Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 477

post #7141 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Well, in my case - based on my experience, the situation recommended for you would be as follows:

 

1) Purchase the Schiit Magni amplifier.  It is a solid piece.  It performs well.  It is very good for the cost.

 

2) Purchase the Muse Mini DAC, which is based on the Burr-Brown PCM 2704 chip.  It features the option of accepting a USB input.  It can also convert the USB to an optical or digital COAX signal if you have a future DAC or combo that may require a digital input to play music that is higher than 16-bit tracks.

 

Cost: At the moment, the costs would be approximately $130.00, for both pieces and before shipping.  This would mean that you would have a powerful amp to drive a potential future Audeze purchase, as well as some flexibility on the DAC end, and have a DAC that has a reasonable / good house sound that Burr-Brown is known for.

 

PayPal Payment: No need to send me a $1.00.  Please feel free to donate it to your local charity instead.

 

Thank you!

On the DAC part, I currently own the Bifrost. I use a standard USB AB cable to connect the laptop to the DAC. Is there/Can you recommend a better cable/accessory that will connect the USB out of the laptop to say the optical in on the DAC ?

 

Thanks

post #7142 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caessa View Post

Switched to the velours today, and it really upped the enjoyment level of my HE-400.  Now I'm really interested in what the pleather mod will do to the sound, but I'm nervous that I'll mess something up >.>

 

If you do end up trying the pleather mod, a word of advice, don't use the same dust screen that's on the pleathers currently. It's thicker than the velour dust screen so it attenuates the treble slightly and makes for a darker sound. Some may like that but it seems to mask some of the micro details making things slightly harder to hear. I also found that I needed to turn the volume up a little higher to achieve the same volume as velours.

 

I had to go back to velour because of this, since I super glued that pleather dust screen on so it's impossible for me to change it now. It's a shame because jergpad is simply the most balanced sound I've heard from these headphones.

post #7143 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

If you do end up trying the pleather mod, a word of advice, don't use the same dust screen that's on the pleathers currently. It's thicker than the velour dust screen so it attenuates the treble slightly and makes for a darker sound. Some may like that but it seems to mask some of the micro details making things slightly harder to hear. I also found that I needed to turn the volume up a little higher to achieve the same volume as velours.

 

I had to go back to velour because of this, since I super glued that pleather dust screen on so it's impossible for me to change it now. It's a shame because jergpad is simply the most balanced sound I've heard from these headphones.

Ouch, thanks for the advice.  I'll order a fresh pair of velours before I try it out then.

post #7144 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

If you do end up trying the pleather mod, a word of advice, don't use the same dust screen that's on the pleathers currently. It's thicker than the velour dust screen so it attenuates the treble slightly and makes for a darker sound. Some may like that but it seems to mask some of the micro details making things slightly harder to hear. I also found that I needed to turn the volume up a little higher to achieve the same volume as velours.

 

I had to go back to velour because of this, since I super glued that pleather dust screen on so it's impossible for me to change it now. It's a shame because jergpad is simply the most balanced sound I've heard from these headphones.

Its fairly easy to rip the dust screen off even with superglue actually, the hardened superglue stays on the dust screen rather than on the mounting ring plastic.

post #7145 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

LFF does modifications to mini XLR with the cups painted and a new cable.

 

http://referencesounds.com/services.html#!/~/product/category=3569298&id=18603358

 

I keep seeing that picture of those modified cups for the HifiMAN headphones and think "Man, those mini-XLR connectors really hang down a lot. Too bad they didn't angle them on the cup instead."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

On the DAC part, I currently own the Bifrost. I use a standard USB AB cable to connect the laptop to the DAC. Is there/Can you recommend a better cable/accessory that will connect the USB out of the laptop to say the optical in on the DAC ?

 

Thanks

 

Greetings!  Actually, I mis-quoted the information for that particular DAC.  It is actually a USB "in" and can act as a DAC that way.  Or, it can act as a USB to Digital connection converter.  So, in using it in this manner, it would by-pass the DAC component and go to the optical or digital co-ax output and onto another DAC.  Yes - tedious.  Yet, plenty of devices are sold in such a manner for this purpose from Fiio, Musiland and many other companies.  However, under the manufacturer, Muse, they make others that accept a digital S/PDIF input, as well as USB input.  The one I have is USB input only, to function as a DAC.

post #7146 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Its fairly easy to rip the dust screen off even with superglue actually, the hardened superglue stays on the dust screen rather than on the mounting ring plastic.

 

I'll give that a try, but not too sure it will help. I seem to have used some kind of military grade super glue, the fumes alone left some blemishes on my table from when it was drying lol Totally ruined my desk.

post #7147 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caessa View Post

Ouch, thanks for the advice.  I'll order a fresh pair of velours before I try it out then.

 

You could just use some stocking or pantyhose, you don't need to tear up your velours to do it.

post #7148 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

I'll give that a try, but not too sure it will help. I seem to have used some kind of military grade super glue, the fumes alone left some blemishes on my table from when it was drying lol Totally ruined my desk.

Worse comes to worst, just use a flathead screwdriver and carefully work off the glue residues after you rip the fabric off.

post #7149 of 17985

I'll do it once I get more super glue, it ran out last time I used it.

post #7150 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

I keep seeing that picture of those modified cups for the HifiMAN headphones and think "Man, those mini-XLR connectors really hang down a lot. Too bad they didn't angle them on the cup instead."

 

+1

I agree with you, angled connectors would be nice. REV 5.......lol

post #7151 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burju View Post

 

+1

I agree with you, angled connectors would be nice. REV 5.......lol

 

I wonder if possibly MTV would come out with a new TV show?  Pimp My Cups?   Bling, Bling!  biggrin.gif

 

Also, on the site for customizing, I see they didn't list the HE-300.  Why?  Similar cup, but could also get some similar lovin' too.

post #7152 of 17985
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

I wonder if possibly MTV would come out with a new TV show?  Pimp My Cups?   Bling, Bling!  biggrin.gif

 

Also, on the site for customizing, I see they didn't list the HE-300.  Why?  Similar cup, but could also get some similar lovin' too.

 

I want even make a comment here...just know that I'm chuckling. biggrin.gif

 

I spent the evening trying out dacs and amps. Here is a quickie report.

 

1. The m/m is impressive for the money. I prefer the magni over the modi. The modi just seems to make the music sound too thin. 

 

2. Compared to the m/m combo the e09/e07 is darker/warmer. And not by a small margin. In some instances, depending on the material, it was preferable.  

 

3. The odac improved the overall sound for both the magni and the e09. The magni was slightly better when using the odac as dac.

 

This is all I have to say...

post #7153 of 17985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post



1. The m/m is impressive for the money. I prefer the magni over the modi. The modi just seems to make the music sound too thin. 

Exactly how I feel. The Magni is a better amp, than the Modi is a dac.

2. Compared to the m/m combo the e09/e07 is darker/warmer. And not by a small margin. In some instances, depending on the material, it was preferable.  

I too felt that way. I really like the E9K's signature. People love darker/warmer amps, yet bash the Fiio. I'm still wondering why. It's a great amp, with the only shortcoming being it's high output impedance.


3. The odac improved the overall sound for both the magni and the e09. The magni was slightly better when using the odac as dac.

Agreed again. The ODAC is stupid good, and I think if sound is what mattered over looks, the ODAC is worth it as the DAC for both.


Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/9/13 at 5:29am
post #7154 of 17985
Thread Starter 

^^ In an odd twist, the o2 just doesn't do it for me at all. But yes, the odac is just a tremendous dac for the money. 

post #7155 of 17985
I didn't get the O2, but it's design just bothered me, unless I got a custom one with all the inputs on the back. Just...no.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**