Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 418

post #6256 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

 

I envy you. You get to see jazz and blues artists live.

 

Here in Brazil they barely play mpb and bossa anymore. It's all about those "funk"(brazilian) and pop sertanejo("ai se eu te pego" like, but even worse) ****.

 

Thanks.  I'm eyeing Peter White for early March.  Excellent British Jazz guitarist.  Blues at the Crossroads (Fabulous Thunderbirds (feat. JImmy Vaughn)),  Diana Krall (early Feb, but sold out), Fourplay, the Cowboy Junkies in March, the Carolina Chocolate Drops in March, Boney James, etc.  There are really too many to list.  All within a hours' drive from my house. 

post #6257 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

First, the hd650 doesn't need an $800 amp to sound good. It sounds damned impressive on a used lyr for $350...but so does the he400. Honestly the he400 and hd650 sound pretty dang good on a fiio e09k for $100. The jump from e09 to lyr was very appreciable but I also enjoyed the heck out of both hp's on the e09 and an odac. 

 

The maddogs are a different story. They are geared more towards a flat response. For example, they do not color the bass but give it to you when the material calls for it. They are truly fine hp's and a steal at the price. They are what you might call a poor man's lcd2. Highly recommended. 

 

gL!!

 

Still, $400 is a big expenditure. And you definitely need a DAC and what does the lyr usually pair with? The Bifrost, which is another $349 which brings the price to $800 anyways. 

 

I read all of the testimonies on this forum and I can't say that most people believe that the e09k is sufficient. I have heard people say that the HD 650 sounds very mediocre until you get that $400 quality amp and then the sound becomes much better. Although you say different, still. 

 

Surely you have some sort of preference when it comes to the headphones listed in your signature? I would find it hard to believe that you listen to all of them equally. 

post #6258 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

 

Still, $400 is a big expenditure. And you definitely need a DAC and what does the lyr usually pair with? The Bifrost, which is another $349 which brings the price to $800 anyways. 

 

I read all of the testimonies on this forum and I can't say that most people believe that the e09k is sufficient. I have heard people say that the HD 650 sounds very mediocre until you get that $400 quality amp and then the sound becomes much better. Although you say different, still. 

 

Surely you have some sort of preference when it comes to the headphones listed in your signature? I would find it hard to believe that you listen to all of them equally. 

 

I realize you have quoted Matt's post, but please allow me to offer a bit of perspective here.  OK?

 

While one can buy the Schiit Lyr, you are not mandated to buy one of their DACs.  On the forum here, you can find the HTR Music Streamer II, which is an excellent piece of gear for only about $120, used.  It performs well above and beyond its price point.  Plus, it is an asynchronous USB DAC.

 

I've stopped taking people's opinions seriously a long time ago.  A minimum $400 amp for the HE-650s?  Not sure about that.  Keep in mind, audio price performance keeps going up, and we have benefited greatly from prices that tend to trend downwards.  While the somewhat-recent activity for Sennheiser to have their resellers stick to a fixed Minimum Advertised Pricing mechanism, all other headphones have had flat (no pun intended) prices for the past few years.  Or, their prices have dropped.  It's a free market system for the most part, and competition is what can either make or break a price-point.

 

Finally, I'll have to tell  you that, yes, Matt equally divides his time between all of his headphones so that none of them get jealous when he listens to one more than the other. biggrin.gif


Edited by wje - 1/26/13 at 11:46am
post #6259 of 18451

i was looking on ebay at "vintage speakers" while listening to captain beefheart....you should be careful what you ask for. i added randy in there because it says "to randy" obscure?

 

 

post #6260 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_toast View Post

i was looking on ebay at "vintage speakers" while listening to captain beefheart....you should be careful what you ask for. i added randy in there because it says "to randy" obscure?

 

 

 

I can appreciate a picture of Newt.  But, seeing the younger Gov. Christie in the picture sort of ruined it for me.  etysmile.gif

 

Yes, you really have to be careful on how you search eBay.  I've been led down a few dark alleys on that site on more than one occasion.

 

P.S. - My apologies to "Randy" - whoever he may be.

post #6261 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Thanks.  I'm eyeing Peter White for early March.  Excellent British Jazz guitarist.  Blues at the Crossroads (Fabulous Thunderbirds (feat. JImmy Vaughn)),  Diana Krall (early Feb, but sold out), Fourplay, the Cowboy Junkies in March, the Carolina Chocolate Drops in March, Boney James, etc.  There are really too many to list.  All within a hours' drive from my house. 

 

Wayne,

 

Where is this list of places?  I'll try to make a few.

post #6262 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Wayne,

 

Where is this list of places?  I'll try to make a few.

 

Yes.  But, I had to pull up four different sites to get the information. However, they were achieved from my various searches.

 

Diana Krall - The Stratmore.  Tickets appear to start @ $121.00, each.

 

The Cowboy Junkies - The Birchmere in Alexandria.  Two shows on different nights.  One will be the Trinity Sessions, and the other one will feature their set for their "Black Eyed Man" album.

 

Blues At the Crossroads - The Birchmere in Alexandria.

 

Fourplay - The Birchmere in Alexandria.

 

The Carolina Chocolate Drops - Standing @ The Birchmere in Alexandria.

 

Basically, I looked at concerts for: The Hamilton in Wash, DC, Blues Alley in Georgetown, The Birchmere in Alexandria and finally, The Strathmore Music Hall up by Rockville.  I'll be at the Hamilton tonight for Matt Schoefeld.  The Hamilton is 2 blocks from the White House.

post #6263 of 18451


How would you compare these to the Sennheiser HD650's or the Denon AH-D600? Im really interested in these headphones but have no idea how they compare to other phones since not many people own the HE-400's. Thanks! :)

post #6264 of 18451
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

 

Still, $400 is a big expenditure. And you definitely need a DAC and what does the lyr usually pair with? The Bifrost, which is another $349 which brings the price to $800 anyways. 

 

I read all of the testimonies on this forum and I can't say that most people believe that the e09k is sufficient. I have heard people say that the HD 650 sounds very mediocre until you get that $400 quality amp and then the sound becomes much better. Although you say different, still. 

 

Surely you have some sort of preference when it comes to the headphones listed in your signature? I would find it hard to believe that you listen to all of them equally. 

 

I think that you underestimate the powers of a frugal shopper. wink.gif I actually bought my lyr for $300 shipped on the used forum here. I had the odac with it which I got for $120 shipped. That is an off the charts stupidly enjoyable setup to my ears. All for $425 tax tag and title. I only switched to the bifrost because of jitter issues which turned out to be my mobo and nothing with the odac. All headphones get equal treatment and headtime at my house. 

 

Hd650 gets used most  in the morning because they are lightweight, comfortable and airy...somewhat like my wife. ph34r.gif Well, maybe not the airy part. The he400 and maddogs have to fight it out in the evening for serious listening. I do believe that the e09k with an odac is not only sufficient but a good pairing for the headphones I have. The lyr and bifrost while better are really just an indulgence because I had the money at the time and got a very good deal on them. 

post #6265 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Yes.  But, I had to pull up four different sites to get the information. However, they were achieved from my various searches.

 

Diana Krall - The Stratmore.  Tickets appear to start @ $121.00, each.

 

The Cowboy Junkies - The Birchmere in Alexandria.  Two shows on different nights.  One will be the Trinity Sessions, and the other one will feature their set for their "Black Eyed Man" album.

 

Blues At the Crossroads - The Birchmere in Alexandria.

 

Fourplay - The Birchmere in Alexandria.

 

The Carolina Chocolate Drops - Standing @ The Birchmere in Alexandria.

 

Basically, I looked at concerts for: The Hamilton in Wash, DC, Blues Alley in Georgetown, The Birchmere in Alexandria and finally, The Strathmore Music Hall up by Rockville.  I'll be at the Hamilton tonight for Matt Schoefeld.  The Hamilton is 2 blocks from the White House.

 

 

Gotcha,

 

Thanks a lot W...

post #6266 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiml3ss View Post


Ill try the J$ pads and report back. Should be ordering some this weekend.
Oh thank god. This is good news. Is there a big difference in the treble spike with the Aune t1 compared to no amp? Im starting to wondering of the tube route is the way to go. I've always been interested on tube rolling just never had an opportunity to buy one. Hmm.

 

I think there's not a big difference . Some of my Tubes give a bit more mids, more overall smoothness . hE-400 is V-shaped so trebles are quite proheminents. when adding a bit more mids, treble are still proheminent but (IMO) are better integrated in overall sound.

 

Nevertheless my advice is to take some time with your he 400 without spendind one more bucks . let your ears and brain adjust to the he-400 signature . then and only then you would decide if you need different DAC or amp :) . if you want to try tube sound, Aune T1 is a very good and very cheap option ;)


Edited by Sorrodje - 1/26/13 at 1:32pm
post #6267 of 18451
Thread Starter 

Patricia Barber's got a new one out "Smash" that sounds pretty amazing on the he400. biggrin.gif

post #6268 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Patricia Barber's got a new one out "Smash" that sounds pretty amazing on the he400. biggrin.gif

 

 

I was kinda disappointed in Smash.  Nothing like Cafe' Blue.   Maybe it will grow on me..

post #6269 of 18451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

I think there's not a big difference . Some of my Tubes give a bit more mids, more overall smoothness . hE-400 is V-shaped so trebles are quite proheminents. when adding a bit more mids, treble are still proheminent but (IMO) are better integrated in overall sound.

Nevertheless my advice is to take some time with your he 400 without spendind one more bucks . let your ears and brain adjust to the he-400 signature . then and only then you would decide if you need different DAC or amp smily_headphones1.gif . if you want to try tube sound, Aune T1 is a very good and very cheap option wink.gif

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I played some tunes today that pierced my skull earlier mid week and although they still are bright, they wearnt as bad as before. I think I'm adjusting to it. Just a tad bit more and these babies will be perfect.
post #6270 of 18451

Liking my Modi and Magni with these more and more each day. I feel like they're getting all the power they need, and some. I also cant, for the life of me, discern a difference between the Magni + attenuators and without (from a sound quality standpoint). The extra play on the volume knob is really nice with them in.

 

Been listening to a lot of video game music and chip-tune and it sounds great with the HE-400

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**