Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 443

post #6631 of 18156
Thread Starter 

^^ You can get a nice set of pads for them for $80. biggrin.gif

 

Or half a custom cable. tongue.gif

post #6632 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post


I'd gladly pay $80 for them

 

You'll be waiting an awfully long time then.  Do you happen to own the HE-400s?  Have you followed Jerg's thread on pads?  Have you been present during many of these discussions?  For the price, this is an outstanding pair of headphones.

 

Is it my "end-all, be-all" pair of headphones?  No. I do like to keep a few headphones in inventory so I can have some variation in my listening patterns and music genres.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ You can get a nice set of pads for them for $80. biggrin.gif

 

Or half a custom cable. tongue.gif

 

 

I'd gladly build a whole custom cable for $80.  I just don't want to be a MOT.  My local Guitar Center now sells the Mogami Quad Neglex for $1.08 a linear foot.  One of the best "bang for the buck" cable materials, IMO.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Here is a nice custom cable made by one of our own members MOT...looks nice and very reasonably priced.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647755/hifi-man-cable-for-he-6-he-500-he-400-he-300-he-4

 

 

I saw that cable a few days earlier.  When it comes to Techflex, I'm not a fan of it when used on headphone cables.  The non-microphonic nylon sleeve materials are quite a bit more flexible and comfortable.  But, $50 for that cable is literally a steal.


Edited by wje - 1/30/13 at 4:09pm
post #6633 of 18156
Thread Starter 

Here is a nice custom cable made by one of our own members MOT...looks nice and very reasonably priced.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647755/hifi-man-cable-for-he-6-he-500-he-400-he-300-he-4

post #6634 of 18156

Well, I picked up a pair of the HE-4 last night (well, collected them last night... bought them a few weeks back) planning to compare them to the HE-400.

 

Not really A/Bed them yet, but it sounds like the HE-4 suffers a lot less from the recessed mids I feel throws the HE-400's balance out.  Listening to this track:

 

The trumpets and mark knopfler's voice are just so there and with such an amazing texture with the HE-4.  I don't recall being this amazed by the sound with the HE-400.  My initial impression is that the HE-4 is more balanced, and a bit slower and thicker.  The double bass on that track sounds a lot 'fatter' than i recall hearing it before.  Fares less well with fast recordings, so the HE-400 definitely better for people who like that bass amount for dubstep and the like.

post #6635 of 18156

While the HE-400 is a relatively economical headphone solution, looking around the entire market, you routinely see MSRPs well above any reasonable COGS estimate. Quality audio is becoming a luxury good and it's a shame it has to be this way. 

 

I was reading a thread last week about how $500 has become the new mid-range. Where will we be in 2020? A $1000 mid-range headphone? Certainly the sound quality is not appreciating at this rate.  

 

So I support any sort of campaign for consumers to exercise their market power to further affordability. 

post #6636 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Here is a nice custom cable made by one of our own members MOT...looks nice and very reasonably priced.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647755/hifi-man-cable-for-he-6-he-500-he-400-he-300-he-4

 

I can actually vouch for Tim's cable for the he-400. Got it to see how much difference a balanced connection could make to the headphones. After a few days of use, I can definitely notice a better impact on the bass, brighter highs and overall improvement in sq. Factor in the low price, and this is one of the cheaper ways of going balanced.

post #6637 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errymoose View Post

Well, I picked up a pair of the HE-4 last night (well, collected them last night... bought them a few weeks back) planning to compare them to the HE-400.

 

Not really A/Bed them yet, but it sounds like the HE-4 suffers a lot less from the recessed mids I feel throws the HE-400's balance out.  Listening to this track:

 

 

The trumpets and mark knopfler's voice are just so there and with such an amazing texture with the HE-4.  I don't recall being this amazed by the sound with the HE-400.  My initial impression is that the HE-4 is more balanced, and a bit slower and thicker.  The double bass on that track sounds a lot 'fatter' than i recall hearing it before.  Fares less well with fast recordings, so the HE-400 definitely better for people who like that bass amount for dubstep and the like.

 

I'm not a fan of just trumpet music. I have Botti's CD, the original one, though.  The same goes for Dave Koz and the sax, Mindi Abair on the sax, Joe Satriani on guitar, etc.  Too much of one instrument is way too much overload, IMO.

 

I have had Mark Knopfler playing for the past few hours though.  

 

 

post #6638 of 18156

As far as cables are concerned, I took my first "plunge" into buying something "better" when it came to my RCA cable for my Modi + Magni. I bought the cheapo ones from Monoprice and they required me bending them for them to fit properly. Sound isn't an issue, I just wanted the piece of mind in knowing I have a strong, well-built cable with good bend that isn't going to fall apart. So I bought a Blue Jeans RCA cable for around $25. Perfect price for me, I think.

 

I will eventually fork out a bunch of money for a new cable for my HE-400, but not because I think it will improve things or whatever. I just don't like the stock cable.

post #6639 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

While the HE-400 is a relatively economical headphone solution, looking around the entire market, you routinely see MSRPs well above any reasonable COGS estimate. Quality audio is becoming a luxury good and it's a shame it has to be this way. 

 

I was reading a thread last week about how $500 has become the new mid-range. Where will we be in 2020? A $1000 mid-range headphone? Certainly the sound quality is not appreciating at this rate.  

 

So I support any sort of campaign for consumers to exercise their market power to further affordability. 

 

I'll have to disagree again.  If the new mid-range happens to go to $1,000 - - which it won't in just 7 years, then it will and only because the market is doing what it does. We could discuss economics all day long, and not get anywhere, so I won't take it there.

 

However, I've lived a life of "audio chapters" in my book and where we are in 2013 is a fabulous position.  Why?  You might ask.  Well, in 1986, when I was in the 6th grade, I drooled over the Nakamichi "Dragon" cassette deck.  At the time, it was $1,800 (I believe.)  In today's dollars, that would equate to over $3,700.  Granted, it was a great piece made of impeccable quality in Japan.  Also, cassette systems are a thing of the past, so the argument doesn't hold a lot of water.  But, it points out that today in 2013, investing about $700 - $800 in a headphone rig can get you a very tremendous value.  Finally, though, with your thought pattern regarding the "scorched earth" method of pricing, companies would only be able to start up, operate for a few years, then go bankrupt.

 

Again, just speaking from life experience as I've witnessed and studied business cycles ad nauseum for quite a few years.  I'm a traditionalist.  Slow and steady, is a proven method for success.

post #6640 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

So if you guys want to be in heaven with your HE-400's, you gotta listen to this album:

 

 

Absolutely incredible stuff...

Is that flac?  Igt sounds great, but I'm supposed to be hearing a crackling sound in the beginning right?  Like the kind of "raspy" like effect from a turntable?  

post #6641 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

Is that flac?  Igt sounds great, but I'm supposed to be hearing a crackling sound in the beginning right?  Like the kind of "raspy" like effect from a turntable?  

I don't know what the quality is, but yes that crackling is intentional. 

post #6642 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I don't know what the quality is, but yes that crackling is intentional. 

Oh.. thats just me being a bit paranoid then redface.gif  My he-400s are my new shiny toy...

post #6643 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

Is that flac?  Igt sounds great, but I'm supposed to be hearing a crackling sound in the beginning right?  Like the kind of "raspy" like effect from a turntable?  

Youtube audio is never flac. Here is a handy table. You'll never get insane quality out of it but 192 AAC isn't bad for streaming.

 

     
1080p 192 kbps AAC
720p 192 kbps AAC
480p 128 kbps AAC
360p 128 kbps AAC
240p 60 kbps MP3
post #6644 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

Oh.. thats just me being a bit paranoid then redface.gif  My he-400s are my new shiny toy...

Haha I know what you mean. When I first got them I was freaking out at every little pop I heard. Turns out a lot of different electronica uses grainy stuff intentionally.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent View Post

Youtube audio is never flac. Here is a handy table. You'll never get insane quality out of it but 192 AAC isn't bad for streaming.

 

     
1080p 192 kbps AAC
720p 192 kbps AAC
480p 128 kbps AAC
360p 128 kbps AAC
240p 60 kbps MP3
 

Nice, thanks for the chart. 192kbps AAC is good enough for me, that's really close to transparent. 

post #6645 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent View Post

Youtube audio is never flac. Here is a handy table. You'll never get insane quality out of it but 192 AAC isn't bad for streaming.

 

     
1080p 192 kbps AAC
720p 192 kbps AAC
480p 128 kbps AAC
360p 128 kbps AAC
240p 60 kbps MP3

Hmm.. that's interesting.  Is there some program out there that lets you test tracks to find out what their bitrate is?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**