Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 414

post #6196 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

It adds bass, adds midrange, reduces treble, and improves soundstage?

Basically everything we want the HE400 to be improved upon. Yeah, that sounds like expectation bias to me. Sorry, but I'm calling BS on some of these things. Pad rolling, the new burn in.

I'm a skeptic because someone has to be. Nothing is ever that perfect. People go on by glowing impressions, and that leads to bias.

I may get a chance to listen to this, and if I do, I'm willing to bet its not all flowers and candy.

I applaud being a skeptic, but the jerg pads sound really good. I used to use an eq for the velours, but when I apply this eq to the jerg pads it sounds wrong, and just bad.

 

I will do some pad switching, but the jerg pads definitely sound better than the stock pleathers (by far!).


Edited by Marleybob217 - 1/25/13 at 3:37pm
post #6197 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The treble was fatiguing? That just doesn't make sense. The treble is so smooth, compared to the quite prominent treble on the HE400. If there is one thing I can personally say about the HD650, its that its the most pleasant, unfatiguing headphone I have ever heard.

Maybe that burson is raising the treble to some nasty levels, because HD650 and fatiguing treble, don't belong in the same sentence.

Nonono, you're misunderstanding. I meant that the treble was a tad brighter / more fatiguing compared to my HE500 (which I also brought to the shop I demo'd from), and the difference is likely in tonal balance around the lower treble. In terms of upper treble HD650s sound very refined (much better than HE400s), just a bit more blurred vs HE500.

 

We are talking small differences on a relative level here, and compared to the venerable HE500 which are known to have one of the most forgiving and non-fatiguing yet detailed trebles out there.

post #6198 of 18124

 

I just wanted to post my version of the Jergpads.

 

Regarding sound quality: the sound overal is much more balanced, I just cut 2 db in the 10khz region, and even this isn't necessary.

The velours have a slightly bigger soundstage, and there is a bit more space between sounds (seperation).

 

I did do a mod on the pleathers by just removing the spacers, but this actually sounded even more unbalanced than the stock velours.

However removing the spacers and adding the other modifications of jerg transformed the frequency response drastically. No more obvious peaks and valleys.

 

I'm sticking to the Jergs!

 

(until I get the j$, than I stick to the J$s)

 

ps: sorry for taking up so much space

post #6199 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

 

I just wanted to post my version of the Jergpads.

 

Regarding sound quality: the sound overal is much more balanced, I just cut 2 db in the 10khz region, and even this isn't necessary.

The velours have a slightly bigger soundstage, and there is a bit more space between sounds (seperation).

 

I did do a mod on the pleathers by just removing the spacers, but this actually sounded even more unbalanced than the stock velours.

However removing the spacers and adding the other modifications of jerg transformed the frequency response drastically. No more obvious peaks and valleys.

 

I'm sticking to the Jergs!

 

(until I get the j$, than I stick to the J$s)

 

ps: sorry for taking up so much space

 

Nice photo :)

What do you find wrong with the velours?

Other than the comfort (a slight issue though) I dont find them unbalanced at all. Perhaps ever so slightly bright tilted but balanced IMO

 

I will b trying the stock denom pads (Lawton). Should be similar to the JMoney Beyer in terms of everything

post #6200 of 18124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Nonono, you're misunderstanding. I meant that the treble was a tad brighter / more fatiguing compared to my HE500 (which I also brought to the shop I demo'd from), and the difference is likely in tonal balance around the lower treble. In terms of upper treble HD650s sound very refined (much better than HE400s), just a bit more blurred vs HE500.

 

We are talking small differences on a relative level here, and compared to the venerable HE500 which are known to have one of the most forgiving and non-fatiguing yet detailed trebles out there.

 

The hd650 are somewhat legendary for a reason. wink.gif The clamp will comform to your head pretty quickly...usually about two days. This is due to pad compression. The are certainly not perfect and probably more a contender than a complement against the he400. With the right amp they make for a nice listen though.

post #6201 of 18124
Ditto on HeadAmp!
post #6202 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

Nice photo :)

What do you find wrong with the velours?

Other than the comfort (a slight issue though) I dont find them unbalanced at all. Perhaps ever so slightly bright tilted but balanced IMO

 

I will b trying the stock denom pads (Lawton). Should be similar to the JMoney Beyer in terms of everything

They still have a gap in the upper mids which I can hear quite clearly on some recordings. Some guitars play on just those frequencies, and those guitars are moved way back in the recording.

 

Some eqing helps a lot with the velours, but the jergs still sound better without an eq.

 

And yeah the jergs are much more comfortable (maybe a bit sweaty in hot weather though).

post #6203 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

Nice photo :)

What do you find wrong with the velours?

Other than the comfort (a slight issue though) I dont find them unbalanced at all. Perhaps ever so slightly bright tilted but balanced IMO

 

I will b trying the stock denom pads (Lawton). Should be similar to the JMoney Beyer in terms of everything

 

I don't think that the two will be anywhere close.  I have owned two pair of the Denon J$ pads, which are just like the Lawton Audio pads  They are too thick in the back and they have oval ear openings which tend to block some of the drive output.  But, I do encourage you to try them.  We're always open to hearing the experience of someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and try something out for the benefit of sharing their views with the members here.

 

Enjoy!

post #6204 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

The hd650 are somewhat legendary for a reason. wink.gif The clamp will comform to your head pretty quickly...usually about two days. This is due to pad compression. The are certainly not perfect and probably more a contender than a complement against the he400. With the right amp they make for a nice listen though.

 

Since we're talking about Sennheisers here tonight, I did get two new pair of 'phones today.  The HD-600s arrived via UPS as a new purchase.  I then purchased the HD-558, which I will use as my night time / sleeping headphones for listening to blues and jazz.

 

I've only listened to both on my my Sansa Fuze so far, with no amplification.  I think I really like the signature of both - yet, I need time to have the drivers loosen up and also time to push 'em with my headphone listening gear for a better perspective.  Hopefully, the experience will only get better and not head the other way.  Also, this week, I sold off 3 pair of "on ear" headphones.  I've now been able to confirm fully to myself that on ear headphones are the devil.  I despise the level of discomfort that they place on my ears.  On ears, be gone !!!

post #6205 of 18124

Guy's, I totally freaking goofed. I got a notice today from the post office about holding my package until the 1st. Since my mom brought me home a package (my personal pair) from the mailbox about a week and a half ago and I had a packing slip, I figured she picked it up for me from the post office and kept the slip. Also I never even got a notice from Jeremy that he had shipped them to me, still haven't until this day... So I'm extremely sorry guys, also sorry is you shelled out the extra cash being a Cannuck and ordered from wje. I got a ton of pads, some for other headphones as well, you'll see the list included in the picture as well as some Grado headphones, I have 30 Beyer pads b-stock and I'm sure that is what most of you are concerned about. Here is the box of glory and again, sorry about my mistake, miscommunication and ironic timing. 

 

EDIT: All of the pad's are b-stock, my bad, I got excited and misread some of the initial message. None the less, some of them are pretty good but Jeremy hasn't told me what to charge. If you want retail pads please PM wje. 

 

But guys, these Grado headbands are NICE!!! Wow, some big time quality in those things. 

 

 

 

What you see on top is the Denon b-stock. 

 

wje, please PM me as Jeremy hasn't given me any details on anything. 


Edited by YGuyG - 1/25/13 at 5:57pm
post #6206 of 18124

^^ what happened there?

 

Anywayz, how would the hd650 compliment the HE-500?

post #6207 of 18124
Jerg pads? Wow, I am out of the loop. Gonna try and find out more about it, but I loved the grill mods a lot, so I trust whatever he's cooked up this time won't disappoint!
post #6208 of 18124

Hey guys,

 

Had a quick question regarding the treble spike with the HE-400's. Does it 'tame' after the 150 hour burn in mark that hifiman claims you should do in the manual? Most songs sound brilliant but I'm not sure if I can live with this spike. It feels like its piercing my brain in some songs. If it doesn't subdue, can anyone show me how to control it via EQ?

 

Also, my Schiit stack should be arriving early next week so that potentially could subdue it? If not, do you guys recommend going the route of tubes? 

 

Sorry I am a complete noob in this area. Thanks for bearing with me.

 

Happy listenings! beerchug.gif


Edited by Aiml3ss - 1/25/13 at 6:06pm
post #6209 of 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Jerg pads? Wow, I am out of the loop. Gonna try and find out more about it, but I loved the grill mods a lot, so I trust whatever he's cooked up this time won't disappoint!

Just click the link in my signature

 

 |

 |

V

post #6210 of 18124
Mobile version, no sigs displayed. Found the link through some forum crawling, thanks!

Edit: Seems easy enough, I'll get to poking when I come back.
Edited by TwinQY - 1/25/13 at 6:47pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**