Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 483

post #7231 of 18437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xprime4 View Post

I'm looking at these at the moment.

 

They'll be mostly use at home, most of the time i just fall asleep with my music.

are the metal part on the side solid? can i fall asleep with them without worriying about founding them destroyed next morning?

 

 

are they good for Rap and RnB?

How different the amp bring the sound compared to an ipod touch 4gen?

portable amp possible?


As long as you don't toss and turn a lot after falling asleep, they should be fine...they are quite solid and quality built.  I think they are pretty spectacular for Rap/R&B/Soul personally.  I would definitely advise that you get an amp.  For a portable setup, I would have to recommend the Fiio E17 (though I've not personally tried it) - it seems to be a good pairing for most HE-400 owners.  Plus, it's EQ and features are said to be very good.  The best way to use it with an iPod is with a LOD (line out adapter http://www.fiio.com.cn//upFile/20125494653.jpg ).  Otherwise, you could connect it to a laptop via USB.  How portable would you like it to be?

post #7232 of 18437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xprime4 View Post

I'm looking at these at the moment.

 

They'll be mostly use at home, most of the time i just fall asleep with my music.

are the metal part on the side solid? can i fall asleep with them without worriying about founding them destroyed next morning?

 

I primarily watch movies with these headphones, sitting in a chair that's so comfy, falling asleep has become the norm. I've zonked a couple of times with the HE-400s on my head. Once while listening to music- I woke up later and they were still on my head. The other night I crashed watching a movie and woke up with them kind of smooshed between me and the chair. They were fine though.

 

I'm not sure they would work well with a pillow but in my recliner they're OK. The cups don't push forward very much when my head is all the way back. They're not the most comfortable headphones in my opinion. It's their only shortcoming for me. I have since sent the DT990 Pros back but compared to the HE-400s... the 990s were like wearing a cloud haha... The HE-400s just sound too good to me to not keep and they are comfortable enough. Now that the 990s are gone, it's likely I'll get more used to how the HE-400s feel.

post #7233 of 18437
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

Anyone use these with a C421 (OPA227) or a E09k?

 

I'm kind of interested in getting a pair of HE-400 for home, where I really never listen for more than an hour at a time, so the comfort wouldn't be much of an issue. In general, I'm fairly sensitive when it comes to head clamp/pressure on the jaws. 

 

I've got both a HD600 and HD650 currently (one for the office and one for home, though I haven't decided yet), but there is enough overlap in sound, that I'm tempted to try the HE-400 and let one of them go. That being said, I'd rather not pump a lot into an amp for home where I don't listen much. I already have a C421 and just ordered a E09k, maybe to use at home.

 

I have an e09k with them and it's a good pairing. Good punch on the bass and the e09 rolls off the highs a touch which turns out to be an advantage IMO. 

post #7234 of 18437

Am seriously considering adding mass to the headband of some of my other headphones to add extra weight to make them more like the HE-400 on my head.

 

Is that weird of me?

 

Also, plugged in my Schiit Modi to my Little Dot MKIII and it works really well with the HE-400. I think those that believe the Modi to be the weak link in the M&M stack should try it with something relatively warm or intimate like a tube amp. Shocked with how well it pairs, really. Might buy another Modi to use with the LDMKIII for the HE-300 for my fiancee's rig.


Edited by ninjames - 2/11/13 at 12:32pm
post #7235 of 18437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

Am seriously considering adding mass to the headband of some of my other headphones to add extra weight to make them more like the HE-400 on my head.

 

Is that weird of me?

 

Also, plugged in my Schiit Modi to my Little Dot MKIII and it works really well with the HE-400. I think those that believe the Modi to be the weak link in the M&M stack should try it with something relatively warm or intimate like a tube amp. Shocked with how well it pairs, really. Might buy another Modi to use with the LDMKIII for the HE-300 for my fiancee's rig.

Yes, it's very weird. I can't imagine anyone wanting HE-400-like weight (it's not bad, just can't imagine it being desirable). Hopefully your head doesn't roll off. 

JK. Hopefully you enjoy the MKIIIs, they were a pleasure when I still had my own. 

 

 

I currently have a rare opportunity to spring for HE-4s, HE5-LEs AND HE-6s. Should I trade the 400s for the 4s, then move up to the 6 later on? Or just wait until I can afford the HE-6? The 4s are often touted as being similar to the 6, so my plans would be to grab a taste, see if I like them, and if not go for the HE-5LE (which I did get to hear, and unequivalently destroys the 500s hands down (yay hyperbole)) 

post #7236 of 18437

So the e17 is good for the he-400?    would it drive preety much any heaphone properly? Can it play while chargimg?

post #7237 of 18437

Oh and is the dac better the the ipod touch 4g one? Othwise i wont really need the dac, can i get a stronger amp for arpund the same price?

post #7238 of 18437
Thread Starter 

For those who would like to hear some SERIOUS bass licks on the he400 do this:

 

Go to this link: http://archive.org/details/ryanadams2006-10-17.sbd.flac16

 

Look on the upper left by download/play.

 

Click the "new lossless."

 

Download the flac files and listen to Ryan Adams lay down some serious tunes live. Completely free and legit. I saw this over this the music forum here.

 

Enjoy!!

post #7239 of 18437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xprime4 View Post

So the e17 is good for the he-400?    would it drive preety much any heaphone properly? Can it play while chargimg?

yes, mostly, and yes

 

and yes the output is better than the ipod...maybe not so much because of the DAC but the ipod has some built in roll-off (AFAIK). anyways, i notice a difference.  the e17 gets plenty loud with the 400's, although when i use my old sony amp it does sound better enough that i'm saving for a proper desktop

post #7240 of 18437
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

For those who would like to hear some SERIOUS bass licks on the he400 do this:

 

Go to this link: http://archive.org/details/ryanadams2006-10-17.sbd.flac16

 

Look on the upper left by download/play.

 

Click the "new lossless."

 

Download the flac files and listen to Ryan Adams lay down some serious tunes live. Completely free and legit. I saw this over this the music forum here.

 

Enjoy!!

Im following that thread also. Some great free stuff going on there.

post #7241 of 18437

This is my second visit.

I had chance to attend Magnetics13 conference in Orlando, and learned that Neo magnet of planar magnetic driver (?) is dominated by China 97%. The issues at the conference were how to overcome this barrier in terms of technological and geopolitical solution... kind of things.

 

By this simple reason of abundant Neo magnet availability allows Hifiman's planar driver based headphone price is almost 50% of that of USA made.

 

I am listening "the rite of spring" of Stravinsky and some Wagner's Siegfried, through Matrix mini->Little dot mkvii+ at 11 oclock position on balanced cable.

The sound is amazing (especially for Stravinsky), which is far contrast to HD650 in balance cable that produced to rough or grainy and too high frequency dominated sound. This experience made me to sell Hd650.

Is this due to my set-up of machines or He-400 is toleranct to recording?

I should mention that when I changed from SE to balanced cable for HE 400, tonal balance has been greatly improved almost as good as HD 650. Prior to the change my HE400 seems there is so weak high that I returned always back to HE-5LE or HD 650.

 

Another thing is that my HE-5LE at 1 oclock has good sounding with same set-up, and I do not feel some upgrade for amplifier output.

This is some contradicting fact to what I have read in this thread.

post #7242 of 18437

As I sell off some surplus gear and mentally prepare myself for less time here on the forums, I wanted to share a little "send-off" of my HE-400s before they get all packed up for their trip to the new owner.  I made up a new, snazzy cable of Mogami Quad Neglex with Techflex and a Neutrik 1/4" connector.

 

I don't think I'm leaving the HifiMAN entirely.  I may go back to where it all started for me - the HE-5LE.  It takes a bit more juice, but I'm not afraid, and that's not a real issue for me.

 

 

 

 


Edited by wje - 2/11/13 at 6:29pm
post #7243 of 18437

A send-off? Like send it to people to try them? I'd LOVE to.

post #7244 of 18437

Cables on the HE-400 have pretty much come apart completely at the strain relief. Sigh, will have to find the time to go into the store and swap them (I think I'm still on warranty). And since the Audezes are in the my friend's office, I've been stuck with the HD428 as movie cans the whole weekend. Dang, the mids are clear on these. It's a different kind of clarity from the not-so-planar mids of the 400s, but still pretty nice.

post #7245 of 18437
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Cables on the HE-400 have pretty much come apart completely at the strain relief. Sigh, will have to find the time to go into the store and swap them (I think I'm still on warranty). And since the Audezes are in the my friend's office, I've been stuck with the HD428 as movie cans the whole weekend. Dang, the mids are clear on these. It's a different kind of clarity from the not-so-planar mids of the 400s, but still pretty nice.

 

I've noticed over the past few years, the HifiMAN factory cables are getting cheaper.  Instead of using good quality connectors, they are having the cables mass produced and the connectors are molded onto the cables themselves.  The strain relief that they provide is short lived.  If you can get your hands on some shrink-tube, I'd put some of that on over the current strain relief pieces, then heat it a bit with a hair drying to tighten things up.  This will provide a longer life for your cables.

 

Best of luck,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**