Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 433

post #6481 of 17742

During the past few discussions on the HE-400 paint options, I had a bit of a flashback to a few years back.  At the time, I was an AV123 speaker fanboy.  I had a pair of their X-LS speakers, which were designed by Danny Richie but they were in a maple finish that just never pleased me.  Instead, I dissected the speakers, spent countless hours on prepping the cabinets for another finish.  I settled on a "hammered metal" look by using a spray which is manufactured by Rust-Oleum.  They have 3 or 4 color variants in this tone and while the picture doesn't truly show how dark the finish actually was, it was a deeper pewter / titanium-like finish. I'd love to see this on my HE-400s to make them "one of a kind."  Hmm ... is wje considering more mods so he can live up to the signature for his ID here?  wink.gif   Possibly, but no promises just yet.

 

 

 

 

 

post #6482 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I propose splitting this thread into two parts:

 

  • The HifiMAN HE-400 Impressions and Discussions Thread --- Where we can discuss the merits of the HE-400 as well as touch on the merits or weaknesses along with amplification, DACification for the headphones as well as potential improvements that could be made.

 

  • The HifiMAN HE-400 "Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards" Thread --- Where theory can be discussed or disputed, members can say "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" to other members where they disagree with them and they want to take 15+ posts to attempt to provide justification for using "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" when attempting to conduct a logical discussion.

Hey it wasn't the #2 most active Head-fi thread for nothing, anything can happen here.

post #6483 of 17742

Next you'll be trying to tell me that this is the first thread in which the subject under discussion has been relegated to peripheral status. tongue.gif

post #6484 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Not discrediting it. Just calling the majority of it hyperbole. I mean, it sounds like you're trying hard to sell the mod to everyone. As usual, the bandwagon will chime in and back you up, just as they did when the velours became popular, then when the pleathers came back into popularity (wtf?), and then the J$ pads, and then this mod, etc. Every time something new comes in (or even old), the sheep follow. If someone says it, it surely must be so. There is no straight consensus, just constant back and forths where everyone agrees with everyone else.

People are so easily swayed by constantly changing opinions, it's funny to see it unfolding.

There is a very clear change in sound though. However they're not all good. The velours have a bigger soundstage, and imaging is a bit better/more apparent.

But the jergpads are much more balanced sounding.

However, I am still trying to perfect the mod. Trying out many different things.

 

Do you live in a warm climate? It's a constant 22 degrees celcius in my house, but the pleathers remain very cool.

post #6485 of 17742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I propose splitting this thread into two parts:

 

  • The HifiMAN HE-400 Impressions and Discussions Thread --- Where we can discuss the merits of the HE-400 as well as touch on the merits or weaknesses along with amplification, DACification for the headphones as well as potential improvements that could be made.

 

  • The HifiMAN HE-400 "Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards" Thread --- Where theory can be discussed or disputed, members can say "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" to other members where they disagree with them and they want to take 15+ posts to attempt to provide justification for using "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" when attempting to conduct a logical discussion.

 

lol...+3. Tom Waits correct? Your reference was not lost on me Wayne. We have similar taste in music it seems. I bought that whole 3 disc collection but never got into it like Mule Variations and some of the earlier work. I have been listening to several selection from Waits this morning. Sounds good, actually really good on the he400. 

post #6486 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

During the past few discussions on the HE-400 paint options, I had a bit of a flashback to a few years back.  At the time, I was an AV123 speaker fanboy.  I had a pair of their X-LS speakers, which were designed by Danny Richie but they were in a maple finish that just never pleased me.  Instead, I dissected the speakers, spent countless hours on prepping the cabinets for another finish.  I settled on a "hammered metal" look by using a spray which is manufactured by Rust-Oleum.  They have 3 or 4 color variants in this tone and while the picture doesn't truly show how dark the finish actually was, it was a deeper pewter / titanium-like finish. I'd love to see this on my HE-400s to make them "one of a kind."  Hmm ... is wje considering more mods so he can live up to the signature for his ID here?  wink.gif   Possibly, but no promises just yet.

 

 

 

*snip*

 

*snip*

 

 

That color would look really good on the HE-400, especially in matte. 

post #6487 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I propose splitting this thread into two parts:

 

  • The HifiMAN HE-400 Impressions and Discussions Thread --- Where we can discuss the merits of the HE-400 as well as touch on the merits or weaknesses along with amplification, DACification for the headphones as well as potential improvements that could be made.

 

  • The HifiMAN HE-400 "Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards" Thread --- Where theory can be discussed or disputed, members can say "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" to other members where they disagree with them and they want to take 15+ posts to attempt to provide justification for using "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" when attempting to conduct a logical discussion.

 

W,

 

You crack me up..

 

 

400

post #6488 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

lol...+3. Tom Waits correct? Your reference was not lost on me Wayne. We have similar taste in music it seems. I bought that whole 3 disc collection but never got into it like Mule Variations and some of the earlier work. I have been listening to several selection from Waits this morning. Sounds good, actually really good on the he400. 

 

Yes, you noticed it quickly.  It really appears we have a lot of parallel tastes with music.  I love Tom.  Excellent gravelly voice (soaked in cigarette butts and bourbon for over 40 years) and the guy dresses like he buys his pants, sport coats and hats at the Salvation Army.  Not that I have anything against his appraoch, but it is his character and how he is able to be original with his music.  Here certainly seems like he bucks the trend where most popular music artists try to be one thing or another.  Tom Waits, meanwhile, is just who he is and doesn't really to be one who cares what people think of him.  His originality is tops in my book.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

That color would look really good on the HE-400, especially in matte. 

 

I believe the actual spray would be presented in a glossy finish. However, once you were able to have applied sufficient coats for the color and hammered appearance, a couple of coats of clear matte could easily be achieved to finish them off as you've pointed out.

 

I think I'm ready for some change on the HE-400s, which prompted me to pull out the colors of my old speakers.  Finding time to be able to do it, and correctly, would be next item, which is in short supply at the moment.


Edited by wje - 1/29/13 at 6:36am
post #6489 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

That color would look really good on the HE-400, especially in matte. 


It might even improve the sound to make them listenable again deadhorse.gif

post #6490 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Yes, you noticed it quickly.  It really appears we have a lot of parallel tastes with music.  I love Tom.  Excellent gravelly voice (soaked in cigarette butts and bourbon for over 40 years) and the guy dresses like he buys his pants, sport coats and hats at the Salvation Army. 

 

 

[off-topic-sorry]Any advice for one or two "good" album to begin with Tom waits ? beerchug.gif[/off-topic-sorry]


Edited by Sorrodje - 1/29/13 at 7:02am
post #6491 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post

If anyone is big into Video Game Music - I would also check out the Panzer Dragoon Series. That was always pretty awesome music for the day.

 

Other game music soundtracks that are a fantastic match for the HE-400:

Hotline Miami

Bastion

Fez

post #6492 of 17742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

[off-topic-sorry]Any advice for one or two "good" album to begin with Tom waits ? beerchug.gif [/off-topic-sorry]
Mule Variations is brilliant. Different but brilliant nonetheless. I liked a few of his early albums but can't recall the names.
post #6493 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyD View Post

 

Other game music soundtracks that are a fantastic match for the HE-400:

Hotline Miami

Bastion

Fez

I'll throw my hat into the ring with my favorite video game and, coincidentally, my favorite video game soundtrack: Phantom Dust for the original Xbox.

post #6494 of 17742

The best video game music is without a doubt The Moon level in DuckTales. This is not debateable

post #6495 of 17742
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

The best video game music is without a doubt The Moon level in DuckTales. This is not debateable

I am calling Hyperbole! Nothing beats Tomohiro Nishikado's 1978 classic, Space Invaders!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**