t get all piercing on higher volumes.

 

Now I replace to the velour pads. Still have only gotten two of the three hooks into the headphone cup, but I think it works the way it should. I wouldn’t say the mids have opened up so much as the bass has now been tamed. Much less impact and bloat and I think the bass has improved dramatically with this change. There’s a lot more treble overall with this new configuration but strangely it does not seem all that fatiguing, even at the high volumes I am playing at. I think the velour pads are an improvement because I hear a lot less of that boomy bass that reeks of low-end headphones.

 

Vocals are much better versus the D2000, because not only are they less recessed (still less than ideal perhaps) but I can hear the lyrics a lot better. There are many songs where prior I was not able to hear the lyrics intelligibly but now I can hear the vocal characteristics of the singer and the words much better.

 

Comfort: I guess it’s heavier than the D2000s but this doesn’t faze me in the slightest. I love the clamp on these. The D2000s would routinely fall off my head or shift around and I did not enjoy that. This has clamp and I don’t think it’s excessive (I’m on the lowest headband setting btw). The padding on the headband is just fine, but of course I don’t think you can really feel it unless you have a short haircut.

 

Build: The build of the headphone is great. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it really. The cable is thick and nice, but how god awful are the connectors? I’m fumbling around trying to screw these in, and you can’t stick your fingers in there to screw it in properly because of the cups. The D2000s cable was great in build quality but had the worst design ever. Cables would never manage to stay untangled for longer than 10 seconds. The cable tangled up on the D2000s so much I just stopped bothering trying to untangle it after the first week. 

 

Conclusion: The HE-400 removes a lot of the weaknesses of the D2000 while providing a similar level of performance. With the velour pads, the sound strongly resembles that of the D2000. But it boosts up the midrange and doesn't seem quite as harsh and fatiguing on the high-end. However, until I pair this with an amp, I’m not going make a final judgment on this headphone. 

 

Nice write upbeerchug.gif

post #7389 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

My post?

Nope..my ipad posted my same post twice..so weird!eek.gif

post #7390 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

Denon D2000 vs Hifiman HE-400 (Unamped HE-400 For Now)

 

I’ve sold my D2000s so this review is largely based on memory. But I’m not biased and I was very willing to send these new headphones back if they weren’t adequate. It certainly seems as though many of these kinds of reviews are always very lavishing of praise towards the upgrade very hastily.

 

I became increasingly displeased with the D2000s fatiguing sound signature and disregard for midrange. The comfort was all right but I wanted some more clamping force for a better seal. I also wanted the colored bass-heavy sound signature to be toned down and tightened up a bit. Moreover, the midrange was not only recessed, but incredibly atonal. Vocals sounded tinny, machine-like, and the lively human flavor of a lot of melodic music was just missing. Perhaps most of all, listening to music was a very transient pleasure on the D2000s. I could listen to a single song and find it very engaging, but the treble peaks meant that it was rather uncomfortable to listen to the D2000 for longer than a half hour at a time. Particularly with the electronic music (house, techno, experimental, etc.) that I frequently listen to.

 

First, unamped impressions (waiting for new amp to arrive). Also w/ the pleathers at first, then velours.

 

Sound Quality: First thing that strikes me is that the D2000s had a lot more apparent clarity than the HE-400s. But this is almost entirely attributable to the D2000s exaggerated treble, which gives the illusion of greater clarity.

 

Also seems to me that the HE-400s have substantially more bass impact than the D2000s. I didn’t exactly want this much bass. I’m not a fan of bass impact at all. The D2000 was never this impactful but it always had bass presence and I liked that. Ideally the HE-400s would do the same (of course, the Denons are renowned for their bass quality).  

 

Interesting how the HE-400s totally expose when something has been ripped from vinyl. I’m listening to Four Tet’s DJ Kicks (one of the best all-around music compilations out there) and it’s clear that Showbiz and A.G.’s “Represent” was ripped from vinyl for this mix compilation.

 

I was expecting a fatiguing treble but this is warm as hell compared to the harsh D2000s. I listened closely and I think I can isolate that small frequency bit in the highs that shows up on all the response graphs, because there’s a sliver of treble that gets really sharp. Vocals can at times be sibilant [“Up Against the Wall” (Getaway Car Mix). This headphone makes it very easy to jack up the volume controls because the highs don’t get all piercing on higher volumes.

 

Now I replace to the velour pads. Still have only gotten two of the three hooks into the headphone cup, but I think it works the way it should. I wouldn’t say the mids have opened up so much as the bass has now been tamed. Much less impact and bloat and I think the bass has improved dramatically with this change. There’s a lot more treble overall with this new configuration but strangely it does not seem all that fatiguing, even at the high volumes I am playing at. I think the velour pads are an improvement because I hear a lot less of that boomy bass that reeks of low-end headphones.

 

Vocals are much better versus the D2000, because not only are they less recessed (still less than ideal perhaps) but I can hear the lyrics a lot better. There are many songs where prior I was not able to hear the lyrics intelligibly but now I can hear the vocal characteristics of the singer and the words much better.

 

Comfort: I guess it’s heavier than the D2000s but this doesn’t faze me in the slightest. I love the clamp on these. The D2000s would routinely fall off my head or shift around and I did not enjoy that. This has clamp and I don’t think it’s excessive (I’m on the lowest headband setting btw). The padding on the headband is just fine, but of course I don’t think you can really feel it unless you have a short haircut.

 

Build: The build of the headphone is great. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it really. The cable is thick and nice, but how god awful are the connectors? I’m fumbling around trying to screw these in, and you can’t stick your fingers in there to screw it in properly because of the cups. The D2000s cable was great in build quality but had the worst design ever. Cables would never manage to stay untangled for longer than 10 seconds. The cable tangled up on the D2000s so much I just stopped bothering trying to untangle it after the first week. 

 

Conclusion: The HE-400 removes a lot of the weaknesses of the D2000 while providing a similar level of performance. With the velour pads, the sound strongly resembles that of the D2000. But it boosts up the midrange and doesn't seem quite as harsh and fatiguing on the high-end. However, until I pair this with an amp, I’m not going make a final judgment on this headphone. 

You HAVE to hear these with an Amp. ANY Amp. I'm using a portable (FiiO E17) on mine right now and it beats the crap out of my iPod power alone. They also improve at both ends after some break-in. Mine are in there with my daughter right now (she's volunteered to help break them in). She says they sound GREAT!  tongue.gif

post #7391 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

You HAVE to hear these with an Amp. ANY Amp. I'm using a portable (FiiO E17) on mine right now and it beats the crap out of my iPod power alone. They also improve at both ends after some break-in. Mine are in there with my daughter right now (she's volunteered to help break them in). She says they sound GREAT!  tongue.gif

+1 agree completely..any planar profits from some amping...especially some quality amping..wink.gif

post #7392 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

+1 agree completely..any planar profits from some amping...especially some quality amping..wink.gif

I'm getting ready to do just that. My little FiiO E17 is great, but I want something with a little more power to spare... I can't decide if I want to go all Solid State or with a Hybrid. My big gripe with Hybrids are the background noise created by the Tubes. I've seen a lot of reports the Lyr has it in spades. True? Have no idea, but I've seen it posted more than once... Also heard they have a turn on/off "THUMP" sometimes... That's a concern with that much power.  I may just play it safe and go with the FiiO. I already have the E17... The O2 doesn't have much power... Only about 2/3 that of the FiiO. Hmmmm.... Tough call. 


Edited by bareyb - 2/15/13 at 6:04pm
post #7393 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

I'm getting ready to do just that. My little FiiO E17 is great, but I want something with a little more power to spare... I can't decide if I want to go all Solid State or with a Hybrid. My big gripe with Hybrids are the background noise created by the Tubes. I've seen a lot of reports the Asgard has it in spades. True? Have no idea, but I've seen it posted more than once... Also heard they have a turn on/off "THUMP" sometimes... That's a concern with that much power.  I may just play it safe and go with the FiiO. I already have the E17... The O2 doesn't have much power... Only about 2/3 that of the FiiO. Hmmmm.... Tough call. 

Background noise??? What ru talking bout? My full tube amp is dead silent..okay i admit i have the right tubes in it.and its not as cheap as the asgard..but still...not every tube/hybrid amp is noisy..if an amp is noisy in general then its a quality flaw imho

But if ur really hestitate to get a tube amp..try the mstage..its cheap and pairs really well with the he300/400 and the 500.. I had them all..and all were driven perfectly by the little onewink.gif

post #7394 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Still waiting on the A2 amp. Today I setup the he400 on a vintage amp with speaker taps. basshead.gif
 All I can say is that this setup sounds much better than I expected. Where is wje when you need him!! rolleyes.gif

Do the he400s benefit from the increased power of the taps??
post #7395 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkil View Post


Do the he400s benefit from the increased power of the taps??

Running a he400 from speaker taps is a bit of an overkill for the he400.. Get urself a good quality headphone amp which is not to analitic siunding and ur ready to gowink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**